Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2003 7:27:49 PM EDT
Hey guys.  I posted this in the maintenance/cleaning forum also but I wanted to see what ya'll suggested too.  I just fininshed my first lower!  Yea!

Everything went pretty well.  I had a slight problem with the selector detent, but got that fixed.  Everything seems to function fine.   Anyway, I taped up the receiver, but did manage to get one or two small scratches.  Nothing anyone would probably notice, but I'll know they are there.  I was wondering if ya'll could reccomend anything to touch-up these spots.  All parts are RRA.  Thanks for the help as always!

Hershey

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:51:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Through advice from this board I purchased Aluma Black from Brownells.  I think its made by Birchwood.  It worked perfect.  I also have a RRA lower and after applying the solution you can't even tell.

If I remember right its only a few bucks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Inquiring minds want to know what the detent problem was and how you fixed it?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#3]

I posted an earlier question in regards to my detent problem.  But this is what happened.  

When I put the selector in, it spun freely.  Good to go there.  Then I put the detent, spring, and grip on.  Didn't fasten it, just held it in place to make sure the selector would rotate.  It didn't.  So I removed the grip and spring and used a drill bit to make sure the channel in the grip didn't have any burrs.  Reassembled and had the same problem, the selector wouldn't move.  Disassembled again and cut one coil off the spring.  Reassembled, same problem.  I went to disassemble for a third time, but this time I was going to remove the detent also.  But it didn't want to come out.  Tried to move the selector, nothing.  It was so tight that with nothing holding it in, it wouldn't come out, and the selector wouldn't move.  Couldn't figure out how to get it out.  Tried some oil, no luck.  tried tapping on the side of the receiver, no luck.  Started thinking about thermal expansion, figured maybe the brass detent and aluminum lower would expand/contract at diff rates.  Stuck the lower in the freezer.  Tapped the sides, no luck.  Then with the receiver still cold, heated area around detent with hair dryer, hoping the aluminum would expand first.  No luck.  Finally I gave it a firm talking to with a hammer and puch, figuring that as the selector was pushed out, it would push the detent out.  It WORKED, out came the selector and detent.  Then I used a drill bit to make sure the channel in the lower was free of burrs, and the holes which the selector passes.  Applied a little oil, reassembled and all works well!

Actually, it may turn a bit too easy.  I might buy another spring and play around with it if I don't like it.

Putting the lower together was really fun!  It was neat to do it myself!  Now I cant wait for my upper, a few mags, my ARMS #40, and some rounds from AMMOMAN!  Thanks for ya'lls help.  I'm going to try the Aluma Black.

Later

Hershey

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Be proud of your rifle's battle scars! :)
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is a hack that is so half-assed it is kind of beautiful--

Rustoleum Black High Temperature spray paint matches RRA color PERFECTLY. I mean, exactly.

It even textures right!

Now, it's not tough or solvent resistive, but is just  $4 AND you can paint your charcoal grill with it, too.

Yeah, the alumablack is better-- but this is Q&D

Pete
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I posted an earlier question in regards to my detent problem.

View Quote

Yup. I was on pins and needles waiting to see how you fixed it so that I could learn from your mistakes. Yeah, that's it.

Finally I gave it a firm talking to with a hammer and puch, figuring that as the selector was pushed out, it would push the detent out.  It WORKED, out came the selector and detent.
View Quote

Aha! The pearls of wisdom for which I so longed.

Oh, and stinkeypete, thanks to you, also. I just so happen to have a can of that from some grill maintenance...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top