Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2003 7:06:12 AM EDT
Hey guys, I am starting my first lower. I have an OLy arms lower and parts kit from Model 1 sales. I have printed the instruction guide from the home page. I have fairly good knowledge of firearm assembly (i.e. complete disassembly of ever pistol I own for a detail cleaning, and they still work :).

So the question is anything special or little tips or tricks to make it easier? Anything you did that was a mistake and would not do again? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Pops, go slow, it's ok to put a little tape down to keep from maring an area.  You can assemble the front pivot pin in a plastic bag to keep from loosing the spring and detent(ask me how I know).  Have fun.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, make sure that all holes are clean, if you can check...that way when you put stuff in it fits.

For the pivot, a 1/4" clevis pin can aid in installing the spring/detent.  I suggest still using the bag, just incase it flies.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Not sure who originally posted this tip, but I'm giving it now because it works great.

For installing the roll pins use a set of channel locks (I use the small Craftsmen Robo Grip) wrapped with tape.  This way you can press/squeeze the pins in instead of hammering them in.

You might also want to bevel the starting end of the roll pins and use a little oil on them.
Scott
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#4]
What is the plastic bag trick? I havn't heard of it. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#5]
pops, you need to use something to act as a backstop for WHEN the detent and spring come flying out of the receiver when you try to install them hehehe.  I used a cardboard box with a rag in it...and pointed the front of the receiver towareds it while I tried to install the detent and spring...the box caught the pieces nicely until I gave up trying and used the tool I'd ordered from brownells.  While it is possible to do it without the tool, if you have patience and some manual dexterity, for those of us who are challenged in those area, the tool really helps.  I would imigine using a plastic bag to assemble the pieces in would accomplish the same thing.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What is the plastic bag trick? I havn't heard of it. Thanks for the info.
View Quote

Well, Fenian has the answer to the plastic bag:

Quoted:
pops, you need to use something to act as a backstop for WHEN the detent and spring come flying out of the receiver when you try to install them hehehe. I used a cardboard box with a rag in it...and pointed the front of the receiver towareds it while I tried to install the detent and spring...the box caught the pieces nicely until I gave up trying and used the tool I'd ordered from brownells. While it is possible to do it without the tool, if you have patience and some manual dexterity, for those of us who are challenged in those area, the tool really helps. I would imigine using a plastic bag to assemble the pieces in would accomplish the same thing.
View Quote

He's using a box, some have assembled inside a clear trash bag.  The "tool" is necessary, believe me.
[:)]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I just finished my first today.  The Clevis pin was invaluable at a cost of 79 cents.  I should of used the bag, on first attempt (with a towel over my head) the detent and spring launched.  The towel caught the detent, but not the spring.  I used the other and found the first in time for the takedown pin install.  For the boltcatch, my punch was to big around the upper shaft to use as a slave pin, so I used an alan wrench.  Also had to get a set of long handled alan wrenches for the grip screw.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top