Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2003 2:15:17 PM EDT
I need to know where I can get a video and some lit. on how to fully assemble and disassemble the ar. I am pretty good with the m-16 from the past 8 years in the Corps.  I need to know more, and what tools I need and where to get the specialized ones---Please help me out with this.
I am being offerewd an armorers job at my jail because of my military background with them, mostly to trouble shoot and maintain, but I wanna be able to fix the major stuff too---thanks again
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Just order you 1 of them USMC M16A2 reprints that are out there... Find them at the gunshow, maybe order from Bushmaster I think.

8 yr in the Corps, you should know the rifle inside and out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I do know it inside and out, but I have never installed a new bbl, or changed out a crappy old trigger for a match grade trigger group. As far as the normal stuff I am good to go
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to this link and download everything you can. Don't try to print them out, they are around 300 pages each. These will get you going for the basic maintenance. After you get hired, try to get your department to send you to a Patrol Rifle school and an Instructors/Armorers course. These will cover the specific items you need to know to protect yourself and your Department from a liability issue (read LAWSUIT). Tools can be had at any local gunshow or the major manufacturers. If your Department is footing the bill, get the M-16/AR-15 tool kits from Brownells. They have just about everything you need to build or fix them.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/content/books/[/url]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#4]
[url=www.americangunsmith.com/ar15.html]AGI[/url][b] makes a pretty good Armorers video for the AR-15 . They also have one call Build the AR-15 which I like more .  Some guys here don't care for the AGI videos but IMO their good stuff. Good Luck

SaFe ShOoTiNg
Jerry [):)][/b]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Go to this link and download everything you can. Don't try to print them out, they are around 300 pages each. These will get you going for the basic maintenance. After you get hired, try to get your department to send you to a Patrol Rifle school and an Instructors/Armorers course. These will cover the specific items you need to know to protect yourself and your Department from a liability issue (read LAWSUIT). Tools can be had at any local gunshow or the major manufacturers. If your Department is footing the bill, get the M-16/AR-15 tool kits from Brownells. They have just about everything you need to build or fix them.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/content/books/[/url]
View Quote

Anyone know why I can't download the PDFs at the bottom of that page?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:41:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Try clicking on the little [red][size=5]ARROWS[/size=5][/red]. The title is not the link.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Tat2u, the Marine Corps Tech Manual will provide you with a wealth of info.  

As for specialty tools, an armorers wrench and a receiver block will, along with the stuff I'm sure you already own (punches, hammer, etc), will allow you to take off/re-install barrels.  As for triggers, they're not that hard, the standard match triggers just drop in, no adjustment (they Jewells and others are a different story, since there are some that need adjusting).  

Also, just search the board here for the kinds of issues that likely come up...canted front sight post, stubborn front sight taper pins, stuff like that.  

Outside of installing the barrel extension, there's nothing that should hang you up.  If you have a couple of hundred to invest in some parts, you could build a rifle...great experience for what you're gonna be doing.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top