Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2003 6:04:40 AM EDT
I am looking into building my own AR-15. I want to build a varmint rig. I live close to FAC in Minneapolis and called them this morning. They have no stock on DPMS stripped lowers. They do have stock on Olympic lowers. Is Olympic a good place to start. Their price is $100 + $10 FFL fee. Thanks for the help. eagle308us
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#1]
i like rock river, and bushmonster, but oly should be good
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#3]
It is a forged Oly receiver. They have a cast for less but I am not interested in that.

You are correct in your statement. The lower is $100 and then $10 for the transfer.

I have seen the add for Mega and was also thinking of going that way. I am actually looking for (2) stripped lowers and (2) strippde flat top uppers. I am going to build a rig for me and one for my dad for christmas.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Wholesale Guns & Ammo has forged lowers of excellent quality for $88.99 each with free shipping if you order 2 or more.   I just built an A2 using one and fit and finish is great.  Talk at ya' later.  TN.Frank

P.S.
Most of the time you can order and pay for the lower your self and save paying tax at your dealers.  That's what I did, he only charged me a $20 fee to accept the lowers plus the $10 insta-check fee we have here in Tennessee.  All total I got two lowers for around $105 each.  Not to shabby for a quality lower.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two lowers from these guys:
[url]http://www.continentalmachinetool.com/firearms.html[/url]

Completed build number 1 and awaiting parts for number 2.

Local FFL has them on sale for $80.00/ea or $150.00 for an upper and lower.

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#7]
granted they're fairly expensive, but for a varmint rig you cant get any better than a socom mfg lower.  Milled out of a solid brick of aircraft aluminum.  I am very pleased with mine
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.carricozarmory.com/[/url]

They sell the "mega" lowers.  They are out of Washington.  Last I heard, there was a discount if you are an AR15.com member.  Not sure if it's still current though...

Olympic is also made here in WA.  They have good firearms also.

While the lower is important, the "most" important will be the upper selection and what trigger you put in it.  That's what I think.

Bushmaster, RRA, Oly, Colt, Mega and a bunch of other companies.... they're all good.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Another source for the MEGA lower is SARCO.  They also sell the flat top upper and detachable carry handle.  They sell these components individually or as sets.

DG
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top