Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2003 12:56:39 PM EDT
I am looking for suppliers of a "Full Floating Integral Rail System Handguard" (FIRSH) in the 16" carbine length.  The Olympic Arms one looks good, but I would like to compare it to others if possible.

Thanks, Harry
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#1]
You can read the reviews in the barrel/ upper section.  They should be available through any Oly dealer.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a FIRSH but traded it off.  It felt like a coke can in my hand!  I went ahead and saved up for an RAS and couldn't be happier!  The RAS is a hell of a lot easier to install.

DG
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Triple Break Products will take care of ya:

http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had a FIRSH but traded it off.  It felt like a coke can in my hand!  I went ahead and saved up for an RAS and couldn't be happier!  The RAS is a hell of a lot easier to install.

DG
View Quote

A FIRSH isn't exactly what I would call hard to install.  I can't figure the coke can part out.....whaddya mean?
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Try a FIRSH from FAC for $100.,you'll like it!  I can't figure out the Coke can part either,it does what I need,nothing less.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe he's referring to the thiknkess of the metal or something...that's the only thing I can think of.  

I ended up with the Liberator II handguards from Fulton Armory, since I could drive there and get them the day I wanted them.  They're very nice, they feel very sturdy, and were easy to put on...I had specifically ordered the upper with no brake in anticipation of putting on either the FIRSH or some other rail system.  

I'm sure either of these 2 will do what you need.  You can pop over to the FA site and check 'em out.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm referring to the feel of the hand guard.  It's as big around as a coke can with the rail covers installed.  Installing the FIRSH requires removing the flash suppressor, front sight tower, original barrel nut, and slip ring assembly.  RAS goes on like the old handguards with the exception of an allen screw.

DG
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, guys for all of your responses!

In the meantime,I have been looking at the DPMS and FA Enterprises(Brownells) models with solid ribs of the M1913 rails as opposed to Olympic's split down the center extruded rails.

Fenian, in regards to Fulton's Liberator II, do you know if the top rail is at the same height as the flattop rail?  The DPMS model's rail is lower in height by their estimation of about 1/16".

In regard to the RAS, I don't have a problem w/ dismantling gas block, etc. as it is all apart now anyways.  From what I understand, the RAS installs like standard handguards and does not float the barrel like a FIRSH.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Harry
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:38:19 AM EDT
[#9]
HarryD, the Lib II rails are the exact height of the flat top...it's whatever upper Model 1 uses, don't know the brand.

If you've already got the barrel off, etc., then these go on just like a regular float tube...its got it's own barrel nut and lock washer.  Very easy installation.  This is a very solid unit in terms of the metal thickness...much heavier than my Hogue tube, fwiw.  I would certainly recommend a vertical grip if you're gonna get this forend...even with the rail style covers installed, it will feel huge when you grip it.  

After I got this installed, I kicked myself in the ass for NOT getting the ARMS #38 extended...I had gotten the Std. model, not knowing I would get this fore end.  Oh, well, live and learn hehehe.  I'd like to have my scope a little more forward...very long (5") eye relief on the Aetec scope I have on this particular rifle.  

Here's a pic...please excuse the cheesy mount for the Surelight...too poor to get an ARMS right now lol:
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/188491/libII.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:23:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Fenian,
Thanks for the follow-up information.  I believe that I like the Fulton Arms best due to the top rail being the same height as the flattop rail (for future possible optic additions).  Thanks also for the photo.  I don't have anything to directly compare it to, but it seems that it might be similar in diameter to the M4 double heat shield handguard.  Of course if you add full-coverage rail covers, it would get a bit bigger...possibly the slim-line rail covers would be better?
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:35:40 AM EDT
[#11]
FWIW, the FIRSH also features rails at the same height as that of the flattop upper receiver's, and the rail is continuous and uninterrupted.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought the mid-length FIRSH and I agree with the other poster that stated the diameter of the handguard is too big... if you aren't using a forward grip, it's very clumsy...

I think I'm gonna sell mine off, anyone interested?
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I may be interested in taking that midlength FIRSH off your hands.

Hershey
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#14]
[B]Here's a pic...please excuse the cheesy mount for the Surelight...too poor to get an ARMS right now lol:[/B]

I know a military team that is using there lights set up the way yours is in that pic, and they are not exactly a leg unit.

I can understand the coke can when you refer to the diameter.  I have pretty large hands, and I don't have any issue with it, but I pull off the magwell or use a forward grip, so its a moot point for me.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top