Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/8/2003 7:06:02 PM EDT
I recently started the installation of a KAC FF Ras on my Fulton Armory upper. After a bunch of experimenting I figured outa good technique for removing the fake flash suppressor and gas block, so I feel like I am most of the way there. However I still have to remove my barrel nut.

I don't have a bench vise nor a bench to mount one. I attempted to use my shooting bench, as it is based on a black and decker workmate table/vise, but it wouldn't hold the action block. I have been looking all over the house for a good place to clamp it down with a c clamp and some wood, but so far everything starts making noise like its going to break. I am using an action block. Any clever ideas? By the way, this nut is standard threading right? I turn it left to loosen just like most any other nut? Any tips appreciated.

Thanks,
--Dan
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:58:00 PM EDT
Park your truck on top of it. Or buy a vise. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 8:03:03 PM EDT
Nope! Nothing beats a bench mounted vice... unless that would be a barrel vice... at any rate, like any job, you need stability to make it work out right... 15 minutes in a neighborhood service station, will save you several hours of grief and broken shadetree fixtures! And you are correct! Lefty Lucy, Righty Tighty! Although, one of my rules of life, is: "Upside down backwards, is always, upside down backwards!" In short, make sure your looking at it from the front! till...later...GT
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:32:32 AM EDT
I found an old small heavy wooden table at the thrift store for $12 bucks and I bolted a vise to it.Its 2'x 3' and I have used it to do all my AR work. I use an action block and you do need it held in a vise.Look around for an old wooden table and get a "good" vise. If you are like me, we dont have a nice big garage or work shop with a bench...We need to improvise, but dont try to attach or detach parts when the peice is not held down well or it my turn to tears. I learned my lesson in the past.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 9:16:34 AM EDT
I have a real neat old cutting block in the kitchen, its in horrible shape but it has some style to it. It must weigh 300-400lbs. I just mentioned to my wife that I could bolt a vice to it and when I was done there would just be a couple small holes in it. "Did you really think I would go for that?" was her reply. Ha Ha, --Dan
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 10:17:33 AM EDT
When I got divorced I bolted a vice to my coffee table.[:D] Its removable, so I dont leave it there. I once left it on for a week.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:53:33 PM EDT
LOL
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:43:50 PM EDT
NOTE TO ALL AMATEUR AR-15 GUNSMITHS: I found a 100% rock solid alternative when a good bench vise just isn't available. I took a 6" C clamp down the street to a playground with concrete picnic tables. The concrete tabletop were about 3" thick, so combined with the action block, I had about 1/2" to spare from a 6" C clamp. I clamped the action block down to the concrete table and cranked the barrel nut right off, no problem. I installed the new barrel nut and torqued on it until a hole lined up for the gas tube. This was 100% solid, I had no trouble at all. --Dan
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:42:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dangus: I took a 6" C clamp down the street to a playground with concrete picnic tables.
View Quote
You worked on an AR at a playground. That was a good idea. Not!
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:59:58 PM EDT
Well, it was only an upper assembly, and it wasn't an A2 style, so it didn't scream "machine gun". I kept the barrel wrapped up in a t-shirt to be more secretive too. Trust me, I thought it over plenty before I walked down to the playground. It was a late saturday afternoon and damn it, I HAD to try it. Have a look at the finished product: http://home.pacbell.net/dankgus/rifle/RAS.jpg --Dan
Top Top