Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/26/2003 6:09:33 AM EDT
I have been planning my next AR15 carefuly, this one is to be a light/medium walking varmint rifle.

I want a free-floated 20" (probably stainless steel) barrel of medium contour, fluted to reduce weight, a flattop upper with a 2-7x compact scope. No iron sights. The idea being to have something easy to carry for a long hike and accurate enough for prarrie dogs out to 250 yards. I am willing to give up long shot string rapid fire point of aim stability for a lighter barrel this time.

My last concern is porting the barrel. This should reduce the flip-up of the barrel, but I really do not want to make it louder (for the shooter) as I will occasionally need to make quick shots without hearing protection.

I had not concidered porting previously, but what do you guys think for this application?
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 12:53:03 PM EDT
I think its a bad idea, especially when you throw in no "ears".
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 1:56:14 PM EDT
Porting is usually done to reduce recoil and/or muzzle rise. The AR has almost no recoil anyway. Why waste the money?
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 2:21:14 PM EDT
Thanks for the input, I was pretty much decided against porting and it is good to see agreement. On a full-auto M16 porting or a muzzle brake would be beneficial to help control the burst, but I'm a long way from that situation.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 2:30:35 PM EDT
The military doesn't seem to need them on FA, I never did. There is no question that it helps tame recoil/ muzzle rise, but I would question how much of that exists or how much it is needed an the AR platform.
Top Top