Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2003 8:51:45 AM EDT
I have picked up a flat top upper with a threaded barrel and A2 flash hider and would like to put it on a "post-ban" lower.  What do I need to do to make it "legal"?

Thanks
Wcoyote
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#1]
One of the following:

Remove the threads
or
Put on a muzzel brake and have it silver soldered on so it can not be removed unless heated above 1100 degree's
or
the lower must be modified to a fixed magazine or remove the pistol grip and add grip that curves in to the stock kinda like a "normal" bolt action style rifle.

Link Posted: 7/19/2003 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Wait for the ban to sunset next year. Write your Congress critters and make sure they know you don't want the ban renewed. The stuff Labrat454 posted will make it legal if you just can't wait.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#3]
jus to clarify, on sum barrels if you remove the threads by cuttin the barrel back it could make the barrel lenght shorter than 16" which isnt legal, jus have a muzzle brake silver soldered on, Kurts Kustom etc. has brakes that look like the A2 flashhider, jus closed on the end, and if ya have a bayo lug, jus dremal it off, or enough to make it non-functioning.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The bayonet lug must be ground off.  The spot can be touched up with TouchUp Blue and will not look bad.

A comp or brake, NOT a FLASH hider needs to be added and permanently silver soldered, welded, pinned, etc.  Any device you put on the muzzle may not have a diameter of 22 mm, in which case it is considered a grenade launcher.

The Cav Comp from Cavalry Arms is a good one.  Works well keeping the muzzle jump down, does not seem any noisier than the original flash, does not look much different from the A2 hider.  It screws on, and then you drill through the hole in the bottom about 1/16", and drive in a blind pin.  Then you weld over the pin.  This can be ground smooth and fixed with touchup blue, too, for a neat job.  I like this as not much heat gets to the barrel itself.  Just a quick dab of the rod and the hole is welded over.  This is one of the least damaging, and objectionable comps around.

These two changes, to remove the flash hider and make the threads inaccessable, and to remove the bayo lug, will make this upper legal on any lower.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#5]
if ya wanna play it sneaky there are little barrel extension thingys that screw onto the threads and make it look like a normal barrel.
im not exactly sure where to get em but ive seen them around plenty of times.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 7:42:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll like to know where to get them myself. Anyone have a link or address??
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:42:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I knew there was one becaseu I saw it and could not for the life of me remember.  I posted in the AR forum and found it with the help of someone.  Here it is.  Lal you have to do it get the thread protector and have it soldered on and it looks great.

[url]www.schustersnuts.com[/url]

[img]http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/acimages/Thread%20Protector.jpg[/img]

or [img]http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/acimages/Thread%20Protector%20k.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#8]
800mrts
That is what I was looking for also.  Thanks for the link.
Wcoyote
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:53:21 AM EDT
[#9]
That is what I figured.  That is the way I would go personally, because you can get it soldered on and in the event that the ban goes away you can have it removed and do what you want with it after some cleanup of the solder.  Plus it looks damn good and IMO better than some of the Comps out there.  Glad to help
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:37:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks [b]800Mtrs[/b]for the link. I went there and after a little searching found them. They are just what the doctor ordered.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#11]
also cant you just replace the front sight instead of grinding it off?  Just a thought.  I was under the impression the bayo lug is part of the front sight.  Why ruin it is you can just replace it.  Guess it depends on your faith in the AWB not being renewed.  I am on the fence on that one myself.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#12]
The upper I have does not have a bayo lug.  It only has the threaded barrel.  I am going to have the cap silver soddered on and that will make it OK.

I am slightly over 50% on the NON renewal of the AWB.

Wcoyote
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top