Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/17/2003 6:30:38 PM EDT
Here's my problem. I want a rifle that I can shoot the p!ss out of, but I would like to have 1MOA accuracy. I'm not interested in 16" barrels, only 20". Will one of the kits from Model 1 Sales, M&A Parts or J&T distributing do. It's my first AR and I need some advice. Oh yeah, it also has to be standard configuration in case I want to shoot a service rifle match (notice I didn't say compete). Thanks,
Paul
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 12:26:47 AM EDT
Kit build it from Oly and get the SUM barrel.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:30:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/18/2003 7:34:42 AM EDT by stinkeypete]
If you want to build, build . If you want to shoot, buy. If you want true "sub moa", reload. I never got a bargain buying a cheap gun, and I have yet to regret buying a gun built by a top 'smith-- and they don't cost much more, either. Here is what I did- bought a complete RRA nat'l match lower and a stripped lower. A RRA varmint upper. Now I've been collecting parts from all over to make my "ultimate plinker", and I have a nice RRA varminter to compare against. I have something to shoot in the day, and something to monkey with in the evening. All in all, shooting is a cheap hobby. Compare it to buying a boat, or motorcycle, or even golf. See what the market is for used golf clubs compared to a used RRA varminter! It sounds to me like you want a good trigger. Add $100 for the trigger and $100 for the lower receiver, and $100 for shipping, FFL transfer and your time... kits are not really money savers, but are a great learning and hobby deal. Pete
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:31:33 AM EDT
BUSHMASTER
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 1:53:29 PM EDT
liberty777, I got an inch out of my 16" Model 1 kit with handloads the first day at the range with it. I don't think those loads are even tailored to a 16" barrel, since I worked that load up in my 20". There's no reason why a kit gun from one of the major companies shouldn't do an inch for you too...they all use some sort of name brand barrel.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 8:26:36 AM EDT
I have a M@A 20" A2 it has a wilson barrel and will shoot moa of the bench sometimes luck plays its part but for low cost AR its worth a try. Bill
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 12:57:33 PM EDT
I have 2 heavy uppers from model 1. One is a 16" stainless and the other is a 24" stainless flutted. The 16" gets 3/4" or better and the 24" gets 1/2" at 100 consistently with Winchester varmint ammo. I am sure I can get better with handloadsbut then again they shoot good now. By the way they were both built from scratch on homemade lowers.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 6:57:48 PM EDT
Stinkepete, I think your golf analogy is flawed...I have one set of golf clubs...and 4, soon to be 5 ARs lol. Can't see myself buyging 4 more sets of clubs [:D]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:01:31 PM EDT
So you buy your golf clubs by the COMPLETE SET? I would think a fella would buy 'em one at a time, replacing displeasing clubs, to eventually get what he liked. I think golf is an OK game. If the balls blew up where they hit... then you would have something. Pete
Top Top