Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/17/2003 6:30:38 PM EDT
Here's my problem.  I want a rifle that I can shoot the p!ss out of, but I would like to have 1MOA accuracy.  I'm not interested in 16" barrels, only 20".  Will one of the kits from Model 1 Sales, M&A Parts or J&T distributing do.  It's my first AR and I need some advice.  Oh yeah, it also has to be standard configuration in case I want to shoot a service rifle match (notice I didn't say compete). Thanks,
Paul
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 12:26:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Kit build it from Oly and get the SUM barrel.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want to build, build .

If you want to shoot, buy.

If you want true "sub moa", reload.

I never got a bargain buying a cheap gun, and I have yet to regret buying a gun built by a top 'smith-- and they don't cost much more, either.

Here is what I did- bought a complete RRA nat'l match lower and a stripped lower. A RRA varmint upper.

Now I've been collecting parts from all over to make my "ultimate plinker", and I have a nice RRA varminter to compare against.

I have something to shoot in the day, and something to monkey with in the evening.

All in all, shooting is a cheap hobby. Compare it to buying a boat, or motorcycle, or even golf. See what the market is for used  golf clubs compared to a used RRA varminter!

It sounds to me like you want a good trigger. Add $100 for the trigger and $100 for the lower receiver, and $100 for shipping, FFL transfer and your time... kits are not really money savers, but are a great learning and hobby deal.

Pete

Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:31:33 AM EDT
[#3]
BUSHMASTER
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#4]
liberty777, I got an inch out of my 16" Model 1 kit with handloads the first day at the range with it.  I don't think those loads are even tailored to a 16" barrel, since I worked that load up in my 20".  

There's no reason why a kit gun from one of the major companies shouldn't do an inch for you too...they all use some sort of name brand barrel.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2003 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a M@A 20" A2 it has a wilson barrel and will shoot moa of the bench sometimes luck plays its part but for low cost AR its worth a try.
   Bill
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 2 heavy uppers from model 1.
One is a 16" stainless and the other is a 24" stainless flutted.  The 16" gets 3/4" or better and the 24" gets 1/2" at 100 consistently with Winchester varmint ammo.  I am sure I can get better with handloadsbut then again they shoot good now.  By the way they were both built from scratch on homemade lowers.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Stinkepete, I think your golf analogy is flawed...I have one set of golf clubs...and 4, soon to be 5 ARs lol.  Can't see myself buyging 4 more sets of clubs [:D]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#8]
So you buy your golf clubs by the COMPLETE SET?  I would think a fella would buy 'em one at a time, replacing displeasing clubs, to eventually get what he liked.

I think golf is an OK game. If the balls blew up where they hit... then you would have something.

Pete
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top