Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2003 7:26:40 PM EDT
Want to build a receiver from a 80% receiver.  What tools do I need?

I don't have a machine shop.  I just have a hand drill. Is it possible? or should I spend my times on other things.  Don't need anything that shoots thru a pin hole, just something that goes bank.

I am sure I need to buy drill bits.  Big ? on the threading on where to attach the stock.

Thanks,
Desperate in Kalifornia...
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Tools you need are more than drills. There are several that you have to have. If you are only going to build one then the best bet is to buy a lower already finished. If you plan to build several then there is a tool list some where on this forum. I forgot where I will try to remember and get back to you. Maybe some one else knows where the tool list is. If so give him some advise.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Here ya go

[url]http://www.concealcarry.org/ar15/bs-home.htm[/url]
View Quote

Please don't use the above mentioned link, it is a bootleg, or theft of the original Builders Squad page located at:

[url]http://quartz2.cyberstation.net/~dwpaul/bs-home.htm[/url]

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#3]
[b]link doesn't work, put up a new one[/b]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[b]link doesn't work, put up a new one[/b]
View Quote

Never mind my firewall had me. The link works fine after I disabled firewall. Sorry about the post.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here ya go

[url]http://www.concealcarry.org/ar15/bs-home.htm[/url]
View Quote

Please don't use the above mentioned link, it is a bootleg, or theft of the original Builders Squad page located at:

[url]http://quartz2.cyberstation.net/~dwpaul/bs-home.htm[/url]

Thanks
View Quote

Ok, deleted my origional post, sorry about that. I was unaware of it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's a good link; [url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=148435]BIY lower build sites[/url]

but, since your a fellow Kaliban;
[img]www.acmearms.com/caldoj-80letter_small.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 1:16:49 AM EDT
[#7]
No-tack didnt recently the ca doj update their site removing the series ban?

So in cali it would be legal to finish an AR as long as it didnt have a pg?

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:34:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No-tack didnt recently the ca doj update their site removing the series ban?

So in cali it would be legal to finish an AR as long as it didnt have a pg?

View Quote

No, AR's (and AK's) are banned by name. The only way to build in Kali is with the [url=www.gogogadgets.net]FAB 10[/url].
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone try using a 1" steel pipe to do the buffer taping for the stock.  The outside diameter of the 1" steel pipe is between 1 1/8" to 1 3/16".  I am too cheap to buy the 1 3/16" tpi buffer tap.  Do you think the steel pipe would work to thread the buffer hole?

Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#10]
It'll probably work fine if you are planning on using the steel pipe as your buffer. This presumes you can make a hole to screw the pipe into.

The last time I looked, pipe had a tapered thread.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#11]
wouldn't the tapered thread make it easier to thhread the buffer hold?  
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 3:00:32 AM EDT
[#12]
If $35 is too much to spend on a tap, go around to used machinery shops and look through bins of used tooling.  I found a handful of reamers and taps for the buffer just visiting a few local places.  

The other option is to look on eBay, but that is hit or miss.

BTW, I am working on a few Tannery lowers as we speak.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 7:40:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't think you are going to find a used 1-3/16" X 16 TPI tap at a machine shop.  It is a bastard size and thread pitch.  If you do consider yourself lucky.  If you want to make one I would try to find a bolt or All Thread in that size.  With a grinder taper the end so it starts well and cut four grooves at 90-degree increments perpendicular to the threads so the shavings have somewhere to go.  It should work for cutting aluminum.  Also need a 3/32" aircraft length drill bit for the bolt hold open latch.  I would recomend you use a drill press as a minimun.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#14]
If you're going to do this, buy the tap, you'll save a bunch of problems.
Good luck finding a used tap though, I searched thru the bins at the local area surplus outlet and  found 2 taps that were 1-3/16" only trouble was that they were left hand thread! So I said "screw it" and bought the tap from J&L Industrial. Pricey? Sure, but worth it.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#15]
An alternative to threading the rear tower for the buffer tube extension (though not a real good alternative IMHO), is to do as in the [url=http://mujahadeenar15a2.tripod.com/]Mujahadeen AR-15 project[/url].

[img]http://quartz2.cyberstation.net/~dwpaul/tube.jpg[/img]

He simply filed all of the threads off of the end of the buffer tube extension, opened up the hole in the rear tower untill the smooth buffer tube end was a tight fit in the hole, and then JB-Welded the two pieces together.

If it were me, I'd buy the tap, use it once and then sell it somebody here on the EE. Somebody would be happy to have it.

HTH . . . . Doug
[url=quartz2.cyberstation.net/~dwpaul/bs-home.htm]The Builders Squad AR15 Project[/url]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top