Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/27/2003 12:46:47 PM EDT
I am just about ready to order my first kit, already have a mega lower. I was wondering are free float handguards better than non-flated ones? i am ordering the J&T 20" kit, the floated ones are 30 bucks more, which isn't much.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:59:42 PM EDT
Depends on the application. If you are building a target weapon, yes IMO. If you are building a shooter to use for urban rifle application or to "bump fire" and generally screw around with, no. My first AR configuration was a free float tube. I took it to a class and during the more vigorous shooting exercises the heat was unbearable. Ended up hanging on the magwell a lot. The next day I paracorded a big black pot holder onto it! Pretty amusing visually. That same carbine now sports M4 double heatshielded handguards.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:19:29 PM EDT
If you're after a highpower competition gun or long-range varmint control, you'll want to free-float. Little variations in pressure or tension on a barrel in mechanical contact with the handguard along it's length can move bullet impact outside the 10 ring or a groundhog's head at range. 'Lovely part with an AR is that if you pick one or the other, you have plenty of choices to change your mind later.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:39:54 PM EDT
For $30.00 go for it. It won't be wasted money. If you know how to use a sling, any barrel will shoot better (more consistantly) free floated.
Top Top