Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/27/2003 12:46:47 PM EDT
I am just about ready to order my first kit, already have a mega lower. I was wondering are free float handguards better than non-flated ones? i am ordering the J&T 20" kit, the floated ones are 30 bucks more, which isn't much.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the application. If you are building a target weapon, yes IMO. If you are building a shooter to use for urban rifle application or to "bump fire" and generally screw around with, no.

My first AR configuration was a free float tube. I took it to a class and during the more vigorous shooting exercises the heat was unbearable. Ended up hanging on the magwell a lot. The next day I paracorded a big black pot holder onto it! Pretty amusing visually. That same carbine now sports M4 double heatshielded handguards.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're after a highpower competition gun or long-range varmint control, you'll want to free-float.  Little variations in pressure or tension on a barrel in mechanical contact with the handguard along it's length can move bullet impact outside the 10 ring or a groundhog's head at range.

'Lovely part with an AR is that if you pick one or the other, you have plenty of choices to change your mind later.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#3]
For $30.00 go for it.  It won't be wasted money.  If you know how to use a sling, any barrel will shoot better (more consistantly) free floated.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top