Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2003 11:38:23 AM EDT
I just noticed that when i installed my bolt catch, the hammer falls onto that when the upper is not in place, is this ok?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#1]
There are two ways to answer this question.  Yes, its supposed to do that when the firing pin isn't there for it to hit (when the upper is off).  Second, no, never let the hammer hit the lower and the catch without the upper in place.  Put your thumb over the hammer and lower it to let it fall, and never let it hit the lower without the upper in place.  Damage from this, my friend, sucks big time.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There are two ways to answer this question.  Yes, its supposed to do that when the firing pin isn't there for it to hit (when the upper is off).  Second, no, never let the hammer hit the lower and the catch without the upper in place.  Put your thumb over the hammer and lower it to let it fall, and never let it hit the lower without the upper in place.  Damage from this, my friend, sucks big time.
View Quote

yes ive been very careful to not let the hammer fall freely, didnt seem like it would do much good, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a thick piece of truck tire iner-tube that I cut a small chunk out of and place over the bolt release and down into the tigger portion of the lower when installing triggers so I can give a quick test/feel check before fully assembling.  Saves on bruised left thumbs.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:13:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a thick piece of truck tire iner-tube that I cut a small chunk out of and place over the bolt release and down into the tigger portion of the lower when installing triggers so I can give a quick test/feel check before fully assembling.  Saves on bruised left thumbs.
View Quote

To say nothing of broken lower reciever webs[:D].

The only actual broken lower AR reciever I've ever seen was exactly at that point.  That was about 1965, before I ever owned an AR, and taught me a lesson I've never forgotten[:D]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:37:17 AM EDT
[#5]
You'll break the bolt catch with the hammer free falling. The top section will break off. I replaced one for a fella once.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top