Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/4/2003 10:57:25 AM EDT
I built a Model1 kit, and the rifle shoots like a dream.  The problem, however, is that the A2 sight on the carry handle is kinda cockeyed to the left.  Instead of being straight with the handle, the front of the sight 'block' points to the left, with the rear cantered to the right.  Can I take it apart and put it back together to fix it, or am I just screwed?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't worry - this is an easy fix.  That is, if you can install a barrel.

The reason your front sight is cocked to one side is the barrel isn't straight in the upper receiver.  This is an extremely common problem when mixing and matching parts, and it only takes a tiny bit of misalignment to show up at the rear sight.  And here's how you fix it:

Re-center the rear sight.  Unscrew the barrel nut and remove the barrel.  Take a small jeweler's file and open up the notch in the upper receiver in the direction you want the front sight to go - in your case, to the right.  Use very small strokes and check frequently - a tiny bit of material will make a noticeable difference.

Brownells has some really expensive rods to help you align the sights.  You can also tie a piece of thread through the rear sight aperture to the front sight post.  Hell, most of the time I just eyeball it and it works fine.

When you get the front sight straight up and down with the barrel alignment pin up against the side of the notch, you're almost done.  You have to tighten the loose side of the notch by peening it.  Take a punch and small hammer and lightly (small taps!!!) smash down the threads next to the barrel pin.  Do this with the barrel in place!!!  It will only take a few light strokes close up the notch so the barrel won't flop around while you're tightening the barrel nut.

Now reinstall your barrel and you're done!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, that's quite the process.  But, the front sight is all set, its straight up and down.  The problem is the rear sight.  The little square that the aperture is in is not straight, so I would have to, I think, take off the rear sight from the upper receiver.  Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the upper, only the lower.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#3]
What's the old saying..."a picture is worth a thousand words"...Pictures, where's the freakin' pictures...[banghead]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wow, that's quite the process.  But, the front sight is all set, its straight up and down.
View Quote

I was responding to your original statement:

...the front of the sight 'block' points to the left...
View Quote

Sounds like you need to figure out exactly what's crooked before we can help.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok.  Not meaning to be a dick, but the rear sight has a front and a back because it is square in shape.  By 'block' with quotes around it, I meant the square that the rear sight is in.  This sucks to explain in words, but you probably get what I mean now.  I'll try to get some pictures up.  To make it easy, can I take off the rear A2 sight, then put it back on easily, or is this hard to do?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ok.  Not meaning to be a dick, but the rear sight has a front and a back because it is square in shape.  By 'block' with quotes around it, I meant the square that the rear sight is in.  This sucks to explain in words, but you probably get what I mean now.  I'll try to get some pictures up.  To make it easy, can I take off the rear A2 sight, then put it back on easily, or is this hard to do?
View Quote

Ahhhhh.....  Ok, now I know what you're saying.  You mean the front part of the rear sight "base" (not "block").

Do you mean the rear sight base is twisted slightly to the left?  (Counter-clockwise if viewed from the top.)  How bad is it?  There's a ball and spring in the left side of the rear sight base to take up any slop, so a little twisting to the left is normal.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#7]
They all do that to some extent.  You're talking about the rear base having a counter clock wise cant when looking down on it from the rear, correct?

Some outfits around here make a pin set-up that the base rides up and down on for match shooters but it realy is an over blown solution to not much of a problem.

Some will post a name soon, I'm sure, of who does this work.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#8]
...or go over to the Competition Shooting & the Accurate AR  forum under the General tab.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top