Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2003 7:26:42 AM EDT
Does anyone make a threaded sleeve to go over the threads on a pre-ban barrel? I want one that is the same diameter as the barrel or a few thousandths under and a few thousandths longer to protrude slightly past the crown. I have decided I donw want a comp or brake on my converted pre-ban upper and want this sleeve to blind pin over the threads (Colt chromed barrel that shhots great so I dont wnat to cut and crown). I have an old A2 FH that I was considering taking to the local machinist to turn down but I think the cost would be to prohibitive, any suggestions?

Thanks

Jeff
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#1]
you have to really beat on the rifle to mess up the threads.  they are tough.  if your just taking it to the range and wish to keep it sound i would unscrew the FS and shoot it.  you will mess up the crown before you bugger the threads.  even if you do ding the threads.  it's easy to dress them with a standard die.    
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I need to clarify this more, I have converted this pre-ban upper to post-ban configuration.

What I want to do is get rid of the muzzle device and cover the threads to be compliant, I want the threads left so in the future (if I change my mind) I can cut off the thread cover and install another brake.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:58:45 AM EDT
[#3]
oh,

i know you want to keep the threads.  but i would say cut the barrel (non chrome lined) and recrown.  or you will need to have the thread protector sleeve pinned or welded on.  or buy a post ban barrel and screw it onto your upper.  or wait for 2004 and everything will be cool.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#4]
The barrel is a COlt Hbar with chrome lining so I really dont want to cut it, hence the desire for the thread cover, I plan on blind pinning it.

hard to say whats going to happen in 2004 but in the meantime this stupid law still persists.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Treetop,

Thats is my backup plan, I was hoping someone would already have some made up just to simplify matters.

Anyone want to turn down a FS for a resonable price?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Anyone want to turn down a FS for a resonable price?
View Quote

Why not just take it to a local machine shop and offer the fella a few bucks to turn it down?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:09:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:13:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Bigbore,

Thats it, except I would prefer one without the knurling. Do you sell these? if so how much?

Thanks

Jeff
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bigbore,

Thats it, except I would prefer one without the knurling. Do you sell these? if so how much?

Thanks

Jeff
View Quote

Looking for the same thing, Where and how much?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:04:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Steve,

That would be great, parked would also be great.

Monkeyman, this is the guy you need to talk to.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a lightweight pre-ban CAR upper and to make it even lighter I cut the bayo lug off. I want to make it even lighter and shorter by swapping the flash hider with a thread protector when I want to. At some point a pin and a weld could make it a permanant postban if I needed to.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#16]
What about threaded for 9mm barrels?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
NOT Knurled $10 each + shipping. Should have them in stock tomorrow.
View Quote

Count me in.  I want one too.  I have a C MP 5.56 NATO HBAR 1/7.  

Just a question, it's just a twist on right.  Apply some moly and twist on.  Yes?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Dont want to step on anyones deal but I have some knurled ones(20) I would like to trade for mags if you cant get them.
Send me an e-mail.
edited to say:
Sterling, it would have to permanently attached to be legal on a post ban.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#20]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
NOT Knurled $10 each + shipping. Should have them in stock tomorrow.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

count me in..I'd like one.....
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I would like to get a couple also please let me know when and how. thanks
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Count me in too; I'd like one knurled and one plain when you get them in, thanks.
Otto
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:42:23 AM EDT
[#23]
I ordered one on-line just a while ago, within 20 minutes I had an E-mail that is was shipped UPS with the tracking number, excellant service!

Kudos to Steve and ADCO Firearms!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Dont want to step on anyones deal but I have some knurled ones(20) I would like to trade for mags if you cant get them.
Send me an e-mail.
edited to say:
Sterling, it would have to permanently attached to be legal on a post ban.
View Quote

Ok, how do you permanently attach it?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#25]
sterling,

There are several BATFE approved ways.

1. blind pin - hole drilled through muzzle device and into barrel (not through), pin inserted and welded over with "deep penetration weld".

2. silver solder - has to be 1100 degree solder.

3. weld - either 4 equidistant tack welds or a bead going half the circumference of the joint.

HTH

Jeff
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
sterling,

There are several BATFE approved ways.

1. blind pin - hole drilled through muzzle device and into barrel (not through), pin inserted and welded over with "deep penetration weld".

2. silver solder - has to be 1100 degree solder.

3. weld - either 4 equidistant tack welds or a bead going half the circumference of the joint.

HTH

Jeff
View Quote

Jeff,

Do you personally recommnd anyone who can do this and still have it look nice, oh I mean evil? [devil]

I was going to ping Kurt from CA.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Sterling18,

i usually do all my own tinkering except the welding, i am going to blind pin my thread cover with a losse fitting pin and have it migged, then I will dress it down and touch it up with cold blue.

Kurt as in Kurt's custom firearms? I think I have that right, the guy who makes some rellay great brakes and such, sounds like your best bet if you dont have anyone local.

Jeff

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:14:27 AM EDT
[#28]
When I built my AR several years ago I used a Colt a2 profile barrel with a threaded muzzle.To make it post ban legal I turned the threads down on a lathe and then made a bushing from steel.I bored the bushing to be a light press fit and tapped it on with a mallet with loctite.I finished the white metal with a cold bluing product.Doesn`t look half bad.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#29]
paulx,

That is a good suggestion, I had considered just turning off the threads but though it would look strange, this sleeve (which i received from UPS today, thanks Steve!) will allow me to cut it off later to add a brake if I want or even a evil flash hider if the ban is allowed to die (yeah right!, but it doesnt hurt to hope).

The sleeve from Adco is as pictured and is a high quality piece of machining with a very nice finish, well worth the $14 shipped.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top