Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2003 2:58:40 AM EDT
Anyone know if Lowe's or Home Depot carry Roll Pin/Starter punches? Going to go look later, just wondered if any of you on early might know?

Link Posted: 3/2/2003 4:38:08 AM EDT
[#1]

I tried Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, and the small local American Hardware....nobody had them....just used regular ones, the only one I would have really like to have them for is the bolt catch retaining pin.

Link Posted: 3/2/2003 5:24:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I definitely recommend buying them. Your roll pins won't get damaged nearly as much. Midway has a 4 piece set made by Lyman for only $10.21 plus shipping. They have lots of other handy items as well, and their prices are better than Brownell's.
Link Posted: 3/2/2003 6:08:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy the set from Brownells. They work and it will help avoid the "scratch"....
Link Posted: 3/2/2003 6:48:23 AM EDT
[#4]
UH, catch the Snap-On, Mac, or Matco tool truck at any auto repair facility. I have a set from Snap-On and Matco.
Link Posted: 3/2/2003 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Snapon would be alot more then Brownells.
Link Posted: 3/6/2003 2:25:26 AM EDT
[#6]
 As much as I dearly love Brownell's, their roll pin punches seem a bit weak.  I was installing a teardrop F.A. the other day and the roll pin for it was fairly tight....not impossible...but tight...when I was finished I noticed that the end of the pin punch ( 5/32 )was quite mushroomed......I think I am gonna get a set from the Snap On dude and see how they work.

Gotta admit, too, that a starter punch would have been of a lot of help on that pin and may have saved the end of that punch.....
Link Posted: 3/6/2003 6:54:53 AM EDT
[#7]
what's the difference between the starter punches and the regular punches? i bought a cheapo set with 9? punches and a hammer from sportsmans guide and it worked OK. cept when i was putting the trigger guard in, i kind of messed up the punch a little, i just took a file to it and it was fine though.  i should probably add that i put the guard in backwards, which may have had something to do with with why i had to pound on that sucker so hard.
Link Posted: 3/6/2003 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Just to let everyone know the Snapon rollpin punch set goes for about 80 bucks for the 8 piece set.  I orderd mine monday and will recieve them this comining monday.  I have a no intrest account with my Snapon dealer.  Thats the only reason I bought them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2003 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just to let everyone know the Snapon rollpin punch set goes for about 80 bucks for the 8 piece set.  I orderd mine monday and will recieve them this comining monday.  I have a no intrest account with my Snapon dealer.  Thats the only reason I bought them.
View Quote

[blue]

Ain't the tool guys nice... where else can you maintian an account--and pay maybe $10 a week---interest free.

[b]And if it breaks, you know who made it, where to get a replacement.... Sorta sounds like AJ Foyt during those CRAFTSMAN tool comercials on Sunday during the NASCAR race......[/b][/blue]
Link Posted: 3/7/2003 1:20:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I have no idea what roll pin punches look like. But wouldn't the punches used to mark the exact place for drilling a hole work. The ones I have in mind look like a regular punch but they have a sharp point added on the flat point the end. They come in a metal can like drills do and there's probably about 30 to a can.
Link Posted: 3/7/2003 4:39:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Ridge_runner,
Roll pin punches have a "pilot pin end".  In other words there is a cylindrical smaller protrusion on the end that fits into the hole of the roll pin to keep the punch centered on the roll pin as you push it into place.  If you use the punches with the conical point, there is a very good chance that you will spread the slotted roll pin into a mushroom shape, and it will not seat into the hole as desired.  As an alternate to actual "roll pin" punches, I would reccomend a flat ended punch.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I wish I had seen this thread before I bought a set of roll pin punches from Brownells.  Mine mushroomed, too, on the very first use.  I also bought their special non-roll pin punch for removing the bolt catch roll pin.  This thing broke didn't mushroom, it just plain broke!  And it's not like I'm a clumsy oaf with my tools.

My old non-roll pin punches (unknown manufacturer) have gotten much more use and look brand new.  However, I feel they do damage the roll pins a bit, so I'm still searching for a good set of roll pin punches.  I guess I'll try the Lyman's at Midway.

Anyway, thank God that Brownell's has a satisfaction guarantee.

And that'll teach me not to consult the gurus at AR15.com BEFORE I BUY ANYTHING!!!

Edited to add:  I dearly love Brownell's, too, and won't hesitate to buy all kinds of other stuff there in the future.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#13]
i looked all over the place, and had to buy a couple of center punches (sharp tip ones) from a local independant tool dealer. they worked just fine, i put a little CLP on the pin and they seemed to almost slide right into place.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:03:44 AM EDT
[#14]
i looked last night the ones at home depot are made in china.   3/32 and 1/8 in a pack for something like $6,  looks like someone made them on a bench grinder.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:23:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I couldn't find roll pin punches anywhere locally.  Craftsman catalog doesn't list them either.

I bought the Midway/Lyman punches for under $14 shipped.

[url=http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=4&CategoryID=8826&CategoryString=649+***]Midway Punches[/url]

Lyman 4-Piece Roll Pin Punch Set
Product #: 191653
Our Price: $10.21
Customer Rating: 5 stars out of 5

Roll pin punches are not absolutely necessary but definitely convenient.  I would not use punches with a point on the end because as HarryD has already said, it may mushroom the end.

[url=users.zoominternet.net/~pcfitz]P.I.G.S.[/url]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:44:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought the Lyman set from Midway...they worked fine.  Like most others, I found zip at Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, my local ACE hardware...

The only bad thing about Midway is that they tack on an extra handling charge for orders under a certain amount.  So I start looking for a few small things to meet the minimum and my $10 punch order turns into a $50+ dollar order with a a punch kit, mag, bore guide...[:)]

I believe Natchez and Midsouth also carry punches...generally their prices are comparable to or better than Midway.  But they also have a min. order.

--Otter
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#17]
[url]www.mcmaster.com[/url]

Quality is great, price is decent. Just make sure that you order the correct sizes. I ordered the same sizes that came in the Brownell set and they work great.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Ahh you have discovered mcmaster carr. They are also a cool place when you have to order 400 oultlets.

Just a question. Ive never built a lower before so I was wondering; are roll pin punches worth it?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:44:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ahh you have discovered mcmaster carr. They are also a cool place when you have to order 400 oultlets.

Just a question. Ive never built a lower before so I was wondering; are roll pin punches worth it?
View Quote

My mother-in-law works at McMaster Carr. I get most items for 40-50% off and she brings them home on the same day.

Roll pin punches are absolutely necessary if you don't want to damage your lower or ruin some pins.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#20]
My local ACE Hardware carries them.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Anyone know if Lowe's or Home Depot carry Roll Pin/Starter punches?
View Quote

If it wasn't part of the training pitch, they don't even know what it is.  I asked if they had a thread file; they had no clue and told me there was no such thing.  So I orded one online from [url=http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=299005&categoryId=0]Northern Tool[/url]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had never built one before either.  To me they were worth it.  Especially for the bolt release pin.  It's small, it's hard to get to.  Roll pin punches don't slip off.  Are they necessary?  No.  But Midway is cheap.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#23]
All right then roll punches it is.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:49:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Couldn't find them at any hardware stores in a 20 mile radius.

Got a set from Bushmaster for $20.00 - they're listed as "drift punch set", but they do have the roll pin tit. [url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/stapnchset.asp[/url]

Been using them for over three years now. No breaks or mushrooming.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:12:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Grainger has a six piece set for $14 here in Albuquerque.  Picked up a set for my first AR.  No one else had 'em, some didn't even know what a roll pin punch was....
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:45:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Brownell's has a listing for a set of 4 roll pin starter punches, in addition to roll pin punches themselves.  Are you guys "mushrooming" these, or are you starting the pin with the regular punches?  
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Anyone know if Lowe's or Home Depot carry Roll Pin/Starter punches? Going to go look later, just wondered if any of you on early might know?

View Quote

I just found a set at Lowes for 12.00...Online wanted as much for shipping as for the punch.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Brownell's has a listing for a set of 4 roll pin starter punches, in addition to roll pin punches themselves.  Are you guys "mushrooming" these, or are you starting the pin with the regular punches?  
View Quote

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but here's my experience.  The first time I assembled an AR, I used normal punches and thought the roll pins could have looked better, so on my second AR I bought some of their roll pin punches.  The first roll pin I installed looked better than with the normal punches, but the [i]punch itself[/i] had mushroomed.  I think their steel is just too soft.  Is that what you're asking?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Sproc, Brownell's has roll pin punches AND roll pin starter punches...here are the starter punches:
[url]http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=781[/url]

I've got these on order, but obviously haven't used them.  I hope these will do what they're supposed to do without mushrooming/marring the pin.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#31]
No, I didn't use their starter punches, but my pins started fine, and it wasn't my pins that mushroomed but the punches. I've actualy heard good things about their starter punches. I think a set of those plus a set of somebody else's roll pin punches would be ideal.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#32]
What I'm thinking/hoping is it was probably starting the pins with the regular punches that mushroomed them.  I'll know before too long...I'm gonna be building a lower, and I've got the roll pin punches and starter punches headed my way.  I'll follow up and let everyone know what happens.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top