Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/8/2002 9:39:26 AM EDT
Any suggestions on getting a used gas tube out of an upper? I can't seem to budge it. I don't want to damage it.

Yes I removed the pin before trying to disassemble.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 11:13:43 AM EDT
Have you tried soaking it in Hoppee's or WD-40?
I have a Remington 870 come into the shop and had to let it soak for a day or so to get the choke out of it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 12:32:39 PM EDT
I've used a pair of vise grip pliers, with the jaws wrapped in masking tape. Clamp the jaws (gently) around the gas tube, and tap with a hammer to loosen the tube from the front sight base. You may have to experiment with how tight to clamp.

James
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 1:14:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JTW:
I've used a pair of vise grip pliers, with the jaws wrapped in masking tape. Clamp the jaws (gently) around the gas tube, and tap with a hammer to loosen the tube from the front sight base. You may have to experiment with how tight to clamp.

James

Thanks.

Has anyone seen a tool specifically for clamping to gas tubes. I believe I saw something like that a year or so ago.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 2:06:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MrP:

Originally Posted By JTW:

James

Thanks.

Has anyone seen a tool specifically for clamping to gas tubes. I believe I saw something like that a year or so ago.

Yes Brownells and Bushmaster sell them.
Scott
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 4:59:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/8/2002 7:08:02 PM EDT by GreenLine]
I have removed and installed several gas tubes and the best method I have come across for removing them is to hold your upper upside down and clamp the gas tube in a vice (you can wrap the tube with tape if you dont want to mar the surface). Twist the upper back and forth a couple of times. This will break the carbon seal in the gas block/front sight tower. You can then wiggle the tube out with a pair of vice grips or pliers. Also, I assume you are going to replace the used tube with a new one so don't worry about putting a little elbow grease into pulling the old one. These tubes are actually made a fairly thick stainless steal. It takes alot to do any damage to them.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 3:16:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/9/2002 3:19:17 AM EDT by alpo]
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 6:40:28 AM EDT
Thanks again guys.

I intend to re-use the gas tube. Any issues with that?
Top Top