Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/8/2002 9:39:26 AM EDT
Any suggestions on getting a used gas tube out of an upper? I can't seem to budge it. I don't want to damage it.

Yes I removed the pin before trying to disassemble.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried soaking it in Hoppee's or WD-40?
I have a Remington 870 come into the shop and had to let it soak for a day or so to get the choke out of it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used a pair of vise grip pliers, with the jaws wrapped in masking tape. Clamp the jaws (gently) around the gas tube, and tap with a hammer to loosen the tube from the front sight base. You may have to experiment with how tight to clamp.

James
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've used a pair of vise grip pliers, with the jaws wrapped in masking tape. Clamp the jaws (gently) around the gas tube, and tap with a hammer to loosen the tube from the front sight base. You may have to experiment with how tight to clamp.

James

Thanks.

Has anyone seen a tool specifically for clamping to gas tubes. I believe I saw something like that a year or so ago.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

James

Thanks.

Has anyone seen a tool specifically for clamping to gas tubes. I believe I saw something like that a year or so ago.

Yes Brownells and Bushmaster sell them.
Scott
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I have removed and installed several gas tubes and the best method I have come across for removing them is to hold your upper upside down and clamp the gas tube in a vice (you can wrap the tube with tape if you dont want to mar the surface). Twist the upper back and forth a couple of times. This will break the carbon seal in the gas block/front sight tower. You can then wiggle the tube out with a pair of vice grips or pliers. Also, I assume you are going to replace the used tube with a new one so don't worry about putting a little elbow grease into pulling the old one.  These tubes are actually made a fairly thick stainless steal. It takes alot to do any damage to them.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 3:16:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks again guys.

I intend to re-use the gas tube. Any issues with that?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top