Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2002 1:46:04 PM EDT
Thanks to BeerSlayer, I now have an extra set to play with.  Which brings up a couple of questions:

1)  How important is the heat shield?  Can it be removed without any ill effects? (It would be removed so the handguards will fit around a free-float tube, which I think means I won't notice much if the heat shield is removed)

2)  Has anyone ever fit a set of the triangular handguards to a rifle with a free-float tube isntalled?  With a little strategic dremel work on the front, I think I can make this work, but would appreciate tips before I start.

Thanks!
FOTBR

Edited to add that after an hours worth of effort with our friend Mr. Dremel, that I answered my question about putting them on a free-float tube.  It works, without much difficulty.  I'll find out if the lack of heat shield will matter the next time I go to the range.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#1]
1) Without the heatshields, you'll feel a lot more of the barrel heat than would otherwise be the case, and "enthusiastic" firing could melt your handguards.  If you're moderate in your shooting (no rapid semi to speak of), then no heatshields will be fine.

2) Not sure, but standard cylindrical handguards fit fine over most float tubes as-is.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, it had the regular handguards on it...I wanted to be different at the range though

Since the barrel already has a tube around it, and the handguards on it didn't have any metal in the, I don't think I'll notice the lack of heatshields in the current application

FOTBR
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top