Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am having the exact same dimming ssue with a M600DF / SR07 switch as I am with my Fury Tactical DF handheld.  Both arrived back at Surefire yesterday.  I will post results when I get a response from Surefire.  They initially asked me to send back the heads of both lights, but I was not able to remove the head on the Fury (doesn't seem removable), so I sent the whole thing in.
View Quote

Both of my lights came back last week.  I received a new head for my M600DF, and an entirely new Fury Tactical.  Both lights were previously having the same issue.  Both lights are now completely fine.  Total time from sending back to receiving replacements was around 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this still an issue with new 600DFs?
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:42:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is this still an issue with new 600DFs?
View Quote

Mine was all new yes but maybe an "old" stock
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Headed to the range with my 8th grader this afternoon, and he wanted to bring the DD rifle this light (see posts above) was attached to.  Got to the range, loaded a mag into the gun and released the bolt catch.  The force of the bolt chambering a round caused the light to turn on!  So I tried unplugging the SR07 switch, and it remained on.  Had to unscrew the head a little to get through the range session.  Got home, and tried to re-create the same situation (without a loaded magazine) and the same thing happened.  I just sent tech support an email stating that I want a M600 Ultra - I'm tired of dealing with this!
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:36:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone had success with the Modlite switches? They claim to eliminate the dimming issue but before I splurge on getting one I wanted to see if anyone had experience with these over the Surefire switches.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Has anyone had success with the Modlite switches? They claim to eliminate the dimming issue but before I splurge on getting one I wanted to see if anyone had experience with these over the Surefire switches.
View Quote

I think the Modlite ones don't have a "constant on" button, which is kind of annoying to use
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Experiencing the exact same issue as others here have posted. Using the M640DF and SF switch. Anyone know of the Unity Tactical Hot Button has fixed this issue?
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I was having the same issue with a Modlite and SR07 tape switch.  It would dim, blink, turn itself off, sometimes not turn on....

Here is the under $5 fix.  Go to NAPA and buy a tube of Dielectric Grease.  Put a thin coat on the tape switch plug, insert, and rotate around to coat the inside of the tail cap.  Do this several times checking the light as you go.

Your eye can be the judge if this brings it up to full power brightness but it definitely fixes the consistency issues.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I was having the same issue (see posts above elsewhere in this thread).  I contacted Surefire, and they asked me to send the head back.  I did this, and received a new one in return.  The new one did not have any of the previous issues (no dimming, worked fine with my SR07, etc), but the 1st time I took it to the range and loaded the 1st mag, the light turned on by itself when I hit the bolt catch and wouldn't turn off.  Even after unplugging the SR07 the light still remained on.  I called Surefire the next day and asked them to trade me for a M600 Ultra (that ONLY runs on 123's) and they're doing that now.  I know it's not a perfect solution, but they all but admitted they're still working the bugs out on this and I didn't want to sell the defective one off on here or ebay to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Made no difference on mine. Multiple surefire switches, batteries, tail caps, and the modbutton. Nothing makes it work correctly with an 18650.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Once again, as explained in the previous page, I could have my M600 DF work flawlessly with no dimming at all with one of my 2 Surefire remote switch but not with the other one (older) and they had the exact behaviour on 2 different M600 DF (with the 18650 inside).

It "may" be a problem that could be solved with the neww head but for me, with my different M600 and switches it clearly comes FROM the switch and not the lamp itself.

However I must say the "default" and old switch did work with a Modlite but with light dimming (very light)
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I got my 600DF mid 2020.  Very first use was fine with red SF 18650.  Some time later I used the light and noticed the light noticeably dim after about a half second at full brightness.   I figured battery drain and installed a different fully charged SF red 18650 and it worked fine again.  Fast forward and it is still having this issue, so I go to charge the "dead" battery but noticed that it's still at 4.0 volts, so the light should NOT be dimming IMO.  I charged it and confirmed the battery only needed ~300mAh to get back to a full charge at 4.20 volts, so it is not a "low" battery causing the dimming.  It is a 90% full battery that is causing the light to do this, which is obviously a defect.  Got my RMA from SF and will update once I get everything back.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow, I was on the fence about buying a 600DF. Sounds like it’s either a switch QC problem or something with the electronic voltage regulation circuitry with the light head/battery. I’ve had both type pressure pad switches on my 300 and never any problems. Also been looking at the modlite PLHv2.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#14]
i just buy modlites now so that definitely helps. surefire has great customer service though
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#15]
M600DF number 2 will soon be going back to SF.  This time the rep asked me to send everything.  SR07/UE and the light.  

With the remote switch the light would come on then dim down to off.  

I will say this, SF customer service has been awesome.  Hopefully one day I can stop calling them.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Just received an email from Surefire.  They said they are waiting on components that they have no ETA on.  They offered a refund or an exchange for a couple different lights.  I don't know what to do as I like the 600DF.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#17]
So I have an older Surefire dual fuel, one of the first batch that had the crappy black batteries. I had my battery replaced by SureFire to the newer red one.

Anyway, seeing this thread and all the information about the SR07 switch is not being able to handle the current, I did some testing with mine and as of right now, I can't really discern any difference in output level between using it with a clicky tail cap, and the SR07. It appears fairly bright, and probably almost equally bright, either way.

The only strange thing that I did notice was when using the SR07, is if I click the light on, and then push the momentary on, the light will get slightly, but noticeably, brighter.
When compared to my other scouts, it appears to be very similar in output to my KE2B head, just a different tint and slightly different beam pattern.

So am I lucky, or do the older lights not suffer from the same issues as the newer ones?

I called SureFire and discussed issues and potential issues with these lights at length with the technical support representative. He was of the opinion that there is no flaw in the switches or the current that they can handle, and to his benefit, we seem to have proven that with my light at least.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Had the same problem and got an RMA back in Jan..  SF has had my M640DF Pro for just shy of two months.  They emailed me this week saying that they were awaiting backordered parts to repair my dual fuel light and instead offered to just replace it with the CR123 only, 1000 lumen version.  I took them up on the offer and will run the 6 volt version.  Overall situation is unfortunate as I was trying to migrate everything over to 18650s and the Scout Pro body is perfect for my WML setup
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone try the new modlite dual fuel okw heads on the surefire dual fuel bodies?
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Had the same problem and got an RMA back in Jan..  SF has had my M640DF Pro for just shy of two months.  They emailed me this week saying that they were awaiting backordered parts to repair my dual fuel light and instead offered to just replace it with the CR123 only, 1000 lumen version.  I took them up on the offer and will run the 6 volt version.  Overall situation is unfortunate as I was trying to migrate everything over to 18650s and the Scout Pro body is perfect for my WML setup
View Quote

I almost did what you did.  Went with the refund instead.  I'll use my Modlite PLH for now.  I'll take another look at the 600DF in the future.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 3:07:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I was having the same issue with the surefire rail grabber switch, tried a hot button and still had the dimming and flickering.  I put a light coat of dielectric grease (you could use anything silicone based) on all the mating surfaces and made sure everything was seated fully and it seems like it’s good to go now.  Another thing I have seen is some guys have some pretty rough cable routing that is definitely not gonna help the situation.  

I kept hearing how unity and modlite use better conductors and shit in their hot buttons and mod buttons but it appears to be the exact same cable to me.

*their not there
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Glad I found this thread. I have three brand new DFs doing this crap. I'm going to try the bending of the pin solution posted on page one after my batteries are done charging up to full.

Edit: Freshly charged batteries and slightly bending the pin didn't work.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Does anyone know if switching to the Surefire, M640U Scout Pro Flashlight, LED, 1000 Lumens makes any difference or does it do the same thing? I've read that it seems to be the DF model that's doing this.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#24]
i had the same issue using a tape switch so i went back to the clicky tail cap. any slight bump will dim the light using either the 1850 or cr123 batteries. I emailed surefire and asked them to exchange the light for a m640U pro 1000 lumen verison.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
i had the same issue using a tape switch so i went back to the clicky tail cap. any slight bump will dim the light using either the 1850 or cr123 batteries. I emailed surefire and asked them to exchange the light for a m640U pro 1000 lumen verison.
View Quote
I'm wondering if that will solve the issue considering I'll be using the same SR07 tape switches.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm wondering if that will solve the issue considering I'll be using the same SR07 tape switches.
View Quote

The dimming and related malfunctions seem to be limited to the DF model only.  There were not user complaints of dimming and such prior to the release of the DF model.  Likely either an engineering, parts quality / tolerance issue, or other manufacturing issue unique to the DF model.  SF engineering most likely knows what is happening as they likely have been able to replicate and diagnose faults on some of the who knows how many hundred DF models that were shipped back to them.  Unlikely we'll ever know what the no shit root cause was or is.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I own two 500 lumen x300u and a new m340 pro 500 lumen and none of them do the dimming/flickering bullshit that my DF does. It’s bright as fuck until the first round and then it’s really weak.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Contacted surefire and let them know the dual fuel sucks and asked for them to change it out for the 640 ultra pro in tan. They sent me a prepaid label and I got it sent off today.

About 4 hours later I got an email saying I had a package coming and attached was an invoice saying they shipped a 640 ultra pro tan!

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Contacted surefire and let them know the dual fuel sucks and asked for them to change it out for the 640 ultra pro in tan. They sent me a prepaid label and I got it sent off today.

About 4 hours later I got an email saying I had a package coming and attached was an invoice saying they shipped a 640 ultra pro tan!

View Quote
They agreed to switch out three of mine and two of my friend's also.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I kinda wish I had found this thread before buying mine. I just received it the other day. Tape switch and socket are set to arrive on Thursday so I’ll check it out and report back. Just playing with the light outside tonight, it was super ridiculously bright using the charged Surefire USB charge battery and the tail cap. Was very impressed. No dimming except that which is typical of heat in these types of lights. I’ll give it a go with the switch and socket when they arrive and report back.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I kinda wish I had found this thread before buying mine. I just received it the other day. Tape switch and socket are set to arrive on Thursday so I’ll check it out and report back. Just playing with the light outside tonight, it was super ridiculously bright using the charged Surefire USB charge battery and the tail cap. Was very impressed. No dimming except that which is typical of heat in these types of lights. I’ll give it a go with the switch and socket when they arrive and report back.
View Quote

Mine was with switch and tail cap. Mount it on a rifle and tap the rifle backwards like it’s recoiling and it will probably go dim.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#32]
I plan on putting together a light with the surefire m600df body, surefire ue tailcap, unity hot button and a modlite duel fuel head.

This issue with the m600df, its the body?? The head? Or the tape switch and the duel fuel surefire head?

I see some people say the 640duel fuel doesn’t have issues but the m600 does so wondering what part on the light exactly is causing issues
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I plan on putting together a light with the surefire m600df body, surefire ue tailcap, unity hot button and a modlite duel fuel head.

This issue with the m600df, its the body?? The head? Or the tape switch and the duel fuel surefire head?
I see some people say the 640duel fuel doesn’t have issues but the m600 does so wondering what part on the light exactly is causing issues
View Quote

From my understanding the issue is in the head.  Surefire are currently waiting on components to fix an issue with the head.  I was told that both on the phone with them and through email.

Edit:. I am using a Surefire SR07/UE on a Modlite 18650 PLH V1 and have seen no issues.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#34]
NEVER buy a Surefire rechargeable!   In 20 years I have yet to see SF make a rechargeable that didn't have problems.

Every Scout light I've bought is cr123 only for this very reason.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Mine was with switch and tail cap. Mount it on a rifle and tap the rifle backwards like it’s recoiling and it will probably go dim.
View Quote

I might have lucked out. I turned mine on (tail cap) and whacked it with a rubber mallet a couple times all over the light. No issues. Still remains to be seen how the tape switch works tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

My understanding is that this is just an issue with the tape switches. I have not had any issues with my M640DF, but I use the clicky cap that came with it as I do not like tape switches.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Got my switch and switch socket cap in today and installed. So far no issues that I can see. No difference in brightness that my eyes can tell vs the clicky cap, and no dimming/shutoff even after knocking the gun and light around a bit. I’ll post an update if that changes. These were all purchased this week, from reputable sellers on Amazon.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:24:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Does using the DS00 help eliminate the dimming?
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#39]
I received my M640 pro tan light I asked for as a replacement and the light is awesome. I wouldn’t hesitate to contact surefire and ask them to send you a different light in exchange
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I received my M640 pro tan light I asked for as a replacement and the light is awesome. I wouldn't hesitate to contact surefire and ask them to send you a different light in exchange
View Quote

Waiting for them to send me back three replacements. I sent them out Friday. Hoping it doesn't take too long.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I’m thinking nobody has even tried to preform surgery on the old SR....I may be the first. The SR, is an awesome switch, but she needs to be souped up a bit.
I did bend the pin in the UE, which did take care of the flickering....but the light is still noticeably dimmer with the tape switch, and has a very yellow hue.
I’m thinking since people say the mod button fixes this issue, the issue must be that the cable used, is not sufficient to conduct the required current.

Luckily, I know how to mod stuff like this, so....off to the hardware store to find some acceptable cable, plastic epoxy, and heat shrink tubes.
I will report any progress.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, scratch that...I destroyed the plug trying to remove the pressed in brass insert, lol.
Oh well, the switch was useless with the DF anyway.
I’m gonna just unload this thing.
It is very disappointing that this light was so expensive, and so lack luster.
I’m over it! Time to move on!
Now, I need to decide whether I’m buying another HLX, or if I want to try Rein.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Having the same issue M600DF with Surefire UE tail cap and using ST07 switch and their is noticeable dimming, using the 18650B battery. The light and the tail cap are new got the switch off the EE. Thought about switching to the SR07 switch till I saw the threads here saying same issue. Looks like the ModButton Lite is the solution?
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:05:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Weird stuff going on. I’m starting to believe SF may have some Q/C issues in the switch dept. My cousin bought a DF at the same time I did, he also bought sr07, and UE tail cap. He decided he didn’t want to run a tape switch, so it was collecting dust.
Anyway he gave me his sr07 today (I’m almost glad I destroyed mine) and like magic....my DF is now as bright with the tape switch, as it is with the clicky.
Success!
And, since I bent the prong inside the UE....zero flicker!

I hope it lasts.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:10:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Having the same issue M600DF with Surefire UE tail cap and using ST07 switch and their is noticeable dimming, using the 18650B battery. The light and the tail cap are new got the switch off the EE. Thought about switching to the SR07 switch till I saw the threads here saying same issue. Looks like the ModButton Lite is the solution?
View Quote

Slightly bend the brass prong in the center of the receptacle of your UE tail cap.
It completely took the dimming away with mine, and has worked for other’s.
I had compiling problems with mine. My SR was apparently defective.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Slightly bend the brass prong in the center of the receptacle of your UE tail cap.
It completely took the dimming away with mine, and has worked for other’s.
I had compiling problems with mine. My SR was apparently defective.
View Quote

Will try that thanks.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a 600DF with the red battery, DS00 tail cap, and an SR07 switch. If I take it apart and put it back together, it runs perfect. If I lock back the bolt and send it home, the light goes to shit. If the light is on it will put off. If it comes back on it's at 50% and flickers. So at this point, is this an issue with the RE07 switch, the light, or the tail cap? I want to switch to a Modlite PLV2. will I have this issue if I keep using the current tailcap and switch?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#48]
I've had 2 M600DF that failed with dimming and flickering with both accessory tail caps and the SR07. The original DF heads were both replaced with new heads at low round counts under 300rnds and 200rnds, my serials are now A149xxx (orig. A139xxx) and A241xxx (orig. A172xxx). I have not test fired the replacements, and unfired they "work" but I did notice the change in brightness (dimmer) and color (yellowish vs bright white) with the configuration I want to use (SR07 w/UE or DS00) versus the Z68.

I just received the Modlite OKW DF and Modbutton Lite because I don't want to second guess or have a setup down these days...and I broke down and decided to just throw more money at the problem in case I go to the range and have a spare head now, but I suspect I will get another Modlite.

I mostly want the Dual Fuel capability with reliability, which was the reason for the DF originally...I'm impressed with Modlite around the house and of course still a Surefire fanboy. Surefire customer service was great with the situation/interaction, though I shouldn't need them with little use and no abuse. Replacements in Nov. 2019 and Nov. 2020 were a 2 week turnaround from drop to receive.

None of us, outside of Surefire knows what the issue is. I also hate to speculate, though I'll throw my thoughts based on their approach so far. They replaced the head each time, and those of you with similar tape switch configurations also received replacements either complete or new head and had repeat issues once fired. I think I will too, though I admit I don't know for sure, but shouldn't have to do this research myself. I think the issue possibly with dimming and flickering is largely within the heads, maybe a voltage issue brought on by the battery type, battery contacts and when linked to the Surefire switches. I also think there is some merit that the switches are not fully capable of handling the current of 18650's, but I really think it starts with the heads.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've had 2 M600DF that failed with dimming and flickering with both accessory tail caps and the SR07. The original DF heads were both replaced with new heads at low round counts under 300rnds and 200rnds, my serials are now A149xxx (orig. A139xxx) and A241xxx (orig. A172xxx). I have not test fired the replacements, and unfired they "work" but I did notice the change in brightness (dimmer) and color (yellowish vs bright white) with the configuration I want to use (SR07 w/UE or DS00) versus the Z68.

I just received the Modlite OKW DF and Modbutton Lite because I don't want to second guess or have a setup down these days...and I broke down and decided to just throw more money at the problem in case I go to the range and have a spare head now, but I suspect I will get another Modlite.

I mostly want the Dual Fuel capability with reliability, which was the reason for the DF originally...I'm impressed with Modlite around the house and of course still a Surefire fanboy. Surefire customer service was great with the situation/interaction, though I shouldn't need them with little use and no abuse. Replacements in Nov. 2019 and Nov. 2020 were a 2 week turnaround from drop to receive.

None of us, outside of Surefire knows what the issue is. I also hate to speculate, though I'll throw my thoughts based on their approach so far. They replaced the head each time, and those of you with similar tape switch configurations also received replacements either complete or new head and had repeat issues once fired. I think I will too, though I admit I don't know for sure, but shouldn't have to do this research myself. I think the issue possibly with dimming and flickering is largely within the heads, maybe a voltage issue brought on by the battery type, battery contacts and when linked to the Surefire switches. I also think there is some merit that the switches are not fully capable of handling the current of 18650's, but I really think it starts with the heads.
View Quote

Based on a lot of the responses here I think it is the wires on the tape switches. I did get a PLHv2 head for my M640 though, so we will see if I have the issue since I use the clicky cap at the 1100position.

I really like the scout pro mounts and didn't want to give that up by going to a Modlite body
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#50]
I forgot to mention that it flickered and dimmed with the DS00 button, hence why I think it's in the head and not the wires.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top