BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#1]
These are photos from this year's AUSA show.  I was told these would be coming out at or by the SHOT show.

1000 lumen Maxvision XH35 weapon light with a low 500 lumen, high 1000 lumen, and strobe settings.

500 lumen TIR EDCL1-T

Sure-Fire released the 1200 lumen TIR EDCL2-T this month.

I'd like to see more lights with the 18650 option like the Peacekeeper.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I will have one
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone know what battery life is going to be?

What about white light/IR models, will they see lumen increases?
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#5]
With my 600 lumen lights I can set my t2 on power 9 or 10 and it doesn’t bloom to much in the dark and it doesn’t wash out with the light on. I wonder if 12000 or 15000 lumens would cause one to have to adjust the aimpoint. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With my 600 lumen lights I can set my t2 on power 9 or 10 and it doesn’t bloom to much in the dark and it doesn’t wash out with the light on. I wonder if 12000 or 15000 lumens would cause one to have to adjust the aimpoint. Thoughts?
View Quote
It'll depend WAY MORE on candela than lumens.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Welcome, Surefire.  Welcome to 2014.  I'm glad you finally made it.
View Quote
This.

I've had a 1,250 lumen (don't laugh...) Armtek for nearly two years now...
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The o light has a shitty beam, is relatively untested, and almost no one makes holsters for them.

Streamlight has really upgraded their game as of recent, but I've broken more streamlights than I have Surefires.

a 1500 lumen tir scout will, I predict, be even better than An HLX and fit on a carbine better.

Let's not be dramatic here, for duty use, SF is still the goto
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol! I edited my prior post because I thought I was overly harsh on SF.... but this post nails it.
Maybe someday they'll actually make something that isn't chasing someone else's product (such as Olight or Streamlight who are kicking the snot out of SF).
The o light has a shitty beam, is relatively untested, and almost no one makes holsters for them.

Streamlight has really upgraded their game as of recent, but I've broken more streamlights than I have Surefires.

a 1500 lumen tir scout will, I predict, be even better than An HLX and fit on a carbine better.

I know plenty of professionals that use Streamlight. After years of getting their shit packed by a dozen other brands, SF might finally start getting with the program. Maybe.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 7:42:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I know plenty of professionals that use Streamlight. After years of getting their shit packed by a dozen other brands, SF might finally start getting with the program. Maybe.
View Quote
There's a ton of switched on dudes using streamlight most of my coworkers do. I prefer surefire switches though. Not here to shit on SL
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Battery life will be dependent on the cell you use in the light, a LOT of choices in 18650 batteries.
View Quote
what's the go to for high quality, long lasting 18650's?
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:46:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:48:23 PM EDT
[#12]
How’s about THESE
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 1:38:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, the drama here is SF's pricing. If they keep it up, they'll (easily) be surpassed quite quickly. SF is playing catch up with it's competitors (notice how they REACT to competition, instead of leading it?). However, their competitors are gaining in durability, rep, and quality (not to mention less than 1/2 the $ of SF) and have surpassed them, already, in some ways.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#15]
$16 for a battery that says Surfire? Anyone that pays that is out of their mind.
I don't know the amperage of the new Surefire lights, but as long as you stay at or below you will be fine. Protected batteries are the best bet

I buy all my (Panasonic, IMR, Efest) batteries here. https://liionwholesale.com/pages/search-results-page?q=18650+button+top
More info http://best18650battery.com/
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
With my 600 lumen lights I can set my t2 on power 9 or 10 and it doesn't bloom to much in the dark and it doesn't wash out with the light on. I wonder if 12000 or 15000 lumens would cause one to have to adjust the aimpoint. Thoughts?
Correct. The intensity of the hot spot Will determine the RDS settings. The type of reflector will matter how the intensity is gauged as well. Two lights both with 1200lm, one a thrower the other a flood light; will have different candela ratings. The flood light will have a less intense candela/hot spot. My 2000lm Klarus has considerably lower candela than my 1700lm thrower.  I use the MRO with an Armyek Dobermann. The candela on the light is 42000+. I can set it to 4 for a clean dot. Setting 5 is a nice dot too with a tiny bit of bloom. You may have to bump up the brightness a bit, but You don't ever have to worry about washing out the dot.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

what's the go to for high quality, long lasting 18650's?
View Quote
Batteries
Battery Case
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
$16 for a battery that says Surfire? Anyone that pays that is out of their mind.
I don't know the amperage of the new Surefire lights, but as long as you stay at or below you will be fine. Protected batteries are the best bet

I buy all my (Panasonic, IMR, Efest) batteries here. https://liionwholesale.com/pages/search-results-page?q=18650+button+top
More info http://best18650battery.com/
View Quote
SF is sure to sell those things too. Ppl have to realize, it's just rebranded. Never pay $16 for an 18650. They put a logo on it and double the price.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd like to get one of these soon. In the meantime, I'll just have to make due with my little 500 lumen tan Mini-Scout when it gets here.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The HL-X comes in a weapon light configuration ("HL-X rail mount weapon light").  Unlike Surefire, they also come with clamp, wiring for tape switch, tape switch itself, and adhesive pad and zip ties (oh, and battery too). And all for 1/3 the price of the Surefire. Granted, the HL-X is 1k lumen (vs this new SF 1.5K lumen), but still... that's a hell of deal for a SF competitor.

ETA: and the HL-X can use 18650 batteries too.
View Quote
Problem is it won’t work with a unity taps or Surefire switch so i can only have one switch and run my light and dbal.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 1:55:56 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
Definitely good batteries but not protected. Makes me a tad nervous.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Most flashlights/chargers these days have protections built in, which make protected batts unnecessary in a sense. Plus unprotected batts have higher drain amprages, which in turn may put out more lumens.... The choice of protected/unprotected somewhat depends on what safeguards your flashlight/charger already has.

Unprotected IMR and NCR batts are gtg.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 3:25:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Is there an eta on this light?
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is there an eta on this light?
View Quote
Looks cool and I was just up in the air between a scout and the hL-x but I saw a hint that leads for streamlights are coming for the TAOS switch so I just went with the hl-x

I compared a 1000 lumen light to a 600 lumen and the difference wasn’t that noticeably huge to me. At least not and extra $200 worth.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 6:31:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No, the drama here is SF's pricing. If they keep it up, they'll (easily) be surpassed quite quickly. SF is playing catch up with it's competitors (notice how they REACT to competition, instead of leading it?). However, their competitors are gaining in durability, rep, and quality (not to mention less than 1/2 the $ of SF) and have surpassed them, already, in some ways.
View Quote
But many of their competitors products are made in China. SL has pistol lights well over $300 that are only "assembled" in the US. If SF starts selling cheaper lights that means they've either cut corners and/or have outsourced foreign labor and materials, so I'd just rather them "keep it up". Coming from a SF and SL collector.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 6:48:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

But many of their competitors products are made in China. SL has pistol lights well over $300 that are only "assembled" in the US. If SF starts selling cheaper lights that means they've either cut corners and/or have outsourced foreign labor and materials, so I'd just rather them "keep it up". Coming from a SF and SL collector.
View Quote
Yeah, I get that. There IS a lot to be said for "made in the USA", and I can get onboard with you in that regard. That's about the extent of it, though. SF is "last years tech at next years pricing" (hey I like that... I think I've found SF's new slogan! ).
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 12:52:35 PM EDT
[#28]
The TA01 ACOG came out 30 years ago, and it still costs $1,000.  Why does everyone fawn all over Trijicon for being a quality, US-made product that uses old technology while at the same time deriding Surefire for doing the same thing?
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The TA01 ACOG came out 30 years ago, and it still costs $1,000.  Why does everyone fawn all over Trijicon for being a quality, US-made product that uses old technology while at the same time deriding Surefire for doing the same thing?
View Quote
Optics game is a bit different, but Trijicon still made many other advancements over the years. Various Acogs, RDS and V-scopes.  Seem in the firearms/accessories world, some things stay locked in a price range forever. HK'S USP is still expensive since its 1993 debut.... the thing with SF is how stagnate they were with improvements for nearly all their products. They didn't use 18650 batts, the lack of lumens/led upgrades. When SF came out they were sort of the "gold standard". Now, other companies from the US, China and Canada are blowing by SF. Now you can get a light with more lumens, potted/sealed electronics and features for 100-300 less than SF... To me the only plus to a SF is the various SR tape switches and mounts.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You do realize that the LED is manufactured in China?

There are NO U.S. manufactured LED’s.
View Quote
False. Cree is an American founded company with two manufacturing plants in the US where they produce LEDs. They're also international suppliers so they have factories in Asia and Europe.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

SF is "last years tech at next years pricing" (hey I like that... I think I've found SF's new slogan! ).
View Quote
Can't disagree with that statement. Maybe that has something to do with their value holding so well
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Surefire still has the best weapon mounts and switches. For a pocket light no way but if it's weapon mounted surefire really does it right.

I would prefer not to pay the price for that and if they could cut prices a bit I think they could sell even more. If the other light companies really want a piece they need to work on mounts and switches.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Surefire still has the best weapon mounts and switches. For a pocket light no way but if it's weapon mounted surefire really does it right.

I would prefer not to pay the price for that and if they could cut prices a bit I think they could sell even more. If the other light companies really want a piece they need to work on mounts and switches.
View Quote
TAPS looks to be outpacing the Surefire switch.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 1:18:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not bad, but the mounts for their pistol lights and scout remain the best and easiest to get holsters for. Not to mention shotgun and mp5.

I'm not a surefire koolaid guy but their stuff is slick mounted.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 3:38:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I agree.

I’ve spent well over $2,000.00 over the years drinking the Surefire kool aide.

Not anymore unless it’s a weapon light and then I’ll probably change out the head.

For hand held lights it’s Fenix.
View Quote
My hand helds are still SF but I'm with you when it comes to weapon lights. I picked up a SL HLX back in April and I have been running it hard. It has went though three classes, one being a low light class and it hasn't missed a beat. When it wasn't on a rifle being shot it has been riding every day in the back of my truck dealing with temp changes, getting bumped around and treated poorly. It has handled everything I have thrown at it. While I will not be selling my current M951s with Malkoff heads and my scouts, my next rifle build will have another HLX attached.

I have been testing the Inforce APL Gen 3 as a replacement to my X300s. After some initial problems with flickering I thought they were going to be a pass but after discoving you really have to crank down the bezel to ensure a solid connection with the battery I have yet to have a problem with the two I have been testing. While I am not there yet, the APL is starting to look like an option for me as an X300 replacement.

Point is Surefire has some serious contenders in this market. They are going to have to step it up. Improve their pricing, drastically improve their customer service and continue to innovate. Just my opinion on the subject.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Surefire MIGHT offer a light like this in TEN YEARS FROM NOW.

https://i.imgur.com/LfVwyet.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mcH0hhI.jpg

This is the Fenix TK75 2018

I have an older unit that “only” outputs 4,100 Lumens.

You can purchase this light for around $220.00 and it’s built like a tank.
View Quote
I remember you talking up the old version. Awesome light.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Surefire MIGHT offer a light like this in TEN YEARS FROM NOW.

https://i.imgur.com/LfVwyet.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mcH0hhI.jpg

This is the Fenix TK75 2018

I have an older unit that “only” outputs 4,100 Lumens.

You can purchase this light for around $220.00 and it’s built like a tank.
View Quote
I guess we have completely different requirements for lights. For me the number one attribute is durability and reliability. A distant second is output. Third is ease of mounting.

Battery type or recharge-ability are not on my radar.

Gimicks like strobes, multi-output, weird switches are a turn off to me.

Weapon mounted lights should be purpose built for weapon mounting. Handhelds aren’t that important to me, but simple and small are good. I want something that works, not some candlepowerforum member’s wet dream.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Are these both made by surefire? The top light looks great
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Edited; not GD -- sju
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I guess we have completely different requirements for lights. For me the number one attribute is durability and reliability. A distant second is output. Third is ease of mounting.

Battery type or recharge-ability are not on my radar.

Gimicks like strobes, multi-output, weird switches are a turn off to me.

Weapon mounted lights should be purpose built for weapon mounting. Handhelds aren’t that important to me, but simple and small are good. I want something that works, not some candlepowerforum member’s wet dream.
View Quote
Lol you act like Surefire is the only game in town when it comes to durability and reliability. Sorry. Those days are over no matter how much the loyalists try to hang onto it. I don’t blame you though, it’s the only thing you have left that Surefire hasn’t been blown out if the water. Well, they have been caught up to in that also, but it can’t really be directly compared like pricing and output.

*owns a very dated m952v
*might buy this new scout even though it’ll be overpriced
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote
So these showed up yesterday in the mail and no bueno. Sort of. They don’t work in my Streamlight hl-x. Too short. Compared to the protected models they are short. Compared to my trustfires they are really short.

So I put them in my olights and put the protected version in the Streamlight hl-x. The protected version is long enough.

Just a heads up for some of you out there. I’ve always heard about people complaint about the different 18650 sizes but this is the first time I’ve had an issue.

Going back to olight. They make awesome lights. My Surefire feels a tad better built than my Streamlight and my olight feels a tad better than my Surefire.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So these showed up yesterday in the mail and no bueno. Sort of. They don't work in my Streamlight hl-x. Too short. Compared to the protected models they are short. Compared to my trustfires they are really short.

So I put them in my olights and put the protected version in the Streamlight hl-x. The protected version is long enough.

Just a heads up for some of you out there. I've always heard about people complaint about the different 18650 sizes but this is the first time I've had an issue.

Going back to olight. They make awesome lights. My Surefire feels a tad better built than my Streamlight and my olight feels a tad better than my Surefire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
So these showed up yesterday in the mail and no bueno. Sort of. They don't work in my Streamlight hl-x. Too short. Compared to the protected models they are short. Compared to my trustfires they are really short.

Just a heads up for some of you out there. I've always heard about people complaint about the different 18650 sizes but this is the first time I've had an issue.

Protected 18650s may be taller, due to the protection chip on the ends... The sizing problems show themselves in most cases, with flat vs button tops. I've personally never had an issue with either protected/unprotected batts in the lights I use. I normally use Klarus, Orbtronic or generic Panosonics. This issue has happened to people, though.

Seems like the HL-X is scaled to fit protected batts only. Now I wonder if the HL-X has any built in protections.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Surefire is finally starting to come out with some innovative products again.  Quite refreshing.  Do want.
View Quote
Backordered? Cancelled order?
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Protected 18650s may be taller, due to the protection chip on the ends... The sizing problems show themselves in most cases, with flat vs button tops. I've personally never had an issue with either protected/unprotected batts in the lights I use. I normally use Klarus, Orbtronic or generic Panosonics. This issue has happened to people, though.

Seems like the HL-X is scaled to fit protected batts only. Now I wonder if the HL-X has any built in protections.
View Quote
Maybe that’s one way to help keep the price down.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Will have
View Quote
Correct, as will I.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Correct, as will I.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Ok, so it turns out streamlight leads for the TAPS switch aren’t anywhere near ready.

When is this light going to be available?  Looks like I’ll have to blow excess money just for a god damn lead. Sigh.
Page / 11
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top