Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2017 8:31:01 PM EDT
My buddy recently got a handheld surefire. Not sure of which model. But since I'm in the market anyway I would love to "one up" him.
  Only thing that comes to mind is Elzetta! Anyone else worth looking at?
Performance, durability, warranty, are major concerns. Also leaning towards a 1 or 2 cell c123 model.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not just get the Surefire that best meets your needs/price range?

I'm not totally sure what you mean by "one upping" your buddy... but Surefires are the industry standard for a reason...

If you want more powerful lights, some eBay-China thing, I'm sure could fit the bill for a lot less, but that's not what you buy a Surefire light for.

You only frankly need so much out of an EDC/duty handheld... I'm certainly not one of the folks bitching about lights being too bright... but in a practical sense, a handheld flashlight is a handheld flashlight, and I still get use out of my old incan G2s and 6Ps as much as I do hyper-lumen-fury-handheld sunlight lights. Remember that some of the heaviest fighting during GWOT was fought with a blisteringly bright 60 lumens of incandescent light...

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh I agree with basically everything you said. I actually have an older g2x I think is the model. Never any trouble or anything with it.
  Definitely do not want a cheap China piece of junk.  I was thinking maybe there was an up and coming company that I hadn't heard of yet that might be worth a look that's all.
  I'm leaning towards an elzetta.
I also have an x300u that I don't really care for when I compare it to my streamlight tlr1 hl.  The surefire does seam to have better fit and finish but for some reason the streamlight on off switchbjust fits me better.  But I don't really like any of the streamlight handhelds that I've actually handled so.

Edit to add: will be everyday carry whichnin the colder months includes filling the outdoor wood stove at night and early morning. It's nice to have a very bright light for that job because early morning I like to search around for varmints etc. usually get a handful of raccoons etc. with my carry gun that way. And once in a great while see a coyote out in the field but rarely have time to go back in for the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:07:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Handhelds?

I stick with the G2X Pro or Tactical.  I've been using them for years (one as a duty light) without issue.

They're bright enough for my uses and they just plain work.

Can't really ask for anything else.  I don't need anything fancy or new.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:41:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I edc a Nitecore MT10A and I love it. It's hard to find an adjustable brightness light that has a clicky tailcap and I like how you can directly go to the brightest (to the red led) setting directly with out clicking through modes. Works great for find small items in the dark as well as use as a tactical light. I like the cheap batteries vs CR123's. 
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:11:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:34:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Check out Foursevens line of lights.  I have a few of their models but the Quark has been my pocket EDC light for years.  It is beat to hell from being dropped and abused but still works great.

http://www.foursevens.com/
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Check out Foursevens line of lights.  I have a few of their models but the Quark has been my pocket EDC light for years.  It is beat to hell from being dropped and abused but still works great.

http://www.foursevens.com/
View Quote
I like them too.

1  single AA with XPG.
1  single AA with XPG HICRI extra warm LED  I use 14500 Liions.
For now collector is replaced with white paper roll around inside to make it a flood with no hot spot.

1 18650 body with neutral XPG head
1 QP2L XML with burst of around 650 lumens at start

All have forward clickies like their tactical models awhile back.

Find Used E2 and upgrade with drop-in from Lumens Factory or Tana.

Maglite HOTWIRE build with enough bulb to start fire when pointed at  black and white picture heavy crumpled newspaper.
You'll need to research candlepowerforums.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Streamlight Super Tac...canned sunshine for your hand.

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top