Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 2:23:37 PM EDT
I just noticed these are Airsoft copies of Surefire's L80. At first I assumed they were just original products.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7174350155&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, check this stuff out:

http://www.wickedlasers.com/products.php?content=extreme 125 mw green for $500.

They will pop balloons.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Its says that the cheap 5mw lasers will go about a mile I am guessing.  I ordered one like yours that has the KAC mount.  They are asian airsoft copies.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7217151763

Rob, did you notice that for $2,000 you can get a green laser that puts out 300mW (120 miles) and it is small enough that it could be weapon mounted (but not adjustable I am guessing)?  That would kick ass!

Fargo

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I would like to mount one of those on a belt-fed and use it for daytime aiming.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Watch this video:

Video
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I got my cheap green laser today.  I have it mounted on my M4, its sweet looking.  As soon as it gets to the 30's I am going to try it out.  Been damn cold the last couple weeks.

Initilal impressions,,,  The sight is not as bright as my red dot M6 when going out to 100 yards.  Totally disapears at 300 yards but I can still see the M6.  What the hell do you expect for a little over one C-note for a wicked looking laser sight though.

BTW, OT, I just watched "The Pink Panther" at the movies tonight.  In the NY scene, in the background was a computer mosaic, cant remember what it was of, but were you aware of this?  

Fargo

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#6]
No, I was not. Thanks. I am surprised that even a cheap green laser is not as bright as a red laser. I guess they can legally be 5mw but might be under 1mw.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Rob, I am curious after you take a look at the movie, I would like to know about the mosaic.

Thanks,
Fargo

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok.

I really need a good IR illuminator and laser.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I just ordered a 200mw waterproof hand-held green laser. Not sure what it is good for, but it should be fun at times like on the 4th of july. It can cut rope.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I would imagine you could remotely ignite fireworks fuses also.  Sweet!

I can see when the price goes down on those things that some dammage could be done by idiots.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#11]
This photo is a 120mw average, 250mw peak laser:

The one I just ordered is 200mw average, 325mw peak.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#12]
BTW, if anyone orders from Wicked Lasers, you can use this code (4457) to get a 5% discount at checkout.

I am kinda amazed cause this 200mw green laser was under $1000 and I have the Edmund Optics catalog and a 50mw green laser is generally $5,000. Perhaps the Edmund one has a better signal to noise ratio or a longer coherence length. Or maybe not. They have 15mw for $100. These are illegal if sold as 'laser pointers' but they sell them as 'OEM industrial laser components.'

Some videos: Laser Videos
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:32:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm curious first off could you see the 55mw say up to 100 yards in broad day light?  Getting a mount for it wouldn't be a problem.  One could have 1 made, but I'm like you Mr. silvers the prices are great on these items!  
My question is are these not a regulated item?  I see they are comming from China, but I was under the impression that the green lasers were regualted in this country?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:15:35 AM EDT
[#14]
All lasers are regulated.

IIIb lasers must either have certainly safety features, like a key switch and beam attenuator, or a variance. These are excempt because they are OEM industrial laser components. If you integrate them into a mount, the FDA exempts them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#15]
How about the Green Beam 2000 any one tried one of those?  Says it will shoot up to 1 mile @ night and sends a 1-3/4" dot @ 100 yards in broad day light.  It looks like what I'm looking for, but it seems a bit steep at 400$ when it is only a 5mw and you can get all of these pointers for so much less, and have your own mount made!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
This photo is a 120mw average, 250mw peak laser:

www.bemeyers.com/big/big_GBD%20Day.jpg

The one I just ordered is 200mw average, 325mw peak.

Fired off an Email to them and they said that FDA won't allow civie sales of that laser
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#17]
You fired off an email to who?

Trust me, you are not the first person to (incorrectly) tell them that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#18]
There are many ways to sell a IIIb laser to a 'civilian.' It is incorrect to think that police and military users are the only ones who can buy IIIb lasers. While it is true there is a variance for 'government employees,' there are also other variances. For example, any laser sold as an 'OEM industrial laser component' is exempt. Edmund Scientific has been selling IIIb lasers for decades. Their customers are school teachers, scientists, business owners, etc.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Silentweapon-

[How about the Green Beam 2000 any one tried one of those? Says it will shoot up to 1 mile @ night and sends a 1-3/4" dot @ 100 yards in broad day light.]

If that laser you have mentioned above is made by "BeamShot"......... I have the "Red" version.

First ...... the big fascination with green lasers is that the actual "beam" is visible in low light or at night -- not that the light is any brighter than the red laser. Actual testing has shown that the green laser tends to "vanish" a lot of times in backgrounds where targets are located --- this being in the daytime where your eye can not follow the actual beam to the target. In many of these cases...a good old RED laser that projects a bright red dot...... works out better and is easier to spot 100 - 200 meters away.

Do you really want a VISIBLE green line pointing back to where you are located in low light or night time conditions ???  I do not !!!  That's why I bought the 1000U Ultra red laser made by Beamshot.

This laser indeed has a special collimating lens that controls the size and focus of the laser to a very small dot at 100 meters away. I was very satisfied with the quality of the projected dot over larger distances...........and at half the price of the "Green Lasers".

Bottom line is that green lasers look "cool".....but don't offer much for the money you have to spend on them............. red lasers work just as well at half the cost..... The Beamshot Ultra at $108 is a very nice buy if you are looking for an aiming laser for the AR15.

Cold weather:  Everyone should know that green or red lasers have a VERY narrow operating temp. that goes somewhere between 50 - 80 degrees F.  That means when your laser gets very cold --- they stop working or are very DIM until they become heated. If the laser over heats in hot weather -- the same thing can happen. I routinely had to heat the green aiming laser attached to my Telescope -- in the winter time ---- or it would not work, a real bummer after spending $200 on a good one.

JF.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I did not know that about operating temp. I will look into that more.

BTW, I agree that visible lasers are very limited in use. But remember -- tracers also would also attract fire, and no one disses tracers.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Tracers -- Almost always attached to "automatic" weapon's fire.  I would not be so concerned about someone spotting my location if I have the ability to shower them with thousands of rounds in just a few minutes !

With a laser aiming device [ green ] you are not only showing a potential attacker where you are -- but you are "showing" them what you are about to do ............. NOT GOOD  <smile>

JF.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:37:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Silentweapon-

[How about the Green Beam 2000 any one tried one of those? Says it will shoot up to 1 mile @ night and sends a 1-3/4" dot @ 100 yards in broad day light.]

If that laser you have mentioned above is made by "BeamShot"......... I have the "Red" version.

First ...... the big fascination with green lasers is that the actual "beam" is visible in low light or at night -- not that the light is any brighter than the red laser. Actual testing has shown that the green laser tends to "vanish" a lot of times in backgrounds where targets are located --- this being in the daytime where your eye can not follow the actual beam to the target. In many of these cases...a good old RED laser that projects a bright red dot...... works out better and is easier to spot 100 - 200 meters away.

Do you really want a VISIBLE green line pointing back to where you are located in low light or night time conditions ???   I do not !!!  That's why I bought the 1000U Ultra red laser made by Beamshot.

This laser indeed has a special collimating lens that controls the size and focus of the laser to a very small dot at 100 meters away. I was very satisfied with the quality of the projected dot over larger distances...........and at half the price of the "Green Lasers".

Bottom line is that green lasers look "cool".....but don't offer much for the money you have to spend on them............. red lasers work just as well at half the cost..... The Beamshot Ultra at $108 is a very nice buy if you are looking for an aiming laser for the AR15.

Cold weather:  Everyone should know that green or red lasers have a VERY narrow operating temp. that goes somewhere between 50 - 80 degrees F.  That means when your laser gets very cold --- they stop working or are very DIM until they become heated. If the laser over heats in hot weather -- the same thing can happen. I routinely had to heat the green aiming laser attached to my Telescope -- in the winter time ---- or it would not work, a real bummer after spending $200 on a good one.

JF.

I have no intentions of going rambo in the streets of South Carolina, nor do intend on taking this laser over to Iraq and getting hired as a mercinary.  I do intend on using it on an RR for short distance quick target aqyasition on wild boar.  I have a Acog mounted on the top for longer single shots but for the quick tap tap tap I want something I can put on the hog and role with it.  If he or she starts comming back to the source of the green laser I'm running!

As for the Beam shot you have my attention, I might by 1 of those also.  Give me more info!  I'm gonna do a search now and see what I come up with.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Silentweapon --

Didn't mean to imply you wanted the laser to become Rambo <smile> Sorry

AS for the Beamshot 1000U  Red Laser:

APPLIED LASER TECHNOLOGY in California is a great place to buy. Very good Customer service and hard to beat prices !!!

www.appliedlaser.com

Toll free (800) 833-4780

These guys have very reasonable prices on their remote switches !!  You will need the 10 inch length as a minimum

Hope this helps...........

Any questions about the Beamshot 1000U  just let me know ??

JF.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#24]
How about the Beam shot 5000?  What is the difference?  I just saw it on Clyde Armory's page.  I'm going over to the web site you mentioned now!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#25]
TAG
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#26]
... Damn!
... Those "overseas" 40mW green (535 nanometer) lasers flat Kick Ass!

... I have a fold of lasers, including infra-red, but nothing comes close to the intensity (no pun intended) these "Wicked Lasers" green ones do.

... Cheapest thrill for ~$140 I've had in a long time!

... w00t!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#27]
http://www4.army.mil/ocpa/read.php?story_id_key=8536

Rapid Equipping Force helps Soldiers with a bright idea: laser pointers
February 3, 2006

The US Army Rapid Equipping Force (REF) at Fort Belvoir, Va., is expediting the first shipment of 2,000 new laser devices to Soldiers in Baghdad, Iraq. No, they are not the sophisticated weapon systems one would expect. This is a green laser pointer.

The eye-safe lasers, popular in boardrooms and classrooms across the United States, proved to be a visual and non-lethal way of dissuading aggressive drivers in Iraq.

"The system was very effective in stopping oncoming traffic and personnel,” said Spec. Loren Williams, based in Iraq, who routinely used the device.

How does it work? This green pointer is about 50 times brighter than the familiar red laser pointer. Its unusual color makes it much more noticeable. Unlike a red laser, the projected green beam can be seen in mid-air in dark conditions.

The laser is handheld, operates on standard batteries, and works at standoff distances.

It’s unknown how one of the devices first landed in the hand of an inventive soldier, but leaders say troops have historically discovered field expedient and innovated ways to accomplish missions on the battlefield.

In the past, the bright spotlights shined at a driver did little to dissuade erratic behavior.

In traffic control points throughout Iraq, hundreds of cars pass closely by U.S. and Iraqi soldiers. At times, these vehicles approach at aggressive speeds or without headlights at night.

According to field reports, aggressive driving has been reduced 60 to 80 percent of the time when the devices are used.

In support of ongoing mission in Iraq, the U.S. Army continues to observe soldier innovations at the tactical level, and spread those innovations across the force.

Based on Soldier feedback and observing operational use, the REF is working with vendors to make improvements for future spirals.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Interesting report.............. but not factual in its claims that green lasers are " Eye safe "

No green laser is safe to point into any human eye - Period !  even the weaker 5<mw

If you have been keeping up with the up-roar about green lasers being targeted into the cockpit of comercial airlines.........possibly blinding the pilots. There was some movement in congress to possibly band the sale of green lasers altogether here in the US......but never came about.

Any human being hit in the eyes at night time....where their pupils are most dilated -- are at extreme risk of eye damage

I guess it better than being shot by bullets <smile>  

JF.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I believe that ANY 5mw laser, whether 632, 650, 432, or IR in the 800nm range will do equal damage (or non-damage) to the eye. I don't think our eye's sensitivity to that wavelength really matters. If that were true, IR lasers would not be dangerous at all. But I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#30]
... FWIW to those interested, I performed a simple correlation analysis on $$$ versus mW yield with the Wicked Lasers product-line. I found that for your dollar, it's best to go for the 125mW green laser for $500. Biggest bang for the buck so-to-speak.

... If anyone is interested in a killer 35mW I may dispose of it for exactly what I paid.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey Winston_Wolf which model do you have? How much did you want for it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, you are correct -- but I wanted the Spyder model BECAUSE it was:

1. Waterproof.
2. Uses CR123 batteries.
3. Has a constant-on button.

In other words, it has professional features and is not just a little pen.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#33]
So this unit arrived in the mail:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7218891311

I have since learned it ia a Surefire-styled unit. I would not have bought it had I known that, because I am against cloning.

But, it is VERY bright. It is sunny out now, and the ground is all white snow. I can see it on a tree far away in broad daylight.

The quality of the machining is high. I plan to not use the fake-KAC mount -- again, cause clones are lame. I will buy a LaRue mount.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
So this unit arrived in the mail:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7218891311

I have since learned it ia a Surefire-styled unit. I would not have bought it had I known that, because I am against cloning.

But, it is VERY bright. It is sunny out now, and the ground is all white snow. I can see it on a tree far away in broad daylight.

The quality of the machining is high. I plan to not use the fake-KAC mount -- again, cause clones are lame. I will buy a LaRue mount.

Have you fired any rounds with it yet?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#35]
No. I will wait for my LaRue mount.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#36]
... Ha! Another interesting observation with my new uber-powerful green laser -

... Red, Cabernet Sauvignon wine, by far, absorbs (versus reflective surface) the laser better than any other material what-so-ever thus far.

... That's all
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I believe that ANY 5mw laser, whether 632, 650, 432, or IR in the 800nm range will do equal damage (or non-damage) to the eye. I don't think our eye's sensitivity to that wavelength really matters. If that were true, IR lasers would not be dangerous at all. But I could be wrong.

Once you get to the far edges or out of the visible spectrum, you lose the protection afforded by the blink reflex.

Catch a <5 mw green beam in the eye, you'll blink immediately, probably have a visual dot that will take a while to fade, but most likely will have no permanant damage.

Make that 35 mw, and the chance for permanant damage goes way up.  Make it IR or UV, and there will be no blink reflex, so the retina might be exposed for a much longer period of time.  sizzle...

Jim
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Ummmmmmm... this thread might illumate the need for kill flash additions to binox and scopes.  Not for the reflective flash qualities of the lense but for their finer focusing of light abilities and the kill flash's ability to reduce incomming light.

Someone said that someone said that in Iraq, someone with binox and you with a green lazer results in a real eye rubbing event for that someone.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Unfortunatly those honycomb things darken the view for the shooter also. They are a cool idea though. I wish I thought of it -- as they look really cool.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Wow, check this stuff out:

http://www.wickedlasers.com/products.php?content=extreme 125 mw green for $500.

They will pop balloons.

Wow, that should save you money on ammo.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#41]
rsilvers:

I would like to purchase the same unit.  Would you be specific re: how to contact the seller you bought from?
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top