Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/2/2006 11:27:35 AM EDT
Okay Ken, fill us in.

The press release did not mention whether it was adaptable between universal and picatinny but it looks to have a replaceable set of rails so I would assume it is.

Will it fit in holsters for the M3, M3X or x200?

I would like to know what pressure switches will be available. Hopefully one for long gun mounting with pad sized for the TangoDown VFG cutout?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:01:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 1:20:01 PM EDT by kenjgood]

Download Initial SpecSheet

Since we have partnered with Insight on this, we are using their rail system.
Their rail attachment system is a patented, adjustable Slide-Lock TM interface.

Therefore it will work on the Pic Rail or a Universal rail.

Tape switches are the next logical step and they are in development for this light.

Light will work with existing holsters of the M3 / x200 variants. BlackHawk is turning around and making Glock Pistol CQC holster that will work with this setup. That will be be shown at the SHOT Show in Vegas next week I understand.

Looking to May of 2006 for full production.

Finally, I think BlackHawk/Night-Ops teamed with Insight Technologies is a powerful combination for development and placement into the market. They have really stepped up to work with us. I personally have really enjoyed the interactions with them. We have lots of things to address. I am really looking forward to the things ahead.

Respectfully,

Ken J. Good
Night-Ops Illumination Tools
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:28:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:52:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 6:54:48 PM EDT by kenjgood]
We are probably going to do some restyling on the bezel. It terms of function, fit we are there.
It is a very clean 3-watt LED LED system.

Going to be priced just underneath the "other guys".

Insight just gave me this small Promo Video.

Night-Ops will do one with a bit more action/Hollywood/needless bravado....

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:42:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 8:54:12 PM EDT by DevL]
Range is listed as only 25-30m does this mean it has a much wider beam than the Gladius? If so why a different beam than the Gladius? Is it digitally regulated? Does it have thermal protection? Does it have a low battery indicator like the Gladius? Is the rocker switch like the Insight lights (temp-on to one side and perm-on on the other)? What will the price be? I bought my X200 new for $150 out the door. I doubt I will see this light below that figure. Is the weight with or without batteries? Sorry so many question but this is something I have been waiting for as much as a rail mounted Gladius.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:36:03 PM EDT
Ken, how is the light output compared to the x200?

Hopefully these will be alot more affordable than the x200.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:20:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:41:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 8:43:42 PM EDT by DevL]
Yes a company had 100 of them and forgot to do the full page ad for two months in a row and offered me a deal I could not refuse to liquidate sock before their catalog came out with the X200A for $250 wich is the MAP I believe.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:01:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 10:03:18 PM EDT by kenjgood]
The 25-30 meters really means facial recongition or identification of what's in the threat's hand. It's a conservative reference point.

The corona of the Xiphos is similar to the Gladius but the hot spot is a bit smaller but more intense. Insight developed their own reflector and we are going to use the newest K2 3-watt LED. It just has a different signature as both the LED and reflector are different. I think folks are really going to like it.

The rocker switch is identical in function on both sides. Momentary and Constant available on both sides.

Weight is just over 4 oz. with Batteries.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:03:32 PM EDT
Is the thicker design of the body intended to give greater structural strength or to act as a heat sink due to the higher output compared to the Surefire X200A/B? Just wondering why its about an ounce heavier due to the aluminum bulk you guys put in the body. Knowing how well thought out your products are I am sure there is a specific reason. Cant wait to buy one.

Oh, Will it outthrow a Surefire X200A?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:02:41 PM EDT
Unless you are planning on using your pistol as a hammer at a certain point you only need so much structural strength to make the grade. Thicker will make is stronger, sink it a bit better and let us have the body style we wanted.

I am not sure if the SF weight listed is with or without batteries: "Weighs less than 4 ounces".
How much less?

We are going to use a newest line of 3-watt LED's, the K2. Excellent output on this LED/reflector combination.

As far as I am aware the SF pistol lights are using a 5-watt LED which inherently flood more than the 3-watt LED's.

That being said, some like throw, some light flood. This light will tend toward the throwing end of the spectrum. I have not done a light for light comparision, that will come no doubt fairly soon.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:01:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:16:14 PM EDT
X200 is 3.5oz with batteries.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:05:33 PM EDT
Then I am going to have to say that our light is .5 oz heavier to help buffer the extra recoil of the more power LED module.....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:06:14 AM EDT
Hell I prefer more weight to help muzzle rise. I am buying no matter what when its released as it has to have more spread than my X200A with the 3 watt LED. Love the throw of the X200 but the Gladius kicks the snot out of it going room to room in a dark building... bout the same in long hallways.

So the switch is ambi on both sides. Does this mean partial lever press for temp up and down and if it moved fully up or down on either side its perm? Does it have the press forward to temp activate like the Surefire X200?

From your lack of response I am assuming it does not have any computer controlled thermal/polarity protection and is just a simple regualtion.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:43:28 AM EDT
The BlackHawk web site lists the light at $239.95

www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=4958&d=
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:18:18 AM EDT
DevL

Switching - Spring loaded DOWN on either side for Momentary - Lift UP for Constant ON, both sides work the exactly the same.

No center activation switch.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:21:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/6/2006 10:25:49 AM EDT by DevL]

So the levers are independant? Because if they are connected down for one side is up for the other so if you shoot wek handed the switching is opposite. If they ar connected how do you keep the light from going so high on the other side to hit the perm activation? If they are independant levers that is a VERY cool upgrade to the switching system. Perhaps it works some other way I am not understanding. Cant wait to play with it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:47:20 PM EDT
Each switch (right & left side) is independent.

Each switch works exactly the same way in term of function.

Down Momentary, Up Constant On.

I am not really sure how much simpler I can explain it.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:20:41 PM EDT
Thanks... independant levers explains it, its a first and I could not wrap my head around it, was used to X200 and M3 style switches.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:52:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:45:31 PM EDT
I will try and get some beam shots up in the next couple of days while at SHOT.

Best to everybody.

Ken J. Good
Night-Ops Illumination Tools
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:01:55 PM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:41:04 AM EDT
Ken,

I've talked to you in person recently about a pressure switch for the Gladius. How far off is that development? Also, do you have a plan for a pressure switch for the Xiphos in the works? I'd be interested in both.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:06:45 PM EDT
Supposed to have the lastest interation of the tape switch for the Gladius in my hand at SHOT show tomorrow. There is an engineer dedicated to this tasking specifically. Night-Ops has been given additional engineering resources, so we should be able to start picking up the pace.

I have already have the converstation with the decision maker for the Tape Switch on the Xiphos. Hopefully that can be released shortly after or on the June 2006 launch time frame.

It is a must & will occur.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:43:51 AM EDT
I hate to bring up that other flashlight manufacturer, but the pressure switches on their pistol lights are the heat. I haven't seen anything better yet. The tape switches available for the Insight Technologies pistol lights are, in my opinion and the opinion of most if not all of the other officers currently using them on my departmet, substandard. So far you and the engineers you work with are coming up with some great, cutting edge stuff. I hope that you guys can come up with a pistol light pressure switch that is similar, but puts those other guys to shame.

T. Jepson
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:53:34 AM EDT
What about adding another battery on the bottom, parrallel to the two existing, nestled into the groove between them, so the cross section is triangular rather than oval, and the light is freekin' blinding?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:55:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2006 6:00:20 PM EDT by kenjgood]
Got the input on the tape switch, thanx. We are listening!

Extra battery, don't see it happening.

The extra battery will not increase your light output on a 3-watt LED light, just the runtime.
In my opinion that extra runtime would not justify the extra bulk of the pistol light...Moving in the wrong direction there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:06:19 AM EDT
Oh. I thought more power meant more light. I was thinking along the lines of 6v v 9v surefires, but they aren't LED. I guess as pennance I will have to spend a month surfing Candlepowerforums.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:45:37 AM EDT
Expect a slap on the wrist with a 24" ruler....Think Blues Brothers scene with the Nun...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:26:22 PM EDT
Ken, any new info what the new xiphos bezel will look like?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:54:20 PM EDT
On the subject of tape switches, I'd have to agree that the "other" company's tape switches are the best as far as tape switches are concerned. This really doesn't mean anything because I have a p116 that is waiting a replacemnt tape switch back at Surefire. The Insight tape switch for my ILWLP are pretty much useless. That being said, I don't like tape switches. For me, and YMMV the tape switches are difficult to activate with gloves on, and I tend to shoot primarily with gloves on.

The rocker switch that the Insight lights come with are my personal preference. I can activate them no matter what grip I use, whether one or two handed and are user replaceable. Did I mention that we're testing out the ILWLP . The only reason, I'm not carrying that light daily is because until recently I didn't know that Safariland made a 6004 that would accomodate it. Now that I know differetly, that will soon be fixed.

Just my $0.000000002 worth.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:16:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:15:15 AM EDT
Ken,

When I was referring to the Insight tape switch, I was referring to the pig tail pressure switch. I was informed recently that the Streamlight M3X is available with a "Dev Group" style pressure switch. I have no experience with it, but have heard that it appears to be quality. I'm sure you have something on the drawing boards that will be just as, or exceeds the quality of this.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:41:42 PM EDT
When we develop and drop in the tape switch backplate, stand by for some real differentiation...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:30:01 PM EDT
Well how about a hint then?
Top Top