User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By KevinB:
John is a true Subject Matter Expert (SME) on the Night Operations - it consumes him.

Heck, his web site consumes me!!  I really enjoy folk who make their work into a trade craft!!! It also keeps us alive!
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#2]
lif filters are military only-
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 7:50:44 AM EDT
[#3]
The LIF we're discussing doesn't actually protect tubes against damage from a burn due to an IR laser- It is built to reflect light in the wavelength used by laser rangefinders like the Nd:Yag laser on a Abrams tank.  It could offer a tiny amount of protection b/c the filter isn't perfect and blocks other wavelengths of light but I don't think it would mean the difference between a burn and no burn.

I'm trying to find a source for this so you don't have to trust the word of an internet stranger..
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By Ahab:
The LIF we're discussing doesn't actually protect tubes against damage from a burn due to an IR laser- It is built to reflect light in the wavelength used by laser rangefinders like the Nd:Yag laser on a Abrams tank.  It could offer a tiny amount of protection b/c the filter isn't perfect and blocks other wavelengths of light but I don't think it would mean the difference between a burn and no burn.

I'm trying to find a source for this so you don't have to trust the word of an internet stranger..

Thanks Ahab!
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I have TWO brand new dual IR illuminator and laser modules new to the market I will be testing out next week. They are .7mw units and will also have some pics up as well when I receive them Monday.  

From what I'm told they are a quarter size of the PEQ-2A, weapon mountable, tape switch with an effective range of 2000m.  More to come!
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Say Vic, Chen told me one of the new ones coming out has an IR laser output so strong, you can put a cig in front of it and lit it, any of yours happens to do that?
If so, I gotta get myself one, saves me the trouble of buying lighters
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#7]
There some new stuff that came of the MD/NS - Insights improved ITIPAL etc. but they are not going public - and they won't even talk about them unless you got about 15 people vouching for you after you've showed ID etc...

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By Duffy:
Say Vic, Chen told me one of the new ones coming out has an IR laser output so strong, you can put a cig in front of it and lit it, any of yours happens to do that?
If so, I gotta get myself one, saves me the trouble of buying lighters

Not no that powerful...Talking about .7mW.  

The one Kevin referred to is probably the one you heard about.  

If Kevin gets a chance, I would like to see a those pics of the Atilla again on this thread.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 3:21:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KevinB] [#9]

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By KevinB:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/PicturesNV009.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/NVECATILLA200.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/PicturesNV003.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/PicturesNV004.jpg

VERY nice Kev, ya killin' me here, gosh these are nice units!! In the 3rd pic, is that the battery compartment cap off.  2AA's or one? Thanks for the fine pics Kev!
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#11]
What's the blue thingie for?
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By Victor:
I have TWO brand new dual IR illuminator and laser modules new to the market I will be testing out next week. They are .7mw units and will also have some pics up as well when I receive them Monday.  

From what I'm told they are a quarter size of the PEQ-2A, weapon mountable, tape switch with an effective range of 2000m.  More to come!

Very Intresting
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#13]
They're only interesting to me if I can actually buy one. If I am only able to look at pics of these unit online, I might as well be drooling over an Airsoft laser.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#14]
The blue "thingy" is the paddle in eye safe mode - it is a switchable module, the black is the high power.  It is very easy to switch and quite identifiable.

It is a two AA system - the Illum and Aimer run off the same battery housing unlike the PEQ.

While I have not YET seen the new improved Insight unit - it is apparenlty a upgraded 7500series PEQ - vis las, IR las, IR illum using C123's.   Six months or so from now - I'm hoping to be able to display a lot of new stuff...

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks, I thought it was something similar to the blue switch on the PEQ-2A
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Its a little easier to switch than the mini allen screw on the PEQ
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:03:08 PM EDT
[#17]
TAG!!!

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#18]
+1, waiting with baited breath...
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Got some further data on the units....They will have a power output of 4.75mW for the dual unit, not .7mW as stated earlier.  I received the units last night, and thus far, I'm very impressed.  I will try to get some pics out of the unit in a few days.  

Also, the stand alone adjustable beam laser unit will be to me in June.  It will have a power output of 80mw! The beam will be focusable from .2 deg out to 9 deg.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:47:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Vic, ya killing me here...pics...pics..any idea if these are for sale yet? and what would be the damages..
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:05:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#21]

Originally Posted By tth110:
Vic, ya killing me here...pics...pics..any idea if these are for sale yet? and what would be the damages..

Ask and you shall receive!!

The top pic you are looking straight down at the laser and the illuminator. The far left is the opening to the battery housing, a C123 3V Lithium.  The windage and elevation knobs are seen and the final version will have protective caps with no lost bands.  The tape switch is multi function switch actually. Pressing the top portion engages the laser and pressing down the bottom portion turns on the illuminator.  Pressing both at the same time engages both laser and illuminator. Ergonomically speaking, both switches are in close proximity to one another so not to fumble in the dark, nor accidently press two in combination by accident. Total weight is around .25 lbs! The unit is just beginning to test and should be available in about 4 - 6 weeks. Price for the unit is not fixed as yet, but will run in the $850-$950.00 region.

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#22]
So Vic, you said you had two coming, are they identical?  If not, then I believe you "owe" us more pics
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn...technology really shrink them down..
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like I need one of those
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 10:08:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah yer losing it

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:25:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Is that the hth-212?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Victor,  Thats a Soviet Bazaar HTH-212, bought mine over a year ago for $400 US from Soviet Bazaar sold it for $465 on ebay(okay laser illuminator, not waterproof).  I'm asuming your Illuminator is a Dl-70 PRO had 4 of them, all sucked very poor projection sent them back still wait on my refund 10 months later.  Soviet Bazzar's qaulity is very inconsistant  lately, will not do business with them anymore.  Newcon's IR Lasers are far better then anything Soviet Bazaar sells.  As you can tell I'm not happy with Soviet Bazaar right now, have purchased over $5500 of their IR laser and illuminators an my last order was 95% crap!  Problems consisted of poor laser projection, power output, cosmetic, no manual sent with laser or carry case or batteries, which is included with each purchase.  

To all reading this just understand  that all SB laser are not created equal, Some will work great and some will not.  Hopefully all who decide to purchase form SB will get good ones.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 12:49:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#28]

Originally Posted By bbvette427:
Victor,  Thats a Soviet Bazaar HTH-212, bought mine over a year ago for $400 US from Soviet Bazaar sold it for $465 on ebay(okay laser illuminator, not waterproof).  I'm asuming your Illuminator is a Dl-70 PRO had 4 of them, all sucked very poor projection sent them back still wait on my refund 10 months later.  Soviet Bazzar's qaulity is very inconsistant  lately, will not do business with them anymore.  Newcon's IR Lasers are far better then anything Soviet Bazaar sells.  As you can tell I'm not happy with Soviet Bazaar right now, have purchased over $5500 of their IR laser and illuminators an my last order was 95% crap!  Problems consisted of poor laser projection, power output, cosmetic, no manual sent with laser or carry case or batteries, which is included with each purchase.  

To all reading this just understand  that all SB laser are not created equal, Some will work great and some will not.  Hopefully all who decide to purchase form SB will get good ones.  

Hi,

Bazaar? Actually never heard of them until now. They are actually just an overseas dealer I guess?  I work and test directly with the designer/manufacturer of this unit. I am guessing the units you are using are an offshoot/clone or something?  As I stated earlier, these are BRAND new designed laser/illuminators with similar bodies to what you've seen. (SOME of the body housing ONLY is made overseas and I think that is what you are seeing)  Myself, and a few LE folk are testing these new units, and if the new units are NOT reliable, they will NOT be USED PERIOD.  These units will also come with an owner’s manual, soft case, batteries and a full one-year warranty.  Sorry you had such bad luck with your units described.  If ANY of the units I'm testing show ANY signs of what you have experienced, they will NEVER be released or sold. I am not in this for the almighty $$, NEVER was and NEVER will be.  I am a tactical consultant to numerous LEA's and my ONLY goal is to supply quality gear to help out the front line folk.

In regards to the illuminator you are referring to (not mine), I put my units through exhaustive testing and evaluation and it is a marvel!! I've sold over 40 units thus far, half here and the other half to 4 major LE units. ALL have been EXTREMELY PLEASED with not ONE failure to note. As for poor projection, take a look at this.

This was ONLY at 75 yards and the units are reaching out to 300M!  No way we are talking about the same unit here.  (Any distortion seen in the pic is from my poor digi-camera taking! ) Too many important tactical folk use the units I test, and as I keep stating if ANY of the units work in ANY UN-reliable way, I will NEVER use them PERIOD.  Once again, very sorry to hear about your bad experiences.  If you like, send me an email, I would be glad to have you try out my illuminator. It's a real torch!

Vic
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Didn't mean to hijack this thread with justification posts! It's VERY good we get to hear all the comparisons of everyones IR lasers and illuminators.  I'll keep reporting in what I find works and what doesn't.  I guess I have been the lucky thus far with the illuminators and lasers I've worked with. I hope to use a whole lot more including the Atilla, DBALS, IBALS, etc.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#30]
<--still eyeing Victor's PEQ-2A
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:28:28 AM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By Duffy:
<--still eyeing Victor's PEQ-2A

Here is some VERY early testing of the units laser/illuminator.  MUCH more testing and evals to be done.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Nice pics Vic!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#33]
hey Victor... i'm mostly a lurker here, but found your posts very informative.  I have a unit just like the one you posted pics of.  it says "made in belarus" on it, and has the laser warning labels and output of <5mW but no other markings.

i got it used, and suspect it's the soviet bazaar type, but i've had very good luck with it and my IR illumination is much like your pics.  looks that good past 100yrds for me.  

so, the downside to it is that the plastic cable that leads to the switch says "3MM MICROPHONE CABLE STEREO" printed on the side :)  heh

which gets me around to my question...  what do all your important tactical folk do with that cable?  I like to shoot a lot, generally until the  forearm is too hot to hold :) and i'm concerned I'm going to melt the cable.  so the AR with the laser gets shot rather slowly...  if you've got any tips, i'd love to hear them.  i'm thinking about trying to wrap it in some sort of shielding and running it through the YHM quad rail forearm.  

thanks,
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:34:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#34]

Originally Posted By taliv:
hey Victor... i'm mostly a lurker here, but found your posts very informative.  I have a unit just like the one you posted pics of.  it says "made in belarus" on it, and has the laser warning labels and output of <5mW but no other markings.

i got it used, and suspect it's the soviet bazaar type, but i've had very good luck with it and my IR illumination is much like your pics.  looks that good past 100yrds for me.  

so, the downside to it is that the plastic cable that leads to the switch says "3MM MICROPHONE CABLE STEREO" printed on the side :)  heh

which gets me around to my question...  what do all your important tactical folk do with that cable?  I like to shoot a lot, generally until the  forearm is too hot to hold :) and i'm concerned I'm going to melt the cable.  so the AR with the laser gets shot rather slowly...  if you've got any tips, i'd love to hear them.  i'm thinking about trying to wrap it in some sort of shielding and running it through the YHM quad rail forearm.  

thanks,

Hi,

hehehe on the stereo mic cable...The new ones that I'm testing do not have anything like this, no markings of any sort.  I think the bodies are very similar, but the electronic end of things is much different.  The illuminator FOV thus far needs to be narrowed a bit to get better range on this new unit.  The laser on the other hand is awesome!!  Work continues.

As for the wire-melting situation, we've never had an issue but I might have this concern if we had sustained FA fire. In LE work a sustained FA fight means something has gone awfully wrong and some training would be needed!    Now, if someone might be going out to the local desert/forest to perform mag dumps, sure I can see the cable might being in danger if very close to the barrel.  On my specific M4 as you can see by the pic below, (well sorta, not zoomed well) I wrap the Vital cord around the top portion of the M900 grip and then fasten a piece of Velcro to the bottom portion of the handle.  The cable immediately protruding from the vital rests against a KAC protective hand guard. I've had some serious heat up with this platform, but none has done any harm to the vital wiring.  I also never remove my vital. It and the M900 is more of a permanent fixture.  I think the key for any wiring heat up issues for this platform, has always been the KAC protective handguards that go over the rails.

There are many other forms of attaching tape switches and such talked about on this site that include using a bicycle inner tube to affix the switch as well.  Hope this helps.

Vic
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:58:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: taliv] [#35]
just for additional input, i'll post some pics of my own here...  The images are  700KB+ and hosted on my own server, so I'll just link to them to keep from DoSing myself.

IR laser at 150+ yrds
I'm lasing a roof here that I'm pretty sure is more than 150 yrds away.  My scope is gen3 w/2.5x magnification.  It's 4 houses up the street.  The streetlamp is washing a lot of the pic out, and I'm pretty sure it's what's giving the laser a trail, as I don't see that trail when there's not another light source around.  otoh, I have no idea why a street lamp would cause that.

IR illuminator pic
What's interesting about this pic is that the lower windows on this house is maybe 125 yrds away, and the tree in question is maybe 25 yrds away.  So you can see in one picture (I think) the fade and dispersion of the light over that distance.  The illumination of the leaves in the foregrand appears as bright as the candescent light from my neighbor's window.

That is, you can easily see the circle of light from the IR illuminator, and what it does to brick/glass at a distance, vs the much closer leaves.  (sorry for the out of focus on the leaves)

anyways, the point of this was to show the illuminator FOV, as you noted, on the 'other' dual IR laser/illuminator devices that use the same housing as the ones you have.

on a side note, it's interesting to compare the illuminator that's attached to my NVS.  It's pretty much only useful inside 20 feet or so.  After that, having it on just sort of makes the whole picture brighter, but fuzzier, so that you get a better picture without it.   Having two illuminators, one relatively focused and one broad,  is cool.   I know it would be easy to make an illuminator with an adjustible beam, but I'm wondering if it would actually be easier to use.     oh well, just wondering.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Hi , i want to know how much the AN/PAQ4-C in the second market ?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By RECARO:

$1000 and up
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#38]
And a AN/PEQ2A would cost?

Originally Posted By wes1:

$1000 and up

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By steven1513:

$1000 and up

Around $1500 and up
Link Posted: 5/31/2005 4:58:54 AM EDT
[#40]
damn, I'm seriously wanting one of these IR lasers and night vision lately
Link Posted: 5/31/2005 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By steven1513:

$1000 and up

Around $1500 and up

And.....$1,700 and up for the Vitals (used)
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 5:51:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#42]
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 1:52:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#43]
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 2:10:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jnglt91] [#44]
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#45]

Tag...

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 2:18:29 AM EDT
[#46]
There is a company called PentagonLight.  If you are interested in getting an IR Illuminator, they have one that is 4 watts strong.  A buddy of mine just got one and it was amazing when compared to the Surefire M1 that he had and always thought was the greatest.  It projects at least 3 or 4 times further and with a very wide view angle.  The Sure Fire one only has a narrow spot.  This PentagonLight company also makes several other standard tactical lights including ones with A.R.M.S. mount integrated.  The IR light is very well made.  I'm very impressed with their quality.  So I can imagine those others lights are just as tough.  I'll dig out the website and post again.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 2:27:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Here's the link to that IR Illuminator:

http://www.pentagonlight.com/item_detail.cfm__id.349

It is slightly larger than Surefire M1.  But my friend bought a remote pad switch together (which by the way is also very nice) and mounted on the AR.  It's nice.  I've only had been using Surefire, but apparently this company has been supplying to the military on the lights.  I wonder why it is not well known like Surefire.  I hope it is not a government-run manufacturing facility as in the old Russia days.   The name is suggestive though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#48]
That Pentagon light looks very interesting.  It's got a GREAT price, even at MSRP.  My only concern is if the "competitor" they used as an example was in fact the SureFire M1.  Because if it was the SF, then I'm buying a Pentagon light.   If however, the competitor was just a flashlight with the IR conversion cover, well.......................that's a different horse altogether.

Anyone here, have any knowledge of the Pentagon? and how it compares to the SF or Vic's light?
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Thanks Vic for the cool pictures, I think you can stop bashing yourself for the quality of the pics, they're pretty damn good!

I just realized what Vic had to do to take some of these pics.....turn them on, drive a few minutes away from them, take the pics, go back to the rifle

My picture taking effort is limited to taking pics of shit in front of my feet
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 11:20:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#50]

Originally Posted By v188:
That Pentagon light looks very interesting.  It's got a GREAT price, even at MSRP.  My only concern is if the "competitor" they used as an example was in fact the SureFire M1.  Because if it was the SF, then I'm buying a Pentagon light.   If however, the competitor was just a flashlight with the IR conversion cover, well.......................that's a different horse altogether.

Anyone here, have any knowledge of the Pentagon? and how it compares to the SF or Vic's light?

The Pentagon looks to have a VERY wide F.O.V. 20deg or more? (you can see that in their 50 yard pic) In their 175 yard pic, the light is out there, just a wide focused area.   I would like to see some comparitive shots, but do I have to buy this light too?    

Btw, The competitors light depicted is NOT a SF.  The SF uses a VERY good reflector that projects a perfect 15 deg circle at 50 yards.  Hmmm, I think I might get this light now and do a THREE-WAY comparison!  
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top