BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 11:27:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#1]
For now, here is mine again at 75 yards away...

The Pentagon at 50 yards away...

The Pentagon at 175 yards away...

The Competitors

You can obiviously see the huge difference in FOV which equates into intensity. Remember, my pic is taken at 75yards aways, the Pentagon at 50 and at 175.  Notice the trees in the background in the Pentagon pic at 50 yards, you cannot see in the shadows.  You can see some illumination, just not very focused. That is also apparent in the 175 yard shot.  I can tell you the unit I use, the beam is much more focused at 175 yards.  

Also, you can see the "competitors" pic is NOT my unit!   More pics to come, I will get some of my unit at 200 yards.

Edited to add...The competitors TOP pic (ME) loses out in picture quality.  Damn, I wish I could take pics with good clarity and sharpness!!!  

Also wondering if ANY of Pentagon pics were taken with ANY magnification, this make a HUGE difference to what you can see and depict. I have not used any magnification with my unit thus far for picture taking.  I can tell  you 1x viewing through the eyepiece at 250 with my unit shows average results, but look at it at 6x magnification and WOW!  Same goes for a PEQ-2a or any other high power IR laser.  It might seem the PEQ's laser poops out at 700 yards on a target when looking through a 1X PVS-14, but employ a 6x D-760 or Raptor and THEN you can see the target melting away!
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By Duffy:
Thanks Vic for the cool pictures, I think you can stop bashing yourself for the quality of the pics, they're pretty damn good!

I just realized what Vic had to do to take some of these pics.....turn them on, drive a few minutes away from them, take the pics, go back to the rifle

My picture taking effort is limited to taking pics of shit in front of my feet

Thanks Duff, but by the looks of many others out there. I have MUCH room for improvement.  I hate taking pics sometimes (like in my IR illuminator pic for instance), that picture is NO WAY what I am seeing in the eyepiece in relation to sharpness, intensity, etc.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Vic, we can't very well ask you to shell out $1000 to buy a digital SLR, which is probably what you need to manipulate the f stop and exposure time to take the pics you want
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#4]
tag.
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 2:24:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I've seen IR lasers with different wavelengths,  805nm and 850nm.  Whats the difference in performance and use? Is one better than the other?
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 1:52:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jnglt91] [#7]
jvtrotter12

In case you haven't already, check out this thread:  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=237460&page=8
It is current and running while this thread is a bit on the old side.  You might get a quicker and more complete answer there.

jnglt91
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#8]

<--still eyeing Victor's VIC-2A

Let's give it a good name.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#9]
tagged for reference
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By steven1513:

<--still eyeing Victor's VIC-2A

Let's give it a good name.

Da IR Torch!
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone know where I can buy a ANPEQ-2? Or selling one but not posted here?
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting concept. You didn't buy one yet?? but you would like to sell one? The answer for both of your questions is Ebay.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I think he was asking if anyone had one for sale that is not posted in the EE.

FREE
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:05:06 AM EDT
[#14]
tag
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:24:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tth110] [#15]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I just got a Pentagon IR illuminator and took it out for the first time tonight.

I did not have a weapon. I just went outside of town and played with it for five minutes or so.

Pentagon says it is a 300 yard illuminator -- I say 120 at best.
It is a major flood light with no focus at all.
With my gen 3 NV all it seemend to accomplish was to kick in my automatic brightness control and actually decrease what I could see.

I am half tempted to box it up and ship it back but I want to try it out in the boonies.

Where I was tonight there was a corn field on one side of me and eye high weeds on the other.  The IR reflected off the foliage pretty bad and that may have contibuted to the dimming of the ABC.  But even looking down the middle of the road it did not seem to work any better.

At this point I'd say it is only good for lighting up really dark spots like shadows etc. inside of 100 yards.

Oh and it makes a visable red glow that I am sure could be seen from a ways off.  I can even see the red in the daylight at arms lenght.

P.S.
Has anybody else had a problem with Illumination turning down their ABC?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:45:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By inkaybee:
Has anybody else had a problem with Illumination turning down their ABC?

Yes.  With the relatively weak integrated illumination in a MUM2.  

I was on a elevated platform observing personnel two decks below.  The active illuminator reflected off a nearby (about 6 feet away) surface and kicked on the AGC.  That nearby surface was very bright but the intended target two decks down was very dark.  Results were much better without the active illumination.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:01:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Inkaybee,
How much was the Pentagon IR?
Have you used a Surefire M1 Illuminator?(good for under 75 m)
Have you tried one of Vic's Illuminators?(good out to 300 m)
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:28:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cooter] [#19]
since this is a running thread on illuminators,,,,,,,,picked up one of vics torches,,,,,,,,,,it is a TORCH!

now my main concern was whether it would work with other generation  nightvision besides 3rd gen,,the nanometer ranges,,,,

threw a NV party the other night,,,,,,had all those I knew that had a nv unit to come over and see how well  the different gen units responded to the illuminator,,,,,,we were out before the full moon came up, so we were able to actually do a pretty basic all dark, and full moon comparison,,both in one night

first gen,,,,,russian goggles OH1, and american,(pvs2),,,,,excellent response,,,,,,you could see 200yds across a hayfield no problem,,,,,,where as before,,,,,you were lucky to make out much of anything,,,,beyond 50yds,,,,,
the pvs2,,,,with its magnification,,,at 200yds it was like a full moon out,,,,and bright to boot,,,,,,

2nd gen,,,,pvs5 goggles and a usnightvision 242       it seemed the 2nd gen units were more sensitive to the NM range of the illuminator,,,,in some ways it was almost bleaching out the area where the illuminator was ,,,,,,but,,,,,,I could light up trees over 300yds out,,,,cats at 175yds,,,,still impressive,,,,,,,,

and someone had a 3rd gen pvs 7,,,,,that it seemed the illuminator gave the best  performance with,,,,of you had a lot more contrast,,,no bleaching out ,,,,,,,

over all    everyone was impressed,,,,,,,,even when the moon came out in full,,,,,,,you could still see the illuminator a long ways out,,,,,,,

my only thoughts would be,,,,,,it would be nice to have a rear push switch like on a surefire light,,,and a  means to focus for a wider beam up close,, or a dimmer for backing down the brightness for some applications,,,,,,,

but anyway this is by far the best illuminator  I have ran across,,,,,,it beats a Q beam with a IR filter by a long ways,,,,,,and every other  illuminator I have used  (except the surefire,,havnt got one yet) doesnt even come close to Vics unit,,,,,,,

if you want a illuminator,,,,,,pop the money,,,,,,,,and get one,

you wont be dissapointed,,
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By wes1:
Inkaybee,
How much was the Pentagon IR?
Have you used a Surefire M1 Illuminator?(good for under 75 m)
Have you tried one of Vic's Illuminators?(good out to 300 m)

I bought it off pentagons web site -- I think I payed $130
I have not used any other Illuminators -- but I was not impressed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:54:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the compliments guys....We've been playin' around with a pressure type switch, but we are STILL not getting 100% reliability, so for now, push button constant on/off.  

Vic

PS, "Ink", you need to get one of these!  No kidding here, the units are a REAL torch!

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:00:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By Victor:
Thanks for the compliments guys....We've been playin' around with a pressure type switch, but we are STILL not getting 100% reliability, so for now, push button constant on/off.  

Vic

PS, "Ink", you need to get one of these!  No kidding here, the units are a REAL torch!

I know I should have given yours a try but ............

Anyway what do you say about the way Illuminatioin kicks in my MUM2's ABC and makes things worse?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, I just got my Pentagon IR light.  

I haven't had a chance to take it out for any real dark testing, but from my first impressions, I'd say it really is a flood light.

Using a PVS14 (with adjustable not automatic gain control) I didn't have any problems.  

I compared it to my Surefire M1 and there's no comparison.  The SF has such a concentrated beam, and over a set distance, I can light up, say a wall.  With the Pentagon, it will light up probably the equivalent of 8-9 walls (guessing).

I'll take it out this week and give it a good try.  My intended purpose is to use it at work (FLEO) for surveillance with the van.  I'll see how it lights up for the mobile CCTV lenses and then with my PVS14.  I'm guessing that if it has the reach, it should be great.  I can't yet determine how far that reach will be.

I'll be sure to let everyone know how it works for my purpose.  I know that it's substantially cheaper than some of the other systems, but who knows, I might end up buyign one of Vic's just to test it out, too.

It's too bad that we don't have photos of the three systems, at the same distance, on the same night as examples.  It's very hard to discern the quality of each with multiple ranges at different locations.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:35:47 AM EDT
[#24]
tag
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By inkaybee:

Originally Posted By Victor:

Vic

I know I should have given yours a try but ............

Anyway what do you say about the way Illuminatioin kicks in my MUM2's ABC and makes things worse?

Ink,

hmm funny I've NEVER has an issue of dimming down in my 14's and I have both the mum and FS 14 with adj, gain.  You have auto-gated units by chance?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:25:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mfingar] [#27]
Here's some PEQ-2A settings seen through a  PVS-14 off my balcony.
Thought you guys might find these interesting.

The white blob in the lower 5 o'clock position is a sneaker at about 25M (not mine)
Environment was: 75 degrees, med-humidity, full-moon, (still very dark, where I was sitting). The shadows spanning the left & right FOV are my balcony rails.

Low Power Laser.
Roughly the same power as a PAQ-4C...good general purpose

Low Power Laser / Low Power Illuminator.
The illuminator has an adjustable size...this is about the halfway point between it's smallest, and largest settings. The illuminator really cuts-down the laser bloom, making it more useful (the pic really doesn't show it that well).

High Power Laser
Robust "beam" to target. Not really practical at this distance, but great way to say "no..., over HERE".

High /High Power
This is an awesome setting for illuminating deep shadows out beyond 100m, and cutting through the urban bloom created by streetlights.

There's also a Low laser/High Illuminator.(not shown)...the pic doesn't look any different than the Hi/Hi...with the exception of the beam.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:49:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#28]

Originally Posted By mfingar:
Here's some PEQ-2A settings seen through a  PVS-14 off my balcony.
Thought you guys might find these interesting.

The white blob in the lower 5 o'clock position is a sneaker at about 25M (not mine)
Environment was: 75 degrees, med-humidity, full-moon, (still very dark, where I was sitting). The shadows spanning the left & right FOV are my balcony rails.

Low Power Laser.
Roughly the same power as a PAQ-4C...good general purpose
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/mfingar/Optics/PEQ_low.jpg

Low Power Laser / Low Power Illuminator.
The illuminator has an adjustable size...this is about the halfway point between it's smallest, and largest settings. The illuminator really cuts-down the laser bloom, making it more useful (the pic really doesn't show it that well).
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/mfingar/Optics/PEQ_LOW-LOW.jpg

High Power Laser
Robust "beam" to target. Not really practical at this distance, but great way to say "no..., over HERE".
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/mfingar/Optics/PEQ_HI.jpg

High /High Power
This is an awesome setting for illuminating deep shadows out beyond 100m, and cutting through the urban bloom created by streetlights.
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/mfingar/Optics/PEQ_HI-HI.jpg

There's also a Low laser/High Illuminator.(not shown)...the pic doesn't look any different than the Hi/Hi...with the exception of the beam.

Great shots with your camera...Can you tell me your digi camera type and the settings you used including auto or manual focus?  My shots are never this clear, always a smudge grainy. Here is a typical shot I took with a new laser illuminator to hit the market soon at 500M+ and a 200M shot All pics taken with a D-760 6X, with tubes specs at 29.9 Sig to noise and 2700 photo/gain, and EBI at .3.

Thanks!

Vic

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks Victor,
The pics don't do justice...It's amazing how much detail gets lost in the photos.

I used:
- Olympus E-20 SLR on a tripod
- PVS-14 on a tripod (slightly ahead of the camera lens)
- Remote shutter
- Manual focus
- Automatic exposure (seems to work the best)

BTW, your stuff looks great!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Thanks Victor,
The pics don't do justice...It's amazing how much detail gets lost in the photos.

I used:
- Olympus E-20 SLR on a tripod
- PVS-14 on a tripod (slightly ahead of the camera lens)
- Remote shutter
- Manual focus
- Automatic exposure (seems to work the best)

BTW, your stuff looks great!

Agreed, the photo's NEVER do the actual image justice!

When you say remote shutter, what does that mean?  Also, are you using the macro feature of your camera to focus the image of the NV tube since it's so close? Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#31]

When you say remote shutter, what does that mean?  Also, are you using the macro feature of your camera to focus the image of the NV tube since it's so close? Thanks!

A remote shutter release, or a timer, will let you take the picture without touching/jarring the camera.

I use normal focus (the macro one comes out blurry)...I bring the camera really close to the NV eyepiece...the rubber eyepice keeps the lenses from bumping. Getting it close gives you a sharp edge...

Below is my first pic (a while ago) holding the camera and NV by hand with no adapter. It was really tricky (not bad for a first time shot). I liked the fact that the cat probably couldn't see me too well

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By munyguru:
"AN/PAQ-4C INFRARED LASER UNIT (NOT COPY),Insight Technology. This is fully tested and fully functional! Ready to use. This is the 4-c so it is good to about 600 yards with gen 3 hi res NVD. Cosmetic condition is used with the following flaws, the elevation knob is missing the outer part of it, you can still adjust elevation but you need to use the pliers from your multi tool, the swith is fully functional but the plastic stop is broken so you can go past it, this is not effect the use of it in any way just cosmetics. $1000.00"

Is this repairable and is there someone out there that will do work on these units for someone that is not LE?  Worth this kind of money with the broken knob?

A broken PAQ?...I would give it a pricetag of $600 max.

You can find PAQ-4C's on the market, with little, or no flaws for around $1K. If they have all the trimmings (case, tapeswitches, mounts, bag, manual, etc)...the value goes up to as much as $1500.

I think I know what unit you're talking about...get a pic (the one I'm thinking of has a fair bit of cosmetic damage)

Buyer beware.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#34]

Below is my first pic (a while ago) holding the camera and NV by hand with no adapter. It was really tricky (not bad for a first time shot). I liked the fact that the cat probably couldn't see me too well

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/mfingar/Optics/cat.jpg

Look at those pupils - he can see you.  We pay thousands for NV, but a free kitten comes fully equipped .

And, if he can't see you perfectly, he can hear you.  When I walk around the house in the dark with the NV on, the cats act is if it is broad daylight, except for the contraption on my head.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By bsbg:
..... the contraption on my head.

Like these?

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#37]

..... the contraption on my head.

Like these?
www.scrapbookingonthemove.com/NewsletterMarch_2005/BUNNY%20EARS.jpg

Exactly !

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:04:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#38]

a free kitten comes fully equipped .

Does LaRue or ARMS sell a Pic mount to strap the kitty to my rifle?

Sorry bsbg, I'll stop now
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Tagged for later
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:06:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tth110] [#40]
. Don't ya love the hi power setting on that 2A. It is awsome. I used it in a foggy night once, pointed into the sky and wow...but then i realized i should stop before it hit the pilot
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:35:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steven1513] [#41]

Originally Posted By munyguru:
Any info on this unit would be helpful:

NVEC Mantis 140 XLR with IR laser/illuminator

Pros and cons compared to the PVS-14 or MUM-2.  Value on this unit would be helpful also.

TIA

From the NVEC website:
NVEC's Multi-Adaptable Night Tactical Imaging System (MANTIS®) can be hand-held for direct observation or weapon mounted for accurate night targeting. The MANTIS® is offered with a choice of image intensifier tubes and two long-range infrared laser options. The 50mW laser can be used to mark targets to 8km, or 10km with the 100mW laser. The adjustable beam can be used as a pointer, aimer, spotlight or floodlight.

Good luck getting one.  NVEC only sells to .gov.  Even if you get your hands on one consider where to get parts support.  I'm a firm believer in staying with gear that is easily serviced; Things break.  But email me if you still want more info (specs, price).
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By tth110:
. Don't ya love the hi power setting on that 2A. It is awsome. I used it in a foggy night once, pointed into the sky and wow...but then i realized i should stop before it hit the pilot

Yep, It's crazy powerful.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:30:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#44]
TAG!
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 5:08:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#45]
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#46]
If you thingk that is crazy bright you should see the 3 Watt model that some of the Air Force guys have wow is all I can say looking anywhere near there with PVS 7's on.  The air commanders pointer is smaller than a lot of the ones I see on this site and it is rated at 100mw IR and you can see the beam with out NVGs in a dark room.  The great thing about that is it fits on your pointer finger and thumb activates to point out the bad guys who in this case don't see a thing and soon are filled with bullets.  

The Army Owns the Night
GOD bless America
Very Respectfully,
David
South West Asia
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes The 100mw version is the most common we see in the Army and it is plenty powerful for us to use since it will go out to almost 10,000 meters with our PVS-7 D's that have better intensifier tubes than our older ones.  The funny thing is these better tubes cost less, than the older ones.  I used to take out a set of PVS 7's to the local police chief and show him what he really needed to buy for his police officers.  Everyone I showed them to wanted them immediately.  The real kicker was with the officers out in their cars, I would have them stop by and look into the woods with their flashlights then try it with the PVS 7's without any light and they all wanted them too.  This pointer is new for me this time going to war and I am thankful we have them.  The ability to point a target for your soldiers is a very good tactical mulitplier.

Keep us in your prayers

The Army Owns the Night
God Bless America
Very Respectfully,
David
South West Asia
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 1:25:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#49]
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Per request here is a couple of pics of my SR25 w/ NV setup. I'm using a Raptor4x and a Russian built IR Laser Illuminator. I'm not sure what model number the laser is. I bought the unit from Lanny Leonard and even he wasn't sure what model number it was called. Not knowing what it is sure hasn't affected it's performance. Granted with the Raptor the illuminator isn't absolutely needed, but at times it does help. The laser is beam width adjustable from the front objective. Runs off a single AA battery. And is pretty slick... I've been able to effectively light up targets 700 yards away.

A buddy of mine machined a mount for it out an ARMS Harris bipod mount. It works pretty well and is solid. I put a bit of a can't into it to help align the laser flood with the Raptor image.

When varmint hunting it's amazing to see all the eyeballs looking back at you hundreds of yards away. Good moving target practice.http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/Fongman/IMG_1087.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/Fongman/IMG_1085.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/Fongman/IMG_1069.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/Fongman/IMG_1067.jpg

JWL
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top