Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2003 5:49:02 AM EDT
I have actually been messing around with NVGs and IR lasers lately, as our friendly local armorer and ginuea pig for "new" firearms stuff.

AFter many months of scrounging through the DRMO system, I have finally gotten all of the night operations gear together and in one place, and we are about to embark on a new journey into the world of "night fighting." I am using an EOTech 551 with an M4, and the goggles are ancient, really beat up AN-PVS-5s that were free from the military. I also have a PAQ-4C that I just mounted. We had PEQs, as well, but they seemed a little bulky, though the laser was much brighter.

The NV setting on the EOTech seems pretty dim, though I can acquire it without much difficulty when wearing the PVS-5s. I have also experimented with the non-NV setting. It blooms significantly on the higher settings, but I like it better than the NV settings if I dial it down most of the way. I have heard that this could possibly damage the image intensification tubes. If this will damage the tubes, then I probably don't want to do this any more. Anyone know the scoop on this?

The PAQ may be overkill, but it is easier to acquire than the EOTech. I do have a couple of questions. When bolted to the RAS (I am mounting it to the top rail) I cannot use the constant on switch, and can only use the pressure switch plugged in to the back. Any work-around on that? I have only done a rough zero, slewing the dot to coincide with the EOTech reticle at 25 yards. I mostly use this weapon for CQB, and probably would not be taking a shot beyone 50-75 yards, anyway. I need to go shoot with this set-up, but it may take awhile to get the cranky old rangemaster to open for us one night for training. Any pointers on zeroing and offset aim with these? Zeroed at 25, the dot is about an inch low and left at CQB distances, which is close enough to not really matter.

Hopefully next fall, when the new budget kicks in, we will be able to buy some newer and better gear (at least a few PVS-7s and PVS-14s). ANything I need to be thinking about between now and then? We are kind of new to the concept of using NVGs for totally blacked out ops in darkness, so there is kind of a learning curve. My NVG experience is only consists of using them to drive trucks and pull guard duty in the Army, and we never had PAQs or PEQs (or EOTechs or Aimpoints, for that matter). Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Want to trade the PAC-4Cs or PEQs for brand new EO Techs?
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 4:55:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Want to trade the PAC-4Cs or PEQs for brand new EO Techs?
View Quote

I might do something with my PAQ-4C........
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Natez,

There is 8 seperate setting within the 551 NV mode.  have you tried to adjust the settings to see if that will make the reticle a bit brighter??
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I would reccomend using a bigger IR illuminator mounted to the rifle.

THat would allow you to still see in the woods with crappy NVG's otherwise you might have a little trouble with walking into the woods and not being able to see much at all.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

.....A GOOD, CLEAN ONE.

WES
View Quote

[:D]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top