BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2002 12:49:21 AM EDT
What ever happened to basic flat Black?

We have silver, grey, grey/green.

How about flat black or olive drab instead?
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 1:46:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Good point about the "silver" E2.

From my persective, I don't consider the -SG "Satin Gray" finish to be suitable for everyday use. It scratches far to easily.

Hard Anodised (-HA) is the only finish I use because of it's excellent durability. SureFire HA is to Mil. Spec. Level III. Details can be found in the data section of www.pk-engineering.com

It has been commented that HA is less obvious compared to "standard black" - especially when viewed using NVGs. In my experience, the almost gloss black finish scratches up easily too.

So the E2-SG silver is a show-off (or give to the wife for her purse etc) flashlight - a fun version of the very useful E2e-HA.

Under some lighting conditions, Natural HA can look very dark slate gray or deep, dark green. If you see photos of the WeaponLights in use out in the field etc, they appear different compared to the photo studio conditions.

SureFire make three "OD" green models - the G2-OD, the G2R-OD and the 8NX-OD.
These are a polymer called "Nitrolon" - a highly durable alternative to Aluminium.

Regards,

Al
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Umm, yeah, they are. They are both on crack, and trying to get you killed

Below is a picture of 2 Surefires. A old 6Z that was carried every day for about 3 years, and the M2 which replaced it, which has been carried every day for 3 years. I have more detailed pics showing the extensive wear on the 6Z and the nominal wear on the M2. But I figured this would suffice. The hard anaodized finish is FAR more durable, resistant to wear and superior.

But I guess thats just a lucky coincidence since the real reason they changed finished is because they are on crack and want to get us killed.

Link Posted: 9/13/2002 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#3]
The real reason Surefire does anything is to sell more flashlights.

If the new finish is more durable, great, but add some toner to the process to make it a nice flat earth tone rather than a light mettalic.

If I was still in the military I would just hit it with some krylon. But my current employer doesnt want us modifying the taxpayers gear that way.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 12:45:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Mmmmmmmmmmmm......Crack.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top