Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 12:40:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm not sure if it is or was an issue with the Magpul grip caps themselves (never happened to me personally) or if it was user error in not making sure that the grip caps were fully pushed up into place and clipped in, but I've heard of it happening more than a few times.

I do know that the grip caps on older Magpul grips used to be pretty loose to where they'd rattle around kinda loosely in the grip. However, on the Magpul grips I've received over the last 5 or so years the grip caps no longer rattle... So Magpul has tightened things up in that area.
View Quote

Yeah I had an issue with older, pre Gen 1.1 MIAD storage cores dropping free at the range. That was quite some time ago, I’ve since swapped to BCM GFG Mod 3s and haven’t looked back.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yeah I had an issue with older, pre Gen 1.1 MIAD storage cores dropping free at the range. That was quite some time ago, I’ve since swapped to BCM GFG Mod 3s and haven’t looked back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure if it is or was an issue with the Magpul grip caps themselves (never happened to me personally) or if it was user error in not making sure that the grip caps were fully pushed up into place and clipped in, but I've heard of it happening more than a few times.

I do know that the grip caps on older Magpul grips used to be pretty loose to where they'd rattle around kinda loosely in the grip. However, on the Magpul grips I've received over the last 5 or so years the grip caps no longer rattle... So Magpul has tightened things up in that area.

As your experience indicates it might have just been an issue with the older Magpul grips. I was never really a fan of the MIAD grip (not that it was a MIAD specific problem), I just preferred the configuration that basically made it into an MOE grip. So in the end it just made more sense to buy the MOE grip and call it a day... Less cost, no extra parts sitting in a bag in the parts bin to never be used and I believe the MOE to be the stronger of the two because it's just one molded piece.

To each their own, but I've never really liked the more vertical angle grips as offered by BCM and many others that are all the rage nowadays... I'm always surprised at what catches on in the the world of the AR15. Kinda like the slimline keymod/m-lok handguards that have exploded in popularity. I can certainly appreciate the slim and lightweight aspects of those types of handguards, but they are worse for actually guarding your hands against heat and I can't get behind the more complicated and less sturdy mounting system that's more easily subject to installation error.

Having said that, if I'm going to use a rail then it's going to be a quad rail and it's going to be a part of a monolithic upper. I've basically come full circle over the years and have even reverted to plain old plastic handguards on most things... Heck, even iron sights are making a big comeback for me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Plus, those Magpul grip caps have been known to pop out on their own. So all that cool stuff you had stored in there could be lost very easily.
View Quote

I've put a whole mess of rounds through rifles with various Magpul grips, not once did anything ever pop or fall out.

Link Posted: 3/18/2022 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#4]
B5 Type 23 P-grip.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've put a whole mess of rounds through rifles with various Magpul grips, not once did anything ever pop or fall out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plus, those Magpul grip caps have been known to pop out on their own. So all that cool stuff you had stored in there could be lost very easily.

My brother had it happen, but it's because there was so much shit crammed into the grip that the latch wasn't seated properly. I've never had it happen.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here, including experience with couple of FA lowers with MIAD grips, one a 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a fan of ergonomic palm swell grips with my favorite, at least of the AR grips I've tried, being the rigid polymer version of the Ergo Tactical Deluxe, which they don't make anymore (they made a wood version as well, that I'd really like to find). The rigid version fits my hand a little better (slightly different dimensions) plus it's not rubber. I'm not big on the Suregrip® rubber overmolding (or finger grooves for that matter but at least the finger grooves on the Ergo Tactical Deluxe fall reasonably well with my hands and aren't too obnoxiously deep). They do make a plug for it, if you want the storage capability.

I really like the LaRue A-PEG also. They're not quite as hand filling as the Ergo Tactical Deluxe but they are made out of rigid polymer which I prefer to rubber overmold grips and they're really comfortable.

I'm trying out some MDT Elite grips (the wood and rubber overmolded versions) that I'm liking so far. It's a smidge smaller than the Ergo Tactical Deluxe with a slightly more vertical grip angle (and the Ergo is a little more vertical than the LaRue) and the rubber on the overmolded one is not quite as spongey as Ergo's Suregrip®.

L-R: Larue A-PEG (rough texture), MDT Elite, Ergo Tactical Deluxe (Suregrip®) The Ergo pictured has had it's beavertail thinned (the beavertail thickness is one of the dimensions that is different between the ridged and the Suregrip® versions)
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#8]
BCM Mod3
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#9]
LMT Ergo
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#10]
B5.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:09:21 AM EDT
[#11]
BCM, Mod 0 for me, but others may prefer 1, 2 or 3.

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:16:57 AM EDT
[#12]
BCM
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Magpul MOE+ on everything. Just got a Geissele rifle. Going to run it with that grio before I think about changing
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#14]
https://danieldefense.com/daniel-defense-pistol-grip-black.html

I have been liking this ... Joe
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
B5 Type 23 P-grip.
View Quote

I like 23 on SBRs/Pistols

Ergo Tactical Deluxe on long range rifles.  I like how filling it is.  The Apeg is really cheap and works ok along with long length of pull stocks .  I don’t like it on anything short since the grip feels to be really angled rearward

For carbines- K2 or K2+, BCM mod 3
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I have tried about everything and I always end up at a MIAD with large backstrap and flat front insert. Never any issue with the grip plugs falling out but the only thing I keep in there is a paper copy of form4 on SBR's.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
MOE+
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Colt ‘Wide’ A2
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Moe K or BCM mod3
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm actually surprised not too many people like the TangoDown rifle grips. They have a newer reduced angle AR grip that looks pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
BCM Gunfighter Grips Mod3 for me.

BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Grip Mod 3 - Black
View Quote

Love the bcm mod 3.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm actually surprised not too many people like the TangoDown rifle grips. They have a newer reduced angle AR grip that looks pretty interesting.
View Quote

I have their AK grip and it’s not bad.  I may have to try their AR reduced angle grip.  It’s hard to get away from Magul K2’s and BCM mod3’s for working rifles and Larue grips for bench rifles.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#23]
The HK battlegrip is my favorite. It has a more vertical angle as well as being a little bit thicker.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Rubber grip master race...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Magpul K2+

Rubber grip master race...

THIS ... I wear XL gloves and the K2+ seems to fit my hand the best.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 1:15:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Hogue for the win...maybe I'm the only one...
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, I'm an AR noob so I don't really get a vote, but one of the things I love about it is how well it fits my small hands.  I'm new to the platform and used to shooting pistols.  That reach to the trigger can be a bugger with some pistols so it was nice realizing the AR platform is so comfortable!

Having said all that, I also really like the single finger "groove" on the A2 grip.  It doesn't seem super popular though as most folks replace the grip and most replacement grips forego the A2 finger groove.  (Is there a better or more appropriate name for it?).  If I do replace it, I'm debating between the Magpul SL and the K2+ with the rubber grippy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 11:34:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

They had a problem with this back in 2017 or 2018. I had two fall out on me, as well as a friend who built up a rifle using one too. Only ever had it happen then. Magpul didn’t push back on it like they normally have for warranty stuff either.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I've always loved the "esthetics" of the Tango Down BG-16 grip. Finally picked one up and that old school angle is just not for me... I know they make a more modern angle one, but I'm not really into the looks of it.

I like the newer textured B5 grip, but I wish it was a bit slimmer. BCM Mod 0 might be the answer for that.

Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have the BG18 and I really like it
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#30]
A1 grip for most builds or retro builds, but when I'm building something shorter like a pistol I go with the MAGPUL K grip.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#31]
MOE + or LaRue
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#32]
B5 is my favorite.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well, I'm an AR noob so I don't really get a vote
View Quote

OF COURSE YOU GET A VOTE!

EVERYONE was a noob at some point.
Keep with it, learn and practice!

It's all about what you like, and what works best for YOU!

I just wanted some suggestions for grips.

Be you. Do you.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MOE+

Same .  LSO for retro carbines.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:42:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Magpul MOE K2.

Love the angle, has storage options, cheap.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
MOE + or LaRue
View Quote

A peg on my bench gun. MOE+ on everything else
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:36:14 AM EDT
[#38]
I've went back to the old school and have a couple Cav Arms versions of this
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
BCM Gunfighter Grips Mod3 for me.

BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Grip Mod 3 - Black
View Quote

I like this grip also but I stipple the lower half of this grip. I will eventually replace all my grips with this one!
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Hogue Overmolded on my .50 Beowulf, A2 on 5.56 and 6.8, Magpul on 6.5 CM.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Well, I'm an AR noob so I don't really get a vote, but one of the things I love about it is how well it fits my small hands.  I'm new to the platform and used to shooting pistols.  That reach to the trigger can be a bugger with some pistols so it was nice realizing the AR platform is so comfortable!

Having said all that, I also really like the single finger "groove" on the A2 grip.  It doesn't seem super popular though as most folks replace the grip and most replacement grips forego the A2 finger groove.  (Is there a better or more appropriate name for it?).  If I do replace it, I'm debating between the Magpul SL and the K2+ with the rubber grippy.
View Quote

I also like the finger nub on A2 grips, but the shallower angle of modern grips is so much nicer that I don't miss it lol. Try a Magpul SL if you like thinner grips (like me).

I just ordered one of those $10 AC Unity pdw style grips on a whim. I'll post my thoughts/comparison on it when it comes.

ETA: not a fan of the AC Unity grip. It's pretty similar to a Magpul moe; maybe a bit thicker feeling, and it's not very grippy.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#42]
moe k2, bcm mod 3

though they couldn't be more different than the two I just named, I also really like my Larue and Hogue grips too
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Reptilia CQG for SBR or pistol
Larue A-PEG for everything else
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top