Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2017 1:17:29 PM EDT
I was walking around with my AR-15 yesterday and I realized how nice it would be to have a sling.

Single-point sling?  Two-point sling?

What sling adapter mount?  My Magpul stock does have a QD mount.

I like the idea of the single point sling but I have no experience with any of this.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Magpul makes a dual QD that lets you use it as a single point or two point. The quick adjust on the length is awesome too.

Magpul MS4 gen2

ETA: Mounts. Most stocks have QD holes in 1 or more places. I like using an ambi ring before the castle nut, and I also like magpuls low profile QD pic rail mount on my toprail just in front of the lower. Those 3 give me LOTS of combinations depending on my needs and clothes.

My favorite AR has 4 mount positions. I'll probably remove the one at the front of the handguard.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Magpul MS1 if you want two point or get the MS4 and a rail QD socket if you want a convertible 2-1.

I prefer two points made by magpul (soft webbing) and blue force gear (easy adjustment)
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a Magpul sling that can be either single or two point, and decide which set up best suits your own needs...

That being said, If you have to choose between a exclusively Two point or single point only sling for some reason, I say go with a two point.
Its only downside is that its a little slower when transitioning the rifle from shoulder to shoulder, like when firing from cover.
Other then that a Two point does everything else better and wont hit you in the nuts if you have to go to your pistol, or drop the rifle to the sling and it can be slung and carried in more ways (across your back...etc). The slower transition time of a two point can be minimized if you experiment with where you attach it to the rifle. (l like mine attached to the end plate and the other point attached to my hand guard, behind my fore grip.)

A good way to think of it is a Single Point is more of a rifle retention system then a sling. A single point sling keeps the rifle attached to you more then it carries the rifle.

A two point will both keep the rifle attached like a single point, but will also carry the rifle if you need to use both hands.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Magpul MS1.  Get the end points as needed.  I have mine setup so that I can do 1 or 2 point as needed.  Slick setup.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for the MS1
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 3:05:06 AM EDT
[#6]
2 pt. Magpul MS1. You'll be able to modify it as you wish (QD, clip, single/dual, etc).
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 3:28:29 AM EDT
[#7]
VTAC sling. You can mount it in any way imaginable.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Magpul MS1 with Magpul QDs, this is my preferred set up.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a big fan of the Blue Force Gear VCAS.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 2:48:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Way of the Gun Proctor Sling

No extra mounting hardware needed, lightweight, easy to lengthen/tighten/adjust, affordable, and out of the way until you need it.  Made by a Special Forces guy with "boots on the ground" knowledge of weapon handling and retention. Great sling!

Frank Proctor Demo Video
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#11]
VTAC or VCAS are both my #1 choices. Great slings, used my the military as well.

I... own both... 2 of each...
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#12]
V tac, I have 4.
Some guy named Kyle Lamb turned me on to them
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#13]
VCAS or VTAC.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:03:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I am not a professional door kicker\combat operator, but I think the VTAC padded 2 point is the best. Padded for comfort yo. Does everything the vickers does, for a little less $$$.
I have no idea what the use is for a single point sling in the real world. I guess so it can dangle from your tac gear with lesss strapping involved? But how then does your rifle not flop around and hit you in the balls if you are doing something other than holding your weapon...?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No extra mounting hardware needed, lightweight, easy to lengthen/tighten/adjust, affordable, and out of the way until you need it.  Made by a Special Forces guy with "boots on the ground" knowledge of weapon handling and retention. Great sling!

Frank Proctor Demo Video
View Quote
+87
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I use Magpul MS3/4's with both clips and QD attachments
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
VTAC sling. You can mount it in any way imaginable.
View Quote
I switched to this sling after completing the UDC courese at CSAT (Paul Howe). I like how the sling allows you to cinch the rifle tight, which is nice when you are doing stuff with both hands and need the rifle outta the way. The only down side that I encountered was when I ran the Scrambler.  The sling (I had the sling completely open) would, occasionaly, get hung up on the bottom of my pistol mag carrier on my left side when bringing the rifle up to shoot. This never happened with my padded Vicker's sling. I just gotta use it more and see how I can minimize this.

At any rate, I think the VTAC sling is more versatile and like how the rifle can be cinched tight to the body to keep the rifle from flopping around.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Frank Proctor Demo Video
View Quote
I've never heard of this one, but the $30 versus $85 for the Magpul sling ($55 sling plus $30 rail attachment point) makes it a done deal for me.  I'm getting one.  I assumed the front attachment point will go just aft of my front MBUS, around the handguard, and sitting between two rails on the top of the handguard (I have a Diamondhead)?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been very happy with my VTAC slings for most rifles, and my VTAC padded slings for my bigger heavier rifles. I have a Troy and Magpul and they're both good, but I really see no reason to look any further than the two VTACs.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#20]
The only downside to a VTAC is the tail flapping around and catching on brush or dragging in the mud.  The Vickers doesn't have that problem, but it doesn't have nearly as much adjustment, either.

I've been looking for a WOG sling to try.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#21]
2 point sling without question.

Vickers or Viking

Put some QD mounts on it and attach wherever you like.

I prefer the QD end plate mount and then up front on the rail.

Haley strategic has a nice little QD mount kit for 35~$
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've never heard of this one, but the $30 versus $85 for the Magpul sling ($55 sling plus $30 rail attachment point) makes it a done deal for me.  I'm getting one.  I assumed the front attachment point will go just aft of my front MBUS, around the handguard, and sitting between two rails on the top of the handguard (I have a Diamondhead)?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Frank Proctor Demo Video
currently 15% off w/ code WOTG
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
2 point sling without question.

Vickers or Viking

Put some QD mounts on it and attach wherever you like have QD sockets.

I prefer the QD end plate mount and then up front on the rail.

Haley strategic has a nice little QD mount kit for 35~$
View Quote
FIFY, this is one of the reasons I like the Proctor sling, you can literally attach it anywhere . For those that insist on QD attachment, the Proctor sling is offered with those as well.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Coupon code still works. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 7:26:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Another vote for a Magpul 2-point setup, I like their MS-1 which does everything I need a sling to do.
QD mount points can be a subjective  preference, I like my forward point at the rear of the hand guard and the rear point at either the end plate or on the buttstock depending upon circumstances.

Tomac

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm not a fan of single point slings because they don't aid in keeping the rifle steady. While I prefer a two point for nearly every shooting situation I'd find myself in, if I was back in a tactical environment I'd opt for a three point. It has all the readiness to shoot of a single point with the benefit of stability (which is my main reason for a sling to begin with).

For my setup, I have an STI sling (which adjusts FAST) looped through the MOE rifle stock in the rear, with a forward QD on the rail and another QD in the forward position of the buttstock. That way if I use the lower with another upper, I don't have a sling flopping at one end. And having a second point makes a huge difference, even if it's merely 6 inches away. I was shocked how much a difference it made the first time I used that setup.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
V tac, I have 4.
Some guy named Kyle Lamb turned me on to them
View Quote
This...make sure you get the padded VTAC.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#28]
The Savvy sniper sling is a great sling.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Frank Proctor Demo Video
Rear QD sucks ergonomically compared to attaching via the stock itself, and is harder to use if you get snagged.. You can setup any of these slings without qd on the rear.  How much QD do we really need?
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I switched to this sling after completing the UDC courese at CSAT (Paul Howe). I like how the sling allows you to cinch the rifle tight, which is nice when you are doing stuff with both hands and need the rifle outta the way. The only down side that I encountered was when I ran the Scrambler.  The sling (I had the sling completely open) would, occasionaly, get hung up on the bottom of my pistol mag carrier on my left side when bringing the rifle up to shoot. This never happened with my padded Vicker's sling. I just gotta use it more and see how I can minimize this.

At any rate, I think the VTAC sling is more versatile and like how the rifle can be cinched tight to the body to keep the rifle from flopping around.
View Quote
I went from VCAS for years to VTAC two years ago and love the VTAC for the same reasons as you.

I cut the cuff off of mine and let the tail hang free. Doesn't hang up on anything and I have no trouble using or adjusting it.  I use it a lot in low/no light conditions and it's a lot easier to use than the VCAS.

I do a lot of in and out/ off and on vehicles, ATVs, ladders, gates, whatever.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top