Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2017 8:18:21 PM EDT
This thread is part of a couple I'm posting related to buying some news slings.

I am interested in getting a B5 Systems Bravo Stock for a Colt 6920 rifle.

It doesn't come with sling swivel.  

Does it matter which one I get?  Are they all going to fit properly in the B5 stock above?

Is there a preference for any of these?  

Magpul QD Sling Swivel

CNC Warrior QD Sling Swivel

Magpul QDM Quick Disconnect Sling Swivel

Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:59:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I have always used vltor swivels that look like the first pic you have posted. Never any issues with staying secure in a wide variety of stocks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out the ALG Forged Sling Swivels also.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have always used vltor swivels that look like the first pic you have posted. Never any issues with staying secure in a wide variety of stocks.
View Quote
SKD has them but out of stock.  I was actually going to post them as well but can't find them anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Check out the ALG Forged Sling Swivels also.
View Quote
I'll take a look.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Both Magpuls are some of the very best. The last one, the QDM, is IMO the best I have seen. The stainless BCM is good and made of black oxide coated stainless, but not as well made as Magpul regular swivels, which appear almost identical to the swivels Blue Force Gear uses. The standard is not as nice or easy to use as the Magpul QDM. The QDM has MIM components, but very high quality, fit, and finish. The MI units and othe budget "decent" quality swivels are also OK, but are on a slightly lower level of attention to detail. Not tried the ALG yet.

I have 5 BFG standard swivels, 1 BFG RED swivel, 1 BCM Stainless swivel, 4 Magpul QDM swivels, 2 regular Magpul QD swivels in the collection at the moment. Got rid of another BFG RED swivel and standard QD because I don't like the way the RED cable takes a set with use. The Magpul QDM is what a RED should be but isnt IMO.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Both Magpuls are some of the very best. The last one, the QDM, is IMO the best I have seen. The stainless BCM is good and made of black oxide coated stainless, but not as well made as Magpul regular swivels, which appear almost identical to the swivels Blue Force Gear uses. The standard is not as nice or easy to use as the Magpul QDM. The QDM has MIM components, but very high quality, fit, and finish. The MI units and othe budget "decent" quality swivels are also OK, but are on a slightly lower level of attention to detail. Not tried the ALG yet.

I have 5 BFG standard swivels, 1 BFG RED swivel, 1 BCM Stainless swivel, 4 Magpul QDM swivels, 2 regular Magpul QD swivels in the collection at the moment. Got rid of another BFG RED swivel and standard QD because I don't like the way the RED cable takes a set with use. The Magpul QDM is what a RED should be but isnt IMO.
View Quote
Thank you, DevL.  I really appreciate the info.

Question:  The BFG comes in a 1" and 1.25".  Any preference?  Isn't most webbing 1.25"?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, the 1" webbing for 1" sling swivel is for use in a lightweight SBR, pistol caliber carbine, PDW, etc. Everything else 1.25" sling and swivel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Hell no, they're not all made equal. Definitely get brand name unless you like your rifle falling off your ass.  And even then...  

That said, the best way to hook up to that stock is directly.  Slide through, go through the clip, slide back through.  I just use them on the front because paracord is ugly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I actually like using 1" swivels on my 1.25" slings. Stuff like that you will need to figure out on your own. Damage industries makes nice swivels and they have big sales a few times a year that brings them down around $6 each.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes, the 1" webbing for 1" sling swivel is for use in a lightweight SBR, pistol caliber carbine, PDW, etc. Everything else 1.25" sling and swivel.
View Quote
Thank you all for the additional info, including connecting it directly.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:10:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm a fan of "flush button" Damage Industries QD swivels. Made in USA, cheap (especially during their, often, sales) and they WORK.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:24:21 AM EDT
[#12]
GrovTec are pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:05:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I won't buy ANYTHING from CNC warrior after they sent me a out of spec suppressor alignment rod and never responded to multiple emails...
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Also like to add...

After lookimg again, BFG seems to use 1" on the front of thier slings for some reason on the sewn in versions I have. Larger on the rear.

I have come to not like my QDM Magpuls as much as my standard Magpuls on the front of my slings. The standard Magpuls are easier to work moving 2 to 1 point and back and there is this curios thing where if you are applying a rotating pressure on a QDM and push down on just one side, it will release. You have to lift from both sides, but not if you push down. I have not dropped a rifle due to one in that situation, but it makes me nervous and has just been slower than standard Magpuls, but faster than BFG.

The standard Magpul swivel has a large button non recessed. In a BCM QD reciever plate socket (my go to non expensive QD plate) a CTR stock will be pushing the button in when closed, but I have never, not even trying to as hard as I could, get it to come loose when moving the stock from the fully closed position. As you release it deploys the button out and the ball bearings engage the socket.

The Blue Forces Gear swivels are small button. They are also non-recessed, like Magpul standard, and the body looks the same other than finish (BCM is like a dark to light grey parkerize the Magpul looks more like dark black melonite), but they are harder to manipulate than the Magpul standards. The small 1" BCM especially because it's hard to hold and work when moving back and forth going 2 to 1 point. They have a smaller button but the small button top is flat. On the Magpul it is large and domed. You must get the button below flush, which is tough on the small flat BFG, but easier on the Magpul because it is domed, larger area, and you don't have to push as far below the rimmed body edge because of it.

Contrast that to the BCM QD, which looks like  nitrided stainless, has a totally different scalloped body, different button, and its button is fully below the body lip. They mechanism "feels" less smoothe and you hear squeaking springs. But it will never let go accidentally for sure. It is bulkier and the hardest to release.

I wish the QDM did not allow the mechanism to be pushed inward on one side to release when twisting. You cannot pull on one side only to release, even when twisting.

I have seen cheap Chi-com made swivels self destruct on first use and spit the ball bearing out. It's usually related to cheap guts inside the swivel giving way, not the bearings, body, or loop.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Also like to add...

After lookimg again, BFG seems to use 1" on the front of thier slings for some reason on the sewn in versions I have. Larger on the rear.

I have come to not like my QDM Magpuls as much as my standard Magpuls on the front of my slings. The standard Magpuls are easier to work moving 2 to 1 point and back and there is this curios thing where if you are applying a rotating pressure on a QDM and push down on just one side, it will release. You have to lift from both sides, but not if you push down. I have not dropped a rifle due to one in that situation, but it makes me nervous and has just been slower than standard Magpuls, but faster than BFG.

The standard Magpul swivel has a large button non recessed. In a BCM QD reciever plate socket (my go to non expensive QD plate) a CTR stock will be pushing the button in when closed, but I have never, not even trying to as hard as I could, get it to come loose when moving the stock from the fully closed position. As you release it deploys the button out and the ball bearings engage the socket.

The Blue Forces Gear swivels are small button. They are also non-recessed, like Magpul standard, and the body looks the same other than finish (BCM is like a dark to light grey parkerize the Magpul looks more like dark black melonite), but they are harder to manipulate than the Magpul standards. The small 1" BCM especially because it's hard to hold and work when moving back and forth going 2 to 1 point. They have a smaller button but the small button top is flat. On the Magpul it is large and domed. You must get the button below flush, which is tough on the small flat BFG, but easier on the Magpul because it is domed, larger area, and you don't have to push as far below the rimmed body edge because of it.

Contrast that to the BCM QD, which looks like  nitrided stainless, has a totally different scalloped body, different button, and its button is fully below the body lip. They mechanism "feels" less smoothe and you hear squeaking springs. But it will never let go accidentally for sure. It is bulkier and the hardest to release.

I wish the QDM did not allow the mechanism to be pushed inward on one side to release when twisting. You cannot pull on one side only to release, even when twisting.

I have seen cheap Chi-com made swivels self destruct on first use and spit the ball bearing out. It's usually related to cheap guts inside the swivel giving way, not the bearings, body, or loop.
View Quote
Thank you for the additional info.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 4:04:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I've tried the Magpul and various other companies, but I like Magpuls the best. The button is just the right sized for it to be able to quick detach.

I also have a B5 stock on my "main" gun... it's my favorite stock by far, with the only one rivaling it being the Magpul ACS

Things you should know about the stock: The front of the stock is a sharp 90 degree angle, and if you rest your cheek on the buffer tube and stock, you'll feel the sharp angle. Like pretty much all of these stocks with battery tubes, it's hard to get it sitting flat against your chest while slung up.
The only reason why I like the ACS more is that it doesn't have the sharp angle at the front.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've tried the Magpul and various other companies, but I like Magpuls the best. The button is just the right sized for it to be able to quick detach.

I also have a B5 stock on my "main" gun... it's my favorite stock by far, with the only one rivaling it being the Magpul ACS

Things you should know about the stock: The front of the stock is a sharp 90 degree angle, and if you rest your cheek on the buffer tube and stock, you'll feel the sharp angle. Like pretty much all of these stocks with battery tubes, it's hard to get it sitting flat against your chest while slung up.
The only reason why I like the ACS more is that it doesn't have the sharp angle at the front.
View Quote
Got it. Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I actually like using 1" swivels on my 1.25" slings. Stuff like that you will need to figure out on your own. Damage industries makes nice swivels and they have big sales a few times a year that brings them down around $6 each.
View Quote
I also like Damage Industries swivels.   They are very high quality and are actually mil-spec.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 12:22:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A good many users of QD, push-button, sling swivels find that the usual sockets allow unlimited rotation of the QD sling swivel within the socket/cup, and often this results in a tangled-up sling.

Before buying such a QD sling anchor point  (cup/socket), investigate whether or not the QD socket is  "limited rotation/anti-rotation".  You can check this yourself by simply plugging-in a QD sling swivel, and then attempting to rotate it within the QD cup.  It will be easy to determine whether the socket is of unlimited rotation or limited rotation type.   GrovTec makes them, as well as others: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/314136/grovtec-heavy-duty-push-button-sling-swivel-base-non-rotating-steel-black-pack-of-2

There are differing limited/anti-rotation cup/socket designs.  Some allow a varying number degrees of rotation, some lock into various places on the cup.  The GrovTec design allows the ball detent on the QD sling swivel to lock into 4 places within the cup, and so is a little bit more of a fuss to lock-in the sling swivel.  By their nature, limited/anti-rotation cups/receptacles are more expensive to make than similar unlimited rotation cups.

The limited/anti-rotation sockets require some thought regarding installation, so that the sling, when customarily attached to that socket, runs free, and is not affected by a limiting point in the socket preventing the sling from being deployed properly.  IOW, make sure you can turn the QD socket sufficiently, prior to locking it down in final position.  Check this by attaching the sling, and rotating the socket a bit until the sling "hangs" right.  Witness-mark cup and stock.  ONLY then lock the cup into place.

If QD sockets are already installed, and the socket has a bottom to it, then a possible answer is a rubber disc inserted into the base of the socket.  A small circle of rubber-like material will, if just the right thickness, add some resistance to the effort required to turn the sling swivel within the socket.  The thickness and "springiness" of the rubber disc is critical, as is the outer diameter-- use a hole punch.  When experimentation provides the correct thickness disc, use a small dab of adhesive to ensure it does not fall out.  There are anti-rotational QD sockets made, but if yours is/are already installed, then the above is the only answer, even if imperfect, that I know of.  This solution also serves to eliminate the rattle of the QD sling swivel against the QD socket.  Unfortunately, this suggestion soes not solve the problem encountered by QD sling users whose female receptacle has no bottom into which to insert the rubber disc.  If it's a simple, bottomless hole, no joy.

Knowing what I now know, I would strongly advise against buying/using/installing unlimited rotation QD sockets.  Compared to the limited rotation QD socket/cup they can be a PITA.   I expect that now that QD slings are becoming more popular, the mfrs of equipment that use such will make an effort to provide limited rotation sockets/cups on their equipment, and make limited-rotation QD cups more easily available for installers.

Interesting note is that when Col. Cooper specified flush, QD, sling mounts for his prototype Scout rifles, he used the (now-unavailable) Pachmayr sling mounts, which, when installed, were of non-rotating configuration.   The modern-day push-button QD sling swivel/cup is a less-costly to mfr/install design, and in some ways inferior to the old Pachmayr design.
View Quote
@raf

Thank you for all the information.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top