Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2006 6:47:39 PM EDT
OK - I just purchased my first AR and need to get a sling. The majority of my shooting will be action rifle. Can someone reccomend a sling for me? I am cluless about 2 point vs. 3point...

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Kind of depends on just what you'll be doing.  If you have transitions in your COF or need to use your hands a single point would be good.  Some two points can work almost as well if you can slide them to your support side easily.  Three points are also good, but make weak-side shots a little mroe complicated depending on model.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out Specter Gear.  They make some great 3-point slings.  I have the SOP sling and it is very versatile and comfortable.  

Sarge
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:13:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Single-point slings are the "in" thing right now.  Mostly because they're simple and cheap.  They're basically just a loop that goes around your head/shoulders and through a ring at the back of the receiver.  They work well for holding the gun when you switch to the handgun, but not so well if you have to move around a lot with the rifle hanging on the sling because it's free to swing around, bang you in the shins and 'nads, and poke into the ground.  Another drawback is that the attachment point is really close to the charging handle with the potential to get in the way and/or scratch you during quick manipulations.

The 3-point sling is the other type of "tactical" sling.  Since they attach to the rifle at both ends and hold it more level they work better if you're going to have the rifle on the sling for long periods or do a lot of moving with hands off the rifle.  The main drawback is that if adjusted right they're usually too short to let you shoot off the weak-side shoulder, though some models have quick-release buckles built in to allow for that.  Other drawbacks are that they have a strap running along the left side of the rifle that can get in the way of the controls (or the ejection port for a lefty) and are more complicated.  

Some versions of both kinds have buckles that unhook the loop around you so you can get out easily if someone pulls on the rifle or it snags.  Some single-points have attachments that let you unhook the rifle from the sling easily.  You can then hook on a different rifle or just wear the loop.    Neither kind provides any support for shooting.

2-point could mean anything from the simple carry strap that came with it to a loop sling for shooting support to a top-mounted type that isn't too different from a 3-point.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Single-point slings are the "in" thing right now.  Mostly because they're simple and cheap.  They're basically just a loop that goes around your head/shoulders and through a ring at the back of the receiver.  They work well for holding the gun when you switch to the handgun, but not so well if you have to move around a lot with the rifle hanging on the sling because it's free to swing around, bang you in the shins and 'nads, and poke into the ground.  Another drawback is that the attachment point is really close to the charging handle with the potential to get in the way and/or scratch you during quick manipulations.

My single point was as much or more than many 2 and 3 point units.  It is simple, which is why I got it.  It's simple meaning there aren't a lot of parts, there isn't a big hassle to get it on or off of myself and the weapon, and the amount of utility I get out of it is way out of proportion to the number of parts it has.  I got it because I'm in and out of a vehicle a lot.  With a 2 or 3 point unit it will snag on each and every freakin thing within 8' of the rifle.  The 3 feet of strap hanging off will catch things you never even see.  With the single point I can keep the sling on me and detach the rifle in a vehicle.
No release buckles to dick with if I need to shoot weak side.
The ASP positions the rifle where if I drop it to transition, I don't get hit in the nads.  When I need to stow it, the ASP slides right out of the way.  With an M4 I can actually use the back of my upper arm to keep the rifle behind me if I'm really worried about it without slinging the thing all the way in the back.  If my rifle is banging on my shins, I know it is an indicator that I've done something wrong.
I've got a 14.5" bbl, so maybe that's why I don't have issues with it sticking in the mud.  Easy solution there is a muzzle cap if you really have issues with that.
As for the attachment point being a problem, I use the DD ambi plate (at least until TAG comes out with their new unit).  It doesn't have the stupid HK ring, and it doesn't have elepantitis like some others do.  I have had ZERO problems scratching myself or not being able to manipulate the CH or FA.  The new TAG unit will be even lower profile.
For times when I know I'm not going to be in and out of a vehicle or knocking around on foot for a long time, I use a simple GI sling with the top sling adapters like an IDF-type unit.  Very cheap, very simple, and works great.
Three-point units I'm not really in love with.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I recently (don't know why ot took so long) equipped my Remington 870 AND my CAR-15 with Specter's CQB 3-point slings (no ERB), I love the versatility. Wish I had done this years ago.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top