Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 8:34:32 PM EDT
I was thinking of getting a hard case for my AR.  Any input greatly appreciated.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
hard case

Starlight or Pelican Gun Case

Here are a couple links where already discussed.  I have not used a hard case, but my friend has a Pelican and he likes it quite a bit.  Prepare to spend a bit o' $$$ tho....

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:28:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless you want a plastic case, Kalispel.  www.kalispelcaseline.com/

The breakdown 2 shotgun case is perfect for most ARs, 38X15X4.5, I have one powdercoated in black and it is excellent.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#3]
The BEST is Pelican.  I have used them for years for guns and scuba.  They are indestructable and you will hand them down to your grandchildren.  They are quite $$$ though.

Second best is SKB.  While Pelican only makes one grade, SKB makes several varieties.  They are good value for the money and just fine for transport to the range, etc.  For long-distance travel I would go with Pelican.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm kinda partial to DoskoSport's AW Double Scoped Rifles W/Wheels Case.  Water tight, air tight and dust proof, pressue releif valve, etc.  It is a nice competitor to Pelican and SKB cases and is priced VERY nice.  I got mine for $90 out the door.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help!  Do I have to make the cutouts on the foam myself or do they already come that way.  Also, do they custom order cutouts for rifles with scopes, VFG etc etc??
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Does anybody have any experience with the Contico gun cases that Bagmaster is selling?  I see that they have several different types of cases utilizing "structural foam" construction--the same as what Pelican is using.  The question is whether these are cheaper ones comparable to Doksosport or are closer to the Pelican cases.  Any comments greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the help!  Do I have to make the cutouts on the foam myself or do they already come that way.  Also, do they custom order cutouts for rifles with scopes, VFG etc etc??

You'll pretty much want to custom cut to your application. Cut outs are not a "One Size Fits All" scenario.

Tack
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Pelican
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:24:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for Starlight cases.  Check out their website and you may choose them over Pelican.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Starlight!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#11]
My mother & father-in-law got me a Doskosport AW double scoped wheeled rifle case for my b-day. It seems to be a great case. I got new harder foam fo it and it works quite well. It has a rubber o-ring seal and air pressure release valve and is lockable. For the price IMHO it is a very nice case.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#12]
While none of them listed are the "best hard case" out there (I design & sell hard cases, not just buy them), they are fine for your uses.

I'd look at the Starlite or Pelican.  Storm case is fine too.

Avoid the molded plastic cases with the metal closure bands - they are typically thermoformed and like to crack in the corners.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top