Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2005 10:28:04 AM EDT
Found a Sentry 14 rifle safe at Wal Mart today for just under $200.00. Not that cheap sheet metal stuff toolboxes are made from either.  It has a tumbler and internal hinges.  Weighs about 175 lbs I would guess.  Will comfortabley fit my 6 rifles and 3 handguns with their cases (handguns) and ammo.  Very pleased.  It is not fire rated though so maybe that is why it is so inexpensive.  Anybody got one of these?
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had mine for about a year. Seems to work welll and would take some time to get in to. No fire protection material inside though. I open mine daily and has worked well.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 6:11:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I think quite a few people here have them.  I believe they are a great value for the money.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one with the electronic lock and like it quite a bit.  The finish is nice enough, the interior is functional, and the rack system is fairly modular and easily adapted to different arms.  The only fault I have for it is that it is too small for my groing collection.  If you can find/get/afford bigger, do so.

JSR
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#4]
What Walmart are you shopping at?? Haven't seen them at mine and the website has them listed at $389.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 11:39:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Had one, but had to sell it.  Just wasn't quite big enough, especially for scoped ARs or Benelli's with pistol grips.  Otherwise, it was a fine safe (lacking fire protection though.)  If you put it in the garage, you could frame up a couple layers of 5/8" firerock sheetrock around it.....
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I purchased a Sentry safe at Wal-Mart about 3 years ago. I believe mine was about $550. It is their highest fire protection rated safe and has the electronic key pad. It is a great safe and I've been very happy with it. It is advertised as a 14 gun safe. Technically it would be a 14 gun safe if you dont use the shelves. By using the modular shelves you automatically cut into about half of the safe's storage space. I use the shelves and have room for about 6, maybe 7 long guns - 2 of which are scoped. I do not own many long guns and needed the storage space for ammo, small arms, and some of my hunting gear. It was worth money. Have fun getting it home. It weighs a ton. Bring a strong friend to help out.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Normally these are around $300.  Walmart around here carries a $260 10-gun version.

If you got the 14gun for $200, thats a steal.

The 10 gun model is 170lbs, with three or five live locking bolts.  The 14 gun model is 260lbs, with 5 live locking bolts.

Sounds like you might have a 10 gun?  What are your external dimensions?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:17:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I was told at my Walmart when I was looking for one this summer... that gun vaults are a seasonal item.  

I guess they consider them a Christmas item????
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked up the 14 gun in black and digital lock, I love it.
I added some weather stripping around the door and it had a pre drilled and grommet hole on the side for internal lighting. And I mounted some bolts into the cement and in the wall. its pre drilled in the back and the bottom for them, it was nothing a little time with a rented hammer drill could not take care of in about 30min. One day ill get a bigger nicer safe and turn this one into an ammo locker but for now it works great. And a little trip to ace hardware for some fluorescent lights, and allot of thought on how to get it to light up when I open the door, and I got a nice little safe.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:50:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the 14 gun model.  It's a great value for the money.  I would look at the Winchester fire safe that they sell too but it's an electronic key pad.  I just don't trust digital pads to keep out a thief.  Maybe they would....I'm not sure.

In my experience(I'm a cop), I have seen that even a decent safe will keep out most burglars.  Those cheap Stackon "safes" won't keep anyone out.  Most burglars are looking for quick cash and valuables.  They won't take the time to try to break into a decent safe.  Most a high and looking for quick money.  If they break into your house they won't be there for more than a few minutes on average.  

If you are looking for a decent safe but can't spend a lot of money, the Sentry safes are a good value.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have the 14 gun model.  It's a great value for the money.  I would look at the Winchester fire safe that they sell too but it's an electronic key pad.  I just don't trust digital pads to keep out a thief.  Maybe they would....I'm not sure.

In my experience(I'm a cop), I have seen that even a decent safe will keep out most burglars.  Those cheap Stackon "safes" won't keep anyone out.  Most burglars are looking for quick cash and valuables.  They won't take the time to try to break into a decent safe.  Most a high and looking for quick money.  If they break into your house they won't be there for more than a few minutes on average.  

If you are looking for a decent safe but can't spend a lot of money, the Sentry safes are a good value.

I've been on the fence between the sentry models and the more expensive brands.  You make some excellent points that will have me looking at a Sentry for myself pretty soon.

EPOCH
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I tore apart the door on my sentry digital lock safe when I was installing the lighting looking for a good place to install the ground and to find a place to activate the interior lighting, one thing that’s kind of neat is the keypad is on the outside and the circuit board that activates the solenoid is on the inside. And there is no way that I can see to hotwire the lock and if you try it would probably just fry the circuit board trying. I feel like it’s pretty secure but it does have a second way to gain access that’s a good thing and a bad, a hidden key lock. And I like being able to add and delete user codes.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I found myself at Walmart to see what they had, and at what price. Up until now, all of my firearms have been kept in a locked closet, but figured it's only a matter of time before my son learns where I keep the key. I was more interested in security than fire and like most , cost is a factor.

Purchased a Sentry 14 gun, with the electronic lock. Out the door for $378.73. Got it home, and set up, then decided to take some pics for your viewing pleasure.

The interior is a gray carpeting and has an adjustable upper shelf. The barrel rests for long guns slide on to a mounting plate on three sides and have spacers for scoped rifles. The inside of the door is also carpeted, with bungee cord creating a criss-cross. There is also a plastic strip with small hooks, for hanging keys.

Still plenty of room for my growing long gun collection!

Since the shelf is adjustable, it was easy to drop it low enough to hold a couple of pistol cases, Beta C-mag, and other mags.

The door is secured by 5 live locking bolts, and has internal hinges. Bolt down hardware was also included. Exterior dimmensions=59"H x 21"W x 17 3/4"D . Interior dimmensions=57 7/8"H x 19 13/16"W x 12 3/8"D, providing 8.21 cu ft. Weight=302lbs (but I could swear it was more, since I was solo on this).

I am very pleased with this safe. I feel that for the price it couldn't be beat.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:52:21 PM EDT
[#14]
My Walmart had the 14 gun Sentry on closeout for under $200. I ended up buying one of the 24 gun, fire-proof Winchester safes on closeout for $425. For some unknown reason, the Walmart here hides a lot of the outdoor and hunting closeouts outside in the garden department, so I stroll thru and check periodically. That was where the safes were on closeout.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My Walmart had the 14 gun Sentry on closeout for under $200. I ended up buying one of the 24 gun, fire-proof Winchester safes on closeout for $425. For some unknown reason, the Walmart here hides a lot of the outdoor and hunting closeouts outside in the garden department, so I stroll thru and check periodically. That was where the safes were on closeout.

My Walmart also had a Winchester 24 gun, fireproof, but they wanted $575 for it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Does anyone know what to do if the electronic lock fails on a Sentry?  I am interested in the 14 gun fire resistant model.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I think most electronic lock safes will have an override function (key) and a low battery warning.  

Perhaps you could contact Sentry at
Phone (U.S. & Canada)
1-800-828-1438
Monday-Friday 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM ET
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm getting pretty fed up with all of these "My Walmart has cool stuff at close out prices" threads, cuz the 3 Walmarts around me NEVER have those same prices.

$229 for the 10 gun.

$349 for the 14 gun.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have one with the electronic lock and like it quite a bit.  The finish is nice enough, the interior is functional, and the rack system is fairly modular and easily adapted to different arms.  The only fault I have for it is that it is too small for my groing collection.  If you can find/get/afford bigger, do so.

JSR

what the hell are you doing with my initials?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#20]
They had the 10 rifle safe (G2215) here for $100, but the bitch pissed me off so much I walked on it. Another Wally-World has one left (of 4) at $170, but I may hold out for the other Wal-Marts to see if I can't get one under $150. It's a nice safe, but it's not much larger than the POS wood / glass one I already have so it's hard to justify. The elec / combo 14 rifle safe is NICE...they're $300 around here on clearance...but having just dropped $1,700 in AR goodies, I'm a little tapped. What to do...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:53:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks Krackels,
I contacted Sentry and here is their response:

Thank you for your interest in our products. In the event the keypad fails and it’s under the 1 year warranty you will contact Customer Service at 1-800-828-1438. If it’s after the warranty period you can contact a locksmith at your own expense. Parts are not available at the moment since this is a new unit.

Their response was fast though I did not like the fact that there are not replacement parts availlable in the unlikely event of a failure.  I'll shop a while longer.
Dan

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:32:33 AM EDT
[#22]
It's pretty simple - you will get what you pay for.  In quality and customer service.  However - it is pretty customary to require a locksmith in the event of a safe failure, unless everything is covered by some kind of lifetime warranty.  Not sure anyone does that for electronic locks.

In any case, there is a reason the Sentry is a such an outstanding value - issues such as what you posted above.  Of course, you will get better customer service, when you buy a mopre expensive safe, from a local safe dealer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Fal,Did you just drill a hole and screw those hadgun hooks in?What happend to the key rack? just Curious getting one of theese safes soon.Not trying to steel the thread just wonderin
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would ask here.
I made my way to a walmart across town and found this safe.  Click Here.
Also here is the manufacturers site.  Click.

They have three left.  On sale for 599.  The guy at the sporting good said they are the last ones left and will be marked down this thursday or next thursday but he didn't know waht the $$ would be.
Anyone care to take a guess how much WM would knock off of them?
I also considered calling the store manager and asking him if he had any more info on the price and would he be willing to go ahead and mark it down.
Does anyone have this particular safe?  How do you like it?  Is it worth the 599 or should I definately wait to see if I get it cheaper?

One bad thing about it is I was hoping to put it in a walk in clset in my pc room.  It measures a little too wide to fit though.  So I would have to just put it in my bedroom in the corner.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Hells yeah, I scored a 10 gun safe today. What are those dehumidifyers you guys are installing for like $25 from Wal-Mart? I read something about using a small light bulb instead. What have you guys done?

Going to look for some hooks to add to the inside of the door tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Fal,Did you just drill a hole and screw those hadgun hooks in?What happend to the key rack? just Curious getting one of theese safes soon.Not trying to steel the thread just wonderin

Yep - there is a thin sheet metal layer.  I just drilled a small hole and stuck in the garage-organizer pegboard hooks in.  Took some appropriately sized vaccuum hose from the parts store to pad the hooks.  Works great.  I want to do the same thing on my new safe... but I wonder if it will hurt the fireproofing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:37:56 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a 14 gun safe, but I had to buy a bigger one.

Max
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I better start checking the Wallyworlds. . .

no more sharing gunsafes
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#29]
They start clearancing them about Jan. 1 and most follow suit through the month. I check every Sun. because I believe that's when the cycle starts. You can find all local Wally Worlds by zip on their site. I kept track of who had what and wether or not they had clearanced and @ how much in a database so as to save a LOT of time...I was calling 27 of em every Sun. HAHAHA.

They all clearance at a different price and most drop again after a week or so of no sales. I have seen the 10 gun combo for as low as $100 and the 14 gun keypad at $150...yes, 150 fuckin' bucks. Needless to say I missed that one somehow. Their display models are even cheaper.

Employee at my nearest one (you'd be surprised how many friends you'll make dealing with WallyWorld for the month) told me to wait till Christmas and put whichever one I want on lay-a-way. You have 90 days to pay for it. Every time they drop the price on them, your laid-a-way safe plummets in price...sometimes HALF price. All stores but ONE had to clearance due to lack of sales so your odds are pretty damned good.

STORY TIME:

This last Sun. I called the last store on my list...over an hour away. The dude said they had them @ $112 and had 3 left. I kindly asked him to double-check since it was such a long trip and he confirmed. Had them put my name on 2 of em. I grabbed the ol lady and an interested buddy (who wouldn't be?) and off we went. Get there, and they're $184 and dude was on lunch for an hour. (Yea right.) These two other dudes said I was SOL. After politely letting them know what kind of mood I was now in, I went searchin for the ol lady. I changed my mind and decided to take it to CS. They said ol Curtis would be back in an hour so I asked if he was empowered to lower the price. They said no so I asked if I was suppose to stick around so I could kick his ass or what? They called a manager over after telling me there was no on site manager, (Sunday) and we agreed that I would be taking one of these babies home for $112 since I had wasted $30 in gas and he admitted to his mistake, luckily. Only 1 safe though, they wouldn't do the second one at that price. After turning down the second safe they caved and let us have em both...even got three college boys to help cart em off to the parking lot.

...END OF STORY.

I just got done installing a 13" flouresent light, (like it was made for this safe) some 1/4" thick low-density weatherstripping, 4 brushed nickel hooks in the door w/ a little heat shrink tubing, and tweaking / lubing the mechanincs. This is one hell of a nice safe now for total cost of under $160. Even came with 2 large silica gel bags.

WAIT...THERE'S MORE...

...forgot to mention that my buddies manual to the safe, "display model", had blown out of the truck on the trip back. No big deal, he can have mine right? Unfortunately, the combo is on that bitch. I called WallyWorld to see if they had it on a clipboard somewhere since I had seen them get it from there if not stickied to the back of the safe for demo'ing purposes. Needless to say my good ol pals in Sporting Goods didn't call me back. Since we got 2, I got smart and called Sentry the next morning and explained that I had just bought a safe and the combo didn't work...serials don't match between the safe and manual, and they gave me the correct combo over the phone in under a minute. Whew!!! Lucked out...I guess since I had two valid serials (consecutive) and offered to fax proof of purchase, it was no big deal. It convinced me to remove both serials off the exterior of the safe however...scary to think they give in so easily, but I'd have been screwed otherwise. They normally want you to send noterized proof of ownership with a $12 check / m.o. to them via snail mail for a research fee, then they mail you the combo.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Man, finally having a safe is as exciting as getting your own "man room". Now for a house and much larger safe.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#31]
the hard part is trying to get all the crap stuffed in the safe
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:23:36 AM EDT
[#32]
I got mine at Home Depot about 18 months ago. It fits great in my small house.
It has the rotary lock and a separate lock box inside, but this setup is doing it's job.
I'd rather have had the digital key pad and the standard shelf inside.
But, for $345 it does everything I really need it to do.

It is marked with the same fire rating as a buddies $800 redhead / bass pro special.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:20:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Heh, was buying some ammmo at walmart this morning and the sentry 5 gun safes were marked down from $149 to $89.  5 is obviously way to small.  Time to see if any other stores have a 10 or 14 marked down.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I went by WM earlier today and saw the same 5 gun safe Tallbill.  They still have about 4 of the big safes but they aren't marked down yet.  I am hoping they do so soon.  It just seems strange that they didn't even have the smaller safe in the last few eeks but now have thme and they are marked down.  Why can't they just go ahead and mark the big ones down????
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Sometimes the big ones sit in the back for a while. Also, if they want them out of the dept. they'll clearance them and set them up at the front of the store so you'd see them after paying and on the way out the door.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:27:37 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Sometimes the big ones sit in the back for a while. Also, if they want them out of the dept. they'll clearance them and set them up at the front of the store so you'd see them after paying and on the way out the door.

I put one on layaway in hopes it will go on clearence soon.  I can't find anything else locally that even comes close to this price but I want to get it as cheap as possible.  Nothing around here is under 1200.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I put one on layaway in hopes it will go on clearence soon.  I can't find anything else locally that even comes close to this price but I want to get it as cheap as possible.  Nothing around here is under 1200.  

You dont have a SAMS or Academy sports?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the info, I'll have to check out the local Wally World.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

No Academy Sports although there is a new Sports store opening soon and that name sounds familar.
Sams won't take credit cards and I don't have the $$ for it now.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#40]
I have 3 and need a 4th. I have been waiting for them (Wally World ) to put them on clearence. I have a golden rod in each and I bolted them back to back - so I need the 4th to cover the flat steel bar that connects the 3 safes. It is too big to get through the doors of my house and as far as weight no one is gonna carry it anywhere. If you go by rated capacity 3 X14 + 10 gun says I should have room for 52 but its gets pretty crowded to get 14 rifles in one safe. I am more concerned over theft than fire and I figure I will have less than $1m bucks in the whole set up. For me they have been an economical way to get the security I needed and only had to lay out a couple hundred bucks at a time. I have them in the trophy room and I am not sure my wife even knows I have three. Don't ask/Don't tell

Chinook3
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No Academy Sports although there is a new Sports store opening soon and that name sounds familar.
Sams won't take credit cards and I don't have the $$ for it now.  

If you dont have the money, then wait.  Paying interest on something makes it much less of a "good deal".
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

If you dont have the money, then wait.  Paying interest on something makes it much less of a "good deal".

Thanks for the financial tip but I would rather get this on clearance than spend over 1000 on one no matter what.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Who pays interest on clearance?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#44]
got the 14 gun, with accessory hooks / little platic box shelves already on the door . for $248.98 on clearance last year. plus there is nice stash area under the removeable  floor of the unit. no complaints except i wish it would grow as i keep adding , LOL,  but it is pretty flexible as far as being able to accomadate different size weapons
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#45]
I like my 14 gun sentry. Has worked well and gets opened daily.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top