Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2003 6:12:01 AM EDT
I'm taking this from my previous post "Sling for ACE ARFX-E Stock"

I'm sure this is a fairly opinonated debate, but why go with one over the other?  Benefits of each?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#1]
With a 3-point the part of the sling running towards the front can sometimes get in the way of the bolt release and/or snag on things like your gear.  A single point doesn't have this problem.

But...

A single point can swing around a bit more when allowed to hang.

And most 3 points allow you to slide the shoulder strap towards the front for a horizontal 'patrol carry'.  A single point is either in your hands or pointing straight down.  

Since these things usually cost around $30 it's not that expensive to get one of each, try them out, and keep the one that you prefer with your rifle and sell the other one on the equipment exchange.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:17:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had single-points and traditional 3-points, and found flaws with both systems. Basically, the single-point sling offers no muzzle control unless you keep a hand on the front end of the weapon. This can allow the muzzle to go in the dirt if you take a knee, or sweep your feet as the gun hangs vertically. Also allows the gun to bang against you if you're moving. The big downside of a traditional three-point sling is that it doesn't allow off-side cornering in a dynamic environment; you've got to stop to unsling the weapon first.

Recently I've gotten rid of ALL my slings (both single and three-point) and have centralized on the "SOP" sling from [url]http://www.cqbsolutions.com[/url]. I feel this rig provides the best of both worlds while minimizing the negatives.

You can see my reviews of all three sling types here:
[url]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shooter2_indy/argear.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Good info Shooter.  I've been looking at the SOP, but was just wondering about the single point HRT. Great review on your web page, btw.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer the three-point slings. Whenever I let my M4 swing on my single-point sling, I always end up getting nailed in the nuts![nuts]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Have decided on the CQB SOP.  Getting it direct from CQB.  I have to say again, if you have questions about their slings, get with Jeff at CQB.  He has been absolutely awesome!  He helped me configure the exact sling I am going to use.
Had pretty much decided on the SOP, but was curious about what people had to say about the single point.  That being said, Notack has a [b]very[/b] good point! [;D]  Also, with the SOP I don't have that annoying problem of not being to switch sides.
Thanks for all the help guys!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Isn't SOP a 3-point sling? With more features?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 4:39:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Correct.  It has a feature which allows you to flip a latch giving you slack in the sling so you can transfer to your off side without un-slinging the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Both have there pros and cons.  

The single point doesn't cover the bolt release and allows easy switching of shoulders.  But it is not the greatest for long hikes with the rifle, although Force Recon would disagree.

The three point allows more carry options.  The SOP or the new CST (my favorite) allow transitions to the opposite shoulder or going prone.

Just hanging around the range, it dsoesn't much matter, buy the one you like.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#9]
SOP or CST?It looks like the only differ is width.I like the idea of a single point but after trying one on my MP-5 i took it off in favor of the orig tac sling.The single does slap around to much,and all the weight seems to focus at one piont on the shoulder.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
SOP or CST?It looks like the only differ is width....
View Quote

Width and attachment.  

The SOP uses a loop of 1" webbing to allow flexibility and also for the rifle to hang vertically in a 'patrol' carry.  Unfortuantely, when you use the sking in the normal tactical position (butt near your shoulder, muzzle down) the extra 1" webbing allows the buttstock to hang 3-4" away from your chest and flop around when you walk or run.

The CST attaches like the standard 3 point and keeps the buttstock in closer to your chest and allows less movement.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 4:48:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I have this stock and initialy bought a CQB singlepoint.  I did not like how it hung so freely as soon as you moved it banged against you legs and the muzzel flagged you feet.  NOt a good idea if you have a round in the chamber.  I put a CQB Solutions Patrol sling on instead and love it.  I like it much better than any other sling Ive used including several three points.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top