Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 28
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 5:13:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I need more of these. And I need the 3x!

https://i.imgur.com/Tqp5Gq6h.jpg
View Quote

The 3x makes it very versatile. This is a Vortex Micro 3x (QD flip mount).

100 yards using the 3x on my 12.5" shooting PPU 75gr HPBT from a bipod on a bench. It had been zeroed at 100 with Federal Fusion 62gr MSR.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:32:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the green reticle and I leave it on setting 8 in general and it’s an even illumination for me. I’d reach out to PA since it has lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:33:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
On my SLx green cyclops reticle, I noticed on illumination setting 9 or lower, the left portion of the reticle appears much brighter than the right, especially when looking at a lighter colored target. It's almost as if the LED backlight is illuminating only from left. Anyone else getting this? Unfortunately this is already my 2nd SLx, as the illumination was completely non functional on my first unit (PA customer service was great about replacing it). Not suggesting there is a global problem with the illumination, just wondering what other people are experiencing.
View Quote

I have the green reticle and I leave it on setting 8 in general and it’s an even illumination for me. I’d reach out to PA since it has lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#4]
New 1.93 straight riser

Primary Arms Straight Riser
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:08:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Can you use the SLx 1X MicroPrism with ACSS Cyclops Gen 2 Reticle in conjunction with the SLx 3X Micro Magnifier w/ ACSS Pegasus Ranging Reticle? Cyclops + Pegasus? What do the two ranging hashes look like together?

Also I wish these had a unique naming system because whenever you search by some of these names you get the older Gen 1 models, the 2x, 3x etc. Plus there are lots of questions about what accessories are compatible with what?
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:14:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Really like this combo - PA's new 3x Micro Magnifier. My only criticism is the ranging reticle on the magnifier isn't offset to avoid cluttering the optic's BDC. Other than that, very pleased w/ the magnifier & their flip-mount.

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:46:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Really like this combo - PA's new 3x Micro Magnifier. My only criticism is the ranging reticle on the magnifier isn't offset to avoid cluttering the optic's BDC. Other than that, very pleased w/ the magnifier & their flip-mount.

https://i.imgur.com/6ON3OFz.jpg
View Quote

They have a magnifier version without BDC that is made to not conflict with the 1X prism, but it’s on back order.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:16:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They have a magnifier version without BDC that is made to not conflict with the 1X prism, but it's on back order.
View Quote

Good to know, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#9]
That all depends on how good your eyes are. I bought the vortex micro and the PA micro magnifiers and can't get either of them to work together with my 1x micro prism. I know I need glasses so that may be the culprit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know if someone has already asked about this, but is there/will be a see-through mount for fixed-carry handle uppers?

I guess I could use the optic on my old ARMS mount, but I'd like to avoid more stacking if possible.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/6ON3OFz.jpg
View Quote

Should mount that magnifier lower. Looks pretty high compared to the prism and why your ranging marks are showing up in your reticle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 1:05:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
On my SLx green cyclops reticle, I noticed on illumination setting 9 or lower, the left portion of the reticle appears much brighter than the right, especially when looking at a lighter colored target. It's almost as if the LED backlight is illuminating only from left. Anyone else getting this?
View Quote
I see the same on my red version.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 1:21:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 12:35:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Should mount that magnifier lower. Looks pretty high compared to the prism and why your ranging marks are showing up in your reticle.
View Quote

Can't mount the magnifier lower & don't want to mount the prism higher. Their Micro Magnifier that doesn't have the ranging marks arrives Tuesday, problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:47:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Any reports of failures?
Round counts?
I don't get to shoot mine as much as I'd like. The one on my ks-7 shotgun had held up under recoil.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:43:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Has anybody had a problem with the shake-awake feature working intermittently? After a few months of limited use, I noticed that sometimes, not often, the reticle would not light when I picked up the rifle. It is typically left on 7, 8 or 9 setting. It is not between settings. Moving the rifle around a bit or inverting it would bring it to life. I have 2 other rifles with them mounted and have had no problems. I replaced the battery. It did not seem to matter sometimes if I rotated the illumination dial, it still took exaggerated movement to wake it up. One time, I was holding it and when I brought it up to my eye, it was off.  95% of the time it operates perfectly but every so often this shake-awake feature screws up.
I call PA and they sent me an RMA number and said to ship it back for warranty repair, said it would take a couple weeks.

I was a bit disappointed that I have to pay shipping for this warranty repair because it is beyond the 90-day customer satisfaction window. I guess I expected more from PA.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:33:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
One of the included factory risers is see through and works for this purpose if I recall correctly.  the bolt and washer spacer shown are a side purchase of you want them.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/edit_IMG_7395-2020812.jpg
View Quote

@MRW

What bolt and spacer did you use and where did you get them?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 5:30:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Has anybody had a problem with the shake-awake feature working intermittently? After a few months of limited use, I noticed that sometimes, not often, the reticle would not light when I picked up the rifle. It is typically left on 7, 8 or 9 setting. It is not between settings. Moving the rifle around a bit or inverting it would bring it to life. I have 2 other rifles with them mounted and have had no problems. I replaced the battery. It did not seem to matter sometimes if I rotated the illumination dial, it still took exaggerated movement to wake it up. One time, I was holding it and when I brought it up to my eye, it was off.  95% of the time it operates perfectly but every so often this shake-awake feature screws up.
I call PA and they sent me an RMA number and said to ship it back for warranty repair, said it would take a couple weeks.

I was a bit disappointed that I have to pay shipping for this warranty repair because it is beyond the 90-day customer satisfaction window. I guess I expected more from PA.
View Quote

Mine does not nor has not ever auto-on when I lift up the optic or while its on a rifle. It has however always shake-awaken with a very light or gentle tap on the rifle or optic. Most of the time, I grab the rifle with enough force that it turns the optic on.  (I tested this several times for a couple of weeks before and after I mounted it to my host, just so I knew what to expect when shouldering)

I honestly thought this was by design. Reminds me of my Truglo, Holosun 530 and Sig OPMOD RDSs I used to own which required a gentile tap to wake it up. MOTAC vs Shake-awake vs AutoLive .. they all seem to behave the same to me
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 6:50:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Primary Arms sells them.  Call up and ask them for the carry handle hardware
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Just did some steel banging with my AR 9mm pistol and 1x prism. Great little optic. Super bright reticle even though it was off most of the time. Only fired it up once the clouds and sun started going down and the targets lost their white paint. Was only on half power.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#22]
If someone has already asked this and been answered, I apologize, but how does the 1x do for passing aiming under nods?
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If someone has already asked this and been answered, I apologize, but how does the 1x do for passing aiming under nods?
View Quote

Here's a two part review with NODs that was posted in another thread.

Night Vision: Primary Arms Micro Prism vs Sig Romeo 4T with Unity Tactical FAST Mount

Update: Night Vision Comparison Primary Arms ACSS Cyclops Gen 2 and Sig Sauer Romeo4T
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsWYfVubcfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUYyPHUvM8c
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsWYfVubcfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUYyPHUvM8c
So seems like you think its pretty viable optic for passive NVG usage?  I got a Sig Romeo red dot on my AK and really don't care for it.  Was thinking about the Prism but wasn't sure if passive shooting was possible.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
I discuss NODs in my review

Link Posted: 3/8/2022 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So seems like you think its pretty viable optic for passive NVG usage?  I got a Sig Romeo red dot on my AK and really don't care for it.  Was thinking about the Prism but wasn't sure if passive shooting was possible.
View Quote

The Romeo 5 sucks due to the lens coatings, as does the HS503G-ACSS (variable here, some guys say theirs is great = coating variance?) as does the UH-1 any Gen. This SLX is awesome - if you can detect any light transmission degradation - you have better eyes than a Sionyx Aurora Pro Looks identical through BNVD-SGs w/Elbit SLH WP tubes.

Link Posted: 3/8/2022 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The Romeo 5 sucks due to the lens coatings, as does the HS503G-ACSS (variable here, some guys say theirs is great = coating variance?) as does the UH-1 any Gen. This SLX is awesome - if you can detect any light transmission degradation - you have better eyes than a Sionyx Aurora Pro Looks identical through BNVD-SGs w/Elbit SLH WP tubes.

https://i.imgur.com/Ov3GjmU.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/Ov3GjmU.jpg
Yeah that looks great
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Not sure if these details have been posted, but regarding the MI mini acog mount (MI-QDTAM)...

If you want to use that mount with the straight spacer that comes with the optic, it will give a 1.9" height over rail.  You'll need to get a couple of screws though.  The screws are 10-32 thread and optimal length is about 0.85" for max thread engagement.  I grabbed a couple grade 8 screws locally that were 1" long and then cut them off to 0.85".  The other common length that is close is 0.75" but IMHO that doesn't give enough thread engagement.

I haven't messed with optic heights above 'lower 1/3' before but I'm liking these at 1.9" height.  PA now sells a straight spacer that gives 1.93" height and I may get a couple of those but for a QD setup this MI mount works out well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone else with astigmatism see a smeared chevron when the illumination is on?

I messed with one in the store a few weeks ago and while the etched reticle was sharp with the illumination off, it smeared when turning it on. FWIW, I didn't have to crank it all the way up to get the smearing, I could see it at lower settings, but higher brightness settings did make it worse.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Does anyone else with astigmatism see a smeared chevron when the illumination is on?

I messed with one in the store a few weeks ago and while the etched reticle was sharp with the illumination off, it smeared when turning it on. FWIW, I didn't have to crank it all the way up to get the smearing, I could see it at lower settings, but higher brightness settings did make it worse.
View Quote

Mine is bright enough to trigger astigmatism. Luckily the point at which it happens is above the brightness I need. I’m outside daylight it doesn’t happen at all, where it did with red dots at any useable brightness.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#31]
@MonolithicRP
Thanks for the info on the MI QD setup. The screw info very helpful.

Had been looking for a QD mount, plus a tad taller.

Not a huge fan of the cantilever spacers that PA includes. Makes it harder to raise the optic up and still add a magnifier.

@549
I haven't noticed much of any blooming with my astigmatism. Compared it to a Sig red dot, which blooms like a fireworks for me.

Do agree the focus on the unlit chevron is a tad easier. However I'm super thankful for the prism setup. Much better for my eyes.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Not sure if these details have been posted, but regarding the MI mini acog mount (MI-QDTAM)...

If you want to use that mount with the straight spacer that comes with the optic, it will give a 1.9" height over rail.  You'll need to get a couple of screws though.  The screws are 10-32 thread and optimal length is about 0.85" for max thread engagement.  I grabbed a couple grade 8 screws locally that were 1" long and then cut them off to 0.85".  The other common length that is close is 0.75" but IMHO that doesn't give enough thread engagement.

I haven't messed with optic heights above 'lower 1/3' before but I'm liking these at 1.9" height.  PA now sells a straight spacer that gives 1.93" height and I may get a couple of those but for a QD setup this MI mount works out well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/409179/2022-03-10_16_28_58_jpg-2309334.JPG
View Quote

Just ordered the spacer.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm looking into this as my astigmatism is causing issues. I can see my Romeo and AImpoint fine at 1x but when magnified they turn into a distracting blob. I really would like magnification but I also want a true 1x. After looking at LPVOs and deciding they weren't for me I'm now looking into a 1x prism with a magnifier. I'm assuming you adjust the diopter on the prism first, then on the magnifier to get them matched? After that there shouldn't be any need to make further adjustments rights? Are there any particular magnifiers that work especially well with this or would any work? I'm looking towards the Juliet 4 for the extra magnification, but I might consider something shorter/smaller or with superior eye relief. How would backup irons work with this? I'm assuming a quick detach would be the best bet. To be honest, I would feel better spending extra on a GLx or especially a PLx with top of the line glass. Considering they discontinued the ACSS ACOGs and introduced a GLx prism I'm sure more will come down the line, but I'm impatient and would prefer to get something now.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Prism with magnifier still very dependant on how well your eyes work with them. I tried them out as others said they were able to make it work. Doesn't work for me. I adjusted the diopter on the prism first, mostly turned in, then flipped the magnifier and started adjusting it. Not enough diopter adjustment out to make the reticle clear. I can adjust the prism out enough to be clear through the magnifier, but then the prism reticle is just a shadow of itself and not very crisp viewed without magnification. Only one way to find out is to try it yourself.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
New 1.93 straight riser

Primary Arms Straight Riser
View Quote

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  I just got mine delivered yesterday...
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 3:40:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Primary Arms sells them.  Call up and ask them for the carry handle hardware

Thanks!

Ditto!

ETA: Went to a dealer silencer shoot last week and a lot of the demo guns had this optic. That experience convinced me to pick one up.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Mine is bright enough to trigger astigmatism. Luckily the point at which it happens is above the brightness I need. I’m outside daylight it doesn’t happen at all, where it did with red dots at any useable brightness.
View Quote

Quoted:

@549
I haven't noticed much of any blooming with my astigmatism. Compared it to a Sig red dot, which blooms like a fireworks for me.

Do agree the focus on the unlit chevron is a tad easier. However I'm super thankful for the prism setup. Much better for my eyes.
View Quote

Thanks. Just was curious if it was just me or if I'd picked up a bad one.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes I have the same issue. However its weird that I dont have that issue with a acog 4x lol.

For me I use the prism as a red dot with an etched reticle. However when paired with a Holosun 3x, I don’t have that issue any more. In fact, it really brings out the capabilitiy of the reticle design.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yes I have the same issue. However its weird that I dont have that issue with a acog 4x lol.

For me I use the prism as a red dot with an etched reticle. However when paired with a Holosun 3x, I don’t have that issue any more. In fact, it really brings out the capabilitiy of the reticle design.
View Quote

All ACOG reticles are sharp and clear for me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:41:14 AM EDT
[#40]
I’ve long theorized astigmatism problems are an electric light thing. Most don’t know that lights whether fluorescent or LED aren’t actually always on. They pulse, it’s just faster than the eye can see. The longer the pulse width, the longer the battery life, but also the worse it is for astigmatism. The shorter the length between pulses, the better the reticle appears but the lower the battery life.

For instance an original Vortex Spark looked like a red sticker on the lens it was so clear, but had horrible battery life. With the Gen 2 they modified the pulse width to extend battery life and now they’re just like an Aimpoint to me (terrible).

ACOG’s don’t have that problem since they operate off of ambient light which is continuous since it’s not directly reflected to the eye, or provided by the sun or tritium which does not pulse.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 1:47:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I’ve long theorized astigmatism problems are an electric light thing. Most don’t know that lights whether fluorescent or LED aren’t actually always on. They pulse, it’s just faster than the eye can see. The longer the pulse width, the longer the battery life, but also the worse it is for astigmatism. The shorter the length between pulses, the better the reticle appears but the lower the battery life.

For instance an original Vortex Spark looked like a red sticker on the lens it was so clear, but had horrible battery life. With the Gen 2 they modified the pulse width to extend battery life and now they’re just like an Aimpoint to me (terrible).

ACOG’s don’t have that problem since they operate off of ambient light which is continuous since it’s not directly reflected to the eye, or provided by the sun or tritium which does not pulse.
View Quote

Makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#42]
But then the acog dosen't have an adjustable diopter for those of us with less than perfect vision.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#43]
A couple weeks ago i posted that I was sending one of mine back to PA under warranty because Shake-awake had stopped working correctly and was intermittent. PA just notified me that it was not repairable and that they were sending me a new replacement.

Good job, PA.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm looking into this as my astigmatism is causing issues. I can see my Romeo and AImpoint fine at 1x but when magnified they turn into a distracting blob. I really would like magnification but I also want a true 1x. After looking at LPVOs and deciding they weren't for me I'm now looking into a 1x prism with a magnifier. I'm assuming you adjust the diopter on the prism first, then on the magnifier to get them matched? After that there shouldn't be any need to make further adjustments rights? Are there any particular magnifiers that work especially well with this or would any work? I'm looking towards the Juliet 4 for the extra magnification, but I might consider something shorter/smaller or with superior eye relief. How would backup irons work with this? I'm assuming a quick detach would be the best bet. To be honest, I would feel better spending extra on a GLx or especially a PLx with top of the line glass. Considering they discontinued the ACSS ACOGs and introduced a GLx prism I'm sure more will come down the line, but I'm impatient and would prefer to get something now.
View Quote

Everyone's eyes are different. I have no astigmatism bloom when my eyes are fresh in the morning. Likewise the focus on this and other optics changes a little when my eyes are fresh vs tired. YMMV

Beyond that, the ability/need to focus has pros and cons. You can dial it in to match your eyes, but family members may not be able to pick it up and use it without readjusting it.

The Holosun magnifier has the best eye relief, but the mount is not the greatest.

Back up irons don't co-witness with prisms or magnifiers.

GLX2X is the best prism I've tried so far. Might not be enough magnification for your liking though. And it's better suited to shorter applications where sights, lights, etc aren't in your field of view because they don't ghost at 2X and look weird magnified.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Everyone's eyes are different. I have no astigmatism bloom when my eyes are fresh in the morning. Likewise the focus on this and other optics changes a little when my eyes are fresh vs tired. YMMV

Beyond that, the ability/need to focus has pros and cons. You can dial it in to match your eyes, but family members may not be able to pick it up and use it without readjusting it.

The Holosun magnifier has the best eye relief, but the mount is not the greatest.

GLX2X is the best prism I've tried so far. Might not be enough magnification for your liking though. And it's better suited to shorter applications where sights, lights, etc aren't in your field of view because they don't ghost at 2X and look weird magnified.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man I agree with that.  Though I am still playing with and adjusting to the new 3X micro,  the GLx2 fit's the bill nicely close up and mid long range.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Just got my 1x Prism today.  Was looking through it.  Glass seems pretty darn clear.  The etched reticle is pretty good.  The illumination seems to be daylight bright.  Looked outside into a bright backyard and it was gtg.
Only concern is that chevron is still somewhat small and trying to figure out if you are at the which bottom portion of the chevron might be a bit confusing if using for BDC.

I have to look at it under nods to see if it works for me.  Crossing fingers.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
But then the acog dosen't have an adjustable diopter for those of us with less than perfect vision.
View Quote

Ain't that the truth.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Just quick question on the zero.   The screenshots on the product pages says that for a 16" barrel to zero at 100yds vs a 50/200 zero.  Did you guys with 16" guns zero at 100 or 50?
Gotta test it out under NVG too.

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quick comparison of the Aimpoint T2, Eotech EXPS 3.0 and the Primary Arms 1x Micro Prism.
So it seems like for the PA Prism, you either adjust your nvg focus or the optic focus?  Is there any other "solution"?  The adjustment different between whats correct for daytime shooting is way different from night shooting.
The concern would always be if you were adjusted for night shooting and then had to go to white light and then the reticle would be oof and be a pita to get back to focus again.

Night Vision Optics Testing

Link Posted: 3/17/2022 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quick comparison of the Aimpoint T2, Eotech EXPS 3.0 and the Primary Arms 1x Micro Prism.
So it seems like for the PA Prism, you either adjust your nvg focus or the optic focus?  Is there any other "solution"?  The adjustment different between whats correct for daytime shooting is way different from night shooting.
The concern would always be if you were adjusted for night shooting and then had to go to white light and then the reticle would be oof and be a pita to get back to focus again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxuFn6jPCKw
View Quote

That pic I posted for you, was the PA Reticle, adjusted to the naked eye, and the NODs adjusted to infinity focus. You *shouldn't* need them to differ - but eyes can be weird AF for some people. I will say, that the diopter on the PA 1x's seems to have a huge range where the reticle looks good - but you can keep cranking and it still looks good. So unfortunately, you have to fiddle around for a while with all your "stuff" (Eye, Magnifiers, NODs) to get it right. I found one of those rubber jar opener pads to be a blessing with the small, tight, diopter lens.
Page / 28
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top