Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because there are only two aimpoint optics that cost that much and they are both giant compared to other dots. If you want a micro from aimpoint you are into the 700+ range.
View Quote

Yep. The PRO and ACO are antiquated, huge, and heavy for what they are.

If Aimpoint ever came out with a streamlined 1x like the Cyclops in the < $500 range, I'd be all over it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Because there are only two aimpoint optics that cost that much and they are both giant compared to other dots. If you want a micro from aimpoint you are into the 700+ range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do people buy $200 red dots from China when you can get an Aimpoint for $350-$400?

Nonsense. I got a lightly used H1 in the EE for $360.

But I agree, those optics are old, large and clunky. Just keep an eye on the EE for a used H1/2 model.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

But I agree, those optics are old, large and clunky. Just keep an eye on the EE for a used H1/2 model.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do people buy $200 red dots from China when you can get an Aimpoint for $350-$400?

Easier to talk new prices for comparisons. Mostly I see PROs in that price range, and as I've been watching for another optic to pop up the last couple weeks the Aimpoint micros I've seen are over $500 used still.

Those kinds of deals like you got are snapped up within minutes or seconds. And used non-Aimpoint optics are priced lower accordingly anyway.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

However you want to validate your choices is fine, but size would be secondary to capability for me.

Quoted:
Yep. The PRO and ACO are antiquated, huge, and heavy for what they are.

If Aimpoint ever came out with a streamlined 1x like the Cyclops in the < $500 range, I'd be all over it.

The Cyclops and Pro weigh the same, and are an inch difference in length.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:08:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

However you want to validate your choices is fine, but but size would be secondary to capability for me.

The Cyclops and Pro weigh the same, and are an inch difference in length.
View Quote

With their provided mounts, the Pro is 2 oz heavier than the Cyclops, and the Cyclops is a Prism sight which are generally heavier than reflex sights. No idea what they weigh naked.

And an extra inch is substantial when discussing items this size.

No batteries required with the Cylops either.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:43:22 AM EDT
[#6]
and even on their micros I suspect aimpoint is using "old tech".

I haven't owned but have gotten to borrow and shoot a T1 and a H1....I have mediocre eyesight and they both "flared" just a shade.

My Holosun....perfect round circle.....Different coatings?  Processes?   But the 2MOA Aimpoints look like a 5 moa cluster of grapes while the holosuns crystal sharp 2moa dot.

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In Range has you covered
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DkALBk7bd8
View Quote

Watched that the day it came out.  When he was talking over the specs I was already out.  WEight, battery life, price.  Nah I'm good.  Then the lens fell out and all I could do is chuckle and think that Leupold managed to advance their red dot tech to about what the Chinese were 10 years ago
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  Yep. The PRO and ACO are antiquated, huge, and heavy for what they are.
View Quote

Then again, mine is at least ten years old, maybe more, and works as well today as it did on day one.  

The robustness and long-term reliability of these sights are attributes not constraints.  The weight contributes to the robustness.  The simplicity of the design contributes to reliability.

All these years later, my Aimpoint is still working, whereas my 3 EOTechs are now all dead.  Which is the better value?  To which would you trust your life?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Then again, mine is at least ten years old, maybe more, and works as well today as it did on day one.  

The robustness and long-term reliability of these sights are attributes not constraints.  The weight contributes to the robustness.  The simplicity of the design contributes to reliability.

All these years later, my Aimpoint is still working, whereas my 3 EOTechs are now all dead.  Which is the better value?  To which would you trust your life?
View Quote

I'm certainly not questioning their durability and reliability. They're solid as they come.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:42:37 AM EDT
[#10]
That video of the Leupold Freedom sight is embarrassing for Leupold.  The lens just plops out and lands on the rail and stays there.  Very odd.

Do you think that was an unfortunate anomaly or is it indicative of a quality problem at Leupold, or...?

My morbid side wants to order one to see if it fails.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay, so I bought a Leupold Freedom.  

I'm inspecting the rear lens.  There is only an adhesive bond holding that last lens to the optic.  There is no retaining ring, threaded or otherwise.  You can see thru the lens and see the bondline around the full periphery of the lens.  

There are significant voids in the bondline.  I would guesstimate about 20% of the bondline area is voids.  

The voids are very non-uniform.  In places the bond is perfect.  In other places, the lens barely bonded at all, almost unbonded.  

I don't see how this claim could be true, "100% Waterproof, fogproof, and shockproof."

I am not happy with what I am seeing on this lens.  Combined with that video, to me this looks to be a serious, recurring product quality issue.  

It's so easy to see.  It is so easy to fix/avoid.  What a disappointment.

Other than that, the sight and base looks great.  

What do you think, send it in for repair or get a refund?
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Okay, so I bought a Leupold Freedom.  

I'm inspecting the rear lens.  There is only an adhesive bond holding that last lens to the optic.  There is no retaining ring, threaded or otherwise.  You can see thru the lens and see the bondline around the full periphery of the lens.  

There are significant voids in the bondline.  I would guesstimate about 20% of the bondline area is voids.  

The voids are very non-uniform.  In places the bond is perfect.  In other places, the lens barely bonded at all, almost unbonded.  

I don't see how this claim could be true, "100% Waterproof, fogproof, and shockproof."

I am not happy with what I am seeing on this lens.  Combined with that video, to me this looks to be a serious, recurring product quality issue.  

It's so easy to see.  It is so easy to fix/avoid.  What a disappointment.

Other than that, the sight and base looks great.  

What do you think, send it in for repair or get a refund?
View Quote

I'd get a refund.

Sadly made in the USA doesn't make the quality good. Remember that promags are made in the USA and total pieces of crap. Or even reputable companies shit out a lemon product line every so often.

Ford Pinto anyone?
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Amazon makes returns super-easy, too.  I drop it off at a shop on my way to work - no packaging needed, just a 5 minute detour and done.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I found the SPOT mentioned on the first page. It appears that it is still made in Korea but I cannot confirm. You can also find it on Amazon.

https://www.mountsplus.com/spot-scope-compact-pro-red-dot-sight.html
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:43:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I had high hopes for it but I am sending the Leupold back for a refund.

I've looked over a lot of sights from this thread and several others.

I just ordered an Aimpoint PRO.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm really thinking of going MRO for a 10.5" 223 pistol I'm putting together.  I want it to be high quality and that I'd trust my life with.  Trying to avoid China anything that I can.

Looks like in the $300-500 range the MRO is the best bet.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm really thinking of going MRO for a 10.5" 223 pistol I'm putting together.  I want it to be high quality and that I'd trust my life with.  Trying to avoid China anything that I can.

Looks like in the $300-500 range the MRO is the best bet.
View Quote

I think the MRO is the best bang for your buck currently. I was a huge T2 fan but sold them all and now have MRO green dots on three of my setups.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I had high hopes for it but I am sending the Leupold back for a refund.

I've looked over a lot of sights from this thread and several others.

I just ordered an Aimpoint PRO.
View Quote

I’m a big Leupold fan and have a few of their scopes, but after watching that video and other reports you made the right choice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think the MRO is the best bang for your buck currently. I was a huge T2 fan but sold them all and now have MRO green dots on three of my setups.
View Quote
T2s are better than MROs for lack of parallax and usage with a magnifier.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By theHULK9281:

I think the MRO is the best bang for your buck currently. I was a huge T2 fan but sold them all and now have MRO green dots on three of my setups.
View Quote

Ordered the MRO last night now I just need to work on getting this pistol built in the next week or so before it shows up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MandPdude:
Vortex UH1.  It's a holographic sight, but it's made in the states.  Can be found used for right around $350.
View Quote

Yep made in the USA
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By GrantS:

Because you’re quoting new Chinese red dot vs used Aimpoint prices.   Micro vs micro.  Can’t really compare a big Aimpoint to a Micro Chinese. 

Make both used and it’s $100.  I’ve bought 3 lnib holosuns for $100 apiece.   Aimpoint h1s are 4x that. 

That said. I like my DI optical red dot. South Korean and seems durable. Picked it up for $150 lnib. 

I personally am opposed to bushnell.  Their stuff seems mediocre and they can’t keep their lines in one configuration more than a year or two. 

The Nikon Pdot is a decent choice. As is the leupold freedom dot. 

A NOTE:  vortex and many others have stated. Chinese stuff is everywhere. Even in other nations.  Even many other optics made in Japan, phillipines,etc use Chinese components assembled their.  Like the leupold freedoms?  Assembled in US with components sourced from Asia......wanna bet where?  If it was Japan or phillipines try would have said so.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GrantS:
Originally Posted By olds442tyguy:
Why do people buy $200 red dots from China when you can get an Aimpoint for $350-$400?

Because you’re quoting new Chinese red dot vs used Aimpoint prices.   Micro vs micro.  Can’t really compare a big Aimpoint to a Micro Chinese. 

Make both used and it’s $100.  I’ve bought 3 lnib holosuns for $100 apiece.   Aimpoint h1s are 4x that. 

That said. I like my DI optical red dot. South Korean and seems durable. Picked it up for $150 lnib. 

I personally am opposed to bushnell.  Their stuff seems mediocre and they can’t keep their lines in one configuration more than a year or two. 

The Nikon Pdot is a decent choice. As is the leupold freedom dot. 

A NOTE:  vortex and many others have stated. Chinese stuff is everywhere. Even in other nations.  Even many other optics made in Japan, phillipines,etc use Chinese components assembled their.  Like the leupold freedoms?  Assembled in US with components sourced from Asia......wanna bet where?  If it was Japan or phillipines try would have said so.  

That's the problem in all of American sold products...components sourced in Communist China.

Especially our medicine...
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Ordered a Sig Romeo 4h for $250, Assembled in the USA, close enough?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Used MRO
Used AP PRO or ACO.

That's about all that comes to mind. Can't really think of a Romeo/Holo equivalents
View Quote
This ^ check the EE often. I have bought an Aimpoint ACO and Meprolight tru dot for $200 each. An rmr and mro for $300 each. I also regularly see the trijicon reflex and meprolight m21 in the mid 200's.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:19:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:
Ordered a Sig Romeo 4h for $250, Assembled in the USA, close enough?
View Quote

Great quality red dot, for the money can’t be beat!
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:05:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

I just stumbled across this in the last day as I was looking around for a replacement red dot.  

Leupold Freedom, $279 (including mount), made in USA

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81tT7cWl9GL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
View Quote

looks like it was released 20 years ago
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Castillo:

looks like it was released 20 years ago
View Quote

20 years ago, From China
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#28]

-1000 Hour Battery life for a 1 MOA red dot is out-dated and archaic. 
-Might work for home defense, but Auto shutoff/auto on won't matter if it's on a truck gun. It mind as well be always on.

If I'm going to drop money on something that is worth 70% of an Aimpoint Pro, you bet I want modernized and innovative features such as a battery life over 10,000+ hours at least. If it can't compete with a 20 year old Comp M2's specs, I don't want it.

View Quote

Very much agree.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By swampvol:

Huh... Arent Sigs just rebranded Holosuns? I wonder if these are actually Holosun plants?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DarkLordOfOptics:
I checked with Sig on where their different red dot sights are assembled and here is the list:

ROMEOZero- USA
ROMEO1Pro- Philippines
ROMEO1- Philippines
ROMEO3- Japan
ROMEO3MAX- Japan
ROMEO3XL- Japan
ROMEO4- USA
ROMEO5- China
ROMEO7- China
ROMEOMsr- China
ROMEO8- USA

ILya

Huh... Arent Sigs just rebranded Holosuns? I wonder if these are actually Holosun plants?

With Sig you need to understand some of the product lines cover several variations at different price points with different sources. Example  Romeo 4 series currently has DR, H, S,M & T with A & B  ( China) being obsolete and out of production...
The Romeo 4M , 4T & 8T all have government contracts and meet the over 51% US part content rules for being a US domestic product and are assembled in the USA and they also carry the IPX 8 rating for waterproofing...
I have 3 Romeo 4M's as offsets om my MPX's with around 25K ea on them zero problems, moved away from UH-1's to Romeo 8T's as primary optics  a couple of mouths ago on my MPX's so only have around 6K on them so far. Have 2 4T's as offsets on my SR15 Mod1's and an additional 4M as a primary on a difrent AR... the  Romeo 4M , 4T & 8T are a great value and I rate their quality as equal to Aimpoint and Trijicon.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 2011BLDR:

With Sig you need to understand some of the product lines cover several variations at different price points with different sources. Example  Romeo 4 series currently has DR, H, S,M & T with A & B  ( China) being obsolete and out of production... 
The Romeo 4M , 4T & 8T all have government contracts and meet the over 51% US part content rules for being a US domestic product and are assembled in the USA and they also carry the IPX 8 rating for waterproofing...
 I have 3 Romeo 4M's as offsets om my MPX's with around 25K ea on them zero problems, moved away from UH-1's to Romeo 8T's as primary optics  a couple of mouths ago on my MPX's so only have around 6K on them so far. Have 2 4T's as offsets on my SR15 Mod1's and an additional 4M as a primary on a difrent AR... the  Romeo 4M , 4T & 8T are a great value and I rate their quality as equal to Aimpoint and Trijicon.
View Quote

At least SIG makes it easy to follow their product lines...
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Rhinowso96:

At least SIG makes it easy to follow their product lines... 
View Quote

To their credit, they've been cleaning up the reflex sights, at least. Everything in the current Romeo 0, 4, 6 (RIP), and 8 lines are assembled in the USA. The 5 and 7 lines are made in China. The 1 line is made in the Phillipines. Not sure about the 3.

I think the problem they're gonna run into is when they need to refresh the Tango and Whiskey scopes to raise the erector ratios. If they bump the existing Tango4 line to 6x, what are they going to name it? Tango6[letter to be determined]?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Not so sure the Romeo 4M is assembled in the USA.

Romeo4T and 4H are assembled in the USA.  

And I wonder how much 'assembly' is really happening in the USA, I mean is screwing in the mount and installing a battery 'assembling...?'.

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By erwos:

To their credit, they've been cleaning up the reflex sights, at least. Everything in the current Romeo 0, 4, 6 (RIP), and 8 lines are assembled in the USA. The 5 and 7 lines are made in China. The 1 line is made in the Phillipines. Not sure about the 3.

I think the problem they're gonna run into is when they need to refresh the Tango and Whiskey scopes to raise the erector ratios. If they bump the existing Tango4 line to 6x, what are they going to name it? Tango6[letter to be determined]?
View Quote

Romeo3 is from Japan.

ILya
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By theHULK9281:

I’m a big Leupold fan and have a few of their scopes, but after watching that video and other reports you made the right choice.
View Quote

As time goes on I am becoming significantly less enamored of Leupold products.

They need to get their shit together.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
As time goes on I am becoming significantly less enamored of Leupold products.

They need to get their shit together.
View Quote

Indeed, they do.  The NRA selected that red dot as their "Optic of the Year" for 2020.  You know, the one whose lenses fall out.  <-- SAD!
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I think Leupold lost all their tactical folks to SIG when they opened their optics division in Oregon.  Too bad SIG has just been throwing products at the market without much data on what they are, where they are made and then they are dropped without fanfare, already having been replaced by a similarly named item with a different letter at the end.  I think the model lifespan is <2 years on average before the next latest and greatest is out.

And color me skeptical that 'assembly in the USA' is really meaningful, considering the whole Romeo4 lineup looks generally the same.  I know that lots of components are imported for optics manufacturers, but when 2 products are generally functionally identical except for a paint job or do-dad, it leads me to believe only the minimal requirement to say 'it's assembled in the USA' is occurring, but its essentially still made in China (in the case of the Romeo4).

Maybe I'm wrong, but there is little evidence to the contrary.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Not so sure the Romeo 4M is assembled in the USA
View Quote

The M is discontinued. Some of them were made in the USA, others were made in China. I chose my words carefully when I stated "their current lines".

Also, when you guys are calling Sig liars, I kinda think the burden of proof is on you, not Sig. :)
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By erwos:

The M is discontinued. Some of them were made in the USA, others were made in China. I chose my words carefully when I stated "their current lines".

Also, when you guys are calling Sig liars, I kinda think the burden of proof is on you, not Sig. :)
View Quote

I don't think I called them liar, but would be interested in knowing what 'assembled in the USA' entails.  

I take them at their word, but assembly could mean many things - from very involved to component assembly to things you could pay someone minimum wage to do, like attach mounts, put things in the retail boxes, etc.  And it's just scar tissue from the years of the on again, off again SIGTAC branded Chinese junk.  Fool me once, fool me twice kinda thing.  

For the record I have a Romeo 5 on a 9MM AR-SBR and it's been fine as a range toy.  Bought it more out of interest to beat on and because Brownells had them on sale for @$100 with their "Forever Warranty".
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#39]
I think Leupold lost all their tactical folks to SIG when they opened their optics division in Oregon.  Too bad SIG has just been throwing products at the market without much data on what they are, where they are made and then they are dropped without fanfare, already having been replaced by a similarly named item with a different letter at the end.  I think the model lifespan is <2 years on average before the next latest and greatest is out. 

And color me skeptical that 'assembly in the USA' is really meaningful, considering the whole Romeo4 lineup looks generally the same.  I know that lots of components are imported for optics manufacturers, but when 2 products are generally functionally identical except for a paint job or do-dad, it leads me to believe only the minimal requirement to say 'it's assembled in the USA' is occurring, but its essentially still made in China (in the case of the Romeo4).

Maybe I'm wrong, but there is little evidence to the contrary.
View Quote

I don't have a Romeo 5, but compared to my Holosuns the Romeo4 seems like much better quality. It seems more solid, better finish,has helicoils instead of just threaded aluminum, and the windage/elevation turrets(?) look to be much better quality. Even the factory mounts seem to be a huge step above the Romeo 5 line. They actually have a beefy crossbolt and 2 recoil lugs. I still replaced it with a Geiselle mount though.  

Assembled in the USA? F*ck it close enough. I needed an optic that had a circle dot since it's easier on my astigmatism. I didn't want to pay $600 just for an MRO with an alternate reticle. I figure I got a lot of bang for my buck ($250) for the Romeo H
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#40]
idk why so many people go crazy for made in USA products. You're gonna end up paying more money for an inferior quality product like the Leupold RDS. We all know some of the best glass you can get is from Japan or Korea, so if you guys wanna single-handedly save the US economy while also showing yourself to be a bigot, by all means buy that Sun Optics 4x from Tampa Florida that will die after 3 shots vs. well tested optics brands like Holosun.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Deleted by moderator. Save it for GD.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#42]

-Might work for home defense, but Auto shutoff/auto on won't matter if it's on a truck gun. It mind as well be always on.

If I'm going to drop money on something that is worth 70% of an Aimpoint Pro, you bet I want modernized and innovative features such as a battery life over 10,000+ hours at least. If it can't compete with a 20 year old Comp M2's specs, I don't want it.
View Quote

Even if it’s a truck gun, unless you drive 24/7 it won’t “always be on”. Let’s say you drive an average of 3 hours per day, 7 days per week (which is unlikely for almost anyone who doesn’t drive a truck for a living), that’s still 333 days of battery life, which is about a month shy of one full year. Really, you should be replacing batteries at LEAST once a year anyway. So what’s the big deal?

People tend to get way too hung up on battery life. Keep in mind that AimPoint optics are designed with military use in mind, where they will likely be required to be left on for days on end and the soldier can’t just run to the store if it dies. It also simplified logistics for the military having to keep huge storage buildings full of batteries to be replaced every week.

Unless you’re in a foreign country going on week long trips into the wilderness or sandbox, oh, and you’re also having to supply and store batteries for hundreds or thousands of rifles, believe it or not, you don’t NEED a 50,000 hour battery life. And if you’re afraid you can’t remember to turn on an optic as you grab a rifle, you probably need more training. People get too hung up thinking that their needs match the needs of an entire nation’s army when that’s just not the case.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By UncleverUsername:

Even if it’s a truck gun, unless you drive 24/7 it won’t “always be on”. Let’s say you drive an average of 3 hours per day, 7 days per week (which is unlikely for almost anyone who doesn’t drive a truck for a living), that’s still 333 days of battery life, which is about a month shy of one full year. Really, you should be replacing batteries at LEAST once a year anyway. So what’s the big deal?

People tend to get way too hung up on battery life. Keep in mind that AimPoint optics are designed with military use in mind, where they will likely be required to be left on for days on end and the soldier can’t just run to the store if it dies. It also simplified logistics for the military having to keep huge storage buildings full of batteries to be replaced every week. 

Unless you’re in a foreign country going on week long trips into the wilderness or sandbox, oh, and you’re also having to supply and store batteries for hundreds or thousands of rifles, believe it or not, you don’t NEED a 50,000 hour battery life. And if you’re afraid you can’t remember to turn on an optic as you grab a rifle, you probably need more training. People get too hung up thinking that their needs match the needs of an entire nation’s army when that’s just not the case.
View Quote

Dude, the Leupold RDS is shit.  It's like they copied some old ass Chinese sight from 10 years ago.  

I don't even know why people are disputing that thing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Dude, the Leupold RDS is shit.  It's like they copied some old ass Chinese sight from 10 years ago.  

I don't even know why people are disputing that thing.
View Quote

Sorry, I guess I missed where in my post I said anything about the Leupold RDS.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:54:02 AM EDT
[#45]

Even if it’s a truck gun, unless you drive 24/7 it won’t “always be on”. Let’s say you drive an average of 3 hours per day, 7 days per week (which is unlikely for almost anyone who doesn’t drive a truck for a living), that’s still 333 days of battery life, which is about a month shy of one full year. Really, you should be replacing batteries at LEAST once a year anyway. So what’s the big deal?

People tend to get way too hung up on battery life. Keep in mind that AimPoint optics are designed with military use in mind, where they will likely be required to be left on for days on end and the soldier can’t just run to the store if it dies. It also simplified logistics for the military having to keep huge storage buildings full of batteries to be replaced every week. 

Unless you’re in a foreign country going on week long trips into the wilderness or sandbox, oh, and you’re also having to supply and store batteries for hundreds or thousands of rifles, believe it or not, you don’t NEED a 50,000 hour battery life. And if you’re afraid you can’t remember to turn on an optic as you grab a rifle, you probably need more training. People get too hung up thinking that their needs match the needs of an entire nation’s army when that’s just not the case.
View All Quotes

This post really tries to put an emphasis on what I or others need. It doesn't matter what you think people need. What matters is what I, the consumer want. If we went purely off needs, things would grow stagnant and would have no room for improvement. We all want to get our money's worth. There is nothing worse than buying something that is pretty much out dated.

I need more training because I don't want to use archaic technology in a modern day optic?

It's like somebody points out a computer sucks and uses out dated hardware, you disagree with that notion and tell them to "Get gewd". How would you feel about buying a newly made laptop that still uses DDR3 Ram?

Innovations are something we need to embrace. I want the good shit. Not some fudd level optic  like the Leopold (mentioning this as an example). If a company isn't constantly moving forward and innovating they will be left in the dust.

Certain features were awesome in 2005, but times change. I really hate seeing the Chinese kicking our asses when it comes to technology.

A lithium battery powering a LED isn't rocket science.

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#46]
yes the Comp M design goes back nearly 30 years.. its big and heavy... I ditched them and the Trijicon Tri-power years ago.

But I do like my optics like my women - thick and curvy... if you do too, the PRO w/QRP2 mount is on sale at Midway + 10% off coupon ( OPTICS512 ) brings it down to 400 shipped before tax.

Or if you want something a little more bare bones while still a lot less chinese, optics planet has the Aimpoint ACO for $399 + 5% coupon bringing it down to $379 shipped before tax.

Of course you can find a better deal on the EE.. no excuses you just need to stay on top of it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:38:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Star_Couch:
idk why so many people go crazy for made in USA products. You're gonna end up paying more money for an inferior quality product like the Leupold RDS. We all know some of the best glass you can get is from Japan or Korea, so if you guys wanna single-handedly save the US economy while also showing yourself to be a bigot, by all means buy that Sun Optics 4x from Tampa Florida that will die after 3 shots vs. well tested optics brands like Holosun.
View Quote

You obviously did not READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#48]

Yep. The PRO and ACO are antiquated, huge, and heavy for what they are.

If Aimpoint ever came out with a streamlined 1x like the Cyclops in the < $500 range, I'd be all over it.
View Quote

Funny thing is, if you look at SIGs lineup (and Holosun), they make sights that are direct knockoffs of the Aimpoint Pro, ACO (Romeo 6), and M4S (Romeo 7) lineup.  

Not to mention their Eotech knockoffs (Romeo 8)

So someone wants larger RDS, because everyone is still making them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I sighted in my new Aimpoint PRO yesterday.  

Aim dead center, then fire a shot.  
Move red dot to cover the point of impact.
Fire another shot to confirm/tweak.
Done.

Go shoot some steel.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#50]
To those that complain about about companies that make their optics in China just remember our country was going bonkers over this pandemic. Did any of these Made in USA companies come to our help? Did they offer any discounts, rebates or trade ins? All these companies are in it for themselves. Just buy what you can afford and practice.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top