Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did anybody see this post on IG by Atibal?  
View Quote
How pathetic. “Look at me!”
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks nice!
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Looks nice!
View Quote
Yes it does.

Eager to see through this one.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Didn’t March have a 1-10 before Atibal anyway?
I looked through an Atibal 1-8 and it was unimpressive even for cheap.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Atibal is just typical cheap Chinese optics.  A step above the Strike Eagle line (maybe), but likely made in the same plant as SE, PA, etc.

They are just attention whoring to get some draw to their optic which is likely sitting on the shelves.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
-1lb 12oz, the optic should provide lift
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would be an acceptable weight?
-1lb 12oz, the optic should provide lift
I LOLed
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:13:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Harrumph! As Product Marketing Director for a company that makes a 1-10x optic, I just want to point out...

...this looks like a GREAT job by Vortex and if it's as good as the Razor 1-6x it'll redefine value in the higher end LPVO category. I freaking love the reticle options, I can't wait to look through one, can't wait to shoot one for the first time. If this is as good as it should be, and I doubt Vortex has a stinker on their hands here, this is going to rival the Nightforce 1-8x ATACR for about $800 less. Excellent!

The only thing that bothers me about it is that I suspect I'm going to have the following conversation with a bunch of guys online, and at NRAAM this year:

"So how does your Swampfox Arrowhead compare to the new Vortex Razor Gen 3?"

"Um, the Vortex kicks our ass. It's probably tougher, has nicer glass, it's first focal plane instead of second focal plane, the illumination is brighter, the illumination knob locks, it's an amazing scope. I totally recommend the Vortex."

"Wut...?"

"The Vortex is far superior, I would take your $2000 and buy it."

"I can't spend $2000 on a scope."

"Well, then you can't be that disappointed that our $500 scope is not as good, right? Did you really think I would tell you that a $500 scope is as good as a $2000 scope?"

"....uh.... I was just hoping..."
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:27:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did anybody see this post on IG by Atibal?  
View Quote
Jesus, what a joke. Reeks of desperation.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:31:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A 1-10 FFP Razor coming in @ only 21oz? That’s hot.
View Quote
It sure has my attention.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:20:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
March 1-10x24 is still an excellent scope, but it is a very different beast, aimed at a different market.  March is SPF and with sidefocus.  Vortex is FFP without side focus.

I had a long talk with one of the Vortex guys about the new Razor earlier today and it is at the top of my list of scopes to review, but I doubt they will be available before March/April in any significant quantities.

ILya
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:22:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Harrumph! As Product Marketing Director for a company that makes a 1-10x optic, I just want to point out...

...this looks like a GREAT job by Vortex and if it's as good as the Razor 1-6x it'll redefine value in the higher end LPVO category. I freaking love the reticle options, I can't wait to look through one, can't wait to shoot one for the first time. If this is as good as it should be, and I doubt Vortex has a stinker on their hands here, this is going to rival the Nightforce 1-8x ATACR for about $800 less. Excellent!

The only thing that bothers me about it is that I suspect I'm going to have the following conversation with a bunch of guys online, and at NRAAM this year:

"So how does your Swampfox Arrowhead compare to the new Vortex Razor Gen 3?"

"Um, the Vortex kicks our ass. It's probably tougher, has nicer glass, it's first focal plane instead of second focal plane, the illumination is brighter, the illumination knob locks, it's an amazing scope. I totally recommend the Vortex."

"Wut...?"

"The Vortex is far superior, I would take your $2000 and buy it."

"I can't spend $2000 on a scope."

"Well, then you can't be that disappointed that our $500 scope is not as good, right? Did you really think I would tell you that a $500 scope is as good as a $2000 scope?"

"....uh.... I was just hoping..."
View Quote
Spot on.  Basically, the new Razor is supposed to walk all over the ATACR while priced closer to the NX8.  If they actually pull it off, there will be a lot of creative blasphemy in Idaho.  Maybe in a few places in Germany too.

ILya
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:23:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Spot on.  Basically, the new Razor is supposed to walk all over the ATACR while priced closer to the NX8.  If they actually pull it off, there will be a lot of creative blasphemy in Idaho.  Maybe in a few places in Germany too.

ILya
View Quote
i wonder if nightforce will respond with a new optic this year or if we will have to wait till next year for their 1-10s
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:25:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I remember asking Scott Parks about 8 years ago if Vortex would be making FFP LPVOs anything soon.

“Who the hell would want that?”

Well, here we are.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:55:02 AM EDT
[#14]
X24... that eye box will suck. No way around that. Should’ve used a larger objective.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 2:05:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
X24... that eye box will suck. No way around that. Should’ve used a larger objective.
View Quote
Not according to Steve Fisher. He says the eye box is comparable to the 1-6. I'll go with his opinion.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 3:11:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Regards to eyebox/exit pupil- I watched again DLO's video on LPVOs and objective lens diameter. For size/features/FFP/price/weight/quality... I think this is going to kick some serious ass.
Vortex Facebook page, info should be released today.

Link Posted: 1/7/2020 4:03:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
i wonder if nightforce will respond with a new optic this year or if we will have to wait till next year for their 1-10s
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ILya
How long did it take them to come out with the NX8 and ATACR 1-8x?  They completely missed the whole 1-6x category and weren’t competitive in the LPVO market for years because they failed to update their 1-4x.

I highly doubt NF is going to be coming out with a 1-10x anytime soon.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 5:55:57 AM EDT
[#18]
In for more info.

Needs a JM-1 reticle option.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not according to Steve Fisher. He says the eye box is comparable to the 1-6. I'll go with his opinion.
View Quote
Can you share where you read/heard this? The 1-10 has been the optic I’ve desired for a while now but my experience with small exit pupil has me wondering how Vortex tackles it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Can you share where you read/heard this? The 1-10 has been the optic I’ve desired for a while now but my experience with small exit pupil has me wondering how Vortex tackles it.
View Quote
My guess is that on 10x its touchy, but on 1x-6x it's similar to the hd2 1-6.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
This
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
That would be my guess as well.

In any case I found the video on Sentinel Concepts IG. Steve gives it good praise and it seems to handle very similarly to the 1-6. He says none of the 1-8s have impressed him thus far.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
EDIT: See above, Steve Fisher's Instagram account, sentinel_cncpts
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Last night, Steve had a live talk with the Vortex mil/gov sales rep on his Instagram page. Steve saved the video so it is available to watch.

The new Razor is essentially the old, proven Razor but with more magnification and more advanced FFP reticles.
View Quote
any word on how it is it at 1x power? if its just as good as the 1-6 or if its more like 1.1x like other FFP optics?
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

any word on how it is it at 1x power? if its just as good as the 1-6 or if its more like 1.1x like other FFP optics?
View Quote
Someone asked if it was true 1x and he responded with something like "No, more like 0.98x," but that's probably his sarcasm. My impression was that it retains all the positive features of the 1-6 and adds more.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Someone asked if it was true 1x and he responded with something like "No, more like 0.98x," but that's probably his sarcasm. My impression was that it retains all the positive features of the 1-6 and adds more.
View Quote
Crazy. I'm trying to see if I should return my recent 1-6 E that I haven't opened before the return window closes.

Wonder if they'll remake the 1-6 and make it lighter. Doesn't seem like much reason to choose the 1-6 E over this new 1-10. Though still early.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Probably be looking at new 1-6’s for $1K but not redesigned
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#28]
The rep basically said that the Gen II 1-6 will be left alone. The Gen III 1-10 will have a street price of about $2k.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Would be great on an AR-10 18" build I'm planning
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
8 years ago a lot wasn't possible that's been made possible today. This thing took a long time to develop the exact way we wanted it. Truly daylight bright illumination while also maintaining big FOV, generous available travel and amazing apparent FOV the Razor has always been known for being two of the biggest things that are hard to get right simultaneously. This one has it all :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember asking Scott Parks about 8 years ago if Vortex would be making FFP LPVOs anything soon.

"Who the hell would want that?"

Well, here we are.
8 years ago a lot wasn't possible that's been made possible today. This thing took a long time to develop the exact way we wanted it. Truly daylight bright illumination while also maintaining big FOV, generous available travel and amazing apparent FOV the Razor has always been known for being two of the biggest things that are hard to get right simultaneously. This one has it all :)
It looks like you have a real winner on your hands. It just stopped me from buying a Nightforce.

Keep up the awesome work.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I NEED 1

+ I’ll be scoping the EE for 1-6 Razor for the low!!
View Quote
The 1-6 Razors are definitely hitting the EE en masse, though the asking prices seem a little optimistic given the news of this 1-10 Razor release.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Paper specs can only get you so far. The Crossfire II line has a 4-16x50 AO in it - so it has the same exit pupil as would the Diamondback Tactical 4-16x50, the Viper HS-T 4-16x50, the Viper PST 5-25x50 when it's set on 16x and the Gen II Razor 3-18x50 when it's set on 16x, too. Think all those scopes are the exact same experience to get behind? Exactly as easy/hard to get behind as each other? Exactly the same low light performance as one another? Absolutely not.
View Quote
PREACH THE GOSPEL!

I wish there was a better way to quantify eye box, to put a number on it, aside from exit pupil. It just doesn't tell the whole story, at all, I freaking wish it did but it doesn't. All of our precision rifle scopes on the market right now are 30mm main tube. We have prototypes of the next gen scopes that use a 34mm tube, and I SWEAR that the 34mm tube optics have a better eye box, magnification for magnification, even though the exit pupil is similar if not identical. I can't explain it mathematically, and I know that tube diameter shouldn't matter at all when it comes to eye box. I can only relate what I am experiencing when I have hands on the optics and I'm comparing them side by side. Nobody who doesn't have both scopes in front of them will really "get it" from a list of specs on the side of the box.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Can I get it in black?  That is something I really really wish and want Vortex would do is make this available in black and you can also keep the classic Razor color but make an option for black please!
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Much appreciated. Funny how respect goes both ways even between competitors when we all act like adults.
View Quote
We're working on a 1-10x FFP this year. It's going to be a major challenge, and I'm looking forward to it. It'll be a halo product for us, the best scope we can possibly build, no expense spared. But it will still be the "I want a Razor/Nightforce, BUT..." option. What does it hurt me to be honest about that? What does it hurt me to tip my cap when I see someone else doing things the right way and coming out with a great product? You guys rock, I'll visit the booth at SHOT and shake hands. If you can, come visit us down in the dungeon and I'll show you what we've been working on. Like adults.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294448/C78FDB49-0261-4BB8-928F-2DA607171DF0-1224742.png

image here is a screenshot of the G3 Razor on 1x from a video. You'll note the camera is slightly off center which is why the bottom of the housing appears slightly thicker than the top.

Please also consider the fact that getting actual footage or images through an optic on a camera is extremely difficult to do such that it truly imitates how it looks through the human eye.

Most end users that tested this scope prior to release found that they preferred the optics and the user experience of the G3 to the G2 Razor in literally every way.

More imagery/footage to come on Vortex social platforms of what the optics look like. We took some footage yesterday that showed the optical quality much better, but blew out the housing around the optic to make it look way more black around the outside as though the housing were much more intrusive than it actually is. This image above gets closer to how little housing is actually visible when looking through the scope. Still not perfect but close. Hard to get everything perfect.

The "1.1" or "0.9"x effect in LPVO's is a direct result of diopter setting. If diopter is not set right to *YOUR* eye, then that is to be expected. Otherwise it should be true 1x.

edit - you'll also notice one thing that goes unnoticed (by design) is the fact that you can't see the turrets when you look through the optic. Their low profile nature makes them tuck right behind the eyepiece when you get in the shooting position which further improves apparent FOV. Part of the reason this scope got the Razor LPVO low capped turrets. This scope's primary purpose is to be quick as hell and even better than the Razor 1-6x on 1x. The ability to jump up to 10x with FFP, technical glass etched reticles, etc is a huge bonus and it does it very well, adding a ton more versatility to the platform than ever before.
View Quote
Does light spill out the front of the optic?

Those lines at 3,6,9 should be bigger IMHO but the saving grace is red dot bright reticule.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294448/C78FDB49-0261-4BB8-928F-2DA607171DF0-1224742.png

image here is a screenshot of the G3 Razor on 1x from a video. You'll note the camera is slightly off center which is why the bottom of the housing appears slightly thicker than the top.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hold up.

That's the view, 1x on the 1-10x you guys are announcing?
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#46]
If the 1x is as good as it is on the 1-6x Razors, I’m definitely getting one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Any info on how long the battery lasts at daylight bright illumination?
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That's the best a camera could capture of it on 1x, yes. There will be better representations coming on Vortex's social channels this week of what the optical quality is like on 1x, but this gets a close-ish idea of what the "Eyebox" or "Perceived FOV" is on 1x.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hold up.

That's the view, 1x on the 1-10x you guys are announcing?
That's the best a camera could capture of it on 1x, yes. There will be better representations coming on Vortex's social channels this week of what the optical quality is like on 1x, but this gets a close-ish idea of what the "Eyebox" or "Perceived FOV" is on 1x.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Please also consider the fact that getting actual footage or images through an optic on a camera is extremely difficult to do such that it truly imitates how it looks through the human eye.

Most end users that tested this scope prior to release found that they preferred the optics and the user experience of the G3 to the G2 Razor in literally every way.

More imagery/footage to come on Vortex social platforms of what the optics look like. We took some footage yesterday that showed the optical quality much better, but blew out the housing around the optic to make it look way more black around the outside as though the housing were much more intrusive than it actually is. This image above gets closer to how little housing is actually visible when looking through the scope. Still not perfect but close. Hard to get everything perfect.

The "1.1" or "0.9"x effect in LPVO's is a direct result of diopter setting. If diopter is not set right to *YOUR* eye, then that is to be expected. Otherwise it should be true 1x.

edit - you'll also notice one thing that goes unnoticed (by design) is the fact that you can't see the turrets when you look through the optic. Their low profile nature makes them tuck right behind the eyepiece when you get in the shooting position which further improves apparent FOV. Part of the reason this scope got the Razor LPVO low capped turrets. This scope's primary purpose is to be quick as hell and even better than the Razor 1-6x on 1x. The ability to jump up to 10x with FFP, technical glass etched reticles, etc is a huge bonus and it does it very well, adding a ton more versatility to the platform than ever before.
View Quote
Thanks for the detailed post and picture.

I dont think I'd sell my atacr 1-8 to get one of these but I do think I'd buy one of these instead of another atacr next time I need a lpvo.

Nice job as always.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Image doesn't do it justice - that reticle is nuclear daylight bright so it's like a red dot on 1x with the illumination on and the lines at 3,6 and 9 are a bonus to focus your eye.
View Quote
Does light spill out the front of the optic?
Page / 16
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top