Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By theoutlawjoseywales:
Yeah, march definitely didn't have a 1-10 before freaking atibal lolol definitely a decade before them lol 
View Quote

The March was SFP, to be fair. They have a 1-10x FFP optic coming out this year, I think?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By erwos:

The March was SFP, to be fair. They have a 1-10x FFP optic coming out this year, I think?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By erwos:
Yeah, march definitely didn't have a 1-10 before freaking atibal lolol definitely a decade before them lol 

The March was SFP, to be fair. They have a 1-10x FFP optic coming out this year, I think?

I didn't want to bring ior up to even give them any name recognition but they have had a dfp 1-10 out since 2012 I think as well
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Vortex Gen I Razor 1x6 and it’s been awesome.
We all know there’re other 1x10 scopes out there but Vortex is a proven winner for me.
I have found myself wanting more magnification and when Vortex announced the 1x10 Razor I was in.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Delete
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MedicAJ:
This mount works perfectly:

Geissele 34mm Mount
View Quote

What size Geissele mount is that? Standard or extended? Thanks
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Can't wait to get out to zero it!

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TheStig:
Can't wait to get out to zero it!

https://i.imgur.com/MXFCfAW.jpg
View Quote

Sweet!
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Got mine mounted today. Range time tomorrow!
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:58:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By lanesmith:

What size Geissele mount is that? Standard or extended? Thanks
View Quote

I went with the extended. It works fine.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By HemiPowrd:
Got mine mounted today. Range time tomorrow!
http://i.imgur.com/Kmk1lJe.jpg
View Quote

I would think that's a little far to the rear, at least for how i shoot bullpups.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

I would think that's a little far to the rear, at least for how i shoot bullpups.
View Quote

Tested it on both 1X and 10X and that was the correct placement. I'll verify this morning at the range.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been super excited about this scope since January.  I ended up ordering from 2 different places and got them both within a couple days of each other.  I sold one in the EE pretty easily and now I mounted the other one.

Anyway, I knew this optic was gonna be a winner for me.  In anticipation, I cerakoted one of my rifles in "Vortex Bronze" a couple months ago.  Turns out Cerakote knows their stuff.  I love the color and it matches the scope as good as I could have hoped.  

I've had this setup at the range twice now and I am blown away by the glass quality, the reticle and everything else.  When they first announced the specs and put out pics I was a little disappointed that they didn't have exposed target turrets, but I ordered it anyway.  Now that I have it, I am not disappointed about the turrets at all.  I went with the MRAD version and I love the entire setup.  

I'm betting that this thing will be the "LPVO King" for years to come......just like its predecessor.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Blackhalo:

Sagedynamics guy said he offloaded his ATACR in favor of the Razor. 

Odd though on the eyebox at 8x. My buddy has both and said the opposite. Basically said the only thing the NF has the Razor beat on is overall glass quality, but not enough of a difference to make up for the rest of the package. 

Mine is mounted and I'll be shooting this weekend finally.
View Quote

I ended up mounting it just one more picatinny rail slot ahead and to me the eyebox isn't as picky now.

Yes I new that this would be a characteristic of this optic due to the smaller exit-pupil at 10x, but at first I thought I couldn't move it out any further due to ring shadow. It's all working out the way I have it mounted now though.

Yes the glass compared to the ATACR is not enough of a difference to even notice.

I will say the the ATACR does have a more forgiving eyebox but the illumination would dim if you didn't place your head just right with that one, and I'm not seeing this with the Razor.

I'm liking it much more now that I have moved them both ahead on the rail.

The outer ring just about disappears at 10x now just about like it does at 1x.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Its interesting to see how everyone mounts their scopes.
I usually position the scope as far forward in the rings as I can.
I know its a matter of personal preference.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Willz:
Its interesting to see how everyone mounts their scopes. 
I usually position the scope as far forward in the rings as I can.
I know its a matter of personal preference.
View Quote

I actually had done that initially but the off-center look just kinda bugged my OCD

Not sure if the rings touching the turret body has any negative effects but I would imagine not.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Not sure if the rings touching the turret body has any negative effects but I would imagine not.
View Quote

IIRC there needs to be some gap between the ring and the turret body.

@VortexOptics is this correct?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I try and center the turret housing exactly between the rings.....just OCD....no other reason.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#20]
My 13.8” build with the Vortex RG3 1-10 (top pic). I’m going to run it next week and see how I like it. If it shakes out I may switch some optics around...
The RG3 was on my 14.5” 7.62 (2nd picture below)as I thought it was well suited for that rifle. It does work very well for it. After using it out to 800 yards yesterday, I noticed the center dot covers a great deal of the AR500 Silhouette. Still useable. So depending how it shakes out, I may move my MK8 H27D to my shorter 7.62 and get a MK5 for Green 7.62. If not, it’ll go back or I’ll buy another RG3.

feels good on the 5.56 though...

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:

IIRC there needs to be some gap between the ring and the turret body.

@VortexOptics is this correct?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:
Not sure if the rings touching the turret body has any negative effects but I would imagine not.

IIRC there needs to be some gap between the ring and the turret body.

@VortexOptics is this correct?

@VortexOptics

I’m curious as well, as I’ve never heard this. I’ve always mounted the optic to the front of the bellhousing
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:28:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Got my scalarworks mount, still impatiently waiting on my MOA.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:45:37 AM EDT
[#23]
The position of the front ring generally makes more difference in scopes with adjustable parallax.  Without side focus, it is a good practice to leave a gap of some sort between the turret box and the front ring.  The turret box should not serve as a recoil lug and unless you leave a little bit of space in front of it you have no way of knowing if it is being impacted or not.

ILya
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:51:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By VortexOptics:
This 1-10x was in development for years and is not the same as anything else out there on the market. 

To say otherwise is flat-out unintelligent. 

View Quote

When Gen 3 was just introduced they Atibal guy was on Instagram claiming that it was a rip off of his chinese scope.  Basically, he was shamelessly trying to leech off some publicity that Gen 3 was generating.  After some digging it turned out that he thinks any design can be done in just a few months.  Basically he goes to an OEM, tells them what mag range he wants, and then accepts whatever turd they give him.

In principle, I like it when people try to push the envelope a little, but I have seen several versions of the design he is using and they still have a lot of work to do.

One of the more entertaining things is the illumination.  They decided to brute force a conventional etched illumination scheme with a more powerful LED.  The scope basically doubles as a flashlight since more light comes out of the objective than the eyepiece.

ILya
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:31:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Sabre675:
My 13.8” build with the Vortex RG3 1-10 (top pic). I’m going to run it next week and see how I like it. If it shakes out I may switch some optics around...
The RG3 was on my 14.5” 7.62 (2nd picture below)as I thought it was well suited for that rifle. It does work very well for it. After using it out to 800 yards yesterday, I noticed the center dot covers a great deal of the AR500 Silhouette. Still useable. So depending how it shakes out, I may move my MK8 H27D to my shorter 7.62 and get a MK5 for Green 7.62. If not, it’ll go back or I’ll buy another RG3.

feels good on the 5.56 though...

https://i.imgur.com/Gs2IkK8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/p9F2IoG.jpg
View Quote

It was the picture of your awesome looking green LMT MWS that finally pushed me into getting one.  Now I just need the Vortex Razor 1-10x to mount on it.

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

I would think that's a little far to the rear, at least for how i shoot bullpups.
View Quote

You were correct. After getting it to the range I had to move it forward 3 lugs. Thanks for the observation - it prompted me to take a wrench to the range so I could adjust it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I try and center the turret housing exactly between the rings.....just OCD....no other reason.
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Some dude named Josh Costa of "Costa-Inc" is all over Facebook claiming these are all unreliable and he will send them out with warranty cards filled out. Looks like he sells 3-5 scopes at a time and loves drama. Said he had a couple 1-6x need warranty work but never had the one he used for "100 hours" fail.

Also says 1.93 lpvos are a joke. I wouldn't buy shit from that guy. Loves Schmidt & Bender but won't acknowledge the people who had S&B's that needed warranty work.

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By HammerForged:
Some dude named Josh Costa of "Costa-Inc" is all over Facebook claiming these are all unreliable and he will send them out with warranty cards filled out. Looks like he sells 3-5 scopes at a time and loves drama. Said he had a couple 1-6 need warranty work but never had the one he used for "100 hours" fail.

Also says 1.93 lpvos are a joke. I wouldn't buy shit from that guy. Loves Schmidt & Bender but won't acknowledge the people who had S&B's that needed warranty work. 

View Quote

Strange behavior.

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By PN5X5:

Strange behavior.

https://media.giphy.com/media/1M9fmo1WAFVK0/giphy.gif
View Quote

Part of it is trying to get the fan bois riled up it seems. But people who have used the Razor for ten years or whatever now are all "fan Bois" when they defend the product. I'm still "quarantined" and the guy really grinded my gears.

It's in the "Optics Buy Sale Trade" group on Facebook (53k members). If I was @VortexOptics I'd go in there and say hi.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#31]
what a douche nozzle lol

guys like that the only way they get any attention is to do something so ridiculous it gets their name out there … it's literally the only way they can afford marketing ….

they want to be called out so people know their name

it's the any publicity is good publicity mindset

don't get me wrong, i'm all about good honest reviews based on real world use but the manufacturer's deserve credit for pushing the envelope and bringing innovative products to the masses also

it's crazy how much optics have improved in the last decade and I for one am glad to see vortex and other companies pushing the envelope

the g2 1-6 razors were absolute tanks in their robustness especially for a variable optic where just 20 years ago people didn't even really trust variable optics that much for hard use
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#32]
what a douche nozzle lol 

guys like that the only way they get any attention is to do something so ridiculous it gets their name out there … it's literally the only way they can afford marketing …. 

they want to be called out so people know their name 

it's the any publicity is good publicity mindset 

don't get me wrong, i'm all about good honest reviews based on real world use but the manufacturer's deserve credit for pushing the envelope and bringing innovative products to the masses also

it's crazy how much optics have improved in the last decade and I for one am glad to see vortex and other companies pushing the envelope 

the g2 1-6 razors were absolute tanks in their robustness especially for a variable optic where just 20 years ago people didn't even really trust variable optics that much for hard use
View Quote

I agree, a lot of it is self marketing, it certainly seems like it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I just assumed it was a joke to get the comments rolling in to keep his post at the top of the group. He is actively selling the shit out of those scopes.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#34]
I’ll gladly retract if it was a joke

Just went off the info posted above

Not a big fb or insta guy myself

who am I to judge if it's an "attempt" at humor lol
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:10:49 AM EDT
[#35]
I’ll gladly retract if it was a joke 

Just went off the info posted above

Not a big fb or insta guy myself

who am I to judge if it's an "attempt" at humor lol
View Quote

His recommendation is to never put a Razor Gen 2 on a serious use gun. ?????
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:14:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By shelbysguns:
I just assumed it was a joke to get the comments rolling in to keep his post at the top of the group. He is actively selling the shit out of those scopes.
View Quote

I'm not sure why at $1999, cheaper options elsewhere. Ive seen him trash them in multiple threads.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Got out to the range yesterday with mine and everything was perfect.

Fired the Criterion barreled AR with it but unfortunately she was short stroking on the last rd. Looks like it's under gassed, so had to cut it short with only 35rds fired but I digress now.

Ever since I moved it one picatinny slot forward on the rail I have had no problems with eye position.

It was a sunny day out and with the illumination at 6 it was bright enough and didn't need to be any brighter.

Once again I can barely tell the difference in glass between my ATACR I had and the Razor. That being said I don't think I'm going to regret selling the NF.

I don't know what else to say except I'm really digging this thing. Still have the DPMS Gen 2 308 with the other one mounted on it to take to the range once I get the short stroking issue squared away with the criterion barreled ar.

Pic below of just the Razor because my AR is nothing special in the cosmetic department. Just an Aero M4E1 enhanced upper with the Criterion hybrid 18" barrel. I will say it's a shooter though.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#38]

I'm not sure why at $1999, cheaper options elsewhere. Ive seen him trash them in multiple threads.
View Quote

Ships way quicker than back ordering is my guess.

Yeah hes a big nf fan boi.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Planning a 12.5/13.7 lpvo gun.

Debating on this or a nx8. 10x is nice But id honestly be happy with a 1-6 probably.

Was hoping to see gen2 razor prices dropping to the 800s steady and Id take the weight penalty. Also shopping the k16/18 as well.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By VortexOptics:
To answer the questions above, it's not ideal to have your rings butted up against the turret housing, objective bell, or the mag ring. It happens, and plenty of people have gotten away with it without issue, but if we see it and someone is having issues, we're not surprised in the least. At each one of those points (More so with the objective bell when you have a scope with adjustable parallax) there are mechanicals underneath that need to move and function without impingement. Parallax cell, turret adjustments, erector gimble, etc. If you're using rings that have any imperfections such as high/low spots in the machining (These are often times not even easily seen by the naked eye) even if you torque to spec, it can cause enough pressure on those spots to create an issue. If you overtorque the rings, then you're for sure going to have issues. It's not always a matter of complete failure or freezing, but can just keep things from working perfectly the way they were intended. 

When possible, try to keep your rings mounted around any scope tube somewhere near the middle of each portion on either side of the turret housing. Better to mitigate any potential source of any kind of problem than to roll the dice and maybe get lucky.
View Quote

^^^ THIS!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Some dude named Josh Costa of "Costa-Inc" is all over Facebook claiming these are all unreliable and he will send them out with warranty cards filled out. Looks like he sells 3-5 scopes at a time and loves drama. Said he had a couple 1-6x need warranty work but never had the one he used for "100 hours" fail.

Also says 1.93 lpvos are a joke. I wouldn't buy shit from that guy. Loves Schmidt & Bender but won't acknowledge the people who had S&B's that needed warranty work. 

View Quote

This “dude” josh Costa absolutely knows what he’s talking about. Deals in products most average shooters can only wish they had. His customer service is outstanding. I’m sorry you got your butt hurt. But don’t come slam a guy that has more time behind products than you do.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By shelbysguns:
Planning a 12.5/13.7 lpvo gun.

Debating on this or a nx8. 10x is nice But id honestly be happy with a 1-6 probably.

Was hoping to see gen2 razor prices dropping to the 800s steady and Id take the weight penalty. Also shopping the k16/18 as well.
View Quote

I have a Nightforce NX8 and have looked thru the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x.  It's not even close.

The Vortex glass is slightly better.  The eyebox is HUGELY better.  The illumination is close, with the NX8 being able to set fire to paper on it's max setting.  The NX8 wins on weight (17oz VS 21oz).

Between the NX8 and the Vortex Razor 1-10x, it's an easy choice IMHO.  I really like my NX8 but would pick Vortex over it every time.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By stevenangel86:

This “dude” josh Costa absolutely knows what he’s talking about. Deals in products most average shooters can only wish they had. His customer service is outstanding. I’m sorry you got your butt hurt. But don’t come slam a guy that has more time behind products than you do.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#45]

This “dude” josh Costa absolutely knows what he’s talking about. Deals in products most average shooters can only wish they had. His customer service is outstanding. I’m sorry you got your butt hurt. But don’t come slam a guy that has more time behind products than you do.
View Quote

Wait, you mean the same dude who claimed Knight's makes guns that are overgassed and unreliable? That dude?

Lol. Dude is a drama queen trying to stir up fanboys to get attention.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By oldbrowndog:

Wait, you mean the same dude who claimed Knight's makes guns that are overgassed and unreliable? That dude? 

Lol. Dude is a drama queen trying to stir up fanboys to get attention.
View Quote

@rustedace said some KAC guns are overgassed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By oldbrowndog:

Wait, you mean the same dude who claimed Knight's makes guns that are overgassed and unreliable? That dude? 

Lol. Dude is a drama queen trying to stir up fanboys to get attention.
View Quote

Yeah I looked at his other posts and he tried to stir up shit with Lucas of TRex Arms, Geissele and posted a back and forth with somebody he pissed off. Drama Queen.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 16
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top