Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which reticle would work best on a 1-6?

MOA, MRAD or JM BDC?I know how each one works, just not which one is optimal
View Quote
A lot of users here have the JM-1 on their gun, and that is the only one I don't currently use.

I put the MRAD Razor 1-6 on one of my rifles and it "twin" wears the PST 1-6 so I could get a feel for the two side by side.

At this point I'm happy with both, but gosh it's awful tempting to put another Razor in the stable with that $900 price.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I’ve ordered multiple optics from europtics with no issues.
View Quote
Eurooptics is GTG. They went out of their way to help me with a billing/delivery address issue.

It’s my go to. It has an awesome comparison chart that has specs and reticle to compare side by side. I’ve bought 2 optics from them in the past 2 months.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This is what you seek, OP
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Razor 1-6
This is what you seek, OP
Yes ^
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anyone else have any experience with these? Battery life is advertised as 8,000hrs, which sounds pretty outstanding for an LPVO illuminating most of the reticle. The reticle looks similar to some ACSS variants, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shepherd. Both eyes open large circle for CQB @ 1x, illuminated or not. "Automatic" range finding reticle @ 6x. Good glass, strong. $800-$900.https://shepherdscopes.com/product/1-6x24-t1/

P.S. The pictures do not do the reticle justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaM7AH76wD0
Anyone else have any experience with these? Battery life is advertised as 8,000hrs, which sounds pretty outstanding for an LPVO illuminating most of the reticle. The reticle looks similar to some ACSS variants, too.
Review of the Shepherd Phantom 1-6x

Confirmed by Shepherd that it uses a mix of Japanese and German glass.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Razor 1-6
View Quote
FPNI AGAIN
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the Razor Pre E version. Great glass and FOV. It’s not perfect. The weight and the S L O W zoom make it a bit tankish.

The VX6 HD with the Firedot G BDC price puts it in a class of optic that’s hard to compete in. The Exposed turrets are also a bummer. A BDC 1-6 doesn’t need to spin dials. If they would have had the option of capped turrets I would have probably gotten it.

Leupold does some stupid things by limiting their options. If they offered the BDC and TMR across their popular lines they would sell more glass. If they put a decent reticle in the VX5 they would be hard to beat. If they capped the VX6 turrets and were more realistic with the price they would sell like hot cakes. The weight of the scopes with decent options would make them an industry leader in the gaming rifle sports.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looking for the right 1-6 for my Rifle. Have been lookin at the Leupold vx 6HD, vortex viper pst gen II, vanguard endeavor, EO tech vudu and countless others. The SFP vs FFP is also still undecided. Just wanna see what the community thinks about this one?

Looking for-- great glass
- daylight bright
- not cluttered reticle

Thanks
View Quote
Although not a 1-6x, Midway has the Viper Gen 1 on sale known as the Vortex Ranger 1-4x24 with the TMCQ Reticle for $350 and I snagged one for $329, a couple of weeks back, I think for the price it is a well worth deal, and would highly recommend one, although its' not a 1-6x optic, but the price is hard to pass up, IMHO. It is daylight bright not cluttered and very crisp, with a great eye relief, also with the illumination knob to give it a better brighter setting. Throwing that one out there because it is on sale for a great price. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/826956/vortex-optics-ranger-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-1-4x-24mm-1-2-moa-adjustments-illuminated-tmcq-reticle-matte-with-target-turrets
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Vortex if youre on a budget, Kahles if youre not.
View Quote
Quoted:
Razor on a budget, Kahles if you want the best.
View Quote
Quoted:
Razor if you are on a budget. Kahles if you want the best.
https://i.ibb.co/mXvJzp7/00100l-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST20181021175951898-COVER.jpg
View Quote
I believe we've got a pattern here fellas.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Shepherd. Both eyes open large circle for CQB @ 1x, illuminated or not. "Automatic" range finding reticle @ 6x. Good glass, strong. $800-$900.https://shepherdscopes.com/product/1-6x24-t1/

P.S. The pictures do not do the reticle justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaM7AH76wD0
View Quote
I've seen these scopes mentioned a few times now. Have been interested in them but most are exposed uncapped tactical turrets and some of those reticles, despite the idea behind them, are just waaaay too busy for me
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#11]
What about the GRSC 1-6?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Slow zoom? Explain please?
View Quote
Adjusting the zoom is stiff and slow, even with a lever.

It’s a robust piece of equipment so it’s not unexpected.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Razor
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I really like my Trijicon 1-8 fwiw
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This

or if it is out of your budget, the Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6x is awesome. I love mine.
View Quote
I was looking at the PST II as well.

How do you like yours? What reticle did you end up choosing? How is the brightness and clarity?

Eyebox issues at max magnification?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
MOA/MRAD are 2 sides of the same coin. Both do the same thing. Pick whichever matches the rest of your scopes (note scopes and not rds) in terms of turrets and reticle.

You will be able to range unknown distance for all targets and all types of ammo (regardless of barrel length) with a ballistic calculator.

JM-1 BDC is good for known distances. The stadia widths are sized for competition targets if I remember correctly and Vortex recommends using heavier bullets our of a 16” barrel for optimal use.

Technically the MOA/MRAD is more versatile from an overall perspective. But the BDC is easier, quicker and more intuitive if you have the proper ammo matched to your barrel length and scope zero.

BDCs make sense for competitive rifles where the same gun and ammo are used each time (much like military rifles and BDCs).
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Vortex is the king in every class including weight.

I am faster with my Burris 1-6 although it is not nearly as accurate:

vs

I think the Strike Eagle reticle is close to a good balance, but I think 1-8x is a bit too much of a good thing:
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally The JM1 reticle of the Vortex only compensates out to 400 yards. Beyond that you're guessing.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Vortex Razor HD 1-6/end of thread.

To emphasize some more, you cannot buy better than the Razor HD Gen2 even with more money from Khales.

Vortex has better: durability.  dials (way superior than Khales).   Reticle options (bdc, moa, mil, take your pick)

Khales has better: weight (3 oz lighter than Razor).

3 oz is not enough to tip the scale in favor of Khales, no pun intended.  The Vortex has an overwhelming advantage over Khales, to say nothing of price.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
NX8
View Quote
Not a 1-6 and it has a shit, unforgiving eye box.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What about the GRSC 1-6?
View Quote
No daylight visible illumination makes it a non-starter.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Looking for the right 1-6 for my Rifle. Have been lookin at the Leupold vx 6HD, vortex viper pst gen II, vanguard endeavor, EO tech vudu and countless others. The SFP vs FFP is also still undecided. Just wanna see what the community thinks about this one?

Looking for-- great glass
- daylight bright
- not cluttered reticle

Thanks
View Quote
Accupoint 1-6 with triangle or mil dot
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:18:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Vortex Razor HD 1-6/end of thread.

To emphasize some more, you cannot buy better than the Razor HD Gen2 even with more money from Khales.

Vortex has better: durability.  dials (way superior than Khales).   Reticle options (bdc, moa, mil, take your pick)

Khales has better: weight (3 oz lighter than Razor).

3 oz is not enough to tip the scale in favor of Khales, no pun intended.  The Vortex has an overwhelming advantage over Khales, to say nothing of price.
View Quote
People with tens of thousands of rounds through both will disagree with you.

- Durability is hard to analyse apart from anecdotal experiences. Inquire with major optics dealers and they will tell you the K16i is equally durable, in their experience.
- Both have capped turrets, with the Kahles having the much finer .1 mil adjustments. Not sure how this equates to 'way superior' for the razor. Turret arguments on LPVOs is pointless- they are there to zero and then cap em.
- Kahles reticles are just as capable. Ask around.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

People with tens of thousands of rounds through both will disagree with you.

- Durability is hard to analyse apart from anecdotal experiences. Inquire with major optics dealers and they will tell you the K16i is equally durable, in their experience.
- Both have capped turrets, with the Kahles having the much finer .1 mil adjustments. Not sure how this equates to 'way superior' for the razor. Turret arguments on LPVOs is pointless- they are there to zero and then cap em.
- Kahles reticles are just as capable. Ask around.
View Quote
-Pick up a Razor HD and a Khales sided by side, and you try to keep a straight face telling anybody that the Khales is the equal of Vortex in durability.

-Having capped turrets is not even the meat of the discussion, it is the dials themselves.  Have you ever tried the Razor dials and the Khales dials side by side before?  The Razor is VASTLY SUPERIOR in tactile and audible feedback.  The difference between them is the difference between rolling a round and a square peg.  Which means that while the Khales may be limited to "zero and then cap em," the Razor HD can take whatever adjustments you throw at it in the field, or switching between rifles on a qd mount and just dial to the numbers you knew where they zeroed previously.  You can trust the Razor HD to to do that easy, not so much with those mushy Khales dials.

- Khales reticles are fine, not a problem with them, but the Razor has three options to choose from, all of which are just as outstanding as the Khales.  Does the Khales have mil, moa, and bdc to choose from?

The Vortex Razor HD gen2 1-6 is the king of the LPVO, the gold standard that everybody else has been trying to imitate for the past five year.  Khales is the closest competitor that came close, in my opinion, but it's only advantage it's that 3 ounces in weight.  If it matters to you, yeah, it matters.  For everything else, the Razor HD is a step ahead.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:46:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Awesome, lots of really good feedback. I kinda figured the Razor is the gold standard and europtics deal is hard to pass up. Never heard of that site either so it may require some additional shopping. I still like that the Leupold is so light weight, wish there were more like it!
View Quote
Eurooptic is great ive ordered from them at least 3 times with no issue.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:48:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
5.56 AR? VMR 1 MIL or BDC IMO
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:21:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Most definitely the Kahles K16i or Swarovski Z6i with the razor G2-E very close to them, from my experience.  I loved everything about the K16i I owned except for the cluttered reticle (SM1), but the new 3GR looks perfect to me. The turrets are extremely tactile and they’re capped, so even if they were a little “mushy” that’s a mute point.  Plus, it has more precise adjustments. It also has a slightly better FOV on 1x then the razor. Don’t get me wrong with the weight savings of the E and price I can get one at, I’d have no problem with the Razor E on my rifle and currently considering one.

I’m sure most have seen this review by our own SuperSetCA on here, but for those who haven’t....

https://youtu.be/JHzvI6zu7Mo
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:34:11 AM EDT
[#29]
That Shepard one looks really interesting, especially if the battery life is for real
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:43:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That Shepard one looks really interesting, especially if the battery life is for real
View Quote
The FOV on it is horrendous, which is one of the downfalls to FFP LPVO’s to me. Plus, that reticle is way, way to busy. For that price the Razor @ $899 is a much better buy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:07:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would go Razor E.  The clarity is so good that it seems like more than 6X at the top power.
View Quote
yep
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The VX6 HD with the Firedot G BDC price puts it in a class of optic that’s hard to compete in. The Exposed turrets are also a bummer. A BDC 1-6 doesn’t need to spin dials. If they would have had the option of capped turrets I would have probably gotten it.
View Quote
To be fair, the turrets are locking so I don't see this as a major negative.  They are also 1/4-MOA per click vs 1/2-MOA for the Razor. Leupold also includes a free custom dial (you send your ballistic data in, they send you a dial). Sure, spinning is probably unnecessary, but I don't mind having options.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#33]
I like the Razor so much I’m thinking of putting one on a deer rifle.

Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:44:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What about the GRSC 1-6?
View Quote
Piece of crap, shot one in 3 gun when they first came out. The eye box on the GRSC is real small making it very tough to use in 3 gun. The GRSC reticale is very poor for real fast shooting compared to the Razor with the JM reticale.  Sold it bought a Razor and never looked back.

Then the GRSC only has a 2 year warranty, Vortex, Burris, and Leupold all have life time warranties. That says something right there.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Since the OP didn't mention budget, I'll say that no matter what I try, I keep going back to my 1-4 Elcan SpecterDR's.  The view through them is just so … luxurious, for lack of a better work.  So bright, so open.  The Kahles K16i gives it a run and to this date is the only thing that's managed to kick a Specter off any of rifles.
View Quote
I agree with you on that one, but some of us don't have that kind of coin, but trying to find an excuse to kick the GF to curb so I can spoil myself. OP I would recommend the Vortex Ranger 1-4x24 over at Midway, you are not going to find a better deal its, pretty much the Vortex Viper Gen 1 With the TMCQ reticle, and it's kind of like the Trijicon Accupower but much cheaper in price and just as good, you are not going to find a better deal I promise, here's the Link! Sorry forgot I posted here yesterday with same link, go look at it, great deal, don't know why so many haters on that scope!
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I agree with you on that one, but some of us don't have that kind of coin, but trying to find an excuse to kick the GF to curb so I can spoil myself. OP I would recommend the Vortex Ranger 1-4x24 over at Midway, you are not going to find a better deal its, pretty much the Vortex Viper Gen 1 With the TMCQ reticle, and it's kind of like the Trijicon Accupower but much cheaper in price and just as good, you are not going to find a better deal I promise, here's the Link! Sorry forgot I posted here yesterday with same link, go look at it, great deal, don't know why so many haters on that scope!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since the OP didn't mention budget, I'll say that no matter what I try, I keep going back to my 1-4 Elcan SpecterDR's.  The view through them is just so … luxurious, for lack of a better work.  So bright, so open.  The Kahles K16i gives it a run and to this date is the only thing that's managed to kick a Specter off any of rifles.
Decent optic for the price but for only $100 more (when on sale) the Steiner P4Xi is a much better option in the 1-4x range.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Decent optic for the price but for only $100 more (when on sale) the Steiner P4Xi is a much better option in the 1-4x range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree the Steiner is the best 1-4 I’ve seen
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
FPNI AGAIN
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Razor 1-6
FPNI AGAIN
How when a Kahles exists?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not to stray off OP's Topic but me personally I prefer the TMCQ Reticle, but I'm definitely open ears to that suggestion and would like to hear your opinion on why it is better, It was one of the scopes I looked at for my new Deer Rifle.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not to stray off OP's Topic but me personally I prefer the TMCQ Reticle, but I'm definitely open ears to that suggestion and would like to hear your opinion on why it is better, It was one of the scopes I looked at for my new Deer Rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Superior Glass quality, capped turrets, better FOV. I don’t know what the illumination on the Vortex is like, but the Steiner is Aimpoint bright. Reticles are subjective, so if the Vortex reticle works better for you then great. I prefer a simple crosshair with a bright dot and subtensions. I hate cluttered reticles, especially if I was using for deer hunting.  Nothing wrong with the Vortex, but you get a lot more in the P4Xi for only $100 more.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Superior Glass quality, capped turrets, better FOV. I don't know what the illumination on the Vortex is like, but the Steiner is Aimpoint bright. Reticles are subjective, so if the Vortex reticle works better for you then great. I prefer a simple crosshair with a bright dot and subtensions. I hate cluttered reticles, especially if I was using for deer hunting.  Nothing wrong with the Vortex, but you get a lot more in the P4Xi for only $100 more.
View Quote
Gen 1 Vortex PST is not daylight bright.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:03:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Not to stray off topic, but I do prefer the Vortex 1-4 over the Steiner myself.  It's just outstanding in every way, especially that reticle, just outstanding design.  And with that price, can't be beat, not at all.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 6:38:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Accupoint 1-6 with triangle or mil dot
View Quote
Kind of surprised Trijicon is seldom mentioned.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Can the Vortex Razor (Gen II HD-E 1-6x24 VMR-2 MRAD) be used on a SCAR 17 for precision work, hunting and 3 gun?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Superior Glass quality, capped turrets, better FOV. I don’t know what the illumination on the Vortex is like, but the Steiner is Aimpoint bright. Reticles are subjective, so if the Vortex reticle works better for you then great. I prefer a simple crosshair with a bright dot and subtensions. I hate cluttered reticles, especially if I was using for deer hunting.  Nothing wrong with the Vortex, but you get a lot more in the P4Xi for only $100 more.
View Quote
Thanks for the honest answer, honestly I agree with you on the cluttered Reticle you pointed out, but the terrain up here in Appalachian Mountains is mostly 200-400 yards max usually with thick woods, I like the Vortex TMCQ Reticle because it is the perfect in between, not to cluttered but just not overtly basic for these thick woods and dense brush we got up here if that makes any sense, works great with minor adjustments, but on the other hand if I was hunting out on the wide flat plains, and or open steppe I would prefer something a little more basic for range finding and wind adjustments, for distance. Like I said hope that makes some sense lol. Then again I do like the the 1-10x Power Hoody2Shoez posted from Atibal too for wide open plains and open steppe, but outside of the extra magnification, I wonder how these two would compare.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
We can "Loosen" that up for you. Hate to say the word "Loosen" as it tends to equate with making something not as precise or of less quality, but we have the capability to make the zoom ring turn more easily and quickly without sacrificing reliability (Aside from being easier to bump but that's a tradeoff) if you like.

Give us a call if that's something you'd like to make happen.

Edit - wow we're behind on this one. Sorry for the delay there
View Quote
You guys should consider doing that to all new Razor 1-6 from now on, loosening the magnification ring a little bit.  Not a lot, just a little, maybe 10% to 15% less resistance than it is now.  It should still offer great "staying power" at 1x for bumps here and there but a lot easier/faster to switch it up quickly.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top