AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You know why gun gamers use them?

Because they perform better.  Keep in mind that when you're dealing with competitive shooters you're looking at a crowd that spends huge sums of money on performance.  Is it going to save a quarter/half/full second on transitions while maintaining or improving accuracy? Where exactly should this thing be mounted to be used most intuitively? Then, these people are subjecting their gear to a continuous series of trials every month where speed and accuracy are tracked, not to mention training time.

Competition shooters obsess over the most minute details and spend a lot of money to squeeze every drop of performance out of their gear... Then people just dismiss so many lessons learned as "gun gamer gear".

Sometimes that's true, but often times people are missing out on a huge amount of community knowledge and experience. Your average mid-tier 3-Gunner is spending a hell of a lot more time squaring away their gear than the average infantryman.

Just something to think about.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it only sucks for YOU. if we are talking in absolutes here....then i say the 45 deg thing sucks. seems to have more of a following for gun gamers.

i am perfectly fine rising up to look over the top on an acog.
You know why gun gamers use them?

Because they perform better.  Keep in mind that when you're dealing with competitive shooters you're looking at a crowd that spends huge sums of money on performance.  Is it going to save a quarter/half/full second on transitions while maintaining or improving accuracy? Where exactly should this thing be mounted to be used most intuitively? Then, these people are subjecting their gear to a continuous series of trials every month where speed and accuracy are tracked, not to mention training time.

Competition shooters obsess over the most minute details and spend a lot of money to squeeze every drop of performance out of their gear... Then people just dismiss so many lessons learned as "gun gamer gear".

Sometimes that's true, but often times people are missing out on a huge amount of community knowledge and experience. Your average mid-tier 3-Gunner is spending a hell of a lot more time squaring away their gear than the average infantryman.

Just something to think about.
gun gamers covers a lot of territory

just because some dude in a stage used it once doesn't mean it's any good

for all anyone knows, they could be trying it out just before they ditch it
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote
Except in this case, it's something that's pretty much ubiquitous.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:18:15 PM EDT
[#3]
so if a guy choses the LPV path and becomes proficient at the 1x setting, is there any reason for a rifle with an RDS in his inventory?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:24:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
so if a guy choses the LPV path and becomes proficient at the 1x setting, is there any reason for a rifle with an RDS in his inventory?
View Quote
Lighter weight practical rifle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:35:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sure... If you have a dedicated, simple lightweight rifle for inside if 300 meters a RDS is great.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

prevalence isn't an indicator of a quality

lots of folks use offset sights, lots of others don't use a secondary system at all
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:40:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

lots of folks use offset sights, lots of others don't use a secondary system at all
View Quote
You couldn’t be more correct. The fact that the top performers and the people actually winning matches gravitate to the same type of gear set up in roughly the same manner is meaningless.

Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
RDS is much more forgiving of awkward shooting positions and still faster up close than a LPVO.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
RDS is much more forgiving of awkward shooting positions and still faster up close than a LPVO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And is over 1lb lighter.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Is this an absolute? In who's hands is a RDS faster than a LPVO?

Quoted:

And is over 1lb lighter.
View Quote
Completely Insignificant.

The benefits of having magnification available to ID targets, or aim at specific locations of a target rather than COM, outweigh any perceived (IE not real) benefits of a non-magnified, lightweight red dot.

300 yard full size silhouette in good lighting, with no shadows or vegetation around it?  Sure, RDS is easy enough to get hits.  50 yard target that is concealed with some camouflage, in the shade, behind some cover- good luck seeing it, let alone hitting it.  Even just 2x or 3x magnification in this instance is a huge improvement over a 2moa red dot.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And is over 1lb lighter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And is over 1lb lighter.
Yep. Walk with an LPVO for 12 hours straight then throw on an Aimpoint micro to replace it.

There’s a difference
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The benefits of having magnification available to ID targets, or aim at specific locations of a target rather than COM, outweigh any perceived (IE not real) benefits of a non-magnified, lightweight red dot.

300 yard full size silhouette in good lighting, with no shadows or vegetation around it?  Sure, RDS is easy enough to get hits.  50 yard target that is concealed with some camouflage, in the shade, behind some cover- good luck seeing it, let alone hitting it.  Even just 2x or 3x magnification in this instance is a huge improvement over a 2moa red dot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

And is over 1lb lighter.

In what scenario are you taking shots at someone lying prone in a field, hidden?

SHTF? I’m disengaging almost every possible point to stay alive. The weight reduction of an RDS for me is worth the trade off of PID’ing someone at 400y I’d never have intention to engage.

If I’m putting 26 ounces on top of my rifle, it’s going to be a thermal scope where there is true differentiation.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep. Walk with an LPVO for 12 hours straight then throw on an Aimpoint micro to replace it.

There's a difference
View Quote
Doesn't even feel like there's an optic there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Everyone.  Give a shooter otherwise identical set ups and he'll be faster up close with the red dot.  Put a silhouette at 25 yards.  Break out the shot timer and see which setup allows you to get a center mass hit the fastest. Then start shooting from unconventional positions and see which one works best.  It will be the red dot.  The magnification of the LPVO isn't a benefit at close range, and its parallax, eye relief, and narrow eye box are detrimental.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Weight.  I have a red dot on my AR pistol.

I would much rather have another Razor 1-6, but, cost is a factor.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not for me it isn't.  The optical qualities of the Razor on 1x are superb.

And by that I mean speed of acquisition.   Exit pupil may be a factor at 6x, not 1x.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I seem to be posting this in a few LPVO threads lately.  This thread had to do with force on force training with LPVOs

Quoted:

I believe I see what you're trying to ask. This isn't about force on force training per say, but more a dynamic, opposition based environment.

In that reality, even mediocre LPVOs dominate all other offerings for the vast majority of uses you may encounter. You will not get killed from using the NX8 or other LPVOs.

Let's rewind a bit. Force on force training with rifles is difficult when using UTM-type rounds due to the level of PPE required. At times, this is such a hindrance to firing a rifle that it becomes detrimental, and encourages 'point shooting', probably the worst thing you can possibly do in close proximity engagements. If a CBRN environment is your concern, simply raising the optic in question generally works well.

Here's a couple truths :

1. The fastest way to prevent injury or death is to kill an opponent faster than he can kill you. The probability of injury or death increases with reduced proximity - find emotional control by accepting this, and function in the best way possible : as an unemotional machine. Again, the fastest way to prevent injury or death is to shoot a bad guy in the face or high center chest as distance increases past your ability to do so. The best way to do this is to level sights on the target and move the trigger to the rear without exceeding your ability to hold within an acceptable area. How is that any different from any kind of shooting, competitive or otherwise? How does this allow for blind point shooting? Is that not extremely dangerous and irresponsible?

2. Its 2018, bro. Competitive shooting has been shown to have a direct correlation with marksmanship ability and skill in an opposition based environment. The ability to think ahead and game a 'stage' (or target...), the ability to see and cover dead space quickly to fill gaps and weapon downtime, the ability to push speed of weapon handling and manipulations, the ability to function under great pressure (self imposed), a deeply emotional and personal attachment to performance such as seeing sights and moving the trigger correctly (technical skills), etc... all this is learned in competitive shooting. Is anyone seriously going to argue at this point that these things don't help? Are we seriously going to argue at this point that the potential of incoming fire is supposed to dictate how I stand (example, the stupid concept of standing square to present plates... how about this - stand in a way that allows you to shoot bad dudes as fast and accurate as possible. Maybe?)?

Folks have GOT to get over this fallacy that competitive shooting is so different from combative shooting. If it truly was so, competitive shooters wouldn't be called upon time and again to fix DoD units' shooting and weapon handling ability. Having lived it in training and combat, I can unequivocally state that every competitive shooter I know that went to combat (even the 'okay' ones) outperformed those around him when the moment came. This applies to USPSA shooters, CMP rifle and pistol shooters, Multi-gun shooters (although shotgun is pointless in many ways) etc.

3. There is also a fallacy that 'special' people have some kind of special weapon requirements (and equipment, ammunition, etc.). Really? What is the difference in need between a Marine (non 03XX) with a truck bearing down on his checkpoint in Ramadi, a civilian in fear for his life during a nighttime burglary attempt, a DEVGRU assaulter sneaking through a house prior to compromise after a 15K foot movement on the outskirts of a city, or a gate guard defending an Air Force base? Once they raise a weapon to their shoulder, all differences go away in terms of basic weapon functionality and need. What changes is the assigned mission, the level of funding, the training given to them, and their mode of transportation to the target. All have a need for a weapon that hits what they aim at. All have a need for a weapon that doesn't fight them in that moment. All have a need for ammunition that performs terminally.

There is a completely antiquated way of thinking in that a fixed 4X optic is somehow simpler and better for most jobs. I hear 'durability' tossed around a whole lot. Most are referring to the ACOG family of optics.

Here's the truth about them :
- The internals break more often than any other optic I've seen, in greater numbers, in greater frequency. Durability of the housings is assumed to transfer to the adjusters and prisms. This is incorrect.
- Put one on a gunner's quadrant some day to do a tracking and repeatability test. You'll see areas of dead clicks, so the adjusters are not actually giving the shooter what they say they are. Also, the elevation and windage components track about as straight as Freddy Mercurie's sexuality. The optics do not hold zero under impact. So if the optic doesn't track and can't hold zero... how are you ever going to achieve a true zero and fire the weapon at another human being, guaranteeing a hit?
- The eye reliefs and eye box of these optics are criminally short and small. To those saying you can get sight alignment in these optics easier than in most LPVOs, your assumed knowledge exceeds your actual capability.

I just helped run an event testing this exact thing, among other things. Out of 21 shooters (4 cadre, 17 students of all ground combat backgrounds), all performed better from 0-600 yards with LPVOs (Nightforce, Vortex, Trijicon) than ACOGs 100% of the time. Inside of 50M, the ability to go to 1X (mandatory prior to assuming movement in event of a critical short range engagement) dominated fixed 3.5/4X shooters, and the ability to zoom in further dominated all RDS (Aimpoint M4 and T1) and fixed 3.5/4X shooters. It wasn't even close. Training to use MILs took about 15 minutes for all (GASP! Impossibru they say!!). Shooting most marksmanship standards at 7M with red dot illumination was no issue. If a shooter has a massive issue finding his eyeball even moderately behind the optic, an RDS acts as a bandaid in a training environment, masking the fact that they are mounting the rifle incorrectly.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/317179/IMG_3044-603845.JPG

Above - Dudes doing CQB having zero problems with a 1-6 and 1-8 LPVO

So what about the times the shooter could not shoulder the rifle? This is why we have other sighting systems such as daylight visible lasers (MAWL, NGAL, etc.). Simplicity for the sake of simplicity creates a one trick shooter that runs into SERIOUS trouble the moment they are put into a situation they are now ill equipped for. The 95% range of operations is best suited to a LPVO in the 1-8 range, with a 30-34mm tube, a cat tail/throw lever, and is a MIL based system (no math required to zero or convert figures. How's that for simplicity? Aimpoint T-Xs are in what again? 1/2 minutes? TA31F RCOs? 1/3 minutes and now in 1/10 MIL with neither an MOA or MIL reticle? See the point?)

I've even had to use magnification to see inside of buildings before (the only thing worse than risking my own death is killing an innocent. PID before you shoot, even if you eat it! Know your line of work..) Think about it - what's the longest shot a civilian shooter may take? 3-7M based on the FBI average you say? Well, newsflash, gunfights normally END there, they don't START there most times. Ever look down a Wal Mart aisle? A parking lot? What's the longest distance in your house? I guarantee its more than 3M. I am not saying you will need magnification in your house. I am saying that if you were to pick one tool, you pick the one that isn't going to hinder your performance from 0-600M.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/317179/IMG_2717-603847.JPG

A rare picture of yours truly. Again, having zero issues with a mini 1-8 in weird positions. That little optic has been used in CQB, at speed, without issues. Clearing closet spaces or shooting out of the shoulder, the VIS laser goes on. When NODs go down, the PEQ15 or MAWL take over completely.

So here's reality. If you will ONLY shoot this optic at 50M and in, an RDS may be for you - some Conventional, SOCOM and JSOC guys can get away with it due to their availability of external security (ie, other dudes with long guns and magnified optics). The moment (because force on force presumably isn't what you're buying an optic for per say) you have to shoot further, you want a MIL based 1-8X LPVO with daylight bright illumination. If you can, stick a T2/H2 forward of the 1-8 and 45 degrees offset. Let your mission drive the gear train. If you can, get dual tube NODs and a VIS/IR laser... this changes the entire discussion - the laser BECOMES your RDS, and in some cases can be faster than an enclosed optic. Can't see the laser dot in a room or in the open? Then you are in fact Ray Charles and may want to seek a different line of work.

That being said, I urge you to not buy into the baloney that competitive shooting is somehow detrimental to your survival in a fight, and contradictory to the rational development of combat capabilities. The exact opposite is normally true, with few exceptions (except for shotguns. They are stupid. Highly stupid.)

ACOGs are decade plus old technology and architecture. Elcans were a good step forward, but have their associated issues too (mounting, weight, bulk, tracking, etc.). RDS are great for 100% compromised shooting positions inside of 50M, but if you are planning to default towards compromised shooting positions, you already have a losing mentality and will pay for it during... well, Force on Force.

Some folks just need to get with the times and go train with folks that take them well beyond their decade old comfort zones...

Goodness! Rant off.

If you need anything, give me a shout.

S/F
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mine.

I’m a huge proponent of the LPVO and have competed with one for years. It’s hard to beat a high quality 1-4 or 1-6 as an all around optic.

However, to say that it’s “just as fast” as a true, large window RDS is false. If I run something like a 15-threat COF incorporating movement with a quality LPVO, I’ll be able to shave at least a second or two with a true RDS.

Is that significant enough for your purposes to choose a RDS vs. a LPVO? Maybe, maybe not. But to say that there is no difference is false.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I think it really boils down to your intended / imagined / fantasized application of a carbine is.

Some people use them as a long pistol.  A personal defense tool used for close range engagement.

Some people want to use them as a short rifle.  A gun more optimal for distance that exceed practical range, but is not useless for a close quarters engagement like a long range rifle would be.

It just shows how versatile and adaptable the platform is.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You couldn’t be more correct. The fact that the top performers and the people actually winning matches gravitate to the same type of gear set up in roughly the same manner is meaningless.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you're obviously getting upset about something here, but i'm not sure what it is

i didn't say they were worthless or better, simply because people use them or don't use them doesn't mean anything

Daniel Horner doesn't use one

Jerry Miculek does off-and-on

Joel Turner does

people are different, anecdotal use isn't empirical data

if you like them, nobody's stopping you. have a blast, or thirty
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

you're obviously getting upset about something here, but i'm not sure what it is

i didn't say they were worthless or better, simply because people use them or don't use them doesn't mean anything

Daniel Horner doesn't use one

Jerry Miculek does off-and-on

Joel Turner does

people are different, anecdotal use isn't empirical data

if you like them, nobody's stopping you. have a blast, or thirty
View Quote
Daniel Horner uses a LPVO.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And by that I mean speed of acquisition.   Exit pupil may be a factor at 6x, not 1x.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you done drills with a shot timer?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pretty sure he's plenty justified to shoot a deer at 110 yards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I take heavily into consideration what would constitute justification of lethal force.
What he said.

If you are that far away, you are not justified.
Stay with the red dot.
Pretty sure he's plenty justified to shoot a deer at 110 yards.
Yep what's good for the goose isn't necessarily the best choice of optics for the burglar
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

In what scenario are you taking shots at someone lying prone in a field, hidden?

SHTF? I'm disengaging almost every possible point to stay alive. The weight reduction of an RDS for me is worth the trade off of PID'ing someone at 400y I'd never have intention to engage.

If I'm putting 26 ounces on top of my rifle, it's going to be a thermal scope where there is true differentiation.
View Quote
What if you get engaged at 400 yards from a proned "BG"?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I would think that the weight of a RDS vs most LPVOs would be enough of a determining factor.

ETA: to make the RDS faster.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Daniel Horner uses a LPVO.
View Quote
yes, he does

and he is spectacular with it
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Everyone.  Give a shooter otherwise identical set ups and he'll be faster up close with the red dot.  Put a silhouette at 25 yards.  Break out the shot timer and see which setup allows you to get a center mass hit the fastest. Then start shooting from unconventional positions and see which one works best.  It will be the red dot.  The magnification of the LPVO isn't a benefit at close range, and its parallax, eye relief, and narrow eye box are detrimental.
View Quote
sure, that's true. But change the target to a half obscured or head shot only and see which is faster. I have run those kinds of examples and sure, with a dot on a full target in good light the dot is faster, especially if i'm standing on my head or similar. But standing, kneeling, prone, urban prone, whatever I've had good luck with the LPVO. fast and more positive that you're about to make the hit.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SHTF? I'm disengaging almost every possible point to stay alive. The weight reduction of an RDS for me is worth the trade off of PID'ing someone at 400y I'd never have intention to engage.

If I'm putting 26 ounces on top of my rifle, it's going to be a thermal scope where there is true differentiation.
A. Then likely he sees me first. That’s not the time to scan with an LPVO to see who blasts whom first.

B. I move the fight to my advantage or leave

C. My REAP IR makes it an eventual bad bad day for him

I had a LPVO and liked it. For day time I’ll take a lighter RDS. Night time is NODS and heat signatures galore. I’ll take an LPVO over a fixed mag any day
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#30]
A LPVO doesn't belong on anything other than a spotter's carbine on a spotter/sniper team, designed to play defense of the position or add additional firepower to a spotter/sniper position.

A LPVO doesn't belong on a 14.5" fighting carbine made to play offense.

A LPVO doesn't belong on a 10.3" or 11.5" fighting SBR to play offense.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A LPVO doesn't belong on anything other than a spotter's carbine on a spotter/sniper team, designed to play defense of the position or add additional firepower to a spotter/sniper position.

View Quote
Say's Who??
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can think that all you want.

A LPVO is never on the correct magnification power in real life when the fight starts.  Just because somebody does well with it in 3-gun doesn't mean that applies to the real world.

It is never as fast as a RDS.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A. Then likely he sees me first. That’s not the time to scan with an LPVO to see who blasts whom first.

B. I move the fight to my advantage or leave

C. My REAP IR makes it an eventual bad bad day for him

I had a LPVO and liked it. For day time I’ll take a lighter RDS. Night time is NODS and heat signatures galore. I’ll take an LPVO over a fixed mag any day
View Quote
Correct assessment.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#35]
double post
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

A LPVO is never on the correct magnification power in real life when the fight starts.  Just because somebody does well with it in 3-gun doesn't mean that applies to the real world.

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Really? You can't tell if your red dot was over vitals at 110 yards?

1st round hits at 177(unknown distance at the time) yards on 8" steel on 2/3 positions and hits out to over 400

I got third at this stage with 25 other shooters all using lpvo

That being said, I like lpvo too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wish this was in GD because I could speak my mind some what.....
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is unmitigated retardation.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#40]
I consistently put up times on up close drills faster with lpvos than I do with red dots. Also have had zero issues working vtac boards with lpvos in and out of gear.

RDS rifles' only advantage for me is that they are lighter.

This was my recent Run N Gun rifle and it was amazing.
20180908_170019 by B A, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:46:27 AM EDT
[#41]
A lot of you guys seriously need to buy a pair of binoculars. Talk about escalating a situation and probably putting yourself in trouble quick. Seriously carry some binoculars or a G33 magnifier that can be used to just look through or attached to a rifle if needed.

I'm amazed how many people want to identify other people by pointing rifles at them. WTF? If I were hiking/driving and someone was pointing a rifle at me, I would assume the worst and either shoot back or call the police depending on the situation. Pointing a rifle at someone to identify what/who they are and what they are doing is a very quick way to escalate a situation and probably get shot. You think you're better than them? you think they are alone? you think you're going to "win" in a gun fight? The best thing you can do is have binos, friends, a dog, food, water, phone, and a safe place to go. A rifle or handgun for serious DEFENSE of self/family, that's about it.

I've thought about this topic a lot because I've had to evacuate from hurricanes and I've seen flooding and bad stuff, but honestly the world isn't ending and mostly I was concerned about having a charger for my phone, laptop, a flashlight, wallet and cash, water, food, and my concealed G19 for DEFENSE. But I can't imagine carrying a rifle, you would draw a lot of attention and its not necessary.

I have also lived in Nevada for 10 years, so I understand some of these guys with the open land, but still, why not use binoculars?? When I'm driving out in the middle of nowhere just for fun, I bring a mk18 and a precision rifle, got a lot covered there, but I ALWAYS use binos to look out at other vehicles/animals/desert...whatever. I can't imagine pointing my rifle, thats nuts. And I dont want anyone pointing a rifle at me. I'm also always with at least two other guys who use rifles for work. I am very confident in our ability to protect ourselves, but I don't want to be in that situation. Why escalate things? why have people get hurt?

The only situation where I could see using a magnified optic is for defending your own home on a big piece of land, but again then this is not "bail out", this is you in your own home so might as well have a bunch of different stuff that fits every need.
"Bailing out" you are no longer defending your own home, so if you are using a rifle you are going to quickly be considered a threat by everyone. Maybe bail out with it in a backpack to then set up somewhere else to defend that, but again you're defending. Remember, the world is not ending, so when the dust settles you will have to defend your actions.

Defense, "Bailing out", do almost all = red dot.
Hunting = NF ATACR
Hiking while daydreaming about the world ending or whatever fantasy = LVPO, PEQ15, M600, beta mag, VFG, backpack with 8 mags and no water.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:52:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

50 yard target that is concealed with some camouflage, in the shade, behind some cover- good luck seeing it, let alone hitting it.  Even just 2x or 3x magnification in this instance is a huge improvement over a 2moa red dot.
View Quote
You need to move to a safer town.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 7:50:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A lot of you guys seriously need to buy a pair of binoculars. Talk about escalating a situation and probably putting yourself in trouble quick. Seriously carry some binoculars or a G33 magnifier that can be used to just look through or attached to a rifle if needed.

I'm amazed how many people want to identify other people by pointing rifles at them. WTF? If I were hiking/driving and someone was pointing a rifle at me, I would assume the worst and either shoot back or call the police depending on the situation. Pointing a rifle at someone to identify what/who they are and what they are doing is a very quick way to escalate a situation and probably get shot. You think you're better than them? you think they are alone? you think you're going to "win" in a gun fight? The best thing you can do is have binos, friends, a dog, food, water, phone, and a safe place to go. A rifle or handgun for serious DEFENSE of self/family, that's about it.

I've thought about this topic a lot because I've had to evacuate from hurricanes and I've seen flooding and bad stuff, but honestly the world isn't ending and mostly I was concerned about having a charger for my phone, laptop, a flashlight, wallet and cash, water, food, and my concealed G19 for DEFENSE. But I can't imagine carrying a rifle, you would draw a lot of attention and its not necessary.

I have also lived in Nevada for 10 years, so I understand some of these guys with the open land, but still, why not use binoculars?? When I'm driving out in the middle of nowhere just for fun, I bring a mk18 and a precision rifle, got a lot covered there, but I ALWAYS use binos to look out at other vehicles/animals/desert...whatever. I can't imagine pointing my rifle, thats nuts. And I dont want anyone pointing a rifle at me. I'm also always with at least two other guys who use rifles for work. I am very confident in our ability to protect ourselves, but I don't want to be in that situation. Why escalate things? why have people get hurt?

The only situation where I could see using a magnified optic is for defending your own home on a big piece of land, but again then this is not "bail out", this is you in your own home so might as well have a bunch of different stuff that fits every need.
"Bailing out" you are no longer defending your own home, so if you are using a rifle you are going to quickly be considered a threat by everyone. Maybe bail out with it in a backpack to then set up somewhere else to defend that, but again you're defending. Remember, the world is not ending, so when the dust settles you will have to defend your actions.

Defense, "Bailing out", do almost all = red dot.
Hunting = NF ATACR
Hiking while daydreaming about the world ending or whatever fantasy = LVPO, PEQ15, M600, beta mag, VFG, backpack with 8 mags and no water.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure most people who are referring to using the LPVO to identify are talking from a military/LEO/contractor standpoint, and those that aren't are not saying "I'm pointing my rifle at everyone to identify them" but rather "I am pointing my rifle at a perceived bad guy and this lets me see more detail just in case so I don't make a mistake". At least I assume so.

For a civilian there are still plenty of uses for a LPVO... hunting, 3-gun, versatile range toy, jack-of-all-trades rifle. And of course, LARPing. It's ridiculous for home defense for me, my house is small and a red dot is better for that role in every way (assuming I didn't just grab my G17).

But if I were just grabbing one rifle for an unknown use, such as joining a friend on a plot of land I haven't been to before to ring steel for the afternoon and I don't know if we're shooting 50 yards or 500... I'll grab the one with the LPVO and I'll have a good day. That's enough reason for me I guess.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not even a big fan of LPVOs (I prefer fixed-power optics) and I can tell you that your argument is completely at odds with reality. If you're "playing offense", magnification will give you a significant advantage, simple as that. If you are willing to accept the weight penalty, the LPVO offers far more capability than an RDS. I would argue that the additional ID/observation capability afforded by some magnification is more than worth the additional weight.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

A LPVO doesn't belong on an 10.3" or 11.5" fighting SBR to play offense.
View Quote
Lol.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
The supposed speed advantage of red dots is mostly bullshit IMHO.

Weight? Yes.

Speed to acquire? Not a measurable difference if you have a good optic in a proper mount.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I consistently put up times on up close drills faster with lpvos than I do with red dots. Also have had zero issues working vtac boards with lpvos in and out of gear.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1874/30962985778_ad6b807d2b_k.jpg20180908_170019 by B A, on Flickr
View Quote
This.  If you cant shoot from unconventional positions with a LPVO, you need to practice more.  I have no issues on a VTAC barricade or shooting under a car with a rifle laid sideways.

And the advocates for a RDS often ignore the issues of low light at increasing distances or situations with inclement light conditions.

I've frequently encountered lighting conditions where targets became indiscernible with my RDS and hits were still easy with a LPVO.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#48]
^ That depends on what you're doing with it.  In CQB/shoot house environments, that's a moot point as engagements are close, quick, and in range for the white light.

Red and LPV serves different roles that overlap.  Each can do some, but not all of what the other can.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Not sure if this video has been covered yet. As a NX8 owner I can't say it has great eyebox and eye relief. However, less than perfect sight picture actually has fairly limited effect on accuracy as seen in the video. I do believe if one trains hard with LPVO, one can get as fast as RDS...plus having the advantage of zooming in on further targets.

Magnified Opitc Parallax
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This.  If you cant shoot from unconventional positions with a LPVO, you need to practice more.  I have no issues on a VTAC barricade or shooting under a car with a rifle laid sideways.

And the advocates for a RDS often ignore the issues of low light at increasing distances or situations with inclement light conditions.

I've frequently encountered lighting conditions where targets became indiscernible with my RDS and hits were still easy with a LPVO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1874/30962985778_ad6b807d2b_k.jpg20180908_170019 by B A, on Flickr

Rifle purpose is key. HD, hunting (what terrain, distances), all around, and then personal situations like vision etc all play a factor. I’m 20/10 vision and like light weight, no eye relief optics. I can use it for most situations. I never plan on 300y engagements. I had an LPVO and found me rarely using it due to weight vs an AP micro. Again, if I’m throwing 1.5 pounds on my rifle, it’s thermal.
Page / 9
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top