Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wow.

Dick measure much?

Enjoy your optics. Like I said, to each their own.

You have yours, I have mine.
View Quote
......... says the dude that attempts to throw a sly comment in, trying to paint me like some sort of idiot for suggesting a very good optic, linking (2) threads that have nothing to do with what Im talking about. I gave the OP a suggestion for what he / she is looking for, provided quality info and facts about the optic, the options, warranty differences etc..............all you do is come in here like a middle school bully, beat your chest about owning one of the cheaper Aimpoints, and attempt to make a sarcastic point with incorrect evidence and then fail lol
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
OP.....the Sig Romeo 5 is very good for the money....they can be had at Brownells right now for $129, lifetime warranty on housing and 5yrs on electronics

I ran two for awhile, one on an AK (put about 600 rounds through it - 7.62x39) and the other on my Mossberg 500 (about 50 buckshot and 30 slugs).........They held zero, the dot was sharp, the glass was clear for the most part (ill get to that in a second), and the housing basically disappeared when running it both eyes open due its stealthy kind of lines on the body.

As far as the glass being clear: Indoor ranges, outside, around the house it was VERY clear unless you had the sun directly behind you (or your in a standard home / apartment height hallway and a bright light is right behind you).........then it had a red reflection that sliced through the glass diagonally...............you could still see through it just find, just slightly distracting

The Holosun 503GU did not exhibit that in the same exact angle / lighting, so I switched out the Sig Romeo 5's to the Holosun im suggesting since I liked the 65MOA circle dot the Holosuns offered anyway
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The links were brand specific, not model.

And sorry you're  not impressed with my AP optics. (It really was my goal all along ).
As for "painting you to look an idiot"?  I'd say you handled that all yourself.

And "middle school bully "? ( Not remotely sure WTF that shit is about)? Sorry your feels got hurt.

Your choice of optics are not duty grade. And like I stated earlier, IF THEY MAKE YOU HAPPY, SO BE IT. I can give a shit what you run. But over here, we do not gamble on shit that counts.
View Quote
EDIT: actually tigwelder, enjoy your evening man.  lets not cloud up OPs thread any further with difference of opinion

OP: heres a little trick if you dont already know.  Whichever optic you decide on, find it on botach and "make an offer". When they come back to you with their best price via email, go to optics planet live chat and tell them you have an offer from a competitor in writing and they will usually match it................When I bought the new 503GU Elite, optics planet had it at $271 with "free 2 day air shipping".........eventually they got down to $237.........botach had offered it to me at $217, showed the email to optics planet and they matched it......got the much better price through the much better company
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:41:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
ahhh the typical "Aimpoint or nothing" comments

Id rather have 3 holosuns for the price of a single T2........hence why I just sold mine last week

Heres a shocker: The average citizen is not going to be dodging IED's, swimming like navy seals 30ft under water if they need to defend themselves............thousands of flawless rounds through mid tier red dots = thousands of flawless rounds at bad guys.............Optics like Holosuns can take a VERY fair amount of abuse (more than the average person will put it through in defending themselves) with no issues

Boom, that just happened
View Quote
Some people can afford 3 T2's...

Some people like the best you can buy
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:43:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Respectfully suggest otherwise.  Leupold Deltapoint Pro.  Motion-activated, always ready when picked up.  Much larger screen/FOV than Aimpoint micro, duty grade, approved by USSOCOM.  Sits next to my bed on my HD rifle.  Heavily spring steel shielded.  I sleep easy.  Still on the original battery three years out now, left on 24/7 at a pretty intense setting to use with the weapon light.  Probably will replace the battery "just because" although low battery indicator has never come on to suggest a need.  Not criticizing Aimpoint, merely stating it is not the only duty grade game in town.  Not anymore.  RMR and MRO are also duty grade options, but I prefer this for a number of reasons.  These are beyond OP's budget, but are among the duty grade red dots that are more than ready to defend life and limb on a HD rifle where failure is not an option.

https://s20.postimg.org/vgyabhi2l/IMG_3170.jpg
View Quote
Have a link for that USSOCOM claim? I think I remember approval for the LCO....
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:43:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This...I've got an M4 atop of my Defender 2000 and regularly "clang" steel out to 300 yards.

Disclaimer:  My Club's longest range is only 300 yards.

https://i.imgur.com/uC0nkKO.jpg?1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Used Aimpoint from the EE.
This...I've got an M4 atop of my Defender 2000 and regularly "clang" steel out to 300 yards.

Disclaimer:  My Club's longest range is only 300 yards.

https://i.imgur.com/uC0nkKO.jpg?1
Like the paint job.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:46:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

......... says the dude that attempts to throw a sly comment in, trying to paint me like some sort of idiot for suggesting a very good optic, linking (2) threads that have nothing to do with what Im talking about. I gave the OP a suggestion for what he / she is looking for, provided quality info and facts about the optic, the options, warranty differences etc..............all you do is come in here like a middle school bully, beat your chest about owning one of the cheaper Aimpoints, and attempt to make a sarcastic point with incorrect evidence and then fail lol
View Quote
And your link leads to a story about a broken refurb optic
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:58:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Something I'd like to point out - Eotech's are "Duty Grade" but I'd trust about anything else including PA, Vortex, Holosun, even TRS25 more then them.  Take it for what it's worth.. just my opinion based on countless reviews over the years but Eos have the most percentage of problems based on everything I have read.

And I keep saying this but I think most just overlook it because it doesn't go along with their train of thought and argument.  BACK UP IRONS!  If you have them then why do you have to have the toughest red dot out there?  It isn't exactly gambling with your life if you have iron sights as well... and the chances of your Holosun or Sparc or whatever dying on you the few minutes of a firefight and not the many days/months/years you used it at the shooting range or patrolling the area or whatever is pretty slim to start with.

I get why people buy Aimpoints, if I was wealthy and money didn't matter I would likely put them on more rifles.  I am not wealthy so I have no problem running cheaper sights even on self defense guns since they would have back up irons no matter what.  I guess it just gets to me that so many people act like you are going to die if you don't have an Aimpoint and that you are just risking your life based on the quality of the cheaper optic and fail to include the fact that there is also iron sights involved for that what if scenario.  Not ideal I know, and I'd rather have a red dot then irons but they are proven and on the 1 in a million chance you need them they are there.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When I set up red dot sights for HD, I turn off my room lights and point my rifle with flashlight at the wall and trigger the the light. I would choose a setting that would be bright enough to not have to search for the dots. Doing this with the Comp M2 (when I owned one) the best setting was like 10/12 which IIRC was 2 settings above the 10,000 hour setting. So for my setup I assumed the battery would last 8 months max and had an alarm in my phone set to change it every 6 months.
View Quote
I do the exact same thing.  Setting 10/12 on my ML2.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 1:33:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Something I'd like to point out - Eotech's are "Duty Grade" but I'd trust about anything else including PA, Vortex, Holosun, even TRS25 more then them.  Take it for what it's worth.. just my opinion based on countless reviews over the years but Eos have the most percentage of problems based on everything I have read.

And I keep saying this but I think most just overlook it because it doesn't go along with their train of thought and argument.  BACK UP IRONS!  If you have them then why do you have to have the toughest red dot out there?  It isn't exactly gambling with your life if you have iron sights as well... and the chances of your Holosun or Sparc or whatever dying on you the few minutes of a firefight and not the many days/months/years you used it at the shooting range or patrolling the area or whatever is pretty slim to start with.

I get why people buy Aimpoints, if I was wealthy and money didn't matter I would likely put them on more rifles.  I am not wealthy so I have no problem running cheaper sights even on self defense guns since they would have back up irons no matter what.  I guess it just gets to me that so many people act like you are going to die if you don't have an Aimpoint and that you are just risking your life based on the quality of the cheaper optic and fail to include the fact that there is also iron sights involved for that what if scenario.  Not ideal I know, and I'd rather have a red dot then irons but they are proven and on the 1 in a million chance you need them they are there.
View Quote
In my experience, you waste a lot of money on cheap optics and on BUIS.  Years ago I bought a Bushnell red dot for a 10/22.  Compared to an Aimpoint it had inferior battery life, brightness, lens quality, etc. and it actually stopped working properly within a month.  So I was out the money for the optic, the money for the ammo, my time, etc.

BUIS adds a lot of complications.  A quality one or a set will run you between about $50 and $150.  Then you need to decide how you are going to sight it in.  You will have a zero for your BUIS with the optic off the gun and a zero for it with the optic on the gun, which will probably be different than lining your BUIS up with the dot due to parallax.  Just moving the dot to line up with the BUIS is inappropriate.  You need to decide now if you need a QD mount for your optic, which might cost you more.  Whenever you pick up your rifle you will be inclined to check the BUIS, play around with it, make sure it folds right, etc. which is a distraction.  You need to carefully zero it, which will require you to expend some ammunition ($$$).  If you make a modification to your AR (new handguard or something), and you might have affected the zero, you need to repeat the entire process.  And even after you've done all this you have a back-up sighting system that is inferior to your red dot because you can't see it in the dark.

Alternatively buy a $250 Aimpoint from the EE, put it in a simple non-QD mount like on from Aero Precision, torque the screws to the appropriate level, put some spare batteries in your gun, and be done with it.  If you need BUIS use the Aimpoint like a big ghost ring for the rear and the FSB for the front.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 6:26:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In my experience, you waste a lot of money on cheap optics and on BUIS.  Years ago I bought a Bushnell red dot for a 10/22.  Compared to an Aimpoint it had inferior battery life, brightness, lens quality, etc. and it actually stopped working properly within a month.  So I was out the money for the optic, the money for the ammo, my time, etc.

BUIS adds a lot of complications.  A quality one or a set will run you between about $50 and $150.  Then you need to decide how you are going to sight it in.  You will have a zero for your BUIS with the optic off the gun and a zero for it with the optic on the gun, which will probably be different than lining your BUIS up with the dot due to parallax.  Just moving the dot to line up with the BUIS is inappropriate.  You need to decide now if you need a QD mount for your optic, which might cost you more.  Whenever you pick up your rifle you will be inclined to check the BUIS, play around with it, make sure it folds right, etc. which is a distraction.  You need to carefully zero it, which will require you to expend some ammunition ($$$).  If you make a modification to your AR (new handguard or something), and you might have affected the zero, you need to repeat the entire process.  And even after you've done all this you have a back-up sighting system that is inferior to your red dot because you can't see it in the dark.

Alternatively buy a $250 Aimpoint from the EE, put it in a simple non-QD mount like on from Aero Precision, torque the screws to the appropriate level, put some spare batteries in your gun, and be done with it.  If you need BUIS use the Aimpoint like a big ghost ring for the rear and the FSB for the front.
View Quote
I don't care how expensive or great the red dot is on my gun I will always have backup irons so that doesn't cost me anymore to have them no matter what optic I go with.  I just wouldn't trust a self defense rifle no matter the optic without iron sights there as well.  And it really isn't that complicated to just sight the rifle in without a red dot on it, should take less then a box of ammo to get a pretty good zero.  If you ever need to use it in a pinch and you don't have time to flip the QD lever on the red dot chances are you don't need a sight anyways because your target is so close but if you do the zero isn't going to be off enough to hit what you are aiming at.

Right now all but one of my guns have a fixed FSB as that is what I like, but the other one with the Troy Alpha has a fixed LMT front sight on the front.  Not a big fan of flip front sights, but they are better then nothing.  On the rear it's a toss up for me on fixed DD,cut carry handles or flip up Troy,KAC ones.  I don't have the desire to fiddle with them all the time to check function - they just work like they are suppose to and IDK why they wouldn't.

You shouldn't write off all cheaper red dots just based on your past experience with a bad optic of a certain type.  The Holosuns I have are clearer and more crisp then all of the Aimpoints I have used, I figure the T2 is up there with them if not better though I just haven't had the chance to use one yet.  Battery life is also just as good at 50k hours, an ADM QD mount will set you back about $50-60 used here on the EE which most people put on their Aimpoints as well.  For me all the costs would be the same no matter if I used Aimpoint or Holosun etc., all except the red dot itself that is.

Not knocking what you like, just saying things aren't really as bad as you make them out to be - At least not for me.  Everyone has different experiences and opinions on what works for them though.  And as I said I can understand why others choose Aimpoint if they have the money to put them on all their rifles.  I'd likely put an Aimpoint on my main go to rifle if it had an ACSS style reticle like my PA Holosun does but I doubt that ever happens.  I just don't feel under gunned without the top name brand and wouldn't have an issue using it for whatever scenario came up.  As crazy as it sounds I prefer the Holosun ACSS on my main go to gun over any of my Aimpoints due to the reticle itself - it's just much quicker for me to get on target and put rounds where they need to be.  It is also an amazing reticle with my 6x magnifier I throw behind it sometimes as it has bullet drops out to 600 yards for when I wanna have a little fun out at some distance.  I know it's not the best optic out there but it's plenty good enough and I'd trust it over an Eotech anyday of the week which people have used for decades now in harms way.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Some people can afford 3 T2's...

Some people like the best you can buy
View Quote
This isnt a thread for those "some people"........this is a thread asking about small $250 red dots, which even then, the large Aimpoint PRO is not
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And your link leads to a story about a broken refurb optic
View Quote
Correct.......my link is about the correct model (unlike the reference that was made toward me) , the Aimpoint Pro, breaking AFTER it already broke hence why it was a refurb.......that means it broke twice, and AFTER Aimpoints "top knotch" guys rebuilt it.........prettty fitting
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Primary Arms with mount for <$200. a couple different ones to choose from
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wow. Still?
View Quote
yes wow, your still in a $250 red dot thread that has nothing to do with your economy aimpoint pro, contributing nothing at all to the topic at hand?
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Have a link for that USSOCOM claim? I think I remember approval for the LCO....
View Quote
Soldier Systems reported a while back that USSOCOM had determined that five optics met its durability and performance criteria for replacement of the EOTech red dots and were being evaluated for final decision.  To my knowledge they have never reached or have never reported the final outcome.

They were:  Aimpoint’s T2, Leupold’s LCO and Delta Point PRO as well as Trijicon’s MRO and SRS.

Can't find the link now but could probably "Google" it.

Of course, none of these are in the price range of OP's post, but my point was and is that Aimpoint is not the only duty grade red dot as someone suggested above.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Primary Arms with mount for <$200. a couple different ones to choose from
View Quote
Link to Atlantic Firearms

$140 and a lifetime warranty.  What else do you want?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:35:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:49:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
For what it's worth, I just bought a SIG Romeo 5 for $139 shipped from Brownells, now I see they are $129. I use it on a dedicated upper. I have no regrets and like it.

SIG Romeo 5

ETA: That was a dedicated .22 upper.
View Quote
My LGS swears by them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OP.....the Sig Romeo 5 is very good for the money....they can be had at Brownells right now for $129, lifetime warranty on housing and 5yrs on electronics

I ran two for awhile, one on an AK (put about 600 rounds through it - 7.62x39) and the other on my Mossberg 500 (about 50 buckshot and 30 slugs).........They held zero, the dot was sharp, the glass was clear for the most part (ill get to that in a second), and the housing basically disappeared when running it both eyes open due its stealthy kind of lines on the body.

As far as the glass being clear: Indoor ranges, outside, around the house it was VERY clear unless you had the sun directly behind you (or your in a standard home / apartment height hallway and a bright light is right behind you).........then it had a red reflection that sliced through the glass diagonally...............you could still see through it just find, just slightly distracting

The Holosun 503GU did not exhibit that in the same exact angle / lighting, so I switched out the Sig Romeo 5's to the Holosun im suggesting since I liked the 65MOA circle dot the Holosuns offered anyway
View Quote
Forgot about Sig Romeo 5's.  I have 4x of them on various Buckmarks/Mark series pistols.  For some reason, I can acquire targets faster using them than FF III reflex sights.  If I am not mistaken, they are made by Holosun as well.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I used several APs in the military that were POS. That being said, who knows how much abuse they suffered before they even ended up being issued to me. They did not hold zero and had terrible battery life (granted, this was 07,08,09) I’m sure AimPoints have changed quite a bit. EOTechs were a bit better, but apparently a lot of people on here don’t like them. I never had a single problem issue with any of the EOTechs I’ve used, and I have one on my HD rifle right now. I own Holosuns, DI Optical, MRO, EOTECH, and two Vortex optics (spark AR and Strikefire II). I do not own and will probably never own an AimPoint, especially at the prices they charge.

Anyway, the OP asked about budget optics, that are small and cheap. I would recommend Holosun. I have a HS515C on a Tavor. Another optic I’ve also had good luck with is the DI Optical RV2. It doesn’t the best battery life though, and is fairly large (about the size of an AP PRO).

BTW, I’ve even reading forums on this page for years and I have only posted several times.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:27:57 AM EDT
[#26]
For HD use... You just need a reliable red dot with an always on dot, and plenty of battery life.

Something like the PA Advanced Micros, works fine for that. Reliable enough that you don't need to worry about them crapping out, and tough enough to handle a bit of abuse.

HD isn't a combat environment. You don't need extensive waterproofing and beat it with a hammer ruggedness.

Plus, even if the dot does crap out, at HD distances, using the red dot like a giant ghost ring, works fine.

I don't recommend Vortex red dots for HD on battery life alone. They also have automatic power down, based on a timer. No go on a HD rifle for me... Always on, or motion activated if I can't get always on.

So if you are on a budget... Go with a PA... Or the Sig Romeo, as I hear good things about them.

That being said, all of my serious rifles have Trijicon or AP optics. And if the budget allows, I always recommend the AP PRO or Trijicon MRO for HD use. (I do not recommend the AP ACO, price is too close to the superior PRO)

The MRO would be my top recommendation, as I prefer the smaller size, but the exposed zero adjustments give me a bit of a pause... I have not read any reports of the exposed adjustments causing issues, but I haven't really looked very deep into it. Just the reviews and reports on the forums and some youtube vids. So in the end, it ties with the PRO for recommendation, and the PRO may have a bit of an edge, due to lower cost.

(And I know the OP has already made their choice, but others may come looking in the future)
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 8:50:22 AM EDT
[#27]
For $250?

Di Optical RV1

Built like a tank by an actual military grade optics company.

http://www.primaryarms.com/di-optical-raven-rv1-32mm-red-dot-sight-2-moa-rv1
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Optics planet has "demo" units and with the 12% off code from this site it is about $170 delivered.  I ordered one to try.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@Castillo @tfod

If you guys want to do me a solid, email me your thoughts on those DI optics after you've gotten used to them and thrown some rounds down range. We carry 'em but I don't know much about them except they are a Korean company known for making giant military sights for Ma Deuce / minigun type applications, and their square prismatic red dots look like they belong on a Klingon disruptor more than on an AR15.

Shoot me an email at [email protected], because I don't know enough about these things and don't own any of them myself. Cant steer people in the right direction regarding them yet.
View Quote
I will.   I had a friend run one, and his only complaint was the screws for the one he had holding the optic to the base were not loctited (I forget which DI model it was), but this is common with other brands and he should have loctited it before sighting in and going to the match.  In the Henderson Defense optic thread they ran them without issue on machineguns, but had an issue with the company so sent them back.

For what it is worth, PrimaryArms has always shipped everything fast.   OpticsPlanet was very slow in shipping my order.   They also canceled another order saying the item was not in stock, offered me a 5% off coupon to replace the 12% off one time use coupon I burned, and then a few days later sent me an e-mail saying the item which was out of stock is suddenly back but at an inflated price.   Therefore, I DO NOT RECOMMEND OPTICSPLANET TO ANYONE, but it was worth ordering for shits and giggles to throw on a very inexpensive build.

P.S.

If you get any Klingon disruptors in, please let me know.   Do they need to ship to an FFL since technically they are not a firearm?
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And sorry you're  not impressed with my AP optics. (It really was my goal all along ).

And "middle school bully "? ( Not remotely sure WTF that shit is about)? Sorry your feels got hurt.

Your choice of optics are not duty grade. And like I stated earlier, IF THEY MAKE YOU HAPPY, SO BE IT. I can give a shit what you run. But over here, we do not gamble on shit that counts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The OP didn’t ask for duty grade. He asked for sub $250. Reading truly is fundamental.

OP, Sig Romeo 5 and the PA are both great choices. You tube has great torture test on them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The OP didn’t ask for duty grade. He asked for sub $250. Reading truly is fundamental.

OP, Sig Romeo 5 and the PA are both great choices. You tube has great torture test on them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We all have opinions.  And for many, just a little time can take a budget of 250.00 and make it 350.00.  Why not wait and get something better?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep...  Though I'm really impressed w/the Trijicon MRO's FOV...not hating on Aimpoint (I've got five M4s), but the MRO's FOV is something else.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

We all have opinions.  And for many, just a little time can take a budget of 250.00 and make it 350.00.  Why not wait and get something better?
View Quote
Because I have 30 plus firearms and at least a third of them need this or that.  Some of them are outfitted with with no expense but others I stick to a budget.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The OP said "Small" and I am guessing he means the micros and not the M2/Pro/M4 etc size.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The OP said "Small" and I am guessing he means the micros and not the M2/Pro/M4 etc size.  
Discounting an M2/M3 due to size in this application isn't reasonable.  Neither is ruling it out over 50 bucks plus or minus.

Used full size Aimpoint is the way to go hands down for a bedside rifle if you're looking to spend as little as possible.

Quoted:
ahhh the typical "Aimpoint or nothing" comments

Id rather have 3 holosuns for the price of a single T2........hence why I just sold mine last week

Heres a shocker: The average citizen is not going to be dodging IED's, swimming like navy seals 30ft under water if they need to defend themselves............thousands of flawless rounds through mid tier red dots = thousands of flawless rounds at bad guys.............Optics like Holosuns can take a VERY fair amount of abuse (more than the average person will put it through in defending themselves) with no issues

Boom, that just happened
Nothing just happened.

Acceptable quality mid-tier red dots - of which I believe there are now quite a few good ones - have simply not been around long enough to have a proven track record.    That will probably change in the near future, but the near future isn't now.

The average citizen using a red dot on a home defense firearm will likely go very long periods of time without shooting it, checking zero, or checking that it even functions.   That is precisely when you want reliability.

On an HD rifle I'd worry less about smashing against trees and more about falling down in a closet.  People drop their stuff and bang it into stuff way more often than they'll admit.

Aimpoint micros are way overpriced, but they still sell them because people with pocketbooks are willing and able to pay for the reliability coupled with the small size.    If you can't, then a PRO/M2/M3 is the next best thing for half the price (or less, used).

Nothing wrong with throwing one Aimpoint on a rifle and then picking something else for the rest of them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:14:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yep...  Though I'm really impressed w/the Trijicon MRO's FOV...not hating on Aimpoint (I've got five M4s), but the MRO's FOV is something else.
View Quote
In what way is FOV important on these?   They are non-magnifying and are (in theory) shot with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:35:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In what way is FOV important on these?   They are non-magnifying and are (in theory) shot with both eyes open.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FOV is constantly misused in this sub forum. He’s referring to the size of the ocular/objective lenses which can be more forgiving in finding the dot.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
FOV is constantly misused everywhere.

We are looking at doing some edu-ma-cational videos for YouTube later this year, and one thing I want to do is a video on terminology. What are "eye relief", "exit pupil", "eyebox", "field of view", "erector ratio", "parallax", "tracking".

Ugh, "tracking"...

IV8888 did a video recently where he put our 1-6x24 second focal plane scope on an AK and tried shooting it out to 800 yards with cheap Wolf ammo (which goes transonic at about 500 yards, so, not so good results there), and the whole time he was talking about testing the scopes "tracking" without ever actually touching a turret. He meant that he was checking how true the BDC marks are compared to the rifle and load he was using the optic with, but "tracking" is how he expressed that. By the end of the video my eye was twitching uncontrollably.
View Quote
Would love to see that video. If done well it should be tacked
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#46]
The eternal brand debate, they're all the same.  When it comes to firearms and accessories, there is generally duty grade and hobby grade.  It's up to each individual to decide how much "duty" grade one needs, or more likely wants.  If money were no object, these decisions are almost always easy and obvious.  That should tell you something when it comes to brand debates.  But, money is almost always a concern, so the discussions and brand debates rage on.  Everyone knows which brands and products are superior, but most will simply chime in to extoll or defend their own purchases in hopes of affirmation or assimilation.   After all, the more people that agree with us or follow us, the better we feel.  Affirmation and assimilation.  There is no other rational explanation as to why people will go on for hours, days, even years trying to convince total strangers on the internet to see things their way.  But I digress, so back to RDS optics...

Generally accepted RDS truths:

There is Aimpoint, Eotech, and some would say Trijicon.

Then there is everything else.

Determine your wants vs needs vs budget, make your choice, and live with it.   If a $140 RDS works for you, great, it will probably serve you well within it's intended scope of use.  That said, the Voltron Strike Ninja 2000 or other budget RDS is not an Aimpoint or Eotech with a decade of use in combat by line units.  If you want or need that level of proven reliability and toughness, then spend the money and buy it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I have owned 3 DI optical products. Each one has been beaten, slammed, submerged, and impacted against trees as a self directed confidence test. They have been frozen, overheated via heat gun, and generally tossed about without loss of function.

Mil std 810g tested and for a far better price than aimpoints and many other "hobby" red dots.

In use by korean military. In use by the US on crew served weapons.

I trust these optics with my life and I can afford to outfit multiple rifles with them.

I would ask shooters on a budget to strongly consider them.

Just be sure to use loctite on the mount before you take it out. Thats my only gripe.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Erik is a good guy and I like him. Three points I want to make.

1. Hey, you can't say he's a paid shill for anyone or that we pressure reviewers to make a certain kind of video. I am a bit irked that he says "this kind of scope won't pass a box test" but then doesn't even try one. Kinda want to do a video myself of my 1-8x SFP on my recce build to show how it does in a box test, for good or bad. But I'm still a fan of Erik and the channel for sure.

2. At around the 8 minute mark he starts shooting at 300 yards and you can see the groups really open up. It's clear that this isn't a match gun with a match trigger, he's realistically shooting 5 to 6 MOA at 300 yards and it's pretty obvious if you know the size of his steel target. He's using ammo that goes transonic at 500 to 525 yards out of a 16" barrel, so you've got another 75 yards of destabilized flight time before you hit 600 yards.

So, lets say the gun still holds 6 MOA at 600 yards with ammo like Golden Tiger that's still supersonic at that range. That's a 36 inch group at best if everything goes perfect. But now the dispersion is going to be way worse than 36 inches because you have almost a football field worth of destabilized flight time. They start out hitting 3 feet low at 600 yards because the bullet is out of steam, then adjust with clicks to bring up the point of impact (see about the 19 minute mark). You can tell the group size at 600 is really really bad, bad enough that I don't think you can really make a fair judgement about whether the reticle is calibrated correctly or not.

3. A few years ago nobody even tried to shoot AKs at 600 yards regardless of optic. Now we're at the point where we can be disappointed when we don't get good hits at 600 yards with Wolf 7.62x39 ammo using a $300 Chinese scope, and wonder aloud if "this thing is worth a darn". That by itself shows how high expectations have come even for budget-based optics like ours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA748qCwfTA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would love to see that video. If done well it should be tacked
Erik is a good guy and I like him. Three points I want to make.

1. Hey, you can't say he's a paid shill for anyone or that we pressure reviewers to make a certain kind of video. I am a bit irked that he says "this kind of scope won't pass a box test" but then doesn't even try one. Kinda want to do a video myself of my 1-8x SFP on my recce build to show how it does in a box test, for good or bad. But I'm still a fan of Erik and the channel for sure.

2. At around the 8 minute mark he starts shooting at 300 yards and you can see the groups really open up. It's clear that this isn't a match gun with a match trigger, he's realistically shooting 5 to 6 MOA at 300 yards and it's pretty obvious if you know the size of his steel target. He's using ammo that goes transonic at 500 to 525 yards out of a 16" barrel, so you've got another 75 yards of destabilized flight time before you hit 600 yards.

So, lets say the gun still holds 6 MOA at 600 yards with ammo like Golden Tiger that's still supersonic at that range. That's a 36 inch group at best if everything goes perfect. But now the dispersion is going to be way worse than 36 inches because you have almost a football field worth of destabilized flight time. They start out hitting 3 feet low at 600 yards because the bullet is out of steam, then adjust with clicks to bring up the point of impact (see about the 19 minute mark). You can tell the group size at 600 is really really bad, bad enough that I don't think you can really make a fair judgement about whether the reticle is calibrated correctly or not.

3. A few years ago nobody even tried to shoot AKs at 600 yards regardless of optic. Now we're at the point where we can be disappointed when we don't get good hits at 600 yards with Wolf 7.62x39 ammo using a $300 Chinese scope, and wonder aloud if "this thing is worth a darn". That by itself shows how high expectations have come even for budget-based optics like ours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA748qCwfTA
I meant your terminology video
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top