Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Military contracts would be the only reason! If the military is Pushing the 1-8 I think they would jump in. The razor 1-6 has a nice reputation and the reticle is nice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vortex has already announced a lightened new version of their Razor 1-6x. I'd be surprised if they reworked that scope and release a 1-8x alongside it.
Military contracts would be the only reason! If the military is Pushing the 1-8 I think they would jump in. The razor 1-6 has a nice reputation and the reticle is nice.
I have multiple Razor 1-6 scopes and the only complaint is weight.  It may not have been possible, but I would have liked to see them reduce the weight down by 1/2 lb instead of a 1/4lb.   I would be interested in a 1-8 Razor for my Scar 17.  The two extra power would be nice at times

T
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think the center reticle is hard to see without illumination.

https://i.imgur.com/1e0pezx.jpg?1" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/1e0pezx.jpg?1
View Quote
I felt the glass on NX8 is better than my 2.5-10x42. Maybe it is just my illusion
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#3]
That is good news about the glass the G&A write up had me worried.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't think anyone really refers to any Trijicon product as "junk", but I feel there are differences in how much engineering is put into a given design meant for a specific application, versus many companies that just put out a product to say they have one, and check a box off on their product line. If you look at companies like Nightforce, S&B, etc, each optic serves a purpose, each optic was built to a specification, and there aren't similar versions of them in higher or lower models respectively. Looking at other companies, whether larger or smaller, you have a wide variety of optics from cheap and barely usable, to super high end and borderline the cost of a small vehicle. Without dragging other manufacturers names into these, as many of them I really enjoy their "higher end" offerings, many of them are using mass produced optics that are shared with other product lines, or clones of a similar brand made in the same factory overseas, or took an average optic with average features and slapped their name on it to establish value.
Think of it like this... When you buy a mustang, you have the entry level car at $20,000, and the fully decked out GT350 at 60K+.... Both come from the same factory, both are 90% identical, but youre spending $40K more on slight upgrades to the otherwise same chassis, which while it improves the ability of the car, it really doesn't change the overall quality of it - its still just a $20,000 car with 40K more stuff in it. On the same token, compare a Toyota Camry to a Lexus ES350 - arguably the same car, one is just fancied up quite a bit with nicer interior, more features, and double the price - again though, basically the same car. Now toss a Ford GT into the mix - There isn't an entry level model, there isn't a premium model, there aren't any features to add or remove, and it wasn't built from a $25,000 chassis and improved on so they could charge more. Much in the same respects, there wont ever be a $400 Nightforce, or a $400 S&B scope... A 10 year old Nightforce or S&B will hold value just as well as a new one (as seen on here consistently with their older and significantly less featured models)... and of course, you typically wont see them whored out for ultra low prices, offered for free with other combos, or otherwise devalued due to being mass production and sitting on a shelf for eternity.

To get back to where im going with this, Trijicon makes a LOT of VERY NICE products... ive personally invested MANY thousands of dollars on their products, specifically ACOGs, RMRs and other things, where I feel they were the innovator, and really invested heavily into R&D on those items. With that, however, I feel a lot of their newer products were also "niche fillers" used to make sure they had something to give in an area they may not have been making money, or felt they needed to check off a box on their product sheet. Does that make it a poor product? Not at all, however I also don't think it lives quite up to their reputation or name when comparing to some of their other offerings. If you look at some of the more popular optics today, and in the past decade, there are a lot that really stick out as innovators and game changers... The Leupold MK8 1-8 when it came out, the Vortex Razor 1-6 when it came out, heck there really hasn't been an ACOG replacement that anyone bought into, even though many manufacturers have tried. Even with the Delta Point and other micro red dots getting better, the RMR still tends to be the "household name" when it comes to those. Optics where the manufacturer sat down and really said "What do we need to build", and spent some time really researching and testing their products before launching them out.

Anyway I will get off the soap box, but I just wanted to clarify the new Nightforce offerings may be a bit late to the game, but obviously they are coming in as heavy hitters to provide something that was needed, instead of just adding something to their product line so they could say "oh, yeah we have a 1-8 you can buy".
View Quote
You’re right, the Ford GT wasn’t built on a $20,000 chassis. It was built around a $1000 eco boost V6 lololol

*cough*, I’ll see myself out....
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#5]
@fenixmike  how does the nx8 do on the scar 17? I want the nx8 for my Sr25 Acc for the weight savings but concerned about a 30mm eyebox for quick pickup. Was is very noticeable?
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@fenixmike  how does the nx8 do on the scar 17? I want the nx8 for my Sr25 Acc for the weight savings but concerned about a 30mm eyebox for quick pickup. Was is very noticeable?
View Quote
at 1X, the NX8 is no different than using an Aimpoint Micro... the red dot is bright enough to sear your eyeball, and relief is plenty acceptable; eyebox is not near as forgiving as the ATACR, but not bad either for fast acquisition. Where it gives way to the ATACR is when you are at 8x magnification... Eye relief/eyebox can be a bit finicky at that point, and this is where if youre using a barrier, prone etc with a larger rifle you will be fine, but shooting off hand, you may have a tougher time keeping your sight on the target if using a rifle with any sort of recoil above and beyond a 5.56. For what it is (a VERY compact 1-8x scope), its a fantastic design that would work great on a SR15, Scar 16, or many other CQ platforms that are also capable of 500 yard engagements, but if youre getting this for a SR25 with hopes of doing CQ and 1000 yard hits, you may not enjoy it unless you do most of your long range shooting on a bench rest or proned out. Im hoping both of my 1-8s will be here for my personal Scars in Feb, but while I was at Shot, I played with them again to address some of the questions I got on the other forums.

To try and answer your question the best I can, what is the ACTUAL purpose you plan on using the optic for? Me personally, I shoot my Scar 17 SBR to 800 meters, and rarely use my Scar 16 SBR for anything past 200, so I will have the ATACR 1-8 on my Scar 17, and the NX8 on my Scar 16. Both optics are setup for different roles, and knowing the quality Nightforce offers, they didn't just build a "cheaper" version of the ATACR with rolling out the NX8, but instead the NX8 is a purpose built "compact" 1-8 that fills a needed niche in the market where you want something with the size and weight of a 1-4x (granted, it comes with a performance penalty when compared to the larger ATACR), that comes packed with features, target turrets, fantastic reticles, and the ability to get 8x magnification when needed that most scopes only include with higher magnification and price point. I really like the idea of something this small and light that will spend 95% of its life at 1x, and once in a while maybe hit some 500m steel targets, where as with my Scar 17, I really don't go clearing rooms with it, I set it on a bipod and plink steel targets at distance, so it will spend most of its life at 8x.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the answer. I am looking for something that allows me to "run and gun " as well as hits some steel at longer distances at my range  which tops out at 550 yds. At the end of the day its not a work  gun but a expensive fun gun that also happen to hunt with. I currently have a mk6 3-18 that I do like quite a bit but wanted to take advantage of the softer recoiling 7.62 that the acc is and use it for some closer work when not running a 556 gun. The weight of the nx8 is appealing but I can see where the 34mm tube of  the atacr would probably be more beneficial.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

at 1X, the NX8 is no different than using an Aimpoint Micro... the red dot is bright enough to sear your eyeball, and relief is plenty acceptable; eyebox is not near as forgiving as the ATACR, but not bad either for fast acquisition. Where it gives way to the ATACR is when you are at 8x magnification... Eye relief/eyebox can be a bit finicky at that point, and this is where if youre using a barrier, prone etc with a larger rifle you will be fine, but shooting off hand, you may have a tougher time keeping your sight on the target if using a rifle with any sort of recoil above and beyond a 5.56. For what it is (a VERY compact 1-8x scope), its a fantastic design that would work great on a SR15, Scar 16, or many other CQ platforms that are also capable of 500 yard engagements, but if youre getting this for a SR25 with hopes of doing CQ and 1000 yard hits, you may not enjoy it unless you do most of your long range shooting on a bench rest or proned out. Im hoping both of my 1-8s will be here for my personal Scars in Feb, but while I was at Shot, I played with them again to address some of the questions I got on the other forums.

To try and answer your question the best I can, what is the ACTUAL purpose you plan on using the optic for? Me personally, I shoot my Scar 17 SBR to 800 meters, and rarely use my Scar 16 SBR for anything past 200, so I will have the ATACR 1-8 on my Scar 17, and the NX8 on my Scar 16. Both optics are setup for different roles, and knowing the quality Nightforce offers, they didn't just build a "cheaper" version of the ATACR with rolling out the NX8, but instead the NX8 is a purpose built "compact" 1-8 that fills a needed niche in the market where you want something with the size and weight of a 1-4x (granted, it comes with a performance penalty when compared to the larger ATACR), that comes packed with features, target turrets, fantastic reticles, and the ability to get 8x magnification when needed that most scopes only include with higher magnification and price point. I really like the idea of something this small and light that will spend 95% of its life at 1x, and once in a while maybe hit some 500m steel targets, where as with my Scar 17, I really don't go clearing rooms with it, I set it on a bipod and plink steel targets at distance, so it will spend most of its life at 8x.
View Quote
Thanks for this. I have two rifles that will likely end up with the NX8.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#9]
That NX8 look HAWT!!

Might have to scrounge for one.

-ZA
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Are these available anywhere yet or are we still waiting on them to be released?
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 4:18:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are these available anywhere yet or are we still waiting on them to be released?
View Quote
i have a ATACR on order from euro optic, not shipping yet hopefully receive by end of month. cant seem to find a used 34mm ddc Geissele mount anywhere :(
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I ordered mine on January first from Nightforce. I was told 90 days from then.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#13]
FYI, you can pre-order through OpticsPlanet for a bit under $1500 shipped.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I show 1,715?
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I show 1,715?
View Quote
Sorry. I should have elaborated.

You have to call them and speak to someone, but it was relatively painless. I think it came out to 13% off.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
me personally and everyone that i know has had bunch of problems with them. my buddy ordered a Reap ir about a month ago and just recently got his refund since they completely failed at actually getting one and shipping it. it was a real pain for him to get his money back.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Did they give you a shipping timeline?
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a 6920 OEM 2 with a URX 3.1 rail on it. Do you think the NX8 would be wasted on essentially a M4?
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a 6920 OEM 2 with a URX 3.1 rail on it. Do you think the NX8 would be wasted on essentially a M4?
View Quote
Not at all. I think that is what most people will be using them for.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 6:16:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

me personally and everyone that i know has had bunch of problems with them. my buddy ordered a Reap ir about a month ago and just recently got his refund since they completely failed at actually getting one and shipping it. it was a real pain for him to get his money back.
View Quote
This is the 5th optic I've pre-ordered from them. If you don't mind waiting they have the lowest prices around.

The timeline has been pushed back a few times, but I'm not stressing about it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Eurooptic says Nightforce told them in the next several weeks.  Those guys have the best pricing, IME.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This is the 5th optic I've pre-ordered from them. If you don't mind waiting they have the lowest prices around.

The timeline has been pushed back a few times, but I'm not stressing about it.
View Quote
i paid less with better customer service, once you have a problem you will understand.

i heard "Expected ETA for the Nightforce NX8 is first of March"
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

i paid less with better customer service, once you have a problem you will understand.

View Quote
Where did you order from?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, I posted to help other members get a good deal. What about you?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Try Mile High Shooting in CO. They were great on another NF scope for me last year.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
The ATACR or NX8?
I have been finding the NX8 for that, but not the ATACR mentioned in OP

Appreciate any clarification

My 13.7 needs more glass, and so do my aging eyeballs
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The ATACR or NX8?
I have been finding the NX8 for that, but not the ATACR mentioned in OP
View Quote
Now, what sounds more likely to you - an NX8 for a couple hundred off the normal rate or an ATACR at a $1000 off the normal rate?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Opticsplanet only offered 5% off through chat
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Now, what sounds more likely to you - an NX8 for a couple hundred off the normal rate or an ATACR at a $1000 off the normal rate?
View Quote
No need for that.  The way it was posted was not clear, so I asked.  There have been some incredible sales that I missed, and if he had a lead on a line of glass that was being discontinued for a new model or something, I wanted to know.

I have not shopped for good glass in a while, and am looking for an upgrade for a couple of my Trijicons.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#30]
The ATACR 1-8 looks great from the specs and what I've seen but damn $1000+ over the NX8 seems a bit crazy
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:24:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Where did you order from?
View Quote
i ordered ATACR from euro optic
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I handled the NX8 a Eurooptics booth at the Great American Outdoor Show in Pa last week. I really liked the scope as the size/clarity was spot on. I believe it will be excellent if you get to know how to use it and also work around it’s weaknesses. The 8x setting a shooter will have to be on their A game but that’s life and everything is a give and take as nothings perfect. I plan on putting one to use this spring after the impulse buying is done and I can pay a fair price.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm debating on the NX8, 1-8 ATACR, and the Elcan 1.5-6x Specter DR for a scar17. Looks like from what people have been posting the ATACR version would work better for a .308 caliber rifle due to the better eye relief at 8x. It seems hard to justify an extra $1000 over the NX8, however I know you get what you pay for. Can't wait to see some reviews on these scopes before I make a decision.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
My wallet hates your post. I was all set on an NX8 for my Scar17 until I read this and it makes sense. Seems like the ATACR would be the perfect optic for a Scar17. Did you find the reticle to be a little too busy though? I am currently debating this scope or an Elcan specter DR 1.5-6x. I was also looking at the new Vortex Razor Gen II E 1-6, however some people say the extra magnification of an 8x is perfect for a Scar17.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

My wallet hates your post. I was all set on an NX8 for my Scar17 until I read this and it makes sense. Seems like the ATACR would be the perfect optic for a Scar17. Did you find the reticle to be a little too busy though? I am currently debating this scope or an Elcan specter DR 1.5-6x. I was also looking at the new Vortex Razor Gen II E 1-6, however some people say the extra magnification of an 8x is perfect for a Scar17.
View Quote
The Razor 1-6 is an excellent optic for the SCAR and is littearly less than 1/2 the price .... I just personally can't justify another 2x being worth another $1400+

However I still would like to get behind one and maybe I would change my mind
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Got my shipping notice. Mine will be here on Wednesday. I got the MOA version.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Got my shipping notice. Mine will be here on Wednesday. I got the MOA version.
View Quote
Where'd ya order from? I don't know why I am so anxious to get mine, I have no mount yet....

(Eurooptic, NX8 MIL)
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#38]
I want the NX8 for a 20” 556 hunting type rig. Think the eyebox 8x is too small to quickly acquire a target offhand (think yotes/fox) ?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I would think so, but if you can hit it offhand, you could hit t with a lot less than 8X.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Anyone who has handled these care to share how they compare to the USOptics SR-8C w/Horus reticle?  Currently have one on my DD5V1 and I’m in search of a new optic for a 14.5” recce build.  I was thinking of just buying a used SR-8C but a the smaller 30mm tube on the NX8 is appealing for a 14.5” 556.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Looks like Eurooptic is expecting their first batch of Mil/Moa scopes any day now. They say all the Mil's are spoken for via preorders, but a couple MOA's available for purchase.

I am stoked for mine. I got hands on one a couple days ago and it is a truly awesome scope, I REALLY want to see the ATACR.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:00:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Looking forward to some of you guys getting hands on with these!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Got my NX8 today! Only got to play with it for about 5 minutes before I had to go to work. It is definitely daylight bright. It basically looks like my NXS 1-4x with a daylight bright reticle and it goes to 8x. At 8x the glass looks clear. It is very sunny here today so I can't say how it performs if it's cloudy out at 8x.

Once I get it mounted and out to the range I will post some more info. I am hoping to get to the range on Saturday.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Mile High Shooting has both versions of the NX8 in stock and ready to ship. Just ordered one this afternoon.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Mile High Shooting has both versions of the NX8 in stock and ready to ship. Just ordered one this afternoon.
View Quote
I've done business with them before and they are good people.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1.  I just bought a Wilson Combat 1911 from them and they were gtg.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Got mine! But there is an issue in the glass on the left side. Look likes it’s been chipped or not glued right

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#48]
After playing with the scope a little here are my first impressions before heading to the range.

-The illumination is very good.
- The reticle appears to be pretty easy to use on 1x without illumination. It is on the smaller side, but I can find it just fine.
- The reticle seems to be pretty large at 8x, but I haven't had a chance to look at anything at distance yet.
- I still prefer my Razor Gen 2 1-6x on 1x, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the NX8 at 1x.

I will have more information tomorrow and hopefully some pictures.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 11:41:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Did you guys order from Eurooptic by chance?... If so, when did you place your order.

EDIT: How did the inspector miss that issue?
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 1:14:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
After playing with the scope a little here are my first impressions before heading to the range.

-The illumination is very good.
- The reticle appears to be pretty easy to use on 1x without illumination. It is on the smaller side, but I can find it just fine.
- The reticle seems to be pretty large at 8x, but I haven't had a chance to look at anything at distance yet.
- I still prefer my Razor Gen 2 1-6x on 1x, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the NX8 at 1x.

I will have more information tomorrow and hopefully some pictures.
View Quote
for long range shooting, how is the reticle at 8x w/out illumination?
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top