Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2017 9:01:43 AM EDT

NcSTAR FlipDot
Anybody tried one of these yet?  Looks like they sell for around $89 shipped.  The brand is an immediate turn off, but you never know...I mean, Sightmark and UTG have been putting out some really great quality stuff lately.  It sounds awesome if it works as advertised - constructed of solid aluminum, weight without mount is only 1 ounce, uses RMR pattern mounts, and comes with a lifetime warranty.

They're the only company I know of actually producing a folding sight.  Hera Arms never released the flip up reflex sight they were teasing 7 years ago...

Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#1]
NCstar=no thanks
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, no. That thing's gonna die within a few hundred rounds on a pistol.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, no. That thing's gonna die within a few hundred rounds on a pistol.
View Quote
Probably. Need a better brand to make something like them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#4]
NCStar...

The slomo vid made it look like the sight actually closed and flipped open during recoil.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]
This has been needed.  Hope it works.  Hope other makers come out w/ 'em.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Ill get one and test it on my fnx45
See how long it'll take 45 abuse
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ill get one and test it on my fnx45
See how long it'll take 45 abuse
View Quote
It would be interesting to know how many rounds are fired before you need to use the lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Very cool concept.  

Make a spring loaded version where the sight flips open when drawing from the holster, folds back down when holstering and automatically turns off.  Don't know how they'd prevent the window from closing at the end of recoil, but that's their problem to figure out.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It would be interesting to know how many rounds are fired before you need to use the lifetime warranty.
View Quote
After 90 days it costs you a $10 "handling fee" every time you send your sight in for warranty work. It would not take much to have to pay twice for this sight...
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#11]
How long till it flat off in pieces.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:36:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Cool concept. But no thanks on NCStar
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
NCStar...

The slomo vid made it look like the sight actually closed and flipped open during recoil.
View Quote
Design feature: so the ejecting brass doesn't scuff it up
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#14]
NCStar is made of Chinesium and bad decisions. Hard pass
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:34:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
My bet would be that it will fall apart taking it out of the box.

If it survives the first shot, the second shot will not be anywhere close to the first, because the screen is spring loaded and will not stay or return to the same position, shot to shot, causing the dot to move relative to the target.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  If it survives the first shot, the second shot will not be anywhere close to the first, because the screen is spring loaded and will not stay or return to the same position, shot to shot, causing the dot to move relative to the target.
View Quote
How is the spring pressure on the screen different from spring loaded folding "iron" sights that don't lock in the open position?

While many Chinese products have poor quality control and most of their products are copies of other designs, we're talking about a country that's managed to put a space station in orbit.  Not all their products are crap, nor are all their products copies.  Let's see how it reviews - it might work decently.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

While many Chinese products have poor quality control and most of their products are copies of other designs, we're talking about a country that's managed to put a space station in orbit.
View Quote
And now it's crashing back to earth...
http://www.businessinsider.com/chinese-space-station-when-it-will-crash-2017-10

Pass
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:  And now it's crashing back to earth...
http://www.businessinsider.com/chinese-space-station-when-it-will-crash-2017-10

Pass
View Quote
Our Skylab fell out of the sky when I was a kid.  How many did the Russians let drop into the ocean?  Space is hard.  The Chinese are ahead of Japan, both Koreas, and every single European country other than Russia in space.  The Chinese can even launch astronauts into orbit on their own without using Russian Uber, like we have to.

Maybe this sight is crap.  But is it inherently crap?  I think we should wait for a review.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Been waiting for a decent manufacturer to come out with something similar.

They've had similar things for photography/telescopes for years, straight out of Call Of Duty, but it would have to hold up to rough handling and recoil.

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Maybe this sight is crap.  But is it inherently crap?  I think we should wait for a review.
View Quote
It's NCStar, doesn't matter where it's made, it's inherently crap.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
A few years ago people used to say the same thing about brands like Hyundai

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://petalmist.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2018-hyundai-genesis-2016-2017-.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://petalmist.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2018-hyundai-genesis-2016-2017-.jpg
And Hyundai upped their game.  There is no evidence that NCStar has.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Been waiting for a decent manufacturer to come out with something similar.

They've had similar things for photography/telescopes for years, straight out of Call Of Duty, but it would have to hold up to rough handling and recoil.

http://mycamera.co.za/media/product/6c0/olympus-ee-1-dot-sight-ee4.jpg

https://www.photolife.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/OlympusEE1_CLOSEUP.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Junk like the rest of their product line.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This has been needed.  Hope it works.  Hope other makers come out w/ 'em.
View Quote
I’m curious, how has this been needed?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I’m curious, how has this been needed?
View Quote
Compactness i guess
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:54:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If it survives the first shot, the second shot will not be anywhere close to the first, because the screen is spring loaded and will not stay or return to the same position, shot to shot, causing the dot to move relative to the target.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like the dot is lasered onto the glass so it shouldn't matter if the glass moves around as long as the laser retains zero
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:56:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:  I’m curious, how has this been needed?
View Quote
It marks the transition of the RDS from a pistol gamer's toy to a standard type combat sight that eventually nearly all pistols will ship with.

And for once, NcStar was first in the field.

The gamers have been proving the RDS' speed for many years now.  It's finally small enough to fit on an EDC Glock 26.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:05:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How is the spring pressure on the screen different from spring loaded folding "iron" sights that don't lock in the open position?

While many Chinese products have poor quality control and most of their products are copies of other designs, we're talking about a country that's managed to put a space station in orbit.  Not all their products are crap, nor are all their products copies.  Let's see how it reviews - it might work decently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  If it survives the first shot, the second shot will not be anywhere close to the first, because the screen is spring loaded and will not stay or return to the same position, shot to shot, causing the dot to move relative to the target.

No detents.  Soft pot metal, no precision machining, Chinese . . .

Watch it flop around in the video.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Looks like the dot is lasered onto the glass so it shouldn't matter if the glass moves around as long as the laser retains zero
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the glass does not return precisely to zero, the dot will not be in the same place on the target.  All reflex sights depend on precise alignment with the dot and screen/glass.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:05:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Some of y'all need to watch an AK rear sight in slow motion...
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:14:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Some of y'all need to watch an AK rear sight in slow motion...
View Quote
Trash can gun.
And a much different situation.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:31:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
NCStar...

View Quote
It was flopping around, obviously no locking mechanism is present.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's finally small enough to fit on an EDC Glock 26.
View Quote
No way an NCStar is going on my EDC.  The Shield RMS looks smaller than this thing.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Very cool concept.  

Make a spring loaded version where the sight flips open when drawing from the holster, folds back down when holstering and automatically turns off.  Don't know how they'd prevent the window from closing at the end of recoil, but that's their problem to figure out.
View Quote
This is exactly what my first thought was, too. Battery life could be crazy good if it's off when holstered.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Not only would I not trust the brand, but the point of an RDS is that it’s always ready to go. No thanks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#40]
why? just why? lol
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
why? just why? lol
View Quote
To make something like this Ruger Charger takedown with folding arm brace even more compact

Why u hate innovayshun?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, that's still a Hyundai.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#43]
My iPhone is made in China, but NC Star sure ain't no Apple and the design is an engineering disaster when you think about the diode beam to screen alignment issues.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#44]
It's an interesting concept for sure....obviously the brand name is not going to help them at all.

I would be curious to see the dimension of everything while folded.  It doesn't look that much shorter than a standard RMR.....I've been carrying my G19 with RMR for months now and the RMR isn't noticeable at all.  It doesn't print more, I don't notice it being there.  This seems to be searching for a problem to fix.

Now...if a slide manufacture, made a quality flip up red dot that sit flush with the top of the slide that would be cool.  That would let this expand to even smaller pistols that could be pocket carried without any increase in size.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Get LaRue to help it return to zero.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top