Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2017 1:26:54 PM EDT
I.used to own 4 but sold 2 years ago. I have a 557 and a 552 ( pre 2009) with very little use.

For both of them new were at least $900 combined. (on sale)

With both I have to store them with electrical tape in the battery compartment to prevent drain.  With the 557 one of the batteries exploded ( while in storage) causing a mild mess and the two rubber washers in the battery compartment to fall out. I understand there is a " fix" kit for this.

Since then I've only used lithiums but still store them with electrical tape.

The 552 has the rubber washers but they have stayed put.

In a nutshell, i don't trust them.  My Aimpoints have been 100% flawless and some of them.are still on the original battery and they are over 8 years old.

Looking for CONSTRUCTIVE advice please.

Should I sell them (at a loss) and use the money towards Aimpoints or other good gear?

Should I "fix" them and hope they don't  fail in some other way?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Sell them to someone you don't like.

As for fixing them, might be easier to buy a new battery compartment.  On my 553, when the battery terminals broke, I contact Eotech and they told me to buy a new battery compartment from one of their dealers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#2]
They sell the spring and washer fixes. The compartment is still good.

The 552 "fix" is cheap but the 557 one is more expensive. I think it's bullshit considering how expenseive these optcs are. It's a shame because I like the housing better than Aimpoint but the reliability of EOtech sucks. I'm 4 for 4 for problematic Eotechs. These things are practically babied on safe queen rifles, subjected to nothing remotely close to hard use and they FAIL!
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Why didn't you send them back and get full price?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why didn't you send them back and get full price?
View Quote
Didn't know I could do that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to give them a call next week because I have nothing to lose but I'm not holding my breath. They will probably tell me tough shit and purchase the battery fixes.....

I honestly would have been better off buying cheap Chinese red dots. Besides being more reliable, I could have saved a lot of money.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]
For most folks newer Eotechs are just fine...

If they can avoid getting their emotions and common sense triggered...
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Trade them on the EE for a couple Trs-25s.
View Quote
They are probably more dependable and the battery life is way better....
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah pretty much.....

Unfortunately, Eotechs are just a flawed design; in many respects.

Too bad because I really like the EO recticle better but you just can't depend on it.

Aimpoints are a KISS and more rugged optic.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I believe delamination continues to be a problem they do not have a fix for.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#11]
If there is a relatively cheap fix, at least for the one, I'd be doing that.  I think they are worth it.  But take that from someone who hasn't owned one.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:21:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I believe delamination continues to be a problem they do not have a fix for.
View Quote
Doesn't that typically happen after a lot of use?

A bigger problem is battery drain and sucky battery life.

The electrical switch I believe is the cause of battery drain. They should use a mechanical switch instead.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:35:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If there is a relatively cheap fix, at least for the one, I'd be doing that.  I think they are worth it.  But take that from someone who hasn't owned one.  
View Quote
Well I've owned 4 over the last 10 years or so. The 2 I sold were the N battery models. Then like an IDIOT I bought the ones I have now around 2010 because they are AA models ( on sale),  had much better battery life (on paper) and supposedly the bugs were worked out. WRONG!

I can spend around $30.00-$35.00 and upgrade the battery compartments in both but they still drain batteries in storage unless I remove them and what will be the next thing to fail on these infrequently used ( so far) " combat grade" sights?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:03:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Having bought one from Optics Planet back in Jan. 16,  Tan EXPS 3-0...to me they are worth it.  I've been using it on my AR pistol

and haven't experienced the issues what soured all you folks on EOTech.   Gave up on my AP Comp M4s due to my astigmatism.

Sold it and haven't looked back.  OP, sorry to hear that the 4 you bought were BO (bad order).   Those older models I would stay

away from.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Gave up on my AP Comp M4s due to my astigmatism.

View Quote
That's strange because now that I'm a little older Ive developed a little astigmatism, and the Eotech revticle is slightly bothersome. The laser projection is a little scattered like street lights at night. The Aimpoint for me iis just fine.

As far as the comp M4, although I think it's probably great,  I can't see what you gain  for the significant price difference over carbine, the PRO  or the older M2s and M3s ( Which I have)

I understand.the battery life is longer  but isn't 3 years or 5 years of constant use enough?

Oh and you haven't noticed any battery drain while ,not in use, with your new EO model?

If so, I wonder how they fixed that with the electrical switch? AFAIK, there is no way to completely cut off power with those.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's strange because now that I'm a little older Ive developed a little astigmatism, and the Eotech revticle is slightly bothersome. The laser projection is a little scattered like street lights at night. The Aimpoint for me iis just fine.

As far as the comp M4, although I think it's probably great,  I can't see what you gain  for the significant price difference over carbine, the PRO  or the older M2s and M3s ( Which I have)

I understand.the battery life is longer  but isn't 3 years or 5 years of constant use enough?

Oh and you haven't noticed any battery drain while ,not in use, with your new EO model?

If so, I wonder how they fixed that with the electrical switch? AFAIK, there is no way to completely cut off power with those.
View Quote
Shopping on the EE I have found great deals. I found a well used but functioning M4 for $400. To me the battery type of the older Comps and the PRO is a pain in the rear to find in Alaska and I prefer a local source for a battery. 
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Having bought one from Optics Planet back in Jan. 16,  Tan EXPS 3-0...to me they are worth it.  I've been using it on my AR pistol

and haven't experienced the issues what soured all you folks on EOTech.   Gave up on my AP Comp M4s due to my astigmatism.

Sold it and haven't looked back.  OP, sorry to hear that the 4 you bought were BO (bad order).   Those older models I would stay

away from.
View Quote
Yep, returned 3 N battery units during the amnesty.

Keeping the new ones that run on CR123's
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
A non-mechanical power switch inherently has parasitic battery drain.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Contact the Law Firm that is handling the Class Action Suit. I believe you can send your EoTechs to them - see the EoTech thread here
and do some research.
EoTech Thread
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep, returned 3 N battery units during the amnesty.

Keeping the new ones that run on CR123's
View Quote
Unfortunately I missed the "amnesty" lol.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Contact the Law Firm that is handling the Class Action Suit. I believe you can send your EoTechs to them - see the EoTech thread here
and do some research.
EoTech Thread
View Quote
Something to consider. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd sell them. Plenty of people still swear by them. Get a return and buy more, and better, Aimpoints.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Shopping on the EE I have found great deals. I found a well used but functioning M4 for $400. To me the battery type of the older Comps and the PRO is a pain in the rear to find in Alaska and I prefer a local source for a battery. 
View Quote
$400.00 is a great deal and in your location it makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A non-mechanical power switch inherently has parasitic battery drain.
View Quote
That's what I thought. No way to fix that ,so new models have the same problem.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I understand.the battery life is longer ......... I believe so...I'm on my 3rd CR123 battery.  I did a battery change for the calendar year whether it needed it or not.

Been to the range at least 30 times over that 16 month period.

Oh and you haven't noticed any battery drain while ,not in use, with your new EO model?........No battery died while in captivity.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 12:03:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Doesn't that typically happen after a lot of use?

A bigger problem is battery drain and sucky battery life.

The electrical switch I believe is the cause of battery drain. They should use a mechanical switch instead.
View Quote
I don't think delamination occurs due to use, plenty of shooters reporting delamination happening on low use guns sitting in a safe.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#27]
First step is that I'm going to call EOTech and see what they offer to do.

I won't accept any offer for a discount on a new EOTech. I'm threw with them but maybe they will send me a battery spring upgrade.

The 557 raised front sight base is a plus but I don't like the recticle. It's cluttered and the bullet drop recticle is useless without a magnifier. I'd actually be better off with a scope.

I may sell that one and keep the 552. Haven't decided yet.

I may get lucky and get $400.00 for it ?It's in pristine shape. Think I'd get that much?

I will report back and let you know what they say.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I just called 4 times and no one answers. I tried 3 different departments but all I get are recorded messages about the class action suit and when I call customer support,   I'm told to leave a message. I didn't. Will try again.

I hope they are just on extended holiday and haven't went out of business?.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I hope they are just on extended holiday and haven't went out of business?.
View Quote
I wouldnt worry about that... Try leaving the message as instructed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I wouldnt worry about that... Try leaving the message as instructed.
View Quote
I did . Let's see if and when they return my call....
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#31]
It's been two days and no call from EOTech. No one answers the phone, like the other day. I left a second message.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Update.

Good news for me! A guy finally ansered the phone (after over a week) and he's sending me the battery spring fixes for both my Eotechs; free of charge.

I posted what happened in two other threads where I brought up this.

So since they are sending me the fixes and I will certainly take a big hit if I try to sell my Eotechs now; I'm going to keep them and HOPE I won't have any more major issues with them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Received my battery fixes today.

I'm happy that EOTech decided to send them to me for free because honestly, they look like they are very cheap to producece and they should (IMO) give them to all EOTech owners for free.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top