BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By thecolter383:
I wanted to share some targets I created to assist in zeroing my Aimpoint optics. I was always unsatisfied with using other targets to zero my Aimpoints as I felt as if I was guessing whether or not to dot was correctly centered over the target. I created these to address my concerns and they have worked quite well and definitely speed up the zeroing process. I also have shot tighter groups using these targets.

The targets are ‘calibrated’ for use at 50 yards to obtain the 50y/200m improved zero.

The target consists of:
  • 1 MOA center ‘zero’ dot
  • 2 MOA green inner dot to correspond with 2 MOA optics
  • 4 MOA red outer dot to correspond with 4 MOA optics
  • Larger black ring to assist in centering the optic’s dot over the center of the target.
  • Bold gray cross-hairs to assist in centering the reticule on the target.
  • Grid lines with click adjustment references and adjustment dial references

When the target is correctly placed at 50 yards, the optics dot will completely cover the colored portion of the corresponding target. The black ring will assist in correctly centering the optic over the target for a near perfect hold (depending on if you do your part). Just shoot your groups and use the adjustment references to quickly move your point of impact. This should speed up the zeroing process and provide an extremely accurate zero at the same time.

Examples:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/8513818288_a2efb03a06_o.jpg

Download the targets in .pdf format HERE

Just make sure your printer scaling is set to NONE / ACTUAL SIZE and you should be good to go.

I hope this can be useful to others.

Adjusted 25 yard targets for a 50 yard zero

Here are 25 yard targets that will give you a 50/200 yard zero when used properly when you only have access to a shorter range. These were made to work with standard AR sight height (2.6" - 2.8" over the bore) using averaged M193 / M855 velocities from a 16" barrel. These should also help those using different rifle setups (barrel length) and/or heavier grain bullets get close.

Place the target at 25 yards. Your point of aim should be at the colored / bold outlined portion of the target. Fire your group. Adjust the point of impact to the GRAY DOT in the middle of the target. If you follow the adjustment grid it will get you there. The math works out to give you a 50/200 yard zero.

Be careful to keep the optic's dot centered within the optic itself as much as possible when zeroing at this range as it is not entirely parallax free at 25 yards. Also, be sure to verify this at 50 yards when you can as there may be slight differences in each weapon that may alter the zero (sight over bore height, co-witness, barrel length, ammunition used, etc.).

25 Yard Target Examples:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8522/8516619871_6ab107b2ef_o.jpg

The Aimpoint 25 yard - 50/200 yard zero target in .pdf can be downloaded HERE

Adjusted 25 yard targets for a 100 yard zero

Same instructions as the adjusted 25 yard targets for a 50 yard zero, only these are calibrated to give a 100 yard zero. Again, be sure to confirm your zero at 100 yards given the chance.

Examples:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8510/8517734678_6a7d8f428d_o.jpg

The 25 yard - 100 yard zero target in .pdf can be downloaded HERE

If printing in black and white, use the green targets as I've found they print better in grayscale.

I encourage anyone who uses these to leave feedback in this thread for future improvements or suggestions. If there are any other targets you'd like to see (different calibers / loads) let me know and I'll will work something up.

Also check out these targets 25M improved zero targets I created based of the common US Military Zero target. They have adjusted zeros for 50/200M, 100M, and the standard 300M zero:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7021/6554038077_37a7a73622.jpg

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/556355_Improved_25M_AR15A2___A3___A4_and_AR15_Carbine_Zero_Targets____Calibrated_for_50_200M__100M__300M.html
View Quote

THANKS!
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I not going though 9 pages on my iphone so if this was posted sorry
http://www.thebangswitch.com/the-50-yard-zero-for-5-56mm/

If some one could hotlink this for me

Link Posted: 12/29/2013 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 2:49:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maveric23] [#5]
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#6]
This greatly helped me zero my Aimpoint Micro.  Now I have a Leupold Mark AR 1.5x4 with the green firedot on a different rifle. Which of these would work best? The first one?
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By maveric23:
Here's the argument for a 100 yd. zero:

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/23123/zero-distance-for-a-home-defense-ar-15/
View Quote

I'm on this scenario, how convenient that you've posted this, and TRUUUUULY APPRECIATED!

Advance apology to the Admin/ moderator is this is the appropriate place to this query.

I'm limited to going to two range for BCM Midlength: Article 2 (25 yard range) or GAT ( 50 and 75 yard range)
Article 2 is my choice due mainly to proximity. This is where I started sighting my middy (iron sights only).  My experience is mainly on what I learned in the Marine Corp.
Article 2 is also where I co-witness my Aimpoint H1.
I'm okay with this setup since, I'm not into long range shooting. Mostly for home protection/SHTF. That's a separate thread.

In between getting invited to GAT, where a few friends took me to the 75 yard, of course my shots where wildly off.  Already I knew, I cannot use my H1 in this range.
So for 40 rounds, I had to walk my shots to bulleyes. Two shots and adjusting my frontsight, mostly going down, using GAT's rifle sled (which I'm not familiar, but, got the jest of keeping my shots steady.

Maybe due to excitement, I forgot that I may have ruined my zero for my intended purpose of owning this rifle.

So I asked to be educated on where is a better place to zero rifle again: Article 2 or GAT.  --- intended purpose again is for home defense/SHTF

I'm not against, seeking professional schooling since both offer classes or even getting a 3x multiplier scope to compliment my Aimpoint H1

THANKS in advance
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 6:51:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DIYinSTL] [#8]
Originally Posted By Ledanek:
Maybe due to excitement, I forgot that I may have ruined my zero for my intended purpose of owning this rifle.
So I asked to be educated on where is a better place to zero rifle again: Article 2 or GAT.  --- intended purpose again is for home defense/SHTF
I'm not against, seeking professional schooling since both offer classes or even getting a 3x multiplier scope to compliment my Aimpoint H1

THANKS in advance
View Quote

Unless you live in a mansion so big that it would make Buckingham Palace look like a doll house, the difference in sighting in at 25y for 200y zero or zeroed at 75y will be inconsequential in home defense.  And if you do have to shoot a home invader in the eye, just aim 2-1/2 to 3" high.  Whether you choose 100y or 200y zero,  go to the 50y range and get dialed in.  That way you won't miss and just take off his ear.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DIYinSTL:

Unless you live in a mansion so big that it would make Buckingham Palace look like a doll house, the difference in sighting in at 25y for 200y zero or zeroed at 75y will be inconsequential in home defense.  And if you do have to shoot a home invader in the eye, just aim 2-1/2 to 3" high.  Whether you choose 100y or 200y zero,  go to the 50y range and get dialed in.  That way you won't miss and just take off his ear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DIYinSTL:
Originally Posted By Ledanek:

THANKS in advance

actually, it IS a palace.
I take an elevator to go to main kitchen.

found this great write up also Zero Distance for Home Defense....to which I posted the same question.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm not a SOF sniper, but... heck, I'm not even a veteran... but, I have to disagree with the author's logic on the 100 yard zero, for me.

I shoot a 2 MOA dot on my AR, unmagnified. I have the irons sighted in at 50 yards. Quite frankly, it is about useless for precision work out at 100 yards, because the stock front post is about 6 MOA, best I can figure. Yes, I can try to line up the edges of the front post with the edge of a 6" bull, but really, it isn't going to be very precise with my middle aged eyes' focal depth. The red dot is a lot better, at 2 MOA, and projected forward of the muzzle, since it is closer to being in same focal depth as the target. But any way I calculate it, at 100 yards, that 2 MOA dot is going to be approximately the same size as the amount of hold UNDER you need at 100 to 150 yards. So, it can actually, theoretically, increase my precision, as I can use the top of the dot like a tangential aiming reference for 100 to 150 yards. I SHOULD never be shooting that far, and certainly not further. So, really, all the shots I should ever make as a civilian in self defense should easily be taken care of with a 50 yd zero. Additionally, because of my eyes, I can get a more certain zero at 50 yds than 100. For me, the 50 yd zero is the best option.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:16:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coltman77] [#11]
A most excellent thread!    

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Subscribed. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you!!!! Just what I needed to zero in my new AR.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you. I'm using these targets to sight in an ACOG TF-31 at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#15]
For the 25 yard adjusted 50 yard target, you set up the target at 25 yards, fire your group and when hitting dead center in the colored (top) target, you continue to aim at the top target but adjust your optic until your rounds are hitting dead center in the gray (bottom) circle? Then of course you actually verify your zero later with a target placed at 50 yards...right? I just wanted to verify I am reading and deciphering the instructions properly. I am somewhat dense.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
For the 25 yard adjusted 50 yard target, you set up the target at 25 yards, fire your group and when hitting dead center in the colored (top) target, you continue to aim at the top target but adjust your optic until your rounds are hitting dead center in the gray (bottom) circle? Then of course you actually verify your zero later with a target placed at 50 yards...right? I just wanted to verify I am reading and deciphering the instructions properly. I am somewhat dense.
View Quote

You are correct.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Are there MIL versions of sight-in targets like this somewhere instead of MOA?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:13:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Wow, awesome work! Thank you! This is exactly what I have been looking for. I think this thread is a very good candidate for a sticky.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Very Nice !!! Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#21]
For the red-dots, I put a 3" circle of white paper in the center of an 8" black 'Shoot-n-See'. I find the white dot in the black circle much easier to see with a red-dot sight at 50 yds. This is mainly for sighting in. Just range plinking, I use the same target without the added white dot. Red dots on targets are obviously not good for maximum visibility because the sight dot is also red. The targets featured in this thread do not appear to me to be of any particular use - you need a light-colored center that's big enough to easily see at 50 yds through the lens of the red-dot.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 1saxman:
For the red-dots, I put a 3" circle of white paper in the center of an 8" black 'Shoot-n-See'. I find the white dot in the black circle much easier to see with a red-dot sight at 50 yds. This is mainly for sighting in. Just range plinking, I use the same target without the added white dot. Red dots on targets are obviously not good for maximum visibility because the sight dot is also red. The targets featured in this thread do not appear to me to be of any particular use - you need a light-colored center that's big enough to easily see at 50 yds through the lens of the red-dot.
View Quote

they are designed to be shot from 25 yards, you then confirm at 50.

try them, it's a way easier and faster method than starting at 50
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the great targets, these have helped tremendously.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Very helpful, thank you
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Original post updated adding 25 yard targets for AK-47 rifles for those who shoot commie guns.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm printing a couple of these before going to the range today.

Thanks 383!
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks OP.

I wish I saw this the other day before guesstimating my zero at 25yd. Bump to the top so other posters can see this and don't have to guesstimate also
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks to the op for a very helpful thread!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 4:22:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Any way of making a series of targets for .308 AR's with optics, or would you use the AK with optics target series since it's a .30 caliber round?
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Scratching my head here, maybe someone can help me out.  I downloaded the PDF for the 25 yard adjusted zero target and when I look at the PDF the text is all in gray and the point of aim is red/green as described and the outer hash marks are grey.

But when I print the PDF what comes out of the printer is blue cross hairs, some of the hash marks are grey and some are blue and the point of impact mark is blue.

What the heck am I missing here?  There's nothing wrong with my printer.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Okay I just printed the 50 yard zero target and it looks fine, so I think something is hosed with the 25 yard adjusted zero target for 100 yards.  I'd just like it to print looking like the PDF itself looks, so if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Printed out;

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I sighted in at 25 and was hitting steel at 200  Thank you for these, very helpful
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#34]
is it only on my end? but these are no longer working, takes you to a generic looking search engine
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:47:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSU] [#35]
Originally Posted By scott_0:
is it only on my end? but these are no longer working, takes you to a generic looking search engine
View Quote

I downloaded these PDFs to my iBook last week.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#36]
The links are all dead now.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#37]
theyre back up!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks OP and Arma Dynamics.  Best MOA zero targets I've seen...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#39]
This is a tag
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Taking these out to the range next weekend!
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#41]
They are dead on. Wife has shot 8 Coyotes DRT on her daily rounds since I sighted her rifle in at 50 Yards. She's a happy camper.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 4:06:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fallenover] [#42]
Is the 50 yard red dot target supposed to only be about 2/3 of a sheet of 8 1/2 x 11? I turned it to no scaling just want to make sure.

Edited to add: I printed at fit to page and the grid measures at .5 inch so I am thinking the instructions are incorrect and you do want to scale and not print to actual size as the grid indicates 2 clicks=1 grid=1 moa=.5" @ 50 yards
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I printed the arma redot target on black/white and have a hard time seeing black/green/red at 25 yards with EOTech HWS. I can get the dot inside black circle (10MOA) but not quite sure where the dot is inside the black circuit. Is it because of poor lighting or I should have printed it in color. I can't believe people trying to hit this target at 50+ yards without magnification.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Bump
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:51:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Tribe] [#45]
Bump it up

THANKS OP
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Does anyone have these to re-post?  The original links appear to be dead.

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#47]
New member here trying to study up and learn. Any one know of live links for these files or willing to email copies if I PM you an address?

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 7:03:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By mbkintner:
New member here trying to study up and learn. Any one know of live links for these files or willing to email copies if I PM you an address?

Thanks all.
View Quote
To be honest, *for my eyes* the best zeroing target for a Red Dot was taking a 6" paper plate and making a cross on the whole thing with electrical tape. Then either zero POA/POI at distance, or mark where you want the rounds to hit (if doing one of the shorter range type methods) with a paint pen dot after using a ballistic calculator.

There is nothing special about the targets, they just use math to figure out the impact point, given height above bore, muzzle velocity, and the ballistic coefficient of the bullet being used. And unless you are using the exact barrel length, round, and sight height as the target was designed for, it won't be "balls on" accurate anyway. Probably close enough, but my 11.5" with Fusion MSR and a Romeo 5 - is a 50/160 zero. I say make your own
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

To be honest, *for my eyes* the best zeroing target for a Red Dot was taking a 6" paper plate and making a cross on the whole thing with electrical tape. Then either zero POA/POI at distance, or mark where you want the rounds to hit (if doing one of the shorter range type methods) with a paint pen dot after using a ballistic calculator.

There is nothing special about the targets, they just use math to figure out the impact point, given height above bore, muzzle velocity, and the ballistic coefficient of the bullet being used. And unless you are using the exact barrel length, round, and sight height as the target was designed for, it won't be "balls on" accurate anyway. Probably close enough, but my 11.5" with Fusion MSR and a Romeo 5 - is a 50/160 zero. I say make your own
View Quote
Thanks for the feedback. Anything you could point me towards that would provide some education/guidance on the bold above? I'm looking to do a 50/200 zero on a 25-yard range.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 10:01:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ogtaco] [#50]
uploading all the red-dot ones i have now

TARGET FOLDER
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top