Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 5:46:37 AM EDT
I am new to the world of the "black rifle", just bought a Colt Match Target M4 a few weeks back, and I am looking to fit a rail for the front end. I've looked at a few different rails, and the Surefire looks like a good system. Does anyone own one of these, and if so, how do you like it? Any other suggested brands I should look hard at? Any comments appreciated.

Long live the AR!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the M73 and I am a huge fan of it but there are others who do not like it because the top rail on the M73 is a little bit lower than the one on the upper receiver.  For me that is one of the reasons I like it, it makes the M73 a little bit slimmer than most railed forearms which makes it fit my hand better when using rail covers.  The M73 is extremely well made and is completely rock solid plus it comes from a company with the best warrinty in the business.  If the top rail thing doesn't bother you than I highly recommend buying one but if it does bother you I would look at the MI #17.  The MI #17 is just as nice and a little bit cheaper plus it's upper rail aligns with the receiver.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the M73 is a good buy for the money.  I like the smaller feel to it.  I don't care at all that it is slightly shorter than the upper.  I've tried 4 or 5 different rails on my guns.  I'd consider another M73 if I was in the market for another rail.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I had an M73 for a couple years. It was a very good rail.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the surefire rail on my Colt M4, works great. Rock solid. I only run a VFG & light, not effected by top rail. I use KAC panel w/ mine. -Justin
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I had an M73 on a carbine, Its ok ut the MI rail available from CMMG and others is much better built and more solid, Costs a bit less as well. Just ordered one for my CMMG midlength.
chuck
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I run an M73 on my RRA. It is very solid. As most guys stated above it did not matter that it does not sit flush with the upper receiver. I have a VFG and and my Surefire mounted to mine. No complaints here. The price is also very competitive and as already stated, excellent warrant through Surefire.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the M73 is one of the best non-FF rails on the market.  Rock solid!

I also like MI's #20 if you're thinking a free float rail

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, all! And nice pics, Glock... I appreciate it! The #17 looks good. The #20 is nice as well, but I don't want to have to go hacking to fit it. For range/plinker/home defense, is there a distinct advatage to free-floating? Thanks for being nice to a newb, by the way...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:53:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks, all! And nice pics, Glock... I appreciate it! The #17 looks good. The #20 is nice as well, but I don't want to have to go hacking to fit it. For range/plinker/home defense, is there a distinct advatage to free-floating? Thanks for being nice to a newb, by the way...

There is no big advantage to free floating unless you plan on mounting an optic on your forearm.  The FF one are nice but for a fighting carbine you definetly do not need it.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, guys... the advice is helpful. Any other brands/models I should consider? Having the top rail lower than my flat-top doesn't really concer me at this point, so that's a non-issue. If anyone else has pics, I'd love to see them... you guys have some nice toys!

Mike
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#11]
and enjoy your Colt.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks, guys... the advice is helpful. Any other brands/models I should consider? Having the top rail lower than my flat-top doesn't really concer me at this point, so that's a non-issue. If anyone else has pics, I'd love to see them... you guys have some nice toys!

Mike

Like I said in my previous post I am a huge fan of the M73 and it is extremely well built and completely rock solid so you definetly can not go wrong there.  It really depends on how much you want to spend.  You can buy some really good ones but spend over $300 for them.  I am a little biased to the M73 because I have one and I am also a big Surefire fan but it really is one of the best forearms out there and you can find them here in the EE for $150 and under.  If you want to save money than I would go with the MI #17 which is also an extremely well built forearm from a very good company.  YHM also makes decent rails for a little over $100 but I would stay with the M73 or the MI #17, IMO they are the 2 best for the money.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#13]
anyone not like the surefire rail?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:14:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

RAS owners . . . .because they paid too much
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:58:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

RAS owners . . . .because they paid too much

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I have had my M73 rail for awhile and have had No problems with it.It is rock solid,is one of the slimmest designs,all my Tango Down gear I have mounted on it fits great.Remember ...Blue Loctight
is your friend.But the best thing about it is I bought it here on the E&E for $130.00 shipped!!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top