Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 8:04:49 AM EDT
Checking with existing eotech owners.

Thinking about an eotech as a brush gun site for hunting (yes, overkill, unwarranted, etc.).

Anyway, wondering in practical use if people have had issues when the temps go sub 32, sub 10, sub 0.  I would assume the problem would mainly come from the cold batteries... but maybe someone knows of other issues.

Also, if anyone knows if either battery style does better in cold weather, that would be good to know.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want the most reliable EOTech for cold weather operation get the AA model and use Lithium batteries.  The soon to be released CR123 model should also be about as good but bit more expensive then the AA models.

Not really much of a test but I've used my 552 for a few hours when it was around 15 degrees outside and it worked just fine.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Use lithium batteries as Yojimbo posted for cold area usage.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:08:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I finally took a look at a holosight...yes, not eotech... but i wanted to have a clue what they looked like.

I don't think it's for me.  I concentrated on my targets...not the sight... but the sight still didn't "work" for me as a hunting sight.  I do see it as a good battle sight though...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:57:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Went shooting on the coldest day in December 2005 in Pittsburgh.  Never had a problem with my EOTech.  Of course I was only there for an hour and my body couldn't take much more of the wind!!!!!

I don't remember how cold it was but in the morning I know it was single digits and with the wind chill it was below zero.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top