Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2006 3:18:00 PM EDT
I'm looking for an optic that I'll primarily use from CQB out to about 100 yards.  I have a ACOG on my other AR which I love but I'd like to set my other up for more up close and personal occasions.  I recently unloaded my EOTech.....it looked like one big glowing blob....I know I know....look at the target not the reticle!  Sorry guys, I'm a front sight kind of guy.  I've been looking at the ML3...are there are any +/- of the M2, ML3, M3 etc.  I'm not a regular user of night vision but it might be nice to have the option.  Is the 2 MOA readily visible in daylight?  I'd like to have the smallest possible so long as it's bright enough.  Also, what would be a good Co-witness mount to go on my M4 upper with my BUIS? I'd appreciate any input.   I'm not to hung up on the price, I just want quality gear.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm looking for an optic that I'll primarily use from CQB out to about 100 yards.  I have a ACOG on my other AR which I love but I'd like to set my other up for more up close and personal occasions.  I recently unloaded my EOTech.....it looked like one big glowing blob....I know I know....look at the target not the reticle!  Sorry guys, I'm a front sight kind of guy.  I've been looking at the ML3...are there are any +/- of the M2, ML3, M3 etc.  I'm not a regular user of night vision but it might be nice to have the option.  Is the 2 MOA readily visible in daylight?  I'd like to have the smallest possible so long as it's bright enough.  Also, what would be a good Co-witness mount to go on my M4 upper with my BUIS? I'd appreciate any input.   I'm not to hung up on the price, I just want quality gear.  Thanks.

What BUIS do you have?
Generally the LaRue M68 Aimpoint Mount will lower third co-wittness with your BUIS.

ML3/M3 is water proof to a deeper depth, and has a longer battery life than the ML2/M2.
If money is truely no problem then the ML3/M3 would be the better option.

2 Series
-10,000 hours
-75 Feet

3 Series
-2 Dots Sizes; 2 MOA OR 4 MOA (I would get the 4, since you didn't mention that your using it with a magnifier)
-135 Feet
-50,000 hours

If I were in your boat, with an unlimited amount of money, I would jump on the ML3 and get the 4 MOA option. Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input Burkey.  I use a a GG&G MAD BUIS with the standard front sight.  Are there any mounts that will allow an "absolute" Co-Witness with the ML3?  I won't be using a magnifier...is the 2 MOA too small?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks for the input Burkey.  I use a a GG&G MAD BUIS with the standard front sight.  Are there any mounts that will allow an "absolute" Co-Witness with the ML3?  I won't be using a magnifier...is the 2 MOA too small?

Im having the same problem on which to use.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#4]
ML3 with the 2 MOA dot--turn it up and bloom it if you want a bigger dot--and an LT150. I think that LaRue also makes an absolute cowitness mount, but why is that important? You can still use the 1/3 setup as a ghost ring with the front sight, and the sight picture is much less crowded.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the 2 MOA would out ok for me.  I was thinking I'd like the absolute co-witness better as I'd like to have the same cheek weld for both irons and my optic.  I hate "swimming" for my red dot.    Does the LT152 allow for an absolute so-witness?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#6]
the larue does not absolute and does in the lower third
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think the 2 MOA would out ok for me.  I was thinking I'd like the absolute co-witness better as I'd like to have the same cheek weld for both irons and my optic.  I hate "swimming" for my red dot.    Does the LT152 allow for an absolute so-witness?

If you get the 2 MOA, I would put money on it that you would be swimming quite alot.
I honestly see now reason for you to get the 2 MOA, you said your not going to be using the magnifier. 2 MOA is more for precision work, if you want to be precise get a scope.
4 MOA is built for speed, just like what a reflex sight is made for. Whip your gun quickly up to your shoulder, and then put the dot on the target.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you get the 2 MOA, I would put money on it that you would be swimming quite alot.
I honestly see now reason for you to get the 2 MOA, you said your not going to be using the magnifier. 2 MOA is more for precision work, if you want to be precise get a scope.
4 MOA is built for speed, just like what a reflex sight is made for. Whip your gun quickly up to your shoulder, and then put the dot on the target.

I see no advantage at all to the 4moa vs the 2moa dot for an aimpoint.  There is no difference in speed of use.   Smaller dot size makes it a little easier to get a precision shot if need be.

The battery life (and 2moa dot) of the -3 versions sold me on the extra $ for them.  If you don't forsee night vision usage then get the ML3.  

As far as mounts, personally I find absolute cowitness to be distracting, so I got a "lower third" height mount.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I see no advantage at all to the 4moa vs the 2moa dot for an aimpoint.  There is no difference in speed of use.   Smaller dot size makes it a little easier to get a precision shot if need be.

The battery life (and 2moa dot) of the -3 versions sold me on the extra $ for them.  If you don't forsee night vision usage then get the ML3.  

As far as mounts, personally I find absolute cowitness to be distracting, so I got a "lower third" height mount.  

The 3 series are also offered in 4 MOA. I agree that a lower thirds co-wittness is preferable. That is the setup that I am running right now.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the added input guys.  Is there any difference in height between the 22M68 and the 22TX30(Tri-power) ARMS mounts/rings?  I'm looking at a slight used Aimpoint that has that configuration.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#13]
From Burkey

Now there's a man who knows the purpose of a red dot reflex Sight.........perfect example of what most people miss with the Reflex type sights........
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thanks for the added input guys.  Is there any difference in height between the 22M68 and the 22TX30(Tri-power) ARMS mounts/rings?  I'm looking at a slight used Aimpoint that has that configuration.  Thanks again.

ARMS no longer makes the best mount, but they are quite serviceable. You will want the full spacer, and make sure you loc-tite all of the screws, or you will have a loose optic within 1k rounds of install.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I think I'm headed for a LaRue mount.  I was considering a package on ebay that had an ARMS mount but I missed the boat!  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the help guys.  New Aimpoint ML3 and mount headed my way.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the help guys.  New Aimpoint ML3 and mount headed my way.

Sweet. May I ask what dot size you went with?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top