Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 10:14:52 AM EDT
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on a good optic for my MK12 Mod1 SPR build.

Not looking for anything with any ridiculous amount of magnification.  Maybe something variable with the highest power being around 10X or less

Money is an issue (build of the rifle cost a little more than I had anticipated) so I'd like to find something around $300.  Somethign with some sort of a BDC would be nice as well, but not necessary.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on a good optic for my MK12 Mod1 SPR build.

Not looking for anything with any ridiculous amount of magnification.  Maybe something variable with the highest power being around 10X or less

Money is an issue (build of the rifle cost a little more than I had anticipated) so I'd like to find something around $300.  Somethign with some sort of a BDC would be nice as well, but not necessary.

Thanks

For the price range, a good scope is the IOR M2, which is a poor man's ACOG.  It will cost around $350.00.  There are several reticle options and it has the BDC Cams calibrated for the 62 grain bullet.  With the CQT reticle you can use the lines underneath as holdover points.  And it is also illuminated.  Speak with Mike from CSGunworks.  He will hook you up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been thinking of using a Tasco Super Sniper on the one I plan to build. Would that be an inappropriate scope on this type rifle?

I've been into the retro builds and haven't been paying much attention to all the newest, hottest setups until just very recently.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#3]
super sniper would be my rec for the rifle.

i had the side focus model which was a damn fine scope for the money, very clear glass, tracked great, the whole works. sold to a good friend
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a decent 3-9 variable magnifcation optic.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:32:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

i had the side focus model which was a damn fine scope for the money, very clear glass, tracked great, the whole works. sold to a good friend

Cool. Thanks. That's the scope I had in mind.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool. Thanks. That's the scope I had in mind.

Not a good match for the rifle.  More of a bench rest scope.  Check out IOR by calling Mike as suggested.  Or buy it now and call Mike when you find out its not what you need.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the 10X Super Sniper on my SPR build. Love it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The SPR system was designed with a 3.5x10 scope in mind not a fixed 10X.  It is not the mission specific scope the weapon was designed for.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a great one for you..check my ad..if your interested we can make a good deal:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=333219
http://www.snipershide.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=004237;p=1#000000
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:27:03 PM EDT
[#10]
DonD, I see where you are coming from, but what would be the point of doing an exact copy of the SPR if it doesn't  fit 'your' mission.

After all, the rifle is going to be used for things other than killing a-rabs when in the hands of a civilian.

As such the 10x suits me fine, it's also less maths working out the distances using mils if its a fixed ten
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
DonD, I see where you are coming from, but what would be the point of doing an exact copy of the SPR if it doesn't  fit 'your' mission.

After all, the rifle is going to be used for things other than killing a-rabs when in the hands of a civilian.

As such the 10x suits me fine, it's also less maths working out the distances using mils if its a fixed ten

No problem with getting what you want.  Since you built the MK 12 Mod 1 SPR I thought your intent was to stay close to the orginial, it was my flawed assumption.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:44:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Hahaha, Fair point
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#13]
If I could make another suggestion, have you considered the Bushnell 3200 10x w/ mild dot?
I personally think that the Super Sniper is rather large for an SPR type rifle and the Bushnell is about the right size. At $180 it's 1/2 of what you're looking to spend, the glass is good, it has large knobs that are crisp and (more importantly)consistent and it has enough elevation to get you to 600yds or so (it has a 1" tube). The downside is that it doesn't have a parallax adjustment, but for 600yds and in-it's set sufficiently.
The best part is that when you get more money for better optics, it will be easily sold to further enable you to get the scope you want.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The SPR system was designed with a 3.5x10 scope in mind not a fixed 10X.  It is not the mission specific scope the weapon was designed for.  

Don, your correct. In my quest for a quality scope for a decent price I plumb forgot the SS was a straight 10x scope. But I'll have to check out that IOR M2. Same price range and better suited to the application.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Like you I was way over budget by the time my SPR clone was complete.  I searched around quite a bit for a decent scope at a resonable price.  I ended up with a 3-9X40 Burris Fullfield II with a illuminated "Ballistic Plex Reticle" which allows for accurate holdover from 2-500 yds.  Decent glass, holds zero. has Euro style eye focus ring and finger adj. turrets under caps.  Natchez Shooters Supply or SWFA has them for under $300.  I used Leupold steel quick release mounts on YHM 1/2" risers.  The only downside is having to remove the caps to adj. for windage/elevation.  The Stoney Point finger adj turrets would fix this though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I picked up a used Vari-X III Leupold 4.5-14x40 Tactical for my SPR/SAM-R ish build for ~ $400 . Nice bright scope with a good magnification range.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Like you I was way over budget by the time my SPR clone was complete.  I searched around quite a bit for a decent scope at a resonable price.  I ended up with a 3-9X40 Burris Fullfield II with a illuminated "Ballistic Plex Reticle" which allows for accurate holdover from 2-500 yds.  Decent glass, holds zero. has Euro style eye focus ring and finger adj. turrets under caps.  Natchez Shooters Supply or SWFA has them for under $300.  I used Leupold steel quick release mounts on YHM 1/2" risers.  The only downside is having to remove the caps to adj. for windage/elevation.  The Stoney Point finger adj turrets would fix this though.

I think that's a great scope.  Excellent brightness and clarity on the two I've owned.  The only downside for me was the 2-position illumination.

I'll probably get one for my AR10, since I have no need for illumination on it.

For slightly more than the cost of Stoney Point knobs, you can send your scope to the Burris Custom shop and have target turrets installed ($80).  Then you can purchase Kenton Industries' BDC cams and really speed up your shot-doping.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top