Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 10:05:36 PM EDT
So I bought a new AR this weekend at the gunshow, Im debating on putting an optic on it, but IDK what to go with..

Its a 16" M4 Proifile Barrel W Fixed FSB
Flattop Upper
YHM Flipup BUIS
Stag Lower
6 Position stock W/ FS Cheekpeice.

I have a Bushmaster HBAR 16"  With an eotec on it, but im looking for something a little different... Wanting to spend around $300 or so......

I was thinking of maybe going an aimpoint, How much do they weight in comparison to an eotec? I want to try to keep the gun as light as possible. What is a good mount for the aimpoint for a flattop
upper? The aimpoints do not come with a mount do they?

Josh
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:14:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Aimpoints do not come with a mount. I have the MI mount for mine and I like it quite a bit. The cheapest place I've found to get an Aimpoint is from Del-Ton.  

They don't seem heavier than an EOTech.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:21:29 AM EDT
[#2]
what do you plan on doing with the rifle?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:26:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
what do you plan on doing with the rifle?

Plinking....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:07:56 AM EDT
[#4]
might as well get a clone.

aimpoints require mounts and dont start out cheap to begin with.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:20:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
might as well get a clone.

aimpoints require mounts and dont start out cheap to begin with.

I thought that I read in the thread about the clones that you personally where not impressed... I would rather spend more and get a quality product than less for junk.

I am not worried about durability ofit as I take care of my rifles, I just want something that is acurate and holds zero....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:31:00 AM EDT
[#6]
i was not impressed and dont mind paying good money for good optics.

but with a 300 budget i would either save till i was able to get something good or buy a case of ammo and practice with irons or you could source an older used aimpoint. but even then in the price range including mount you're probably gonna have a hard time.

m2/m3 in larue mount is what i would go for in a red dot or acog in larue mount for a bit of mag
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:36:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i was not impressed and dont mind paying good money for good optics.

but with a 300 budget i would either save till i was able to get something good or buy a case of ammo and practice with irons or you could source an older used aimpoint. but even then in the price range including mount you're probably gonna have a hard time.

m2/m3 in larue mount is what i would go for in a red dot or acog in larue mount for a bit of mag

Well I can spend more, just looking for something around that price, not firm on it.....

I could always get an acog for my bushy and put the eotech on this
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#8]
A little cheaper alternative if you want an Aimpoint is to spend a little extra cash and get the M2/M3 used and mount it with a Burris Xtreme tactical ring. It wouldnt be good for being able to take it on and off but at $25.00 for it I think it would work fine till you could save up for a better one.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:42:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A little cheaper alternative if you want an Aimpoint is to spend a little extra cash and get the M2/M3 used and mount it with a Burris Xtreme tactical ring. It wouldnt be good for being able to take it on and off but at $25.00 for it I think it would work fine till you could save up for a better one.

BTW, you would only need one of these as the ring is wide enough to fit the Aimpoint just fine. Midway has them cheaper but I think they are backorderd right now.
Xtreme rings
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:43:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:44:36 AM EDT
[#11]
This is true but at $25.00 these are cheap and sturdy from what I have heard and they are an alternative for someone wanting to have something to work for now till they can save up for a better one. If everything I have heard about their quality is true I dont think any crying will be involved.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:49:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I am not worried about durability ofit as I take care of my rifles, I just want something that is acurate and holds zero....

Sounds like you should go with your irons. They are very durable and will hold their zero. With practice, you can be just as accurate with irons as with a red dot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:31:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like you should go with your irons. They are very durable and will hold their zero. With practice, you can be just as accurate with irons as with a red dot.

Sounds to me like you just described the ultimate plinking rifle!  On the serious side, why buy another (expensive) red dot for what sounds like a similar AR to the one you already own that fills the same task/need.  I would think about throwing that BUIS on the rifle with the Eotech mounted on it and buy an inexpensive carry handle.  Practicing/plinking with irons sights is not only beneficial, but can be fun and challenging as well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Why not just let him get what he wants and just help him with the question he asked?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Why not just let him get what he wants and just help him with the question he asked?

QFT! THats the only bad thing about the forums here, everything thinks they know what you should do rather than you.........

I am fairly good with the irons I shot my bushy for a long while just using irons before I got the eotech, and, now when I go shooting I stil use the irons without the eotech sometimes.

Josh
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I love iron sights but I am also a gadget freak so I like cool optics too. And yes, I do require my rifles to look cool so that is a prerequisit for any optic also After all, looking good is half the battle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I'ld reccomend a trijicon reflex.  It's in the price range and is a quality optic.  Once in a while in wierd situations the dot is a little tough to pick up but it's always there and those are the minority of situations.  

I have one and like it, my only gripe is that the sight is mounted just a touch high for cowhitnessing.  It can be done it's just not perfect; considering the optic is not very likely to go down and is always on and requires no batteries I don't think that is a major issue.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'ld reccomend a trijicon reflex.  It's in the price range and is a quality optic.  Once in a while in wierd situations the dot is a little tough to pick up but it's always there and those are the minority of situations.  

I have one and like it, my only gripe is that the sight is mounted just a touch high for cowhitnessing.  It can be done it's just not perfect; considering the optic is not very likely to go down and is always on and requires no batteries I don't think that is a major issue.

I thought about this, or a trigicon highpower... Cowitnessing is important and my front iron sight is fixed. I would like something that allowed the irons to cowitness in the lower 1/3 of the window.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#19]
its a tripower

if you want a good cheap reddot look into the armson oeg it is the reddot of the past and way before its time during its time. you can find them for about $100 used and work great.

search '"oeg" or "retro"  for some good threads on them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
its a tripower

if you want a good cheap reddot look into the armson oeg it is the reddot of the past and way before its time during its time. you can find them for about $100 used and work great.

search '"oeg" or "retro"  for some good threads on them.

I know its a tripower lol, i must have hit the wrong key and not proofed what I wrote.

I have seen the OEG Ill do some reading up on it though.

Josh
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top